Kent350787

RE: The Most Influential Rock Groups/Artists

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:52 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 49):
And I will get flamed for this, but Shania Twain brought country back to the masses.......... plus she can really sing

But were her hits outside North America actually country? Discuss   (FWIW, I prefer her songs as country rather than the po/rock versions).

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:04 am

Karen is possibly the greatest female vocalist of all time.

Next to Carole King!

Julian Lennon singing with Chuck himself.

Someone told me about that as being awesome. Do you know if it's on DVD?
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

luckyone

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:57 am

Quoting kent350787 (Reply 50):
But were her hits outside North America actually country? Discuss   (FWIW, I prefer her songs as country rather than the po/rock versions).

No, but arguably without her country-founded crossover success Stateside she would not have been launched as a more pop-oriented singer outside the States. As for her work, I'm hit or miss on which versions I prefer on her last album "Up!". I preferred the country version of "Come on Over." "The Woman in Me" is actually a very country album, it was her image and presentation at the time that was so radical for country music. She made country sexy and fun in the mid 90's. I remember as a third and fourth grader when that album came out, tons of my friends would say things such as "eww country music is so whiney and cry baby. Oh Shania Twain!! I love her." In reality her stuff wasn't much different at the time from anybody else on the radio. The next album obviously changed that. Ok wow, I just prattled on about Shania Twain for an entire paragraph! Time to move on!

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 51):
Next to Carole King!

I love a good bit of her music...but her voice...notsomuch. It's rather screechy and one dimensional.

I just cant see how she can be mentioned in the same company as all the legends above... remains to be seen if she will see be 'influential' in 20 years.

Well annoying and superficial as I find her persona to be, the Lady is indeed rather talented. If she continues making good solid songs she may well be. I agree with you however, she's not in that category YET. But people like Madonna and Cher have their fingerprints all over Lady Gaga's image and persona. Personally, I think she needs to lose what is an obvious cocaine habit before she can hope for any longevity.

aaflt1871

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 am

And I will get flamed for this, but Shania Twain brought country back to the masses.......... plus she can really sing (and still looks spectacular to boot

Bringing Country back to the masses would be Garth Brooks, not Shania Twat. I can not tell you how many of her concerts were straight up Lip Sync's. Reba is still Boss.
Where did everybody go?

YVRLTN

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:20 am

Im not sure, but heres the youtube link - fairly good quality - enjoy  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YcPtitpLkk

Interesting intro from John himself, then listen to what Chuck has to say about John - if the grandfather of rock n roll says so, its enough for me  Note Keith Richards too...

Quoting luckyone (Reply 52):
Well annoying and superficial as I find her persona to be, the Lady is indeed rather talented

To me, John Lennon as an example is the definition of talented. I dont know enough about her to be honest (through choice), but I doubt she can write songs and play instruments like Lennon could. John did some bizarre stuff off stage, but he didnt need some annoying and superficial persona on stage to sell his music. Many of the names listed above fall into this category. Girls go all tearful over rockstars and think theyre cute etc, but its not because theyre good looking per se, its because they can play music. Meatloaf is a case in point. Sure, you can argue shes influential on the pop scene today, but then again, thats what 'music' has come to, when the best concerts are the oldies playing their timeless stuff. But we have been here before and sorry for going a bit off topic Kevin...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Mudboy

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:41 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 46):
I always though Lady Gaga was taking up where Madonna left off.

I just cant see how she can be mentioned in the same company as all the legends above... remains to be seen if she will see be 'influential' in 20 years.

From a musician/singer/songwriter standpoint, you can lump Lady Gaga in with Cher and Madonna. She is the the real deal, as far as talent goes.
1. She co-writes all these hits, and none of them sound the same, so she is not stuck with a one dimensional, cookie cutter approach, to songwriting. How many singers these days, write their own songs, most of them go through numerous demos from pro songwriters, that are pitched to them and their label.
2. She sings live, rather than lip syncing. When you go to a concert, do you want to see someone dance or sing? With Lady Gaga you get both. She may force some of these other acts, to try to start singing live more often.

vikkyvik

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:14 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 39):
Whaaaat? And you didn't text me a pic?

