Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fly2HMO

RE: Automatic Or Manual Shift?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:32 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 97):
RWD and a twin turbo pushrod V10 eat such delicacies as the Veyron for breakfast when you press the gas pedal from the light.

Too bad a riced out Viper will be spitting those pushrods out the exhaust after 1000 miles. Not very practical now is it?

LOT767-300ER

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:36 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 99):

It's surely not from this person, is it?

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...ool-gets-punked-his-own-board.html

it's almost like that's some troll playing a very bad joke. It's hard to believe someone could be like that.

No, but If you want to take that to the next level and discuss we can talk about who is stupid enough to buy a strengthened transmission and engine for the price of a mansion in the form of a Venom GT. Fact is fact though, no matter the reputation...and for that matter AC Schnitzer had one also a long time ago and now puts out Fast and Furious BS.

vikkyvik

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:27 am

A bit late to this thread, but anyway...

Quoting falstaff (Thread starter):
Do you drive a car/truck with a manual or automatic transmission?

Mazda 3 S with 6-speed manual.

anual shift cars can be difficult to find, as many cars are not made available with manual transmissions and if they are many dealers do not stock very many of them.

Yep. When I bought the car, it was basically the only sport-version 6-speed manual in the greater LA area.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 57):

Hilly terrain with traffic lights and arseholes who creep up on your bumper can be quite stressful.

It was stressful until I got comfortable enough with 1.) starting out very quickly from a stop to minimize rolling backward, and 2.) learning to use the parking brake to prevent rolling backward. It's pretty easy (and very useful) to be able to hold the parking brake until the clutch engages. About a mile from my apartment, there's a nice 15% grade hill with a 4-way stop literally right at the top. That often requires multiple parking-brake-assisted starts, depending on the backup from the stop sign.

MD-90

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 102):
Yep. When I bought the car, it was basically the only sport-version 6-speed manual in the greater LA area.

I had to have my 3 delivered from Atlanta to Huntsville because they couldn't find one closer. And allegedly the dealer couldn't find one at all in red and since I was worried that Mazda might not renew their incentives for the next month that's why I settled for a silver one. Although it is a nice color as well.

falstaff
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 80):

Toyota Tercel wagon, manual with a 2nd stick for 4WD

I bet that thing was slow... I had a buddy with a 1986 Honda Civic Wagon 4x4, that thing was worthless!

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 88):
After seeing my parents sink $3000 into their Grand Caravan to replace the transmission when it failed the first time at 130K miles, I would be highly reluctant to stress a transmission like that. That's what your brakes are for.

Those minivans are always going through transmissions. It isn't just Chrysler, although they are the worst and have been for years as far as transmissions go. People overwork their minivans, which is easy to do because they have a lot of space in them. Actually it is far better to brake with the engine on steep hills than to use the brakes continuously. The brake fluid can boil and you lose your brakes. Also your brakes can get hot and crack the pads or shoes, I have also seen the bonding agents melt from heat on pads and shoes and the friction material comes off the backing plate.

TSS

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 104):
Quoting MD-90 (Reply 88):
After seeing my parents sink $3000 into their Grand Caravan to replace the transmission when it failed the first time at 130K miles, I would be highly reluctant to stress a transmission like that. That's what your brakes are for.

Those minivans are always going through transmissions. It isn't just Chrysler, although they are the worst and have been for years as far as transmissions go. People overwork their minivans, which is easy to do because they have a lot of space in them.

What he said!
There was a period when every time I jacked up a Chrysler minivan with over 80,000 miles on it I could pretty well count on seeing a shiny new transmission underneath.
I asked a friend who rebuilds transmissions for a living what the problem was with the Chrysler automatics, and his reply reflected my impression of all things Chrysler from the 80s and 90s: The design itself was good but the execution sucked- too many internal parts were made of insufficiently tough/wear-resistant (read "cheaper" ) materials for the job they were designed to do.

PHLBOS

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 16):
I don't know the last US car with a "three on the tree".

Chevy offered a 3-on-the tree in its full-size B-Body BelAir as late as 1973.

One was recently posted on eBay (under completed items) from Cherry Hill, NJ:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45f623eef6

I know that Ford still offered a 3-on-the-tree for its 1969 Custom and Custom 500 full-sizes (I have a brouchere and owners' manual). I'm guessing that they probably offered it as base equipment for the 240cid 6-cylinder equipped-Custom/Custom 500s up through 1972. The 4-on-the-floor manuals were offered on the Galaxie 500 and XL coupes and convertibles through 1970. One 1971 LTD ragtop on eBay several years ago had a 4-speed manual, a very rare bird indeed.

