Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

The Rally To Restore Sanity/And Or Fear

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:18 am

Anyone going to this: http://www.rallytorestoresanity.com/ . I think its gonna be hillarious. I wish i could go (im in India at the moment).

ua777222

RE: The Rally To Restore Sanity/And Or Fear

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:25 am

Family member flew into IAD connecting home to SFO and said that her flight was PACKED with people going to the rally.

It'll be exciting to see on TV tomorrow. I fear that Jon is overstepping the line between satire and actual politics but he is amazingly good at playing the game so it should be interesting to see how it plays out between Colbert and him who both have great chemistry.

Stay tuned.

vikkyvik

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:28 am

This cracked me up:

Think of our event as Woodstock, but with the nudity and drugs replaced by respectful disagreement; the Million Man March, only a lot smaller, and a bit less of a sausage fest; or the Gathering of the Juggalos, but instead of throwing our feces at Tila Tequila, we’ll be actively *not* throwing our feces at Tila Tequila.

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:15 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 1):
Family member flew into IAD connecting home to SFO and said that her flight was PACKED with people going to the rally.

It'll be exciting to see on TV tomorrow. I fear that Jon is overstepping the line between satire and actual politics but he is amazingly good at playing the game so it should be interesting to see how it plays out between Colbert and him who both have great chemistry.

Its it gonna be live on the CC website for those of us outside the US or without access to a tv? I might have to torrent the whole thing in the end though lol.

AGM100

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Just so they clean up after themselves at the very least ....

I guess this is a rally for independents / undecided ?.... nothing wrong with that . I hope they have fun and enjoy the mall ... the trees should be beautiful this time of year.

JBirdAV8r

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 4):
I guess this is a rally for independents / undecided ?....

Nah, pseudo-intellects and college students (note: that's decidedly not mutually exclusive...)

akiss20

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 5):
I guess this is a rally for independents / undecided ?....

Nah, pseudo-intellects and college students (note: that's decidedly not mutually exclusive...)

And we are the elitists?  

seb146

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:46 pm

My partners parents watch FOX news like it is gospel. I have not heard one word about the rally. But, when the FOX/Beck/Palin rally was held, that was all they talked about. Right-wing media acts like the only rallies that are held are the ones they sponsor.

I would love to be there. If they got any coverage from FOX, that would show the American people that there are other opinions out there that are not scary or anti-American. But, we all know that will never happen. Oh, wait. Yes, FOX will make a statement about it: As a light-hearted funny story at the very tail end of a late Sunday night show when no one watches TV anyway....

AGM100

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 7):
have not heard one word about the rally

Nice try .. I watched the morning of the Beck rally and no networks were carrying coverage of it. Even Fox .... I just didn't see much on about the rally until Beck and Orielly ran it. It was not a FOX sponsored event officially .

It is on CSPAN now ... as it should be and it looks like they have a great crowd and are having a good time. Trying to watch ..with open mind but ... its sort of painful like a bad comedy show .

DocLightning

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 8):

It is on CSPAN now ... as it should be and it looks like they have a great crowd and are having a good time. Trying to watch ..with open mind but ... its sort of painful like a bad comedy show .

250,000 I hear... More than any in a while. More than a million-man march. More than a million-mom march.

Emirates773ER

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Wish I could attend it, sadly business took me to san fransisco instead of new york.

PSA53

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:19 pm

I would love to be there,as well.But I have to be a little suspect of Stewart's,who is ultra liberal, real intention so close to the election.So,I hope he keeps it light hearted with no political guests.

I would love to be there. If they got any coverage from FOX, that would show the American people that there are other opinions out there that are not scary or anti-American.

That "other" opinion,as you say,has had it's way for decades before FOX came on line.And conservative opposition always got squashed.It was not "fair and balanced."

AGM100

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
250,000 I hear... More than any in a while.

Well.... except ... never mind. It is a great crowd .... and like Stewart said he see's allot of color. He quickly pointed out the racial make up , the religious make up . It felt weird to me .... but in his world its all about that I guess .

mbmbos

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 12):
...but in his world its all about that I guess .

Um, are you familiar with the concept of irony?

DocLightning

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 11):

That "other" opinion,as you say,has had it's way for decades before FOX came on line.And conservative opposition always got squashed.It was not "fair and balanced."

Is it just remotely possible that CNN, CNBC, NBC, etc are actually center-of-the-road and that Fox is extremist?

