Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

f.pier
Topic Author

Do You Like Your Country Politicians?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:52 pm

I live in Italy and here the most of the people say that politicians in general, doesn't matter the party, are corrupted, only interested into their personal business.
I also agree with this point of view even if I have to say that I think the party who is running Italy is the worst, ever.
But this is only an Italian issue or also in other countries people don't like politicians?

LTU932

RE: Do You Like Your Country Politicians?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Quoting f.pier (Thread starter):
I also agree with this point of view even if I have to say that I think the party who is running Italy is the worst, ever.
But this is only an Italian issue or also in other countries people don't like politicians?

You know what's curious? My parents support that nutjob Berlusconi, yet I'm the only one in the family who doesn't. Then again, what other options are there? They could be just as bad as Silvio.

Anyway, here in Germany I've started to dislike current politicians. For example our Chancellor, Miss Merkel only performs politics for the major lobbies. Their politicies go in favour of the likes like the pharma industry, the big four utilities companies (RWE, Vattenfall, Eon and EnBW), and hoteliers with the tax breaks (specifically a reduced VAT) they got handed on the silver platter.

And don't believe that the unemployment numbers are truely that low. This government has yet to resolve issues they've managed to avoid or just did half heartedly. The unemployment statistics may say that more people are working, but we need to get those who are still long term unemployed to work again, people over a certain age, who would never have a chance at getting a proper job anyway, aren't even included, plus there are people who have jobs that pay only a Euro per hour and thus they need additionally welfare money (aka Hartz IV and even Wohngeld for helping pay for the red) to be able to have a somehwat decent living, despite the fact that they live beyond the poverty line of below 900 Euros a month.

And don't get me started on the state government in Hamburg. Next elections in two years, they won't get my vote.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

sw733

Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:42 pm

I am a dual citizen, so...

USA: Nope. They are all a bunch of corrupt scumbags, both sides of the aisle. Have been for a long time, and will be for a long time

Namibia: Hifikepunye Pohamba is a competent President, but not perfect...that said, who is? I truly believe his government has done the best they could since coming in to power in 2005. Namibia is becoming a more powerful economic leader in Africa (as much as we can be since we are still, ya know, Namibia...), security is good, regional strife is low (not many place hate us...largely because not many know where the heck we are). Last I heard, Pohamba has an approval rating in the high 70s. However, let me note: Namibia is mostly black, and from my experience, after Apartheid, a black leader can get away with most anything in Namibia and still be liked by blacks. BUT, one great thing is that the Pohamba government, and the Nujoma government ahead of it, has more or less accepted us white folk as equal, and made us feel at home. Note, Namibia is 6 to 7% white.

fr8mech

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 pm

In a word: No. I don't trust politicians nor do I trust government.

That said, I believe most people who get into politics, especially at the local level, do so to make things better, but somewhere along the way, things change. These changes occur over time and as a person gains more political (and in some cases, financial) power. I'm not saying everyone of the folks that goes to Washington D.C. (or your respective national or state capitol) is going to be corrupted, but those that don't get swayed in the direction of 'the dark side' often don't last long.

It's a pity...many good people have gone down that toilet and way too many good people don't even try because of that culture.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Fabo

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Let me put it this way.

middle-right government poured money into their own pockets.
leftist government pured money into their own pockets.

But SDKU-based governments of Dzurinda in 1998-2006 and Radicova VI.2010-present at least do some good for country in the process.

However, newcomers in current govenment, SaS particularly, seem to bring new wind of transparency into politics. Lets hope it will stay this way.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

shamrock321

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Interesting topic for Ireland today! Our health minister who isnt exactly a picture of health had a tin of paint over her! No pity from anyone!

LTU932

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
I am a dual citizen, so...

You just reminded me of that fact myself (that I'm also a dual citizen)...

Costa Rica elected a woman as President this year, and municipal elections are coming up in December (for the last time in the same year as the presidential elections). President Chincilla was a lapdog to Oscar Arias. Arias scored well his first two years in office, but after the CAFTA issue went through, it all went downhill. Chinchilla only got to power because she was the vice president, and because she's a woman, the people wanted a woman in power, and as far as I'm concerned, judging by the results, she won by a landslide. This doesn't change the fact that politicians in Costa Rica are much worse than in Germany. For example, German Health Minister Phillip Rösler, with him increasing insurance fees for people who are publically insured, pails in comparison to Costa Rica's María Luisa Ávila, who bowed down to the pharma lobby to buy all those vaccines against the swine flu for introducing a compulsory vaccination against it. For decades, nobody bothered to even get the constant devaluation of the Colón under control (in 2000, the exchange rate for 1 US Dollar was 232.60 Colones, ten years later it averages at around 529.62 Colones), and crime rates are increasing by the minute.

