STT757
Topic Author

Seattle Freeze

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I was hoping some locals could provide their own take on "Seattle Freeze", Seattle is my favorite City and I hope to someday call myself a resident. Reading about "Seattle Freeze" it does not seem to dissimilar to social nuances of NY and NJ of which I have spent my life immersed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

UH60FtRucker

RE: Seattle Freeze

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:47 pm

I absolutely love the area, but not the people.

There is just so much to do and see out here. Yesterday my wife and I brought our two boys (almost 3yrs old) out to Snowqualmie Pass and we went sledding with them. They had a blast. A few weeks before that, we went out to the Olympic Peninsula and brought the boys to the cliffs and the beaches. And a month ago my wife and I went on a "date" and spent the night in Seattle.

It's just an absolutely beautiful city, and state. But the people. I just don't know. This article hit the nail on the head: people act nice, but it's just an act.

One of my biggest complaints is the way they drive in this state. The speed limit is mostly 60mph on the western highways. But there is no respect for the "fast" "medium" and "slow" lanes. People will sit in the fast lane doing 55mph, with ample opportunity to merge into a slower lane. And when you flash your lights for them to move over, they flip you off. Or the "moving road block" is my favorite. All 3 or 4 lanes are all doing exactly the same speed of 60, and no one is passing, so traffic is backed up behind them.

Having grown up in Boston, where people are very... vocal... about their emotions, I would say that Seattle is just as mean, but they're not nearly as confrontational or vocal. The best way I could describe it... Seattle is like a passive aggressive bitch. You know the type. We've all dated a chick like that lol.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

rwsea

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Seattle is probably the most passive-aggressive city in the US. The people are polite enough, but are not friendly. Yes, there is a difference.

I lived in the Portland area, then Seattle for awhile, and can agree with everything in the article. Every good friend I met was from somewhere else. There's something about Seattle- people tend to grow up there and stay. They keep their same friends from childhood and from college. Letting people inside the circle seems to have too much "risk". In my opinion this also tends to breed a superiority complex, with many locals thinking that "it's such a desirable place, everyone wants to live here", yet many of them have never lived anywhere else themselves.

That's just the people - this doesn't even begin to explain the third-world transportation system, high cost of living, or the weather.

It's a nice enough place to visit, but I wouldn't live there again.

zanl188

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 pm

I lived in Pierce County for three years. My friends there were all out of towners and we attributed it to seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

BTW & possibly related: Did you know Pierce County had (maybe still does) the record for most appearances in COPS?
I could count on turning on COPS and seeing Pierce County Sherriffs Deputies pulling someone over down the street from my house...
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

UH60FtRucker

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Quoting rwSEA (Reply 2):
That's just the people - this doesn't even begin to explain the third-world transportation system, high cost of living, or the weather.

Having been to numerous actual third world nations... I would have to take issue with you labeling the transportation system as such.   

Although, I will say that the highway system is an absolute mess. The low speed limit, the poor driving skills combined with a highway that has awkward bends and choke points... all equal insane traffic. But the ferry system is efficient, and well scheduled. (Although I wish they had a ferry running Tacoma to Seattle). Also the bus system seems to be extensive, but truthfully I've never used it. In fact they are currently reducing the bus route system, because there is excessive overlap and extremely low ridership. And SeaTac isn't the most modern airport, but they're modern enough to handle the passenger load that passes through it.

But yeah, the highways absolutely suck. I still have my Massachusetts license places, and I proudly represent true Boston driving!

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 3):

There's a lot of problems with cops out here. I think the string of cop shootings awhile back, caused a significant shift in their mentality. Cops are far more on edge and willing to resort to force. There have been numerous recent stories about police brutality and excessive force.

Just last week there was a video of a cop kicking the shit out of some kid, and it turned out to be mistaken identity on the cop's part!

And in an example of why workers unions suck balls... the Pierce county sheriffs union was asked to forgo their contracted 5% annual pay increase for 2011, and take a pay freeze. The county is facing a budget gap, and all departments were asked to agree to the pay freeze. Only the police refused. Which tied the county's hands and they are now forced to lay off 20+ sheriffs. Seriously. F'ing idiots.

