KevinL1011
Topic Author

The Most Influential Rock Groups/Artists

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:15 am

I would say that The Beatles, more than any artist or group, have influenced the popular music we all enjoy today. Also, The Rolling Stones are important because they introduced white middle class kids to rhythm & blues music originally performed by black artist in the early to mid '60's during the latter days of segregation.
The Yardbirds also popularized blues music and launched the careers of guitar heroes Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton.

"Glam Rock" bands / artist like Kiss, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper and David Bowie all owe Iggy Pop (Iggy and the Stooges) for first bringing glitter and make-up to the rock stage.

Any others that you feel have shaped the music we enjoy today?
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

fridgmus

RE: The Most Influential Rock Groups/Artists

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 am

Great list Kevin,

but I'd also add the Beach Boys to that list, especially the wonderfully talented Brian Wilson who wrote some great songs that will live forever.

And of course:

Rock & Roll Will NEVER Die!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:24 am

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 1):
I'd also add the Beach Boys to that list,

Good point. Pink Floyd admired their harmonies enough to include them on the Wall album.

Superfly

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:26 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Thread starter):
I would say that The Beatles, more than any artist or group, have influenced the popular music we all enjoy today.

...and without the Beatles, we would have never had such wonderful lounge versions of their songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcm_LxkNdOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzP-KvfC8QQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bURqyvpTrdk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzhIa8FNGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEk4B0gzVNE

The Rolling Stones

Nah, I like Coca Cola, Nike and Budweiser better.
They've been consistant in delivering a good product.

"Glam Rock" bands / artist like Kiss, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper and David Bowie all owe Iggy Pop (Iggy and the Stooges) for first bringing glitter and make-up to the rock stage.

I love glam rock and the hair metal that followed in the 1980s!
Those bands paved the way for Whitesnake, Ratt, Motley Crue, Y&T, Bon Jovi and Dokken.

[Edited 2010-10-21 21:27:54]

[Edited 2010-10-21 21:28:41]
Bring back the Concorde

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
and without the Beatles, we would have never had such wonderful lounge versions of their songs.

The Beatles have to be the most covered band ever. I like the Sergio Mendez "Brazil 66" covers you posted. Ever heard Johnny Cashs' cover of "In my Life" ?

cpd

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:46 am

I'd suggest that Nirvana was also very influential. They influenced a whole host of others, not to mention a young kid from the the Central Coast of New South Wales, Australia called Daniel Johns.

Him and a group of friends who were known to be incredibly talented by their school teachers started up an incredibly popular band that would eventually become known as Silverchair.

It was the kind of music I grew up with.

There are a few others I can think of who've really pushed along the alternative music into the mainstream much more these days, and that would be Bernard Fanning (when he's working on his own) or Powderfinger (when he's with the rest of the group). So many of their songs went on to become famous. More the shame that they announced recently that they'd said all they needed to say, musically and that the group would cease.

The Clash was another big name, but to many people these days, mention the name and they'll not really know who you are talking about. But play "London Calling" and they'll know.

Green Day is another huge name that have become iconic, formerly for pretty superb song-writing, but more recently for anti-establishment messages in their music. What do I care though - the sound is still great.

Mudboy

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:46 am

I am a Metal Head at heart, but as a musician/songwriter have listen to all types of music.
Hard Rock-
Hendrix
Zeppelin
Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Proggressive Rock-
Yes
Rush
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
The Who

Pop-
Beatles
Prince
MJ
Madonna
Lady Gaga

Alternative-
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
R.E.M
Violent Femmes

Grunge/Rap-
Korn
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:54 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 5):
The Clash was another big name, but to many people these days, mention the name and they'll not really know who you are talking about. But play "London Calling" and they'll know.

I read an interview many years ago with Pete Townsend. If I remember correctly, he said that if not for The Clash, he would have given up on the future of rock & roll.

Superfly

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 4):
The Beatles have to be the most covered band ever. I like the Sergio Mendez "Brazil 66" covers you posted. Ever heard Johnny Cashs' cover of "In my Life" ?

Yes.
Even better, Tennessee Ernie Ford's version of 'Let It Be'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNnFY7i-RFU

Quoting cpd (Reply 5):
I'd suggest that Nirvana was also very influential.