Among full-size Dodges and Plymouths, the final year for 3-on-the trees (on its base models) may have been (guess on my part) 1973 as well; the final year of the fuselage-styled models.

Do you drive a car/truck with a manual or automatic transmission?

All my past and present vehicles have all been automatics; of which only 2 of them (my '69 Ford I owned back in the 80s and my '07 Mustang) even offered manuals of sorts.

While I have driven manuals in the past, I never drove one w/the column-mounted 3-on-the-tree.

Back in the mid-80s, a friend of mine test-drove a '67 Pontiac Tempest that was for sale that had a 3-on-the-tree; the biggest issue he had w/it was the linkage (he's more familiar w/floor-mounted manuals). Needless to say, he wound up NOT buying the vehicle.

The biggest issue w/manuals is when one is stopped on a hill (due to either a STOP sign or traffic signal). One needs to have quick reflexes with the pedals and clutch when proceeding following said-stop; otherwise, one may find themself rolling backwards and possibly into a vehicle behind them.

In the old days, I remember seeing may small cars (VW Bugs for example) that had the words Automatic listed on the back (meaning that it was equipped w/an automatic transmission). Today, given the higher percentage of automatics on the road, I, personally think that all manual-transmissioned vehicles (ones that can be equipped either way) should have the word manual listed on the back somewhere so that when one approaches one from behind; they'll be more likely to give it some room in case of a 'roll-back'. Around my neck of the woods, there are many drivers that don't leave too much room between vehicles on stops; even on hills.

lewis

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:28 pm

I grew up driving a shift in Europe but have been driving an automatic Jetta since I moved in the US. Although I prefer manual for the control it gives you, driving in the city (mostly in traffic) is made so much easier with an automatic. Resale values for manual cars are also very bad from what I have seen so far.

falstaff
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:52 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 91):
I remember reading about a DAF with CVT sometimes around 1974

I didn't think anyone else remembered those. I think those are extinct, I only saw one once.

I think they could go as fast in reverse as they could forward.

KevinL1011

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 106):

I remember working on a 1990 C-1500 pickup that had a 3 on the tree.

Would you believe that this awesome '67 Bonneville with a 421cid had a manual 4 on the floor?

PHLBOS

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 109):
Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 106):

Kev, the key phrase in Falstaff's question was the last US CAR w/a 3-on-the-tree.  

Nonetheless, I'm a bit surprised that Chevy/GMC still offered a 3-on-the-tree 2 model years after those trucks were totally redesigned (for 1988); especially given the ALL-NEW advertisement pounding they gave Ford (which they referred to as 'old') when those trucks first rolled out.

[Edited 2010-10-25 12:12:51]

WildcatYXU

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:14 pm

[

Quoting falstaff (Reply 108):
I didn't think anyone else remembered those. I

I'm afraid it comes with the age   

Would you believe that this awesome '67 Bonneville with a 421cid had a manual 4 on the floor?

Now that's something I want for Christmas  

Springbok747

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Quoting gsoshutout55 (Reply 84):
Mustang GT

Nice car! I would do anything to drive that here in Oz! We have used GTs selling for close to $200,000 ..wish Ford would sell them here.

KevinL1011

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 110):
Nonetheless, I'm a bit surprised that Chevy/GMC still offered a 3-on-the-tree 2 model years after those trucks were totally redesigned (for 1988); especially given the ALL-NEW advertisement pounding they gave Ford (which they referred to as 'old') when those trucks first rolled out.

Yeah, It was a fleet truck owned by a school district. They had six of them. As you said, it was what we used to call "the new body" because it didn't have vent windows.

MrChips

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 82):

No, here in Germany we have 85% manual cars and a lot of people are talking on their mobiles.

I've driven in Germany in the last couple of years, and I can tell you that while there are a number of people using cellphones in their cars, it's nowhere near as bad as it is here in North America. It seems like nearly every motorist has decided that any other task is more important than the actual act of driving their car. Perhaps if they were driving a car with a manual transmission, I won't see people eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast while driving any more (true story).

Sabena332

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 114):
I've driven in Germany in the last couple of years, and I can tell you that while there are a number of people using cellphones in their cars, it's nowhere near as bad as it is here in North America. It seems like nearly every motorist has decided that any other task is more important than the actual act of driving their car. Perhaps if they were driving a car with a manual transmission, I won't see people eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast while driving any more (true story).

Ok, I believe that the situation is really bad in Canada.

Patrick

ajd1992

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 68):

Hmm...but they are soooo good in traffic! And I'm a young driver!