Jetsgo

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:46 pm

I wish they'd hold some kind of political rally out here that I could easily attend. Unfortunately, getting out there is next to impossible with work and relatively little notice.  Sad
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):
Is it just remotely possible that CNN, CNBC, NBC, etc are actually center-of-the-road and that Fox is extremist?

No.

[Edited 2010-10-30 11:47:19]

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Well.... except ... never mind. It is a great crowd .... and like Stewart said he see's allot of color. He quickly pointed out the racial make up , the religious make up . It felt weird to me .... but in his world its all about that I guess .

Why is that wierd?

san747

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Jon is delivering a really great speech right now about how we need to work together and not be so divisive. The cynic in me thinks that this will go over the head of a lot of people, but the side of me that has a little faith in humanity hopes people will listen and embrace that message.

The vitriolic atmosphere of contemporary American politics is creating a minority of extremists on both sides, and even worse, its creating political apathy from people who resent it and simply want nothing to do with politics anymore.

PSA53

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):

MSNBC and FOX are the extreme.I agree.FOX is a necessary evil right now.But FOX ,has raised serious issues that the others have not even taken on.But It's also an overkill of the right,no doubt,as MSNBC is to the left.It needs to be more of a moderate-right CNN format type.CNN is a moderate-left.CNBC is business,for the most part.

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 17):

Jon is delivering a really great speech right now about how we need to work together and not be so divisive. The cynic in me thinks that this will go over the head of a lot of people, but the side of me that has a little faith in humanity hopes people will listen and embrace that message.

The vitriolic atmosphere of contemporary American politics is creating a minority of extremists on both sides, and even worse, its creating political apathy from people who resent it and simply want nothing to do with politics anymore.

I caught most of it, it was a really good speech  . Sadly the conservative members on here and in the rest of the electorate either wont care or dont get it  .

BMI727

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 5):

No, just people who realize that all of this political rhetoric is BS and nothing the candidates say will happen is going to happen, since they're just trying to get elected. It's for people who believe that Obama is neither Christ nor the anti-Christ. The idea is to be the air freshener to relieve sane Americans of the stench of the American political septic tank, which has been overflowing for a while now.

Charles79

Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 pm

I just got home from the rally and it was lots of fun! The signs were very clever and the costumes very unique. The crowd was enormous, the most I have seen here in DC since the Inauguration in Jan 2009.

The atmosphere was more like a carnival than a rally to be honest, with everyone just having a good time. Regardless of your political views this was a great event to a part of.

But please, before you go home, clean up after yourself and leave my city as clean as you found it!  

Aaron747

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 20):
No, just people who realize that all of this political rhetoric is BS and nothing the candidates say will happen is going to happen, since they're just trying to get elected. It's for people who believe that Obama is neither Christ nor the anti-Christ. The idea is to be the air freshener to relieve sane Americans of the stench of the American political septic tank, which has been overflowing for a while now.

Amazing how this fairly simply point is lost on so many...

He quickly pointed out the racial make up , the religious make up . It felt weird to me .... but in his world its all about that I guess

...case in point.

AGM100

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 22):
case in point.

I would prefer if we didn't even have to make a point of it .... so I am not enlightened enough to see both angles? . Imagine if Beck had done that at his rally ! You guys would have howled with horror ! Please.

The left goes on an on about TEA Party whiteness ... my point is that your a racist if you even bring it up. But Stewart brought it up to solidify the point and to make it a issue against the TEA party. The only hope the libs have is to divide along racial lines . So we will have it and it will of course be destructive .... amazing how that point passes so many by.

And by the way .. FOX did a nice report on the rally .

san747

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 23):

I would prefer if we didn't even have to make a point of it .... so I am not enlightened enough to see both angles? . Imagine if Beck had done that at his rally ! You guys would have howled with horror ! Please.

The left goes on an on about TEA Party whiteness ... my point is that your a racist if you even bring it up. But Stewart brought it up to solidify the point and to make it a issue against the TEA party. The only hope the libs have is to divide along racial lines . So we will have it and it will of course be destructive .... amazing how that point passes so many by.

Interesting interpretation, especially since you completely ignored this question:

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 13):

Um, are you familiar with the concept of irony?

I'm pretty sure he was being ironic. You know, because Jon Stewart is a satirist?

Maverick623

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Um... you do realize Stewart is a comedian and satirist, right?

Then again, both major parties have as their mascots, symbols of the worst of what they are.

CaliAtenza
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Imagine if Beck had done that at his rally ! You guys would have howled with horror ! Please.

Well Beck is a racist pretty much, we all know that.

dxing

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:02 pm

250,000 I hear... More than any in a while. More than a million-man march. More than a million-mom march.