Seriously, I almost did!

But, that's the point. It's interesting to get a different perspective or learn something new such as....

No question. I actually always like reading interviews with musicians of whom I'm a fan, because you can oftentimes learn who influenced them.

Times like this, I miss CastleIsland being here.

You and me both.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 30):
After "The Long and Winding Road" IMHO the worst song ever penned and released under the Beatles label. Just boring.

I think that the version without all the stupid, cheesy orchestral overdubs is far better. Released on one of the Anthologies, I believe.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Superfly

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:19 am

Next to Carole King!

She is even more amazing in quadraphonic sound.  

Next time we hang out, I'll play the quad 8track of Tapestry for you.

They dont want to portray themselves as blowing all their money on sex, drugs and booze with the likes of Ron Wood and buddys (his book is a great read BTW). They will do it anyway, but want to uphold themselves as social do gooders and contributers to society with their gains. All about PR.

That is why I never accepted U2, even when I agree with their politics at times. They seem so phony.
Bring back the Concorde

Aaron747

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 57):
That is why I never accepted U2, even when I agree with their politics at times. They seem so phony

Except that they're not. Only one member of the band has had serious substance abuse problems, and only the guitarist has remarried with the rest of the band still with their high school squeezes. Yes, they drink, and yes, they blow money on nice hotels, a recording studio/house in Southern France, and the like. But they put their money where their mouth is. Nobody asked Bono and his wife to start a charity for the children of Chernobyl, just as there was no reason for the Edge to start a charity to replace all the instruments lost to musician victims of Katrina. But they did - because they're just good people like that. Not very rock n' roll, no, but impressive nonetheless. At least to me, anyway. And phony? Please - they've lived the stuff they're angry about in their political anthems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVUBlBjVv4
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

connies4ever

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:21 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 35):
The Kinks
Santana
Paul Simon

My bad to forget these three. "Lola" is still a very powerful song & album.

Quoting N6238P (Reply 37):
I agree with this and honestly music didn't start in the 50's. Robert Johnson should be the artist along with many Delta blues players from the 1920's gave us the start to everything that we know of today.

Indeed the Delta blues sound still resonates in much of what we hear.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Superfly

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 58):
Except that they're not. Only one member of the band has had serious substance abuse problems, and only the guitarist has remarried with the rest of the band still with their high school squeezes. Yes, they drink, and yes, they blow money on nice hotels, a recording studio/house in Southern France, and the like. But they put their money where their mouth is. Nobody asked Bono and his wife to start a charity for the children of Chernobyl, just as there was no reason for the Edge to start a charity to replace all the instruments lost to musician victims of Katrina. But they did - because they're just good people like that. Not very rock n' roll, no, but impressive nonetheless. At least to me, anyway. And phony? Please - they've lived the stuff they're angry about in their political anthems.

Never said I'd agree with them. I still don't like their music.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm

And I will get flamed for this, but Shania Twain brought country back to the masses.......... plus she can really sing (and still looks spectacular to boot.....

It's an insult to talk about Twain without posting a photo, I don't really like her music but I sure like her looks  http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/images/bigimages/shania_twain_honors_3_big.jpg

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 56):
I think that the version without all the stupid, cheesy orchestral overdubs is far better. Released on one of the Anthologies, I believe.

It's on the "Let it Be....Naked" album released in 2003, this is how Macca wanted the album to sound before Phil Spector screwed it up. Let it Be Naked is simply a fantastic album, so much better than what was originally released.

Aaron747

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 60):
I still don't like their music.

And that's fine, but that's totally different then calling some very genuine people "phony".
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

slider

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Good call. That tree may well have grown in Memphis Tennessee. Blues musicians from Chicago,and Gospel musicians from New Orleans were brought together in Memphis by guys like Chuck Berry, Rufus Thomas, BB King and Elvis.

No question....just think of what happened at Sun Records alone. Arguably some of the most influential music in the WORLD came out of there...Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Ike Turner, and blues greats like BB King and Muddy Waters early in their careers.

SRV, Duane Allman and Jimi Hendrix all contributed so much in such a short time. There are 2 DVDs available of SRV appearing on "Austin City Limits". It'll make you cry.