Nirvana was influential the same way that AIDS and 9/11 was influential.
They killed rock music.
From 1991 onward, rock became untalented, angry rebels without a cause. I could never wrap my head around the pissed of angry attitude of grunge.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 6):
Hendrix
Zeppelin
Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Proggressive Rock-
Yes
Rush
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
The Who

All good stuff!     

R.E.M

Bunch of crybabies!   

I'd also add the Beach Boys to that list,

I need to pick up Pet Sounds.
I could never get in to the do-op acapella vocal thing of the early 1960s.
The Beach Boys did a phenomenal background vocal harmony of the song 'Wishing You Were Here' by Chicago.
Bring back the Concorde

cpd

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 am

Pearl Jam

Wow, how could I have forgotten them - more music that I grew up with. Though I dislike the newest album. Linkin Park never really did appeal to me that much. I can listen to their music, but it's not like Green Day.

But Greenday, I mean, who else casts the guy from "Billy Elliot" and another famous person in a music video that is almost a mini-movie in itself? The music video (Wake me up when September ends) was almost a production as big or bigger than the music itself.

And it's among the most powerful / tragic / controversial music clips. It really puts a different spin on the song. I don't remember any music clip in recent times that has caused such an uproar when the lynch-mobs were just about ready to attack because they thought it was unpatriotic and un-American.

But to other people, it's not unpatriotic - and has a different message. Makes them even more supportive of the war efforts in Iraq.

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:24 am

David Bowie all owe Iggy Pop (Iggy and the Stooges) for first bringing glitter and make-up to the rock stage.

I don't see how Iggy influenced Bowie since they both pretty much started out at the same time on different sides of the Atlantic. If it wasn't for Bowie producing an album with Iggy in 71 and taking him on his Station to Station tour in 76 Iggy probably wouldn't be where he is today, they have been very good for each other and have made some great contributions to each others music.

I would say Bowie has had a much bigger influence on music than Iggy. Bowie and Marc Bolan are
generally accepted as the creaters of Glam Rock.

Nah, I like Coca Cola, Nike and Budweiser better.
They've been consistant in delivering a good product.

I hope you're being scarcastic, since when has Budweiser ever delivered a quality product.

Other musical influences are:

Roxy Music/Brian Ferry/Brian Eno
Elvis
Queen

KPDX

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:39 am

Van F*cking Halen.

And many others like Rush, LedZep, Black Sabbath, etc.

Vmcavmcg

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:41 am

No one has mentioned ......

The Band
If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane!

Mudboy

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:47 am

Quoting Vmcavmcg (Reply 12):

The Band

What Band?

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:46 am

NoUFO

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:17 am

(early) Genesis
Peter Gabriel
(early) Mike Oldfield
Velvet Underground
Laurie Anderson
I support the right to arm bears

lapper

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 am

The Band

Indeed, many musicians, including Clapton himself state that Music From Big Pink changed their life.

Superfly

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
I hope you're being scarcastic, since when has Budweiser ever delivered a quality product.

Yes & no.
I was being sarcastic by not acknowledging The Rolling Stones as a rock band but a 'brand' instead. It's just interesting that they have a rebellious outlaw image yet they are anything but. A total corporate rock brand that charges ridiculous amounts for their concert tickets and they have sucked really bad for the last 29 years.
Tattoo You (1981) was the end of their creative era.
I just randomly picked Budweiser because they are a major corporate brand like Nike and Coca-Cola.
True it's not the best beer but out there but they're consistent.
One the other hand, I can respect KISS because they are brutally honest about why they're in the industry. To make tons of money and bang a lot of chicks.
Bands that like to pontificate about their political views and cry about the world's problems....(cough, cough..U2 ...cough)... are in it for the same reasons as KISS but will never admit it.

Other bands worth mentioning;

STYX
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Kansas
Electric Light Orchestra
The Police
Bring back the Concorde

tarheelwings

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
Other bands worth mentioning;

STYX
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Kansas
Electric Light Orchestra
The Police

In no particular order but influential IMO nonetheless (especially when it comes to basic no frills rock):

The Ramones
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers

KINDFlyer

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm

The Who

Was fortunate to see The Who at a local outdoor venue in July of 1997. Despite being well past their prime, the energy and stage presence were incredible. I vividly recall a teenaged boy and his father sitting in front of us. Prior to the show, the youngster was protesting being forced to see, in his words, "a group of ancient dudes playing oldies". Needless to say, by the time the set was closing with Love Reign O'er Me, Won't Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes, and Who Are You, his attitude had changed significantly.
This isn't flying. This is falling.....with style.