Good luck promoting that number.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...litics/main7006664.shtml?tag=stack

Comedy Central's park permit puts the crowd estimate at 60,000. There were plans for satellite rallies in cities including Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver and Honolulu.

Of course 10,000 of those got free bus passes thanks to the Huffington Post as well as 200 getting travel expenses from Oprah. (same story)

The rally generated extensive buzz on the Internet, with more than 226,000 people on a Facebook page created for the event saying they would attend. The liberal Huffington Post was sending a caravan of 10,000 people on 200 buses from New York, while TV talk show host Oprah Winfrey expressed her support by providing travel expenses to a "Daily Show" studio audience of about 200 members so that they could attend.

So in order to get an audience they had to give out the freebies. Sounds familiar.

Emirates773ER

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 27):
So in order to get an audience they had to give out the freebies. Sounds familiar.

Fact of the matter is that the rally for a huge success, get over it.

ua777222

Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Of course 10,000 of those got free bus passes thanks to the Huffington Post as well as 200 getting travel expenses from Oprah. (same story)

Huffington didn't actually expect people to catch onto the whole "Sanity-Bus" idea. I don't think she was expecting to fork up $175,000+ to give free rides out, regardless of how wealthy she may be.

Before this gets out of hand, and it will, they did a good job at taking equal stabs at both sides and calling both where they have been wrong. His final speech was very good.

Glad to those of you who got to go--I think they restrained Colbert quite a bit given it was really Stewart's event.

dxing

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:03 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 28):
Fact of the matter is that the rally for a huge success, get over it.

How much of a success would it have been without the freebie rides? I don't remember and reports of Beck having to dish out free bus rides from hundreds of miles away to get an audience. Care to correct me? Go ahead and post the source.

seb146

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:07 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 18):
FOX ,has raised serious issues that the others have not even taken on.But It's also an overkill of the right,no doubt,as MSNBC is to the left

The problem is when right-wing talkers like Palin, Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc. talk, they get serious air time. That is: they are taken seriously. But, when MSNBC brings up any points at all, we are all told they are a joke and how dare anyone speak out against the right. Even when it is done here, we are told to be quiet and we are not worth listening to. People on the right say they want open dialog, but when anyone to their left tries to start an open dialog, we are told to pretty much shut up.

dxing

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:10 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 31):
People on the right say they want open dialog, but when anyone to their left tries to start an open dialog, we are told to pretty much shut up.

You're asked to post your facts which sadly some never do. We are supposed to take the left's talking points as fact and not question them even when documented facts can be shown to disprove their talking points. I'm sure Colbert and Stewart put on a good show, but it's entertainment and should be taken that way.

ua777222

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:10 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 30):
How much of a success would it have been without the freebie rides? I don't remember and reports of Beck having to dish out free bus rides from hundreds of miles away to get an audience. Care to correct me? Go ahead and post the source.

Ok, subtract the 10,000 that came on the bus and you still out number Beck's rally. I mean, as hard as it is to believe that he obtained 500,000 (by his own account), I think we can all agree that's more than a stretch.

us330

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:00 am

I live about half a mile from the mall, and went to the rally, but left before it actually started, because it was so jam-packed that if you didn't get there before 830am or so, you pretty much had no chance of seeing or hearing anything. My friends and I got tired of suffocating and having to elbow and push our way through everything, so we ended up going to a bar and watching it, about 10 minutes before the bar got packed with other people having the same idea.

I hope they have fun and enjoy the mall ... the trees should be beautiful this time of year.

Today was about as picture perfect as you can get in terms of weather. Not a cloud in the sky, cool in the morning, and nice enough by midday so that if you were in the sun, you didn't necessarily need a sweater. Foliage is just at its peak, maybe a little past, but if you want to see the really pretty areas, go to georgetown.

But, when the FOX/Beck/Palin rally was held, that was all they talked about. Right-wing media acts like the only rallies that are held are the ones they sponsor.

I run regularly on the mall, and my usual morning jog the morning of the beck rally was about the same time as I went down to the Stewart rally. No comparison, Stewart easily outdrew Beck at least 5 fold. Everywhere in downtown DC was packed, whereas when Beck came to town, you just thought it was a normal saturday in DC.

He quickly pointed out the racial make up , the religious make up . It felt weird to me .... but in his world its all about that I guess

From my own personal observations of being in and around the crowd today, it was pretty damn white. The beck rally was probably whiter, but that's not saying much. I would hardly consider either to be representative of the American melting pot.