I won't go further into detail, or I'll make this even more of a personal rant than it already is.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

MattRB

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:12 am

Not particularly, no. They're all interested in doing whatever will get them the votes to stay in power, instead of what's right for the country and its populace.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

danvs

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:11 am

Transparency International has recently published the results of "Corruption Perception Index" for 2010.
It measures "the degree to which public sector corruption is perceived to exist in 178 countries around the world".

Top 10:
Denmark
New Zealand
Singapore
Finland
Sweden
Canada
Netherlands
Australia
Switzerland
Norway

Italy is #67.
Brazil is #69.

Bottom 5:

Uzbekistan
Iraq
Afghanistan
Myanmar
Somalia

http://www.transparency.org/policy_r...h/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results

soon7x7

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:33 am

Unless you fancy a fondness for criminals in suits and dresses...NO!...the USA needs to flush the toilet on how politicians are allowed to behave. They have forgotten about the "public servant part" and now it is the "entitled" layer of society, the "A" listers. Enjoying our tax dollars, fighting wars with bogus rules of engagement. 50,000 American soldiers will not get to vote...WHAT!?...how convenient Mr. Obama. Bet if 50,000 soldiers owed the IRS statements would be attached to every footlocker in 24 hours...make it stop!...   

Maverick623

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 am

Quoting DanVS (Reply 8):
Somalia

Doesn't even have a functioning government.

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 9):
50,000 American soldiers will not get to vote

I have not heard about this. Any details as to why?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

kaitak

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:54 am

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 5):
Interesting topic for Ireland today! Our health minister who isnt exactly a picture of health had a tin of paint over her! No pity from anyone!

Ah but she looks a lot better with the paint.

Joking apart, they are - with a very few exceptions - an awful shower. Not necessarily corrupt, but just inept. Our Taoiseach (pronounced "tea-shokh", or PM) was the former finance minister, so he effectively oversaw the overheating of the Celtic Tiger, and did nothing to stop it. The ex-Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, was a very good politician, but a very bad leader; he basically gave in to everyone. The government has an advantage in that the opposition is fairly inept as well; it's insurance policy is that the opposition leader is widely regarded as not up to the job, but they can't/won't get rid of him.

Other than that, we're fine.

Mudboy

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:51 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
USA: Nope. They are all a bunch of corrupt scumbags, both sides of the aisle. Have been for a long time, and will be for a long time

Welcome to the USA!!! I think this pretty much sums it up right here, great post 

aerorobnz

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 am

No. All politicians everywhere are self important self indulging money hungry bastards who are only in it to maintain power.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

kl838

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:33 am

Coming from St. Maarten, (yes, the very famous airport and landing strip we all know and love) our government is absolutely corrupt and with this new country status I really don't know what to expect. We currently have a half finished landfill in the pond that first of all is unnecessary which the government spent $10 million + tax dollars and they don't even have the money to complete it. Now I was clearly against this project because it will make the area more prone to flooding which is already a problem. Yet when we recently had heavy rains one politician was quick to say the landfill helped to prevent flooding which makes no sense. A second thing is that the government actually bought the sand from a company that they paid to dredge the ocean floor for. So they paid double! Not to mention the new parliament building they claim they are paying $100,000 a month to rent which is definitely an inflated price as the building is crap and someone clearly is getting a cut in it. So no I don't like my country's politicians and frankly all of them are just as bad, and that is a bit of insight into our small corrupt government.

MadameConcorde

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 am

Not at all. Sarkozy is a despicable person and so is his wife Carla Bruni.

This has nothing to do with the recent protests. It's just their bling and ostentatious manners in these times of economic trouble that I find totally osbcene and certainly out of place.

I wish nothing bad on them although I will be very happy to see them gone when his time is up..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-amid-French-strikes-protests.html

Monaco is a piece of cake and such a cool unpretentious place when you think of Sarkozy and his government.

Prince Albert of Monaco is so totally human and caring. The Government of Monaco runs the place like a business and even in these times of economic downturn they are doing very well. Also they are chasing out those shady residents requiring them to leave. They don't want to ruin hte Principality's reputation. Next Summer will be the wedding and the coming of a new Princess. Prince Albert of Monaco is a true sweetheart.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Go3Team

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 am

Not one bit.

At my local level, they are great. Low taxes, great schools, etc. Next door in the city things are quite the opposite.

I'll be voting in the morning to do my part.
Yay Pudding!

