Pictures Of Hoover Dam And The Bypass Bridge

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:46 pm

View from the the bypass bridge:

O'Callaghan-Tillman Memorial Bridge:

Ain't I a stinker?

srbmod

RE: Pictures Of Hoover Dam And The Bypass Bridge

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:58 pm

It's definitely going to make getting to Hoover Dam a lot less of a pain since all traffic not going to the dam take the bridge and those going to the dam take the road to the dam. Those several mile traffic jams will be a thing of the past, as will truckers having to take the roundabout route through Laughlin due to trucks being banned from going over the dam in the wake of 9/11. I remember the one and only time I've ventured down there, I made sure to get there early (as I had heard about the traffic issues that back the road up). I left Hoover Dam probably about 10:30 in the morning and the traffic was already backed up to the curve right before the parking garage.

MasterBean

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 pm

I wonder how long it will be before somebody does a base jump off it. Will be pretty cool.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:12 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 1):
Those several mile traffic jams will be a thing of the past, as will truckers having to take the roundabout route through Laughlin due to trucks being banned from going over the dam in the wake of 9/11.

Hopefully the Boulder City bypass project will get started soon. It'll provide an alternate route, especially for trucks and semis, around Boulder City and Railroad Pass Junction to I-515 (US 93) in Henderson.
Ain't I a stinker?

Okie

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 2):
I wonder how long it will be before somebody does a base jump off it. Will be pretty cool.

If they have not done so already then very very soon.

Okie

Confuscius
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 pm

I wonder how long it will be before somebody does a base jump off it

It's over 900 ft above the river. That's quite a thrill.

Quoting okie (Reply 4):
If they have not done so already then very very soon.

So far none of Sharron Angle's supporters haven't jump off yet, without a parachute that is...
Ain't I a stinker?

NIKV69

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Anet screener Randall Johnson did a bike ride to it for the opening. I took I-8 through socal to get back and didn't get a chance to drive over it but when I get back out there I am! That thing is Epic!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

desertjets

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 pm

That is a dam fine looking bridge. Very simple yet very elegant design.

Though I am always surprised that a bridge routing for US 93 took this long to happen and in the post 9/11 environment to finally be built. It just never made much sense to me to have all that traffic traversing the dam itself.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Confuscius
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 7):
Though I am always surprised that a bridge routing for US 93 took this long to happen and in the post 9/11 environment to finally be built. It just never made much sense to me to have all that traffic traversing the dam itself.

I believe it was due to lack of funding. Now with NAFTA, the proposed I-11 (Canamex Highway) from Mexico to Canada might actually be built. Arizona has widened most of US 93 to four lanes from the Hoover dam down to just north of Wickenburg.

[Edited 2010-11-05 14:51:12]
Ain't I a stinker?

DAL767400ER

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 3):
Quoting srbmod (Reply 1):
Those several mile traffic jams will be a thing of the past, as will truckers having to take the roundabout route through Laughlin due to trucks being banned from going over the dam in the wake of 9/11.

Hopefully the Boulder City bypass project will get started soon. It'll provide an alternate route, especially for trucks and semis, around Boulder City and Railroad Pass Junction to I-515 (US 93) in Henderson.

Won't get started too soon. Only Phase 1 is scheduled so far, and that only is the part from the current end of I-515 to south of the US-93/95 interchange. Phase 2, the majority of the bypass, is shelved until funding can be obtained.

virgin744

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Great pics!
I'm planning to revisit it since they've rerouted the traffic across the new bridge.

Cactus739

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 am

driving from Phoenix to Vegas in a couple weeks, can't wait to see this beauty
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

DocLightning

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:27 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 7):
That is a dam fine looking bridge. Very simple yet very elegant design.

Not to mention a bit dizzying...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MSPNWA

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:04 am

It was a pretty impressive bridge when I viewed from the dam this past summer. It will make the commute a lot faster and easier. I made plans to drive across the dam before it closed to vehicle traffic, so I'm glad I got that in before it was too late. Now someday I'll have to reverse the view and take a look from the bridge.

GQfluffy

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 8):
Now with NAFTA, the proposed I-11 (Canamex Highway) from Mexico to Canada might actually be built.

Waste of cash with I-15 only 100 miles away or so from the dam.
This isn't where I parked my car...

dxing

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Well I hope they take their swim fins with them since there is really no place to land but in the river itself. If you notice there is a boom in the river downstream from the bridge where the old penstock that diverted the river during dam construction comes out, so no boat waiting directly below.

I'm rather surprised that the fencing isn't much higher on the bridge itself not only to stop a base jumping attempt but suicides as well. But then the Golden Gate doesn't have high fence either so I guess the feeling is if you want to end it all, have at it.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 9):
Won't get started too soon. Only Phase 1 is scheduled so far, and that only is the part from the current end of I-515 to south of the US-93/95 interchange. Phase 2, the majority of the bypass, is shelved until funding can be obtained.

Wouldn't that have been a "shovel ready" project"?   
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Confuscius
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 14):
Waste of cash with I-15 only 100 miles away or so from the dam.

The route will mainly run along I-15 from Las Vegas all the way to Canada. The new freeway will be from Phoenix to Las Vegas. Two large metropolitan areas that's relatively close without an interstate highway connecting both cities. I'm not sure if the plan has a relationship with the deep water port that is under construction on the Pacific side of Mexico

FYI: Driving on the bridge is pretty unremarkable. You can't see the dam, unless you're in a big rig, because of the concrete barrier.

More pictures:
Entrance with ADA ramp.

Ain't I a stinker?