fridgmus

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Quoting KINDFlyer (Reply 19):
Was fortunate to see The Who at a local outdoor venue in July of 1997. Despite being well past their prime, the energy and stage presence were incredible. I vividly recall a teenaged boy and his father sitting in front of us. Prior to the show, the youngster was protesting being forced to see, in his words, "a group of ancient dudes playing oldies". Needless to say, by the time the set was closing with Love Reign O'er Me, Won't Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes, and Who Are You, his attitude had changed significantly.

Very Cool KF, Very Cool!!!

I've played my oldies collection (50's, 60's & 70's) for my teenage neice and nephew and while they didn't go heads over heels over it, they thought it was pretty cool, especially Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, sorry 'Fly, I should have mentioned that in my first post. I've read that lots of artists were inspired by it.

My 13 yr old nephew seems to have taken a liking to the funnier songs, like "Purple People Eater, The Chipmonk Songs and that song by the Trashmen, The Bird! I used to play that song to drive my Dad nuts!

I was also impressed with Australian Rocker Jimmy Barnes. "Barnsie" did a song called "Working Class Man" that sounded just great and is on my iPod on my "Favorites" playlist.

No offense to other forms of music (I like a little Big Band myself!) but, like I said all..........."Rock & Roll Will NEVER Die!"

Great thread Kevin!   
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

yooyoo

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Elvis
Queen

would be my picks as well.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:55 pm

I hate lists of "most influential" or "best" music groups, as everyone is influenced by their own particular set of predecessors.

Nevertheless, I'd probably vote for the Beatles as the most influential group.

Quoting cpd (Reply 5):
I'd suggest that Nirvana was also very influential. They influenced a whole host of others, not to mention a young kid from the the Central Coast of New South Wales, Australia called Daniel Johns.

Him and a group of friends who were known to be incredibly talented by their school teachers started up an incredibly popular band that would eventually become known as Silverchair.

It was the kind of music I grew up with.

Same here. When I first started listening to the radio around early middle school, it was all about Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Silverchair, Green Day, Bush, etc. In fact, I have a mix CD I call my "Middle School Mix", and it contains:

Corrosion of Conformity - Albatross
Cowboy Mouth - Janie Says
Days of the New - Shelf in the Room
Gravity Kills - Guilty
The Nixons - Sister
Stabbing Westward - Shame
Cracker - Low
Local H - Bound for the Floor
Rancid - Ruby Soho
Goldfinger - Here in Your Bedroom
Soundgarden - My Wave
Spacehog - In the Meantime

...as well as a few others I can't remember right now.

Just saw Alice in Chains in Vegas last weekend with Mastodon and the Deftones. Good show!

I am a Metal Head at heart, but as a musician/songwriter have listen to all types of music.
Hard Rock-
Hendrix
Zeppelin
Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Love'em or hate'em, Metallica has been a huge influence on metal. As have Slayer, Megadeth, etc.

Quoting cpd (Reply 9):
The music video (Wake me up when September ends) was almost a production as big or bigger than the music itself.

Probably better than the music, too  
To make tons of money and bang a lot of chicks.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that's why the Stones got into music as well  
Was fortunate to see The Who at a local outdoor venue in July of 1997

Nice, I saw them outdoors right around then as well. I sill remember John Entwistle's bass solo....incredible. I also saw them again last year. They still have some good energy onstage.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

PSA53

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm

I agree with most inputs.Here are my choices.

Pop:
Elvis
Chuck Berry
Beatles
Rolling Stones

Heavy Metal:
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Metallica

Hard Rock: (My Catagory)
Zeppelin
Hendrix
Van Halen
Who
Deep Purple
Rush
AC/DC
Green Day

Soul:
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
Supremes
Ray Charles

Disco
Donna Summer

Surf:
Beach Boys
Jan and Dean

One the most under rated but one that had far reaching effect in rock is Chuck Berry.