Superfly

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 12):
Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):

Welcome to the USA!!! I think this pretty much sums it up right here, great post

Both major parties have been hijacked by extremist.
The Republicans have been hijacked by bigoted tea party hate-mongers, Christian fundamentalist that want to legislate morality and shrink government to where it's small enough to fit in to our bedroom.
The Democratic party has been hijacked by environmentalist that want to drive away every single successful business and have increasingly been apologetic to terrorist that want to kill us.
Bring back the Concorde

AM744

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Lefties have worked well in Mexico City. At least better than their predecessors. My grievance with them is that police and law enforcement could be way better now (they've been in power for 15 years now, so no excuses there), and public transport strategy is better than nothing, but perfectible. They need to drop their populist rethoric, though. There is a sizable middle class here, so they need to moderate their policies and cater their needs.

Righties have dropped the ball at the Federal level and the results are out there for all to see: a failed street level 'Drug on Wars' with no intelligence work and no financial seizements, Canadian Visa imposed on Mexicans, bad diplomatic relations with mostly everyone, a terrible perception problem abroad, FAA Cat II, MX went bust and the feds were slow and incompetent to react, taxes went up for the few that pay them so big corporations and informal economic agents are having their day as they always have.

The 'center' aka PRI is terrible as usual. Governing south eastern states as their personal feuds resulting in poor economic indicators, as usual.

All in all I feel we lack accountability, specially at state governments level.

UNCRDU

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:43 pm

I dislike almost all of Obama's policies, but I don't have anything against him as a person. He seems to be friendly enough.

TR763

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Quoting f.pier (Thread starter):
I live in Italy and here the most of the people say that politicians in general, doesn't matter the party, are corrupted, only interested into their personal business.

I have the same feelings here in Brazil, where we just had presidential election.
Lula is an idiot, a drunk bastard who has always claimed ignorance about all the public and investigated corruption that happened during his two mandates. Also, having never studied anything in his life, albeit there were many time and opportunity to do it, he keeps saying crap after crap in public. He proudly says his first diploma was the President's one.
When Obama told him "you're the man", he sadly did not understand the irony. The guy is obsessed by it's power and I feel disgusted to have a president like that.

Now, his candidate mrs. Dilma Roussef won the presidential election. A woman who had never been elected for anything. Someone who has a history full of blood and had involvement in many crimes, including homicides, during the dictatorial era in Brazil. I'm not defending the dictators, just saying that terrorism was not the best way to fight against them. And Dilma had participation in these events.
It's really a shame that Brazilians can't distinguish things when electing our representatives. Our people just doesn't study the past of each candidate and is very accomodated with the absurds we see everyday coming from Brasília.

But everyone says that Lula is the reflection of the Brazilian mass. And Dilma, in my opinion, is undoubtedly his puppet.
I feel ashamed to be considered part of this mass. Or mess, whatever you prefer.
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

larshjort

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:04 pm

I don't like my politicians, the centre-left opposition has moved a bit more to the left the last few years and the centre-right koalition looks very tired after 9 years in power.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 11):

Ah but she looks a lot better with the paint.

Let's see some pictures of ministers covered with paint. Here's Anders Fogh Rasmussen Secretary General of NATO and former prime minister of Denmark

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

AF340

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:50 pm

Depends. Generally I don't have too much of a problem with the Federal Conservatives -- except when they sacrifice conservative principles in order to get votes. The Federal Liberals, NDP, Blocs, and Greens I don't like. They are attempting to bring our country back to the days of Pearson and Trudeau -- that's not where we should be. I don't, however, believe them to be corrupt (with the exception of certain Liberals who had a hand in the Sponsorship Scandal).

As for the provincial level, I cannot express the scorn and repulsion I hold for our Liberal Ontario Premier Dalton (Dad) McGuinty. The guy has devastated our province's economy, completely curbed any rights citizens (but mainly young adults) have. The man is an absolute disgrace and should be booted out with a quick kick in the a**. The leader of the Conservative opposition, Tim Hudak has good ideas but really hasn't done much considering there is an election next year. I really hope to see him repeal McGuinty's useless drinking and driving laws, lower the drinking age to 18 from 19, get the government OUT of selling alcohol --- and just generally let us live freer lives.

On the municipal level I once loathed our mayor here in Toronto, but with the recent election of fiscally-conservative Rob Ford, our city is back on the right track and many of the close to corrupt councillors are gone. Hallelujah.

Kent350787

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:10 am

Federally I think they're OK - too much politicking and trumped up fighting for the daily news cycle, but generally and clearly committed to serving the people rather than just themselves. My local MP has a kid in the year above mine at our local school.

At state level the Government is consumed by vested interests and factional infighting and will be overwhelmingly thumped at the next election. The Deputy Premier, the wife of my local Federal member, is clearly one of the better ones, but will be brought down, probably defeated by the Greens. The problem is, the current opposition also has its issues with vested interests and factional infighting.

Local government, meh. It does what it does. The current mayor is the Green who'll probably defeat the Dep. Premier.....
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359