I'm a young driver too - passed at 17 in March, and I'm only 18 by 3 and a half months. Nothing better than having complete control and being able to pull away and rev hard before changing gear  
Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 89):
Didn't F-1 outlaw automatics?

Yes - They were manual boxes till about '91, then they went to the flappy-paddle gear boxes you see now. Williams did test a car in '93 with a CVT box on it but it was never raced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto

MD-90

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:30 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 104):
Actually it is far better to brake with the engine on steep hills than to use the brakes continuously.

People who ride their brakes are just ignorant. I don't disagree that if it's a long downhill grade (few of those here in AL/MS) it's a good idea to downshift.

On the cell phone issue in manual cars, I must say that I really like my Mazda's bluetooth, I just need to finish putting the phone numbers into the car so that I never have to actually pick up my phone to get a number.

falstaff
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:32 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 110):

But GM kept making the old body style for a few more years in the R, G, V, and P body truck.

KevinL1011

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:23 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 118):
But GM kept making the old body style for a few more years in the R, G, V, and P body truck.

I think the G body is a van.
The 3 on the tree I was telling PHLBOS about was a "new body" (in the late '90's) with a 4.3 V6, manual trans, no AC, no Radio, no nuthin'! It was also a federal emission cert. which I thought was strange but back then, city and gov vehicles were exempt from emission testing. I remember it because two of my employees had never driven one and I had to show them. BTW, I learned to drive in a 52 Plymouth wagon with a 3 on the tree. The shift linkage had cotter pins that were always breaking so I installed finishing nails which held better.

Ken777

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 am

I learned to drive on my Father's TR-3 and enjoyed that manual a lot - to say the least. My first car was a BMW 2002 (1st year BMW was in the US) and loved that manual. We've had a lot of manuals over the years (including when we lived in Australia and I had to shift with the "wrong hand".

Now that I'm in my 60s I'm "sticking" with an automatic simply because my left leg gets bloody sore shifting a lot in stop & go driving. Otherwise I'd be dreaming about a Miata. ANd trying to figure out how I'd get in and out of it.  

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:57 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 97):
Quit arguing about acceleration rates, RWD and a twin turbo pushrod V10 eat such delicacies as the Veyron for breakfast when you press the gas pedal from the light. Hell you are at 200mph before someone in a Veyron knew what was happening.

So you like the Bristol Fighter?

TheCommodore

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:04 am

Quoting pelican (Reply 3):
Because it's more fun?

Fun ?

Try driving around the city , your lucky if you can get it into 2nd gear.

That's not what I call fun, that's a pain in the ass is what it is.

Give me automatic any day

idealstandard

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 am

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 116):
I'm a young driver too - passed at 17 in March, and I'm only 18 by 3 and a half months. Nothing better than having complete control and being able to pull away and rev hard before changing gear

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Who said you can't rev hard in an auto? ha!

aerorobnz

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 94):
but it's debatable how "normal" that car is, with near cut slick tyres

You mean you don't have them on your everyday car?? Tyres like that are great for turning each commute into an excuse for having fun...

LOT767-300ER

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 121):
So you like the Bristol Fighter?

Love them, have 3 of them. One hot pink, other neon yellow and third black on black.

ajd1992

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 123):
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Who said you can't rev hard in an auto? ha!

Manual is just more fun though.  

I will be honest, I hate driving in stop/go traffic as much as the next guy, but when you get on the open road it is much better.

vikkyvik

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Quoting idealstandard (Reply 123):

Can you do it in the same way you do it in a manual? Push the clutch in, rev the engine, let the clutch out, i.e. revving the engine before you transfer power to the wheels?

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 126):

I will be honest, I hate driving in stop/go traffic as much as the next guy, but when you get on the open road it is much better.

I actually don't mind driving a manual in traffic at all. It has the major benefit that when I'm sitting at a standstill on the freeway, I can take my foot off of the brake without the car jumping forward. I have to be careful when I drive automatics because I forget about that.

And after awhile, you learn how to minimize the number of necessary gearshifts while in stop-and-go traffic.

LOT767-300ER

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 127):
I actually don't mind driving a manual in traffic at all. It has the major benefit that when I'm sitting at a standstill on the freeway, I can take my foot off of the brake without the car jumping forward. I have to be careful when I drive automatics because I forget about that.

Love the exaggeration. What kind of an automatic jumps forward? Automatics slowly gain momentum if you let off the brake. You wont hit a car by just releasing the gas unless youve got the reactions of a sloth or you stopped 1cm from the next car.