Oh, I've had those for a long time. Have some bootleg videos too that are just incredible.

Chuck is the grandfather of rock and roll. Listen to early Beatles gigs of them playing Rock n Roll Music and Roll Over Beethoven - theres a great clip on youtube of George singing and playing lead guitar at just 21. As an aside, for those who miss John Lennon, something else I discovered the other day, Julian Lennon singing with Chuck himself.

Amen!

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 57):
Next time we hang out, I'll play the quad 8track of Tapestry for you.

It won't be too soon. I just got Carole King live from a 1972 BBC concert on DVD.

Quoting Slider (Reply 64):
Oh, I've had those for a long time. Have some bootleg videos too that are just incredible.

You can hang out with us too! Bring those SRV vids, we'll provide the beer.   

ER757

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Quoting KINDFlyer (Reply 19):
Was fortunate to see The Who at a local outdoor venue in July of 1997. Despite being well past their prime, the energy and stage presence were incredible.

Greatest live show I ever saw was The Who doing Tommy and Who's Next material in 1975 (last time I saw them before Moonie died). There's never been a bigger Who fan on the planet than me, but I just can't get worked up about seeing Daltrey and Townshend and that being called the Who. They were able to get away wit other drummers to some extent, but once Entwhistle died, that was it. None once on Earth can play the bass like him, not even close.

I'd agree with the original poster about the Beatles and the way the Stones turned white kids on to the blues and R&B.
If you go back further than the British Invasion period, you'd have to count Ray Charles in among the most influential along with the old blues artists the Brits emulated

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 66):
but I just can't get worked up about seeing Daltrey and Townshend and that being called the Who. They were able to get away wit other drummers to some extent, but once Entwhistle died, that was it.

It's a lot like May and Taylor calling themselves Queen with Freddie dead and Deacon retired Queen sadly are no more.

Type-Rated

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Most Influential:

Beatles
Animals
Bee Gees
Yes
Pet Shop Boys
Donna Summer
Bob Dylan
Elton John

And not especially in that order.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

ER757

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 68):
Pet Shop Boys

Seriously? How so? Not trying to be a wise guy, just never thought of them as innovative or influential in any way

Superfly

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:59 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 63):
And that's fine, but that's totally different then calling some very genuine people "phony".

Ok, he's annoying.
Is that better?  
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 67):
It's a lot like May and Taylor calling themselves Queen with Freddie dead and Deacon retired Queen sadly are no more.

I never forget seeing an interview with Paul Rodgers and he had the nerve to say that him joining Queen helped raise their profile.
WTF?!?!?!  Wow!
He even said it with a straight face.
Bring back the Concorde

KGRB

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 am

I can't believe The Runaways haven't been mentioned -- the first successful all-girl rock band. The members were all teenagers while they were together, which makes what they accomplished all the more remarkable. And Joan Jett and Lita Ford both went on to very successful solo careers after the band split up.

Two more bands that deserve a lot of credit are The Doobie Brothers and Grand Funk Railroad.

BTW: This is my 100th post!! It only took me a month. 
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/OO CRJ-900 ATL-GRB April 2019

Superfly

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 am

Quoting KGRB (Reply 71):
I can't believe The Runaways haven't been mentioned -- the first successful all-girl rock band.

Good call and they ROCKED! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Quoting KGRB (Reply 71):
Two more bands that deserve a lot of credit are The Doobie Brothers

I love the Doobie Brothers and they were very successful with both styles in the early and last 1970s.
Their early 70s material was folk based and their late 70s material was jazz based. I love both eras and I have all of their albums.

Another bandworth mentioniong is Chicago.
Rock band with a horn section.
Bring back the Concorde

4holer

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:08 am

Kate Bush sure has a lot of imitators...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

fridgmus

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:27 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 54):

Im not sure, but heres the youtube link - fairly good quality - enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YcPtitpLkk

Interesting intro from John himself, then listen to what Chuck has to say about John - if the grandfather of rock n roll says so, its enough for me Note Keith Richards too...