Comedy Central's park permit puts the crowd estimate at 60,000

It was more than that. Easily. They only put up screens for video for two blocks, whereas the crowd stretched all the way back to the washington monument.

So in order to get an audience they had to give out the freebies. Sounds familiar

Nope. They would have, and did, come anyway.

Mir

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:08 am

I was there, and it was a great experience. I'll have some photos to post later, but my comments for now: it was refreshingly non-partisan, and while there were parts that I didn't think went over that well, for the most part I'd say that it was pretty damn funny.

Comedy Central's park permit puts the crowd estimate at 60,000. There were plans for satellite rallies in cities including Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver and Honolulu.

Well, there were WAY more than 60,000 there. Easily twice that number, and probably more than that. 300,000 would not surprise me at all. The crowd stretched from 3rd St to at least 10th St - over a half mile. And the mall was completely packed.

Quoting dxing (Reply 30):
How much of a success would it have been without the freebie rides?

I don't have numbers for how many people HuffPost bussed in, but if it's the 10,000 you say, I'd call it a pretty damn huge success.

Quoting dxing (Reply 32):
I'm sure Colbert and Stewart put on a good show, but it's entertainment and should be taken that way.

You could say the exact same thing about Beck.

-Mir

BlueElephant

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:38 am

Quoting charles79 (Reply 21):
I just got home from the rally and it was lots of fun! The signs were very clever and the costumes very unique. The crowd was enormous, the most I have seen here in DC since the Inauguration in Jan 2009.

I was there too and it was a blast. As the others said it was just a fun time, lots of great signs around.

I got on to the mall at 9:45 and was easily about 3-4 blocks away...It wouldn't surprise me if there was way more than the 150,000 people the Mythbusters suggested.

By the way, that part was one of the best for me...being part of a huge science experiment. Hope the mythbusters use that in one of their shows.

iflykpdx

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:40 am

It's about time the majority moderate public show their presence. We seem to have been sadly forgotten in this period of polarized media and politics. I don't know how much of an impact it will have on fixing that, but I'd call it a success in that it's been proven a rally doesn't need to have extremist speakers shouting distorted facts or pure BS to rile up their base. Reasonableness is too often left completely by the wayside in order to scare people into donating money and I'm sure it's turned off a lot of people from participating in our democracy, which is a shame.

ltbewr

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:13 am

Quoting iflykpdx (Reply 37):
It's about time the majority moderate public show their presence. We seem to have been sadly forgotten in this period of polarized media and politics. I don't know how much of an impact it will have on fixing that, but I'd call it a success in that it's been proven a rally doesn't need to have extremist speakers shouting distorted facts or pure BS to rile up their base. Reasonableness is too often left completely by the wayside in order to scare people into donating money and I'm sure it's turned off a lot of people from participating in our democracy, which is a shame.

I saw on CNN Saturday evening one of the comedy entertainers who participated in the rally and he noted that the rally had a cross-section of America, of all ages, color of skin, gender, and so on. To me, that is what part of Stewart's rally was about, to show that a majority of all kinds of Americans are unhappy with the tenor of our politics, we need a lot less polarization, to try to use reason to resolve the issues we face.

RottenRay

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:37 am

I would love to be there,as well.But I have to be a little suspect of Stewart's,who is ultra liberal, real intention so close to the election.So,I hope he keeps it light hearted with no political guests.

Not to be overly pedantic, but you could try putting spaces after your punctuation. Much easier to read.

As far as Stewart, he's really not ultra liberal. He's actually quite conservative and very progressive considering his rather Jewish stature.

I like his blend of satire and common sense. He might, at some distant point in the future, make a decent senator.

I still hold hope for Al Franken, another satirist turned politician. I can't blame him for falling asleep during the interminable partisan battles which currently fester on the floor.

After all, he is pretty worn out from his battle to sit in the seat he won.

RR

ua777222

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:09 am

AirPhotosLive, unassociated to any political party or event, has today at 215,000 +/- 10%. They also estimated Glenn to be at 87,000 +/- 10%.

Glenn Beck:

Jon Stewart:

You be the judge.

Maverick623

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:58 am

Good luck promoting that number.
Quoting ua777222 (Reply 40):

Seems like luck is in abundance tonight.

DocLightning

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:10 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):

Waiting for an acknowledgement from dxing.

But dxing isn't ever man enough to admit he's wrong. Never seen it once.

Charles79

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:28 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 34):
Everywhere in downtown DC was packed, whereas when Beck came to town, you just thought it was a normal saturday in DC.