Can you do it in the same way you do it in a manual? Push the clutch in, rev the engine, let the clutch out, i.e. revving the engine before you transfer power to the wheels?

What the hell for? To put more stress on the transmission maybe.

vikkyvik

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 128):

Love the exaggeration. What kind of an automatic jumps forward? Automatics slowly gain momentum if you let off the brake. You wont hit a car by just releasing the gas unless youve got the reactions of a sloth or you stopped 1cm from the next car.

Dude, relax. I'm not sitting here trying to paint automatics as the devil's machines or anything. MOVES forward. Happy?

Doesn't change the fact that it annoys me.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 128):
What the hell for? To put more stress on the transmission maybe.

I was responding to someone else's comment (which was, in turn, responding to another comment) that you can do the exact same thing in an automatic. I don't particularly care if you do it yourself or not.

larshjort

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Manual for me in my Fiesta. My mom had on of the last of the previous Bora/Jetta Wagon, a us model which came to late for the ferry with a 2.0 and automatic transmission. It was nice to drive around town and also on longer trips but very annoying the first few kilometres as I had to adjust my driving style.

/Lars

StuckInCA

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 pm

I currently own one car with a manual transmission and one with an automatic.

Which is preferable is NOT a simple question. Quality of the transmission, type of car, what type of driving, traffic, and other factors change the answer.

If I'm driving a car that has a chance at being fun to drive and I'm not going to be in heavy stop and go traffic then I prefer manual.

If I'm driving on 405 or I80 in California (which thankfully is now a rare event for me), give me an automatic every time. There's really nothing worse than spending a few hours bouncing between 1st gear and 1st gear with the clutch in. Move forward 30'. Sit. Move forward. Sit. At least in an automatic it's not quite as painful.

MasterBean

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 pm

I driver my mum's Fiesta 1.25 which has a 5 speed manual gearbox. Yanks say that 120bhp in their Fiesta is a small amount of hp but compared to 82, it's rather large. For a 17 year old, being able to dump the clutch and do hand brake turns is what matters, you can't do that in an automatic.

There are 3 types of automatic; the standard smooth torque converter, which ruins fuel consumption and is slow, the DSG, PDK, S-Tronic double clutch which improves acceleration and fuel consumption, and there's the single clutch automated manual as seen in the standard Maserati Quatroporte and Smart cars, these are jerky and just generally rubbish, but are lighter than double clutch systems so are used in racing cars.

JAGflyer

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:36 am

Automatic driver here. I don't understand the draw towards manual that makes people think they are so superior to those who drive automatics. Sure, manual is more user-involved but it's just another distraction in this world full of idiot drivers, ethnic motorists without any knowledge of local customs, and drivers to want to eat a full 5 course meal while driving.

TheCommodore

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:39 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 133):
and drivers to want to eat a full 5 course meal while driving.

Don't forget those blabbering away on the phone.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:24 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 100):
Too bad a riced out Viper will be spitting those pushrods out the exhaust after 1000 miles. Not very practical now is it?

So says a Seat driver.         

MrChips

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 133):
Sure, manual is more user-involved but it's just another distraction

Sorry, but that is incorrect. Yes, a manual transmission is more thought-intensive than an automatic, but any effort you are putting towards shifting gears is thought put solely toward the operation of the vehicle. Saying a manual transmission is a distraction is as silly as saying that turning the steering wheel is a distraction from the task of driving.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 136):
Saying a manual transmission is a distraction is as silly as saying that turning the steering wheel is a distraction from the task of driving.

Essentially the motto of the most annoying car maker when it comes to this argument: Mercedes Benz. "You turn the wheel, we will do everything else even park and slow down when on cruise control, oh yes and please dont change lanes theres a semi truck 2 miles behind you that could be in your lane within the next 2 seconds."

aero145

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 pm

That’s what the 'N' setting on the gear selector is for. I use it all the time. And if the car rolls I use the handbrake. And, depending on the car, when the traffic starts moving I press the brake and select D or select D without pressing the brake. You can get used to that just like you can get used to the stick shift in traffic.

I don’t mind what transmission I have. Seriously. If you give me a good car with a good transmisson, whichever kind, I’ll be happy with it.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:28 am

Quoting aero145 (Reply 138):
That’s what the 'N' setting on the gear selector is for. I use it all the time. And if the car rolls I use the handbrake. And, depending on the car, when the traffic starts moving I press the brake and select D or select D without pressing the brake. You can get used to that just like you can get used to the stick shift in traffic.