I almost forgot a band that deserves no catagory and would like it---
The Grateful Dead

[Edited 2010-10-22 11:16:00]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

WesternA318

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:13 pm

I love glam rock and the hair metal that followed in the 1980s!
Those bands paved the way for Whitesnake, Ratt, Motley Crue, Y&T, Bon Jovi and Dokken.
Quoting PSA53 (Reply 23):
Heavy Metal:
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Metallica

Finally! My biggest influencewas first Def Leppard and the 80's NWOBM (New Wave of British Heavy metal), KISS, Judas Priest, and these new metal bands from Europe like Hammerfall, Epica, Nightwish, Tarja, and Sonata Arctica

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Prince

I never knew Prince was such an awesome guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2tSGxGnJQ&feature=related

Prince starts at 3.30 in.

Jalap

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Alternative-
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
R.E.M
Violent Femmes

Pixies definitely are missing in this list, without Pixies there wouldn't have been Nirvana.
Once saw a documantary about the recording of Nirvana's Nevermind and "Smells like teen spirit" nearly didn't make it to the album because it was too much a pixies song.

Other band that surely is influential is Sonic Youth. Been going strong for some 30 years now, although their influence isn't one that guarantees hight chart listings  

Dance/electronical hasn't really been mentionned here yet but maybe a pioneer like Pierre Henry deserves to be mentionned. And personally, I like to think that Underworld also has had a major unfluence on the European dance scene.

slider

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 pm

I would say that The Beatles, more than any artist or group, have influenced the popular music we all enjoy today.

Even John Lennon said there would have been no Beatles had there not been a Chuck Berry. They worshiped at that altar long before they were huge themselves. Chuck Berry is the trunk of the tree, as it were.

Otherwise, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton are the biggest rock influencing guitarists. Certainly, each of them would rightfully tip their hats to the great blues masters who inspired them, but in modern day rock/blues, those two set the table for everyone after, from SRV on.

WesternA318

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:15 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 27):
but in modern day rock/blues, those two set the table for everyone after, from SRV on.

As did Jimmy Page and Pete Townsend.

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:42 pm

I don't see how Iggy influenced Bowie since they both pretty much started out at the same time on different sides of the Atlantic.

Iggy and the (Psychedelic) Stooges were performing theatrics considered bizarre for those times ('67-'68) which included performing shirtless, smearing meat on his chest, cutting himself, crowd diving and wearing facial makeup. These antics partially inspired Bowie to take an interest in Iggys' career and help him recover from heroin addiction.

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 20):
Great thread Kevin!

Thanks Bro! I get sick of all the political arguing in this forum and think we should have more fun instead.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 25):
I never knew Prince was such an awesome guitar player.

I hear he is also a good basketball player.

connies4ever

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Overall, this is always going to be a thread about personal likes/dislikes, and there will be no firm standards for "who was th ebest" or "who was th emost influential". Most everyone has suggested at least one or another worthy group or individual.

My take is that to have had a big influence, they group/individual almost certainly need sot harken back to th elate 50s/60s/into the 70s to affect the direction of pop music. But that's just me. Others may have a different p.o.v.

Some comments:

but I'd also add the Beach Boys to that list, especially the wonderfully talented Brian Wilson who wrote some great songs that will live forever.

Indeed, BW brought the theremon virtually out of retirement. Hadn't heard it before at tha ttime, but shortly after "Good Vibrations" was released I just happened to see "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on the late show. Coincidence ? I think not.

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 2):
Good point. Pink Floyd admired their harmonies enough to include them on the Wall album.

Yep.

Quoting cpd (Reply 5):
I'd suggest that Nirvana was also very influential.

?? Really ?? I always thought their music was, well, rubbish. And grunge in general.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
Even better, Tennessee Ernie Ford's version of 'Let It Be'.

After "The Long and Winding Road" IMHO the worst song ever penned and released under the Beatles label. Just boring.

Well, like many Canadians, we tend to think of American mass-produced beer as like making love in a canoe, because it's ****ing near water.   Corona as well.
The Band
Quoting lapper (Reply 16):
Indeed, many musicians, including Clapton himself state that Music From Big Pink changed their life.

One of the most enjoyable albums I have ever heard, and, even after they split up, much good music from the individuals in The Band. Robbie Robertson in particular in "Storyville".

Was fortunate to see The Who at a local outdoor venue in July of 1997.

Saw the lads at the Winnipeg Arena in 1967 as a warm-up (if you can believe it) for Paul Revere and the Raiders (definitely not an influential band) and also at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club more than once in the 70s. And at lunch one time! Just superb.