CaliAtenza

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 1):

One of my biggest complaints is the way they drive in this state. The speed limit is mostly 60mph on the western highways. But there is no respect for the "fast" "medium" and "slow" lanes. People will sit in the fast lane doing 55mph, with ample opportunity to merge into a slower lane. And when you flash your lights for them to move over, they flip you off. Or the "moving road block" is my favorite. All 3 or 4 lanes are all doing exactly the same speed of 60, and no one is passing, so traffic is backed up behind them.

whats up with people in WA driving so slow??? it makes CA seem like the Autobhan by comparison. I was up in Seattle this summer...beautiful, beautiful city...and WA truly is the "Evergreen State". Mt. Rainier was amazing! Im surprised the speed limit is so low in WA...you would think it would be at least 65 or 70.

UH60FtRucker

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 5):
whats up with people in WA driving so slow??? it makes CA seem like the Autobhan by comparison. I was up in Seattle this summer...beautiful, beautiful city...and WA truly is the "Evergreen State". Mt. Rainier was amazing! Im surprised the speed limit is so low in WA...you would think it would be at least 65 or 70.

I don't get it. I think it's because the western highways are typically operating near their max capacity? But the biggest problem is that everyone does the speed limit. lol I know that sounds like an odd complaint, but it seems like in every state the drivers are aware that the slower traffic stays to the right, while faster traffic moves in the left lanes.

...That logic simply does not apply here! 55 in the fast lane, oblivious to the line of cars following behind, is not a rare sight. And I think part of this can be attributed to the excessive police presence. You WILL get pulled over for 5+ mph over the limit. And the budget gaps mean you WILL get a hefty ticket for it. The cops have the driving populace scared shitless.

[Edited 2010-11-21 14:57:34]

CaliAtenza

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 6):

...That logic simply does not apply here! 55 in the fast lane, obvious to the line of cars following behind, is not a rare sight. And I think part of this can be attributed to the excessive police presence. You WILL get pulled over for 5+ mph over the limit. And the budget gaps mean you WILL get a hefty ticket for it. The cops have the driving populace scared shitless.

The family friend we stayed with up there..well me and my sister were riding with her son in his car and he was telling us how there are cops everywhere in WA. I noticed a bunch up there...quite a few even in Seattle itself.

UH60FtRucker

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 7):

Yeah they're all on the roads pulling people over for 5 over, but crime is on the rise. Probably because preventing and solving crime doesn't fill the state coffers, like traffic tickets do.

comorin

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:11 pm

I found the same kind of 'freeze' in San Fran, when visiting from NYC. I moved to NYC 30 years ago and love it - it is a city with a big heart.

So here's a theory: SFO and SEA are very beautiful cities but are affected by the damp and cold winds off the Pacific, which depresses the people all the time. Like ZANL188 says it might be a permanent SAD affliction. A second reason may be that the Irish and Italian immigrants bring their joi d'vivre to the Big Apple while Seattle-ites may be more 'Northern' in their ethnic make-up. Plus they drink too much coffee. And write too much code.

zanl188

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 4):
I think the string of cop shootings awhile back, caused a significant shift in their mentality.

Yeah the coffee shop shootings a while back were basically right outside my office window (and across the airfield). Drove down that street on my way home. bad deal. Are you at Ft Le.., er, Joint Base Lewis McChord?
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

UH60FtRucker

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 10):

Yup, it's a great base. My wife and I own a house and a down in the Yelm/Lacey area, with a few acres of land, and a view of Rainer.

I think it's also important to note that JBLM really puts a lot of pressure on the local road/highway network. It's literally a giant choke point between Olympia and Tacoma. In the Dupont/Nisqually area I5 is the only way to get between the two. And then with some 50,000 people living and working on the base, traffic is just insane. Luckily I can drive in through the south and avoid much of it.

bgm

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 am

Quoting rwSEA (Reply 2):
people tend to grow up there and stay. They keep their same friends from childhood and from college. Letting people inside the circle seems to have too much "risk". In my opinion this also tends to breed a superiority complex, with many locals thinking that "it's such a desirable place, everyone wants to live here", yet many of them have never lived anywhere else themselves.

This was exactly my experience in the Netherlands. It must be the weather!
OK boomer.

flyerboy1990

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am

This is very interesting. I had family that lived there for a few years, but they never said anything like this. I will have to ask them. But I have always wondered how depressing it would be to live with that weather. Honestly, even living through the winter in NE Ohio is somewhat depressing, so if it was dark, cloudy, and rainy all the time I would go nuts. Also, I guess all the techy people living there wouldn't make for the best social scene.