Can't believe I left my favorite Rock & Roller out of my post! Chuck Berry! 84 years young and still doing it live! Yeah, he may have lost a step or two, but he still has "IT"!

Why you may ask? Because, I've said it before and I'll say it again.................ROCK & ROLL WILL NEVER DIE!

Go to the YouTube page and look up Chuck Berry, lots of great videos, plus check out www.chuckberry.com
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

n6238p

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:14 am

Surprised I haven't seen Hank Williams or Gram Parsons mentioned.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Superfly

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 6):
Lady Gaga
Shania Twain

Lady Gaga?
Shania Twain?

Come on folks. This is a thread about rock music.

I will get flamed for this, but Shania Twain brought country back to the masses..........

..and you should get flamed.  
She is barely country. She can't hold a candle to Patsy Cline or Dolly Parton.

Quoting N6238P (Reply 75):
Surprised I haven't seen Hank Williams

He is country.
Not rock.
Speaking of Hank Williams, check out what his son did 2 years ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MKG2hFWao
Bring back the Concorde

airbuske

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 pm

76 posts in this thread and not a single mention of Mr. Bob Dylan. Shame on you people!!

KGRB

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 72):
Quoting KGRB (Reply 71):
I can't believe The Runaways haven't been mentioned -- the first successful all-girl rock band.

Good call and they ROCKED! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

For anyone that hasn't seen The Runaways movie, I'd highly recommend it! The Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning performances are actually quite good.

Quoting airbuske (Reply 77):
76 posts in this thread and not a single mention of Mr. Bob Dylan. Shame on you people!!

Shame on who???  
Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 44):
Hey yeah, and what about Dylan?
Quoting mirrodie (Reply 45):
I was gonna say Dylan, too. Surprised no one mentioned him.

luckyone

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 76):
Come on folks. This is a thread about rock music.

Youtube Lady Gaga's live-only song "You and I." Hardly pop at all!

tarheelwings

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:51 pm

What about Credence Clearwater Revival......John Fogerty is also pretty underrated as a guitar player.

airbuske

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 pm

Quoting KGRB (Reply 78):
Shame on who???

Ooops. Guess I should have Ctrl+f "Dylan" instead of "Bob Dylan"   

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 76):
He is country.
Are you sure he's not Western ?   

Remember the 1st Blues Brothers movie @ Country Bob's Bunker when Jake asks what kind of music do they usually have:
" Oh, we have both kinds. Country and Western."

[Edited 2010-10-26 14:14:21]

KGRB

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:37 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 79):

I actually agree with putting Gaga on this list. "Speechless" is definitely more rock than pop, too.

Like her or not (and I do like her), you can't argue that she's been hugely influential!

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 am

711 posts

711 posts? Talk about a "luckyone"!   

Superfly

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 82):
Are you sure he's not Western ?

Remember the 1st Blues Brothers movie @ Country Bob's Bunker when Jake asks what kind of music do they usually have:
" Oh, we have both kinds. Country and Western."

How can I forget?
One of the funniest lines in the movie.

Ok, ok, throw her on the list.

Quoting airbuske (Reply 77):

Bob Dylan is one of the best rock vocalist out there.
Bring back the Concorde

luckyone

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:55 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 84):

Hahaha!

Quoting Superfly (Reply 85):

Actually I agree with you that she shouldn't be on the list. She hasn't been around long enough. I was just pointing out that she has the potential to branch out if she so choses (and the public lets her). That's all  

Superfly

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 86):
Actually I agree with you that she shouldn't be on the list. She hasn't been around long enough. I was just pointing out that she has the potential to branch out if she so choses (and the public lets her). That's all

Ok take her off the list.  
Bring back the Concorde

Mudboy

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 am

Quoting KGRB (Reply 83):
Like her or not (and I do like her), you can't argue that she's been hugely influential!

And she is one hell of a talet too!!

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:11 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 84):

Hahaha!

Dooh! You posted # 712! No more luckyone for you!   

Quoting Superfly (Reply 72):
Rock band with a horn section.

Freaking listen to The Beatles "Got to get you in to my life" on the Revolver album. You say horns, eh?
I saw Chicago live and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Yeah, horns are the best. Makes me sad that one of the Brecker Brothers passed away recently.

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 74):
Can't believe I left my favorite Rock & Roller out of my post! Chuck Berry!

No worries. We got your back. These things happen at our age.   

Quoting KGRB (Reply 78):

For anyone that hasn't seen The Runaways movie, I'd highly recommend it! The Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning performances are actually quite good.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was wondering if it was worth seeing.

Quoting tarheelwings (Reply 80):
What about Credence Clearwater Revival..
Signed,
Jeff Lebowski

Quoting KGRB (Reply 83):
I actually agree with putting Gaga on this list.
Quoting Superfly
Quoting Superfly (Reply 87):
Ok take her off the list
Quoting Mudboy (Reply88):
And she is one hell of a talent too!!

So what is it? Gaga or not?

[Edited 2010-10-26 23:35:14]

Superfly

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:43 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 89):
The Beatles "Got to get you in to my life" on the Revolver album.

Good stuff but I really like the Earth Wind & Fire version.
The Beatles didn't give credit to those horn players on the Revolver album.

I saw Chicago live and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

What year?

Makes me sad that one of the Brecker Brothers passed away recently.

That was fun listening to the quad 8track of the Back To Back album.

So what is it? Gaga or not?

No.
All we hear is radio goo goo, radio gaga.
Bring back the Concorde

KevinL1011
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 90):
What year?

Ninteen ninety......uh.....six, I think.

That was fun listening to the quad 8track of the Back To Back album.

Dude, good times!   

No.
All we hear is radio goo goo, radio gaga.

My question is, what has Lady Gaga done that is influential?
Unless you consider a boner influential.   

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:56 am

I don't know if I'd call Dylan a rock musician, his most well known music is moslty folk.

The Beatles didn't give credit to those horn players on the Revolver album.

A lot of session musicians don't get credit.

Superfly

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 91):

Ouch.  
That would be for the Chicago 18 tour.  
I like that stuff but it's not the classic era of Chicago.
Peter Cetera had already left the band and they hired Elvis Presley's bassist son (Jason Scheff) to replace Peter Cetera.
He went to school to sound like Peter Cetera.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 92):
I don't know if I'd call Dylan a rock musician, his most well known music is moslty folk.

Yes but he still rocks.
In the 1980s he got a bit rocked out and did work with Tom Petty and David Stewart of The Eurythmics.

A lot of session musicians don't get credit.

Yes & no.
Back then that was the case.
If it's an orchestra, the name of the orchestra and conductor will get credit.
Individual session musicians do get credit. The horn section on The Beatles 'Got To get You In To My Life' is only about 3-5 horn players. They should have got credit.
I think it's been a RIAA requirement for every album released since the early 1970s.
Bring back the Concorde

Revelation

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:48 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 6):
Proggressive Rock-
Yes
Rush
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
The Who

I'm a prog-head and will add that current prog bands (yes there are some!) are also influenced a lot by:

Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
King Crimson

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 15):
(early) Genesis

Indeed.

Saturday night I'm going to Boston to see "The Watch" from Italy play the whole Foxtrot album live.

http://newears.org/

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 44):
Quoting mirrodie (Reply 43):
Surprised I didnt see the Grateful Dead written.

Hey yeah, and what about Dylan?

Grateful Dead clearly influenced a lot of the later jam bands like Phish and Gov't Mule.

No one has mentioned Neil Young yet, who has influenced many of the punk and grunge artists.

Yes, he has a screechy voice and liberal politics, but it works for me.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 47):
Eric Crapton has to be the most over-rated guitarist ever. He is ok but far from a 'God' as many 'experts' give him credit for.

I don't think he's overrated as much as over-exposed.

It's hard to find that ultimate mix of technique AND taste, like EC and David Gilmour have.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 58):

A lot of fans who didn't listen to the early stuff don't know about their Christian influences, those that show up in songs such as Gloria and I Will Follow.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 61):
It's an insult to talk about Twain without posting a photo, I don't really like her music but I sure like her looks

Wow!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Superfly

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 93):

Ouch.
That would be for the Chicago 18 tour.
I like that stuff but it's not the classic era of Chicago.
Peter Cetera had already left the band and they hired Elvis Presley's bassist son (Jason Scheff) to replace Peter Cetera.
He went to school to sound like Peter Cetera.

