Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Springbok747
Topic Author

Twin Sisters Shot In Head At Shooting Range, Wth?

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:21 am

Twin sisters from Victoria, Australia have been shot in the head at an outdoor shooting range in Colorado, leaving one dead and the other critically injured, US authorities say.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/victo...ge-20101117-17wjn.html?from=age_sb

Suicide pact? Ricochet?
This is conjecture, but maybe they went to the range because the didn't own guns and could rent them there?

ua777222

RE: Twin Sisters Shot In Head At Shooting Range, Wth?

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:35 am

Authorities speculate that it was a double-suicide attempt.

Everyone is entitled to their own wishes when it comes to how to check out, but as a twin, she is going to forever haunt herself given that she lived and her sister died.

America: Not the place to come and shoot yourself or your sisters.

Strange that this occurred while they were here.

In Australia are guns as readily available to the public as they are here? (Not a gun control question, just do public shooting ranges exist?)

Springbok747
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 1):
In Australia are guns as readily available to the public as they are here? (Not a gun control question, just do public shooting ranges exist?)

Yes, public shooting ranges do exist, but in order to rent a gun you should be in possession of a valid firearms license, or be supervised by the range officer. Never heard of any fatalities occurring at any shooting range here. It seems there have been two suicides at that CO range...one in 2004 and one in 2009.

I also thought non-US residents would not be able to hire firearms..how did these women get hold of them? I was at a shooting range in ATL a few years ago, and the range officer would not let me handle any firearms before I could prove I knew how to shoot..and showed him my Australian firearms license. Even after all that he kept a very close eye on me.
Are gun range laws/regulations different in Colorado..say compared to Georgia?

ua777222

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:55 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 2):
Are gun range laws/regulations different in Colorado..say compared to Georgia?

I would say it varies based on state to state. However, I would say that even the most strict state is more liberal than most other democracies.

I'm not a gun person but my brother has a membership at range up by his college. I went to shoot with him and they didn't even ask for my ID. I signed a form saying I wouldn't sue if I killed myself and he took a Glock and an AR-15 and we went off and shot for an hour.

This was in Oregon.

Springbok747
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 3):
This was in Oregon.

Ah..ok..thought this was CO for some reason.

falstaff

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 3):
I would say it varies based on state to state

I went to Central Missouri State University and we had (maybe they still do) a shooting range right on campus in the basement of one of the buildings. I would shoot handguns there all the time, when I was still too young to own a handgun. The range workers were very good about teaching people how to shoot. The range was wildly popular with international students, particularly the ones from Asia. Those students could not own firearms, but they could rent the ones at the range and use them under the supervision of range personnel. If you were over 21 (18 for long guns) you could register at the campus police station for a permit that would allow you to carry your gun (cased) on to campus to the shooting range during range operating hours. Many students also kept there guns at range because having a gun in the dorm was against the rules. There were many students who were involved with hunting and shooting sports and it was great that they had a place on campus that you could safely store your guns.

I also thought non-US residents would not be able to hire firearms..how did these women get hold of them?

Depends on where you are. I know of several Michigan ranges that rent guns to use at their facility. It is good because it allows you to try something out before you buy and it gives non gun owners a chance to shoot. You do not need to to be a US citizen to shoot in Michigan. I have several friends from various EU countries and I have taken them to ranges in my area when they come to visit.

TheCommodore

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 1):
In Australia are guns as readily available to the public as they are here? (

In a nut shell, No, they are not as readily available

I also thought non-US residents would not be able to hire firearms..how did these women get hold of them?

Well...

I was at a shooting range in ATL a few years ago, and the range officer would not let me handle any firearms before I could prove I knew how to shoot..and showed him my Australian firearms license. Even after all that he kept a very close eye on me.

How did you get to shoot then if your an Australian ?

I just saw this on the morning news. The place is called "The family shooting center". How ironic !

How sad for those there and the families involved.

AR385

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:51 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 5):
Those students could not own firearms, but they could rent the ones at the range and use them under the supervision of range personnel.

In Texas, you do not need to be a citizen to own a gun. As long as you have proof of legal residence within the State. I assume that means also that you do not need to be a citizen to try it or to lease it in a range.

aa61hvy

Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 am

I thought a passport was okay. Maybe just in AZ.... I am talking a bit out of my rear as I don't shoot. I've only been to a range once.

JJJ

Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:08 am

Never heard of any fatalities occurring at any shooting range here.

I experienced an accident that was very close to be a fatality at the range I shoot. Someone was teaching his girlfriend and for some reason (the circumstances are not very clear, as they were alone on the range) he was hit.

Short story is the gun went off and the bloke had a bullet pierce through both his cheeks. A few cms higher and it would have been fatal.

Brick

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Confirmed it was a suicide pact:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/25841331/detail.html

Fair Use excert:

"Members of the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office Investigation Service Area have now met with the surviving sister, who has confirmed that they had planned to commit suicide together, and did in fact shoot themselves," the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said Thursday afternoon."Based on the physical evidence collected, the surviving sister’s statements, and video surveillance footage from the shooting center (which will not be released) the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office believes that this incident was indeed a suicide and attempted suicide."

windy95

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Here in Orlando shooting ranges are big with the foreign tourist. Especially shooting automatic weapons.

agill

Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 pm

I also thought non-US residents would not be able to hire firearms..

Well I always go to a local shooting range when I visit the states. Have been to a lot of different places. Great fun and you get to meet a lot of really friendly americans (well most americans are I guess).

Springbok747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Yeah..come to think of it..I was never told I couldn't shoot, but at the range in ATL I was not allowed to hire a firearm, but was allowed to shoot my uncle's weapon, but under close supervision.

Quoting Brick (Reply 10):
Confirmed it was a suicide pact:

Really sad to see that. I wonder why these two young women wanted to commit suicide, they seemed to have everything going for them.

NAV20

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 13):
I wonder why these two young women wanted to commit suicide, they seemed to have everything going for them.

Agree, Spingbok747 - and also suspect that we'll maybe never know.......

Must confess to being stunned by this. It's very 'local' to me:-

"It is understood the twins' South African-born parents live in Surrey Hills, Melbourne, and the twins attended the nearby exclusive Methodist Ladies' College before they both graduated with double degrees from university.

"The twins' mother and father, believed to be a former banking executive, are en route to Denver to be with their surviving daughter."

http://www.theage.com.au/world/shot-...ooting-mystery-20101119-180b3.html

Surrey Hills is a pretty prosperous suburb under ten miles north-east of where I live. The two kids involved seem to have been 'carbon copies' of my own - reasonably-prosperous parents in the professional field, good schools, university education, and no doubt plenty of sport, good holidays, trips abroad, lots of friends........

At a loss to work out how they could possibly have entered into a 'suicide pact.' Unless all of us parents in Australia are somehow 'getting it wrong' in the biggest possible way.........

[Edited 2010-11-19 04:54:21]

Quokka

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:35 pm

It is indeed sad and one wonders what caused them to enter into this pact. But it seems rather ironic that the range they chose was the "Family Shooting" Center.