True, and fair enough. In my experience with the automatics I've driven, I don't always hit the gear selection I'm looking for; i.e. if I'm shifting from N to D, I might accidentally go past D to 3 or 2.....Not that there's anything wrong with that. But in my experience, it's just a lot quicker to go from neutral to moving in a manual than an automatic. But I'm sure the autos I've driven haven't exactly had the best/quickest automatic transmissions - you move the lever, and half a second later, the transmission shifts.

All in all, to each his/her own.

Fly2HMO

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:48 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 135):

So says a Seat driver.

I'm not ashamed one bit. Never had problems with any VW group cars. Can't say the same of any American/Asian turds on wheels I've ever owned/driven.

falstaff
Topic Author

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm

I was looking at the factory 1989 Chevy C/K truck manual today (the paper manual) and under the steering column section there was a list of parts with numbers for where they appeared in a diagram of the non tilt column. There were some parts that looked like they would be column shift parts, such as the 2nd shift lever, but there were no corresponding numbers on the diagram, but those parts were given numbers. Odd that GM would mention the parts in the manual, but not include them in a diagram. I would imagine there was some some type of supplement for this, or the tech would have to refer to an older manual for service information.

Fleet only information doesn't always show up in manuals.

KevinL1011

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:23 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 141):
I would imagine there was some some type of supplement for this, or the tech would have to refer to an older manual for service information.

These school district trucks were like military or gov. issue vehicles. When I was in trade school, we had ex-military vehicles that were donated for us to work on. I remember '65-'67 Dodge Power Wagons equipped with items such as manual chokes and oil bath air filters long after they were extinct in regular production models.

pelican

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:52 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 122):
Fun ?

Try driving around the city , your lucky if you can get it into 2nd gear.

Living in the second biggest metropolitan area of Germany, I've no problems with my manual in stop and go traffic. Sure it's not fun, but I doubt it is with an automatic.

pelican

RayChuang

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:21 am

Manuals may be fun, but the increasingly poor quality of shifters are killing the fun of using them. It seems only BMW, Honda and Porsche have a clue about building shifters that aren't overly vague or notchy when it comes to finding the right gear when you use them.

Besides, thanks to modern computer controls and automatics with five to eight forward speeds, the disadvantages of automatics versus manuals in terms of fuel economy are almost nil. And the arrival of the dual-clutch transmission with electronic controls that can shift gears far faster than any human can is also starting to kill the popularity of manuals; note that a very large fraction of Porsche Boxsters, Caymans and 911's sold use the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, despite the fairly steep cost of this option.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 144):
And the arrival of the dual-clutch transmission with electronic controls that can shift gears far faster than any human can is also starting to kill the popularity of manuals; note that a very large fraction of Porsche Boxsters, Caymans and 911's sold use the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, despite the fairly steep cost of this option.

The old, cynical me would say: all the doppelkupplung did was opening up the market for those who can afford a Porsche, but couldn't drive it.

RayChuang

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 145):
The old, cynical me would say: all the doppelkupplung did was opening up the market for those who can afford a Porsche, but couldn't drive it.

Interesting you mention that because a number of automotive magazines who've tested Porsches with PDK noted the car ended up being faster than the conventional manual version. They note that because PDK changes gears far faster than any human can, you get faster acceleration.

Kiwirob

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 132):
and there's the single clutch automated manual as seen in the standard Maserati Quatroporte and Smart cars,

The transmission in the Maserati is the same transmission as in most Ferreris today, it's one of the best transmissions in the world, bugger all people today buy a manual Ferraris because the automated manual is so freaking good. The first Maseratis with this tranny has issues as did the first Ferraris, all those problems are in the past.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 146):
Interesting you mention that because a number of automotive magazines who've tested Porsches with PDK noted the car ended up being faster than the conventional manual version.

And probably the automotive journalists testing the cars are the only ones who give a damn...OK, there is another group. The sales reps who try to sell the PDK options to the customers. It would be really interesting to know the percentage of the owners who regularly use the PDK in manual mode. I'd be surprised if it would be higher than 5 %.

They note that because PDK changes gears far faster than any human can, you get faster acceleration.

Upshift is faster. Downshift is just about as fast as manual. However, I can't really see how is it important for a regular user.

Fly2HMO

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Interesting you mention that because a number of automotive magazines who've tested Porsches with PDK noted the car ended up being faster than the conventional manual version.

Well duh. But the mid-life crisis type of people that buy these things don't give a rats ass. All they care about is the Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo/Aston, etc badge on the hood. Sadly the vast majority of these driver's cars end up being wasted in the hands of old farts who put them to good use by driving them to the supermarket to buy milk.