This is very true! We were shocked at the fact that they had closed down good sections of Penn Ave and Constitution Ave. Pretty much everywhere you went there was a sea of people, much more than at the Beck rally. In fact on the day of the Beck rally I had to go into town for some shopping and as us330 stated I was able to conduct my business as usual. Yesterday you couldn't even go anywhere near the Metro stations!

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 36):
I got on to the mall at 9:45 and was easily about 3-4 blocks away...It wouldn't surprise me if there was way more than the 150,000 people the Mythbusters suggested.

We actually went to Pentagon City yesterday morning (a way overdue Costco visit!) and they had dozens of buses parking near the Pentagon and PC Mall areas, with droves of people marching towards the Metro stations....this was around 10:00 AM. On the way back home to Capitol Hill we saw lines of people making their way from the Metro stations and the RFK stadium (where more buses were parked). One more point: unlike the Beck rally (or many previous rallies, regardless of political affiliation and/or cause) we saw lots of local residents going home from the event. Here in our Cap Hill area (by Lincoln Park) nearly every one we know was going; typically we (the locals) avoid these types of events like the plague!

NIKV69

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 pm

You be the judge.

Hope he can get all those people to the voting booth Tuesday. You will need it.

dxing

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:47 pm

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 33):
Ok, subtract the 10,000 that came on the bus and you still out number Beck's rally. I mean, as hard as it is to believe that he obtained 500,000 (by his own account), I think we can all agree that's more than a stretch.

I don't believe he had 500,000 or even 100,00 for that matter.

It was more than that. Easily. They only put up screens for video for two blocks, whereas the crowd stretched all the way back to the washington monument.

The pictures above show the crowd for both extending to the Washington Monument. The big difference here is that Washington is a blue town.

Nope. They would have, and did, come anyway.

That they had to give away free bus rides says volumes in the difference between the crowds.

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
You could say the exact same thing about Beck.

And you'd be right.

AirPhotosLive, unassociated to any political party or event, has today at 215,000 +/- 10%. They also estimated Glenn to be at 87,000 +/- 10%.

CBS backs that number up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021284-503544.html

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):

Nope, he said:

250,000 I hear...

Which is short by 35K. So again, good luck defending that number.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
aiting for an acknowledgement from dxing.

But dxing isn't ever man enough to admit he's wrong. Never seen it once.

And I've shown you more than once where you are wrong on that score. The 60k number that Stewarts people put out was wrong as was your number. At least I'm man enough to put my money and time where my mouth is, we both know you aren't.

[Edited 2010-10-31 07:56:48]

aloges

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:29 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 45):

yet...

So which is it?

Nope, he said:

250,000 I hear...

215,000 plus 10% is 236,500, that's just 13,500 short - not a lot of luck needed to defend the rumour that DocLightning heard. (conversely, 193,500 would be 56,500 short)

ua777222

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:33 pm

And I would consider them to be the least of the pandering news agencies.

Did anyone tell Beck this?

The pictures above show the crowd for both extending to the Washington Monument. The big difference here is that Washington is a blue town.

Yep, That's it.

That they had to give away free bus rides says volumes in the difference between the crowds.

It doesn't say volumes, it says 10,000 people which is less than the margin of error in the estimates.

A shortage of 35k is a lot easier to defend than 415,000--And don't cry that it was left-leaning media out to get 'ole Beck--he opened his mouth and they took it from record.

AGM100

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:58 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 25):
Um... you do realize Stewart is a comedian and satirist, right?

No different than Beck .... a satirist radio guy.

Gee I hope Sheila Jackson Lee calls for a investigation ..... sure are rascists signs at this rally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Cl7_w7SNQ&feature=player_embedded#!

dxing

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 47):
And I would consider them to be the least of the pandering news agencies.

The only reason it's believable is because and outside company did the counting.

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 47):
A shortage of 35k is a lot easier to defend than 415,000--And don't cry that it was left-leaning media out to get 'ole Beck--he opened his mouth and they took it from record.

As I said, I don't believe the Beck rally had even 100,000. But the difference is that Stewart had a number to shoot for which is why Huffington offered those busses and Oprah offered the travel expenses. They were going to make damn sure they had more people than Becks rally so comments like the ones on this thread could be made. Washington D.C., and northern Virgina are predominantly blue so once the figure was established by Beck's rally all Stewart had to do was beat it and somehow that proves the country thinks we are on the right track when poll after poll nationwide reflects the opposite. Both rallies accomplished very little other than to give voice to their particular audiences.