I have always thought Denver to be an alternative to Seattle because of the outdoor activities but without the dreary weather.
Flown in: 712, 722, 73G, 738, 752, DC10, CR2, CR9, A319, A320 Want to fly in: A330, 767, 777, MD80, E170 series

comorin

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:41 am

Quoting flyerboy1990 (Reply 13):
Honestly, even living through the winter in NE Ohio is somewhat depressing, so if it was dark, cloudy, and rainy all the time I would go nuts.

I've lived in Cleveland and I know what you mean. Great summers but once the clouds roll in around October its over. If Cleveland winters don't bother you, then you are made of sterner stuff and can live anywhere, like Antarctica, IMO.

tbar220

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:16 am

Hah, I saw the topic and assumed that you were talking about the early season snowfall that is falling in Seattle right now.
NO URLS in signature

Superfly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:22 am

I absolutely love the area, but not the people.

I agree.
I've been there 4 times and spend up to a week there and I have NEVER seen one attractive women there.
Has nothing to do with the weather either. I just don't get it.
Bring back the Concorde

UH60FtRucker

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:00 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
I've been there 4 times and spend up to a week there and I have NEVER seen one attractive women there.

Ain't that the truth. I never understood how the 'homeless' look could be so popular. It's depressing. At least it keeps me an honest man!

elmothehobo

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 am

I could not agree more with some of the comments made here. I fell in love with Seattle way back in March of 2007 when I spent the week there (more time in the Bellingham, aka 'the 'ham'). Beautiful weather in March, but man, the people were so... weird. It reminded of me of that Swiss mountain town courtesy, where you exchange a smile and a

The Seattle Freeze must have an equivalent elsewhere. If I am not mistaken, Seattle and the area around it is of heavy Nordic (or Scandinavian?) origin. Any Swedes/Norwegians/Danes/Finns care to chime in?

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 11):
Yup, it's a great base. My wife and I own a house and a down in the Yelm/Lacey area, with a few acres of land, and a view of Rainer.

My favorite part of my month at JBLM (Besides the fact that we had great weather) was getting to see Mt. Rainer, especially from the drop zones. Incredible! If I could list Fort Lewis as my duty location in all ten spots, I would. It was great to find out that 'Yelm' and 'Tenino' were real places, and not just made-up TRADOC names. 
Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 17):
Ain't that the truth. I never understood how the 'homeless' look could be so popular. It's depressing. At least it keeps me an honest man!

I met some. They were all out-of-towners.

Superfly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:36 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 17):

LOL!  
Perhaps Seattle is the only city were monogamy can actually work.

Quoting elmothehobo (Reply 18):
I met some. They were all out-of-towners.

I had a delay up in Seattle and the only cute girls were transferring from the Asiana flight from Seoul to other cities throughout the US.
Bring back the Concorde

czbbflier

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:41 am

In many ways, it's a West Coast phenomenon- if it exists in SFO.

Just to the North, Vancouver is one of the coldest, most un-sociable, passive-aggressive cities I know, sadly.

I agree with the article that it has to do partly with the Asian / Nordic distancing. However, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people come individually to Seattle, Vancouver... to live in the beauty of the environment. Anybody else getting in the way of that that experience is just that.... in the friggnin' way.

Why would I want to spend (read, waste) my time with some stranger who inevitably is going to turn out to be either a crank or an idiot. My own company, alone, is much preferable.

As for everybody huddled up in coffee shops with their computer 'chatting' online, I've often wondered if people have unknowingly chatted with others on some board who happen also to be in the same cafe?

Sad, actually. Welcome to the future.

Superfly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:47 am

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 20):
In many ways, it's a West Coast phenomenon- if it exists in SFO.
SFO does have attractive women. I lived there for 15 years, (just moved away in June).
LA does too but they're fake and really bitchy.

Chicago isn't a West Coast city and the women there look horrendous too.

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 20):
As for everybody huddled up in coffee shops with their computer 'chatting' online, I've often wondered if people have unknowingly chatted with others on some board who happen also to be in the same cafe?

That is something I don't get. I do spend a lot of time online but sitting all day in a coffee shop on a laptop while being afraid to talk to the person at the next table is really strange.

[Edited 2010-11-21 19:49:10]
Bring back the Concorde

kanban

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:01 am

whats up with people in WA driving so slow???

don't know when you were on the road, but anytime I venture to the Dark Side (that's what people across the Sound call the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett side) the traffic is moving at 70MPH unless it's stopped.. yes we have a large number that hit the brakes when the come to a crest on a bridge because they aren't sure there's