Nods to Bowie, Iggy, and the Ramones as well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Bowie and Marc Bolan are

Not sure if they created glam rock however they certainly gave the music industry a reason to coin a term for the genre.

Brian Ferry/Brian Eno

Good call! Not to forget guitarist Phil Manzanera! Ever listened to "801 Live" ?

4holer

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 31):
Bowie and Marc Bolan are

Not sure if they created glam rock however they certainly gave the music industry a reason to coin a term for the genre.

Don't forget that both Bolan and Bowie worshipped Syd Barrett of early Pink Floyd.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 30):
?? Really ?? I always thought their music was, well, rubbish. And grunge in general.

Doesn't change their influence, for better or for worse.

As you suggested, it's very difficult to separate likes/dislikes from influence. And there's no real way to measure influence, except by asking all current musicians by whom they were influenced.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

aaflt1871

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Where did everybody go?

Aaron747

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 pm

All of the usual and appropriate suspects have appeared on the above lists. Though there's a couple notable acts missing:

The Kinks
Santana
Paul Simon

The latter two really did a lot to start bringing ethnic music into the mix of traditional rock/pop in a popular sense.

And of course, these guys' bombastic blend of heart-on-sleeve, multimedia-infused, atmospheric songs have been fun to watch over the years: Plenty of naysayers, yes, but Robbie Robertson and the Boss are right there in the front row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_PIqx8J71Y
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TheRedBaron

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

sorry, I like Prince, but he can hold a candle..against this guy:

same song, most awesome solo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Xi8BHwGpg
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

n6238p

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:19 am

Overall, this is always going to be a thread about personal likes/dislikes, and there will be no firm standards for "who was th ebest" or "who was th emost influential". Most everyone has suggested at least one or another worthy group or individual.

I agree with this and honestly music didn't start in the 50's. Robert Johnson should be the artist along with many Delta blues players from the 1920's gave us the start to everything that we know of today. Cadillac Records, the story about Chess records gave us a lot of history of what started the rock movement. But thats not fun to talk about even though without it, we wouldn't have what we have today. How far music has evolved is amazing but we gotta give props to who started everything.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Kiwirob

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:38 am

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 36):
sorry, I like Prince, but he can hold a candle..against this guy:

same song, most awesome solo....

Awesome, but Prince looks cooler and more stylish doing it. Clapton also does a pretty good job (as he should).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABu_m9FtZ4&feature=related

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 pm

we tend to think of American mass-produced beer as like making love in a canoe, because it's ****ing near water.

Chuck Berry is the trunk of the tree, as it were.

Good call. That tree may well have grown in Memphis Tennessee. Blues musicians from Chicago,and Gospel musicians from New Orleans were brought together in Memphis by guys like Chuck Berry, Rufus Thomas, BB King and Elvis.

Quoting lapper (Reply 16):
Music From Big Pink
   Chest Fever

Despite being well past their prime, the energy and stage presence were incredible.

OMG...their Superbowl appearance was a disaster!

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 20):
I've played my oldies collection (50's, 60's & 70's) for my teenage neice and nephew
On vynil no doubt.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 22):
Just saw Alice in Chains in Vegas last weekend with Mastodon and the Deftones. Good show!
Whaaaat? And you didn't text me a pic?   

I hate lists of "most influential" or "best" music groups, as everyone is influenced by their own particular set of predecessors.
But, that's the point. It's interesting to get a different perspective or learn something new such as....
Quoting 4holer (Reply 32):
Don't forget that both Bolan and Bowie worshipped Syd Barrett of early Pink Floyd.
I did not know that.

I still remember John Entwistle's bass solo....incredible.
We could start another thread just about Bassist. Entwistle and Chris Squire are my favs. Listen to "Boris the Spider" or "Long Distance Run Around" for some of the most awesome bass work. Times like this, I miss CastleIsland being here.

Surf:
Dick Dale!!!!

Quoting Jalap (Reply 26):
Other band that surely is influential is Sonic Youth. Been going strong for some 30 years now,
Not familiar with them. Will check them out based on your recommendation.

Quoting Jalap (Reply 26):
Dance/electronical hasn't really been mentionned here yet but maybe a pioneer like Pierre Henry deserves to be mentionned.
Good Call! I consider Walter / Wendy Carlos and Kraftwerk as the fathers / mothers of Electronica.

