Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T8KE0FF
Topic Author

Getting The New MacBook Air 11"?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Hmm. Im a devoted Apple lover, I have every single one of there products.. Its like a drug.. Yesterday, Steven announced the new MacBook Air's. They just look fantastic! Its a real pain lugging around my heavy MacBook Pro everywhere, so I think I might get the Air. But here is the issue I am having.. I can only afford the 11" one at the moment, and it has just 64GB of flash memory.. Do you reckon this will be sufficent? I have all my big stuff like Photoshop, X-Plane etc etc on my iMac so I will just be using my Air for browsing the web, school presentations etc etc.. But will it be okay?... Or should I wait till the 'Bank of Dad' is in a better state and get the bigger memory?

I want it NOW, so I don't really fancy waiting around for the bigger one though...

*confused*.

Sabena332

RE: Getting The New MacBook Air 11"?

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

I like the new MacBook Air as well but it is rip-off as every product with an apple on it (not that I expected anything else).

Patrick

Ken777

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 pm

My wife has one of the original ones and loves it. She's fast to complain when she has to hold my 13" MBP because it is "heavy & bulky".

The new 13" MBPs are going to be about the same in terms of portability and the 11" version is going to be even easier to move around.

In terms of display size the 13" is, for me, a sweet spot. But I'm still waiting for a chance to buy a maxed out iMac so my MBP is all I use.

Personally I'd let Santa (sorry, Father Christmas) know which one you would like for Christmas and keep your fingers crossed. The anticipation is almost as good as getting the real thing.

ALTF4

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 2):
Personally I'd let Santa (sorry, Father Christmas) know which one you would like for Christmas and keep your fingers crossed. The anticipation is almost as good as getting the real thing.

Boy, I wish my friends and/or family would drop $1,500 on gifts for me!  Wow!

The new one does look quite nice. I'd personally wait to save the $$ for the larger 13-inch one, mainly for screen resolution. Apple has fairly low screen resolutions for the price (not a slam on them, just a fact), so any extra you can get, you'll probably want if you ever have, say, web and skype or IM open at the same time.

128GB is a good size for flash memory - it allows you to install some applications you use quite frequently and have some space left over. You probably won't use it all up (which, with flash storage, you don't have to worry about the drive slowing as you fill it up), but having extra is good.

Save the $$ if you can, for now, and get the 13-incher.

Jetsgo

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:11 pm

The new MacBook Air's are the biggest pieces of shit Apple has ever slung at us. Overpriced and underpowered.   

OA260

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Not really interested in it , I love my iPad for travelling and my iPhone 4 for daily use , going to get an iMac around Xmas to replace my home PC but no use for the Macbook Air 11 TBH.

idealstandard

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 pm

I think the spec to price ratio is insane - even for Apple's standards on these.

MacBook Pro is far better value, and I'm sorry, but the 13" MacBook Pro is not a bulky laptop.

I run an Apple service company, and the previous two models of 13" MacBook Airs have been notorious for having the screen video cable fray (which would mean an entire top lid being replaced - sorry Klaus but it is the only "financially viable" way) - Apple didn't warranty this at all - claiming it was "consumer wear and tear and not fault". To be honest we've actually found the MBAs quite unreliable in terms of logic board and battery issues also.

We have dealt with about 100-150 in 2010 so far and I'm getting sick and tired of having to explain to customers the situation they are in (considering they have already paid over £1,000 for the laptops!)

IS

Klaus

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 pm

The 11,6" has a 16:9 display at 135dpi (1366*768),
the 13,3" has a 16:10 display at 128 (1440*900).

Physical resolution should be high enough for most uses.

The smaller one is probably best for people who either just want to write a lot and don't care much about a bigger picture or who really need the smaller size and weight. The bigger one looks better as a multi-purpose machine.

Still, both are high-end subnotebooks and no netbooks, so there's no money to be "saved" here – they are basically built cramming as much performance and battery endurance into the smallest possible format as possible today, not creating the cheapest possible entry-level computers or the most full-featured ones.

They are definitely not the ideal choice for everyone.

Ken777

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 3):
Boy, I wish my friends and/or family would drop $1,500 on gifts for me!

How do you think I've managed to saty married to the same lady for 40+ years?   

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 3):
Apple has fairly low screen resolutions for the price (not a slam on them, just a fact), so any extra you can get, you'll probably want if you ever have, say, web and skype or IM open at the same time.

You're giong to have all of those open on an 11" at the same time?

Quoting oa260 (Reply 5):
I love my iPad for travelling

That's you other option for light travel. The 11" MBA or a loaded iPad. The MBA wins IF you need the keyboard for heavy use, or the ports that it has.

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 6):
I run an Apple service company, and the previous two models of 13" MacBook Airs have been notorious for having the screen video cable fray

My wife got hers a few months after v1 was released and has had no problems with it at all. I do have AppleCare on it, but I used to buy extended warranties on the Dell notebooks I traveled with (before they moved support to India) - just the way I am.

[Edited 2010-10-21 22:28:48 by ManuCH]

ozglobal

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:51 am

Quoting T8KE0FF (Thread starter):

I want it NOW, so I don't really fancy waiting around for the bigger one though...

I think you may have a problem with addiction to new 'toys'. The best advice I can give you is to learn to postpone gratification and be happy with what you have. If you're like this as a young teenager, what will it be like when you're 30???

idealstandard

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 8):
My wife got hers a few months after v1 was released and has had no problems with it at all. I do have AppleCare on it, but I used to buy extended warranties on the Dell notebooks I traveled with (before they moved support to India) - just the way I am.

I'm not suggesting that all of them are faulty.......just a lot of problems repeat themselves in multiple notebooks.

ALTF4

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:50 pm

You're giong to have all of those open on an 11" at the same time?

I siad web and skype *or* IM - so just two open at the same time. Whats wrong with having two programs open on an 11-incher? Hell, I have two 23" monitors on my desktop, but I usually have 10+ applications open at the same time.

The MBA wins IF you need the keyboard for heavy use, or the ports that it has.

Or if you need some *real* programs and not just some silly games and background noise apps, or cirppled note-taking apps.

How do you think I've managed to saty married to the same lady for 40+ years?

Damn, I don't think I'll be in any rush to get married then!  
Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 9):
I think you may have a problem with addiction to new 'toys'. The best advice I can give you is to learn to postpone gratification and be happy with what you have. If you're like this as a young teenager, what will it be like when you're 30???

Well said. That is something I struggle with, too. Slowly but surely starting to follow that budget a bit better