Ooops, sorry Kevin.
I misread your post that is what I get for multi-tasking
I was thinking 1986.
If you saw them in the 1960s, that is frikkin' awesome!
That means you were THERE!!!!   

Quoting Revelation (Reply 94):
Saturday night I'm going to Boston to see "The Watch" from Italy play the whole Foxtrot album live.

That's cool.
I am really getting in to the cover band thing. Often times, they play with more energy than the original artist and will play the songs that the original artist refuse to play.

Yes, he has a screechy voice and liberal politics, but it works for me.

That's fine. Neil Young's voice isn't annoying to me like Bono's.
I never had a problem with what Bono says, it's just his voice that irritates me.

It's hard to find that ultimate mix of technique AND taste, like EC and David Gilmour have.

Some of David Gilmour's material is pure genius.
I can listen to the Animals album over and over again and never get sick of it. I love that album.
As far as the ultimate mix of technique AND taste, I have to give my vote to Alex Lifeson of Rush.
Clapton? Too safe and canned but I do like his pop material.
Layla, Lay Down Sally, Forever Man and If I Could Change The World are great songs.
Those are the only 4 songs I like by him. He is capable of putting out 1 great song per decade.  
A lot of fans who didn't listen to the early stuff don't know about their Christian influences, those that show up in songs such as Gloria and I Will Follow.

I really like the music arrangements of 'I Will Swallow' but again it's that voice of Bono that kills it for me.
I'd love to hear U2 team up with Sting, Dennis DeYoung (Styx) or Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears) and do their songs without Bono.
That would be so incredible!  
Bring back the Concorde

PSA53

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Quoting tarheelwings (Reply 80):
What about Credence Clearwater Revival......John Fogerty is also pretty underrated as a guitar player.

A tremendous vocal and guitar talent.

My question is, what has Lady Gaga done that is influential?

Make children believe that over paid burlesque stars are legit mainstream.Sex sells.

I don't know if I'd call Dylan a rock musician, his most well known music is mostly folk.

Yes,at first he was regarded as folk.But he transformed,with tremendous uproar from folk fans,to integrate folk with rock.The Byrds are another group to do this.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

ER757

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Songwriter, yes - vocalist, no way. He's a HORRIBLE singer. 99% of his songs were better when others performed them.
Example: Peter Paul and Mary doing "Blowin' in the Wind" and others - Can you honestly say you'd rather hear Dylan doing "All Along the Watchtower" than Hendrix?

ozglobal

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 pm

Most influential (not necessarily most popular):

Late 70's:

- Kraftwerk
- Fleetwood Mac
- Boz Scaggs
- Giorgio Moroder
- Jean Michel Jarre
- Sex Pistols
- Siouxsie and the Banshees
- Joy Division
- Supergroups: Lead Zeplin, Pink Floyd, Supertramp
- Earth Wind and Fire
- Roxy Music
- Bowie

Early 80's
- New Order
- Simple Minds
- David Sylvian
- Ryuchi Sakamoto
- Talk Talk
- The Smiths
- Echo and the Bunnymen
- Tears for Fears
- Midnight Oil
- The Cure
- Talking Heads
- The Jam
- The Style Council
- Cocteau Twins
- This Mortal Coil
- Bryan Ferry

Late 80's
- Propaganda
- New Order
- Clannad
- Queen

2000's
- Massive Attack
- Saint Etienne
- Morsheba
- Lisa Gerrard
- Ramstien
- DJ's: D Guetta, Stephane Poupagnac, Bob Sinclair, Avalanches
- Rufus Wainright
- Portishead / Beth Gibbins
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

cpd

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 47):
Bono's voice is like nails across a chalkboard.
Bono and Michael Stipes (REM) are probably the only men that have PMS because they sure sound like it.

To be fair, many performers outside of some of the opera tenors (thinking Luciano Pavarotti) sound like that.

Exceptions of course for Freddie Mercury, and probably Chad Kroeger.