SRV
SRV, Duane Allman and Jimi Hendrix all contributed so much in such a short time. There are 2 DVDs available of SRV appearing on "Austin City Limits". It'll make you cry.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 35):
Paul Simon
Absolutely. He appeared on Saturday Night Live in 1977 as the host with George Harrison the musical guest. They did a three song set together that was historic. The first time SNL dedicated an entire segment to the musical artist. Well worth purchasing the SNL DVDs'.

steeler83

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:49 pm

would say that The Beatles, more than any artist or group, have influenced the popular music we all enjoy today. Also, The Rolling Stones are important because they introduced white middle class kids to rhythm & blues music originally performed by black artist in the early to mid '60's during the latter days of segregation.
The Yardbirds also popularized blues music and launched the careers of guitar heroes Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton.

Any others that you feel have shaped the music we enjoy today?

I'd have to agree with all of those, plus Zeppelin, the Doors, YES, to name a few others, which have already been mentioned.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

luckyone

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:02 am

Bands that like to pontificate about their political views and cry about the world's problems....(cough, cough..U2 ...cough)...

And by cry I shall take you LITERALLY. Bono sounds like a dying pig. I find myself agreeing with you more and more forum wide. What's happening here??

Donna Summer

Correction. She WAS disco.

Quoting N6238P (Reply 37):
Cadillac Records, the story about Chess records gave us a lot of history of what started the rock movement. But thats not fun to talk about even though without it, we wouldn't have what we have today. How far music has evolved is amazing but we gotta give props to who started everything.

Beat me to it!

I'm going to add my own list.

Tina Turner -- proved that old chicks can be ballsy too
Bessie Smith -- would not have rock without the blues of the 1920's and 30's
Fleetwood Mac -- proved a completely public dysfunctional family can still make some great music and win people's hearts
The Carpenters -- ok, before you knock me...bear in mind that theirs are some of the best produced recordings and harmonies, EVER -- they brought production to a new standard.
Cher -- proved that women could be just as foul-mouthed and in-your-face as a man and still sell records. We wouldn't have Lady Gaga without Cher (which makes me rethink my entire position...).

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:17 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 41):
I find myself agreeing with you more and more forum wide. What's happening here??
Kind of like when you realize that you're becoming more like your parents.
Admission is the first step to recovery. There's still hope for you!   
Quoting N6238P (Reply 37):
Cadillac Records, the story about Chess records gave us a lot of history of what started the rock movement. But thats not fun to talk about even though without it, we wouldn't have what we have today. How far music has evolved is amazing but we gotta give props to who started everything.

Beat me to it!

Me too!
Chess Records = Memphis.

mirrodie

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:31 am

Loving this thread, Kevin, as it shows that there is soo much to learn.

Mudboy, I am liking how you think. What you are starting to lay is a series of names long each path. Like you, I listne to a lot, great list below:

Hard Rock-
Hendrix
Zeppelin
Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Proggressive Rock-
Yes
Rush
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
The Who

Pop-
Beatles
Prince
MJ
Madonna
Lady Gaga

Alternative-
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
R.E.M
Violent Femmes

Grunge/Rap-
Korn
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park

I'll add Public Image Limited

and

the Dave Matthews Band.

Surprised I didnt see the Grateful Dead written.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:56 am

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 43):
I'll add Public Image Limited

I love that band! Didn't members of the The English Beat and Public Image create another band? I forget the name.

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 43):
Surprised I didnt see the Grateful Dead written.

Hey yeah, and what about Dylan?

mirrodie

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:30 am

I was gonna say Dylan, too. Surprised no one mentioned him.

PIL was awesome! Wifey never heard of them.

DMB often pays homage to the greats of the past and I respect them for that.

Time of the Season the zombies

All Along the Watchtower dylan/hendrix

John Lennon's Imagine

But I really think their combination of talent and sounds is unique IMHO.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:43 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 39):
We could start another thread just about Bassist.

John Deacon, awesome bassist, whilst Mercury and May were the public face of Queen it was Decons bass that held them together.

We wouldn't have Lady Gaga without Cher (which makes me rethink my entire position...).

I always though Lady Gaga was taking up where Madonna left off.

Other influential acts which have been missed, probably because of who they are would be

The BeeGees
ABBA
Neil Diamond
Phil Collins
Stock, Aitken and Waterman

Superfly

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:52 pm

After "The Long and Winding Road" IMHO the worst song ever penned and released under the Beatles label. Just boring.

Ah come on.
Tennessee Ernie Ford is fun to listen to!
I think I get a kick out of playing it for my friends that are die-hard Beatles fans.
They're usually caught off guard.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 38):
Clapton also does a pretty good job (as he should).

Eric Crapton has to be the most over-rated guitarist ever. He is ok but far from a 'God' as many 'experts' give him credit for.

And by cry I shall take you LITERALLY. Bono sounds like a dying pig. I find myself agreeing with you more and more forum wide. What's happening here??

Bono's voice is like nails across a chalkboard.
Bono and Michael Stipes (REM) are probably the only men that have PMS because they sure sound like it.

The Carpenters -- ok, before you knock me...bear in mind that theirs are some of the best produced recordings and harmonies, EVER -- they brought production to a new standard.

I LOVE the Carpenters!
Karen Carpenter is my favorite female vocalist of all time and her brother Kevin is an amazing piano player and song arranger.

Not sure what's going on here but yes we are agreeing a lot on the forums.
Bring back the Concorde

Kent350787

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 44):
The English Beat and Public Image create another band? I forget the name.

Fine Young Cannibals - I assume by The English Beat you mean The Beat  
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 46):
John Deacon, awesome bassist, whilst Mercury and May were the public face of Queen it was Decons bass that held them together.

I agree we could start a thread about bassists - but don't know that deacon would be on mine. Roger Taylor's vocal harmonies are Queen to me. Chris Squire would be on mine, along with Mark King, Bootsy Collins, Jaco Pastorius etc....

And, if we're talking influential, which influence is most important for the list - those who've influenced the record buying public, or those who've influence other musicians?

YVRLTN

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 am

I always though Lady Gaga was taking up where Madonna left off.

I just cant see how she can be mentioned in the same company as all the legends above... remains to be seen if she will see be 'influential' in 20 years.

ABBA

They were huge and their music is still popular today and influenced all sorts of other pop groups. Agnetha is one of the top 5 female vocalists of all time in my opinion, and they also had great harmonies.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 47):
Karen Carpenter is my favorite female vocalist of all time and her brother Kevin is an amazing piano player and song arranger.

Karen is possibly the greatest female vocalist of all time.

While we're in this era, The Seekers and Judith Durham are worth a mention.

No question IMO. They were all geniuses in their own right and what they achieved in just a few years is incredible.

Even John Lennon said there would have been no Beatles had there not been a Chuck Berry. They worshiped at that altar long before they were huge themselves. Chuck Berry is the trunk of the tree, as it were.

Chuck is the grandfather of rock and roll. Listen to early Beatles gigs of them playing Rock n Roll Music and Roll Over Beethoven - theres a great clip on youtube of George singing and playing lead guitar at just 21. As an aside, for those who miss John Lennon, something else I discovered the other day, Julian Lennon singing with Chuck himself.

Bands that like to pontificate about their political views and cry about the world's problems....(cough, cough..U2 ...cough)...

They dont want to portray themselves as blowing all their money on sex, drugs and booze with the likes of Ron Wood and buddys (his book is a great read BTW). They will do it anyway, but want to uphold themselves as social do gooders and contributers to society with their gains. All about PR.

The Rolling Stones are important because they introduced white middle class kids to rhythm & blues music originally performed by black artist in the early to mid '60's during the latter days of segregation.

In the 60's, the Stones were hugely influential but had a lot of competition. The Beatles of course were #1, but there were others too like The Who already mentioned and The Animals all trying to do the same thing. The early Beatles songs were very much 'politically correct' and Epstein made them do their suits & tie thing and little bows at the end of the show (against Lennon's wishes...) but again it was all a PR thing for a pretty staid and stuffy post-war Britain. The Stones really set out to have more of a bad boy image and by the time the 'swinging 60's' were well under way, and with Epstein out of the way, of course The Beatles got bolder too with songs about LSD and so on, but the Stones really paved the way for these kind of lyrics. Not to forget of course that Keith Richards is hugely talented himself.

And no one has mention John Fogerty and CCR.

And I will get flamed for this, but Shania Twain brought country back to the masses.......... plus she can really sing (and still looks spectacular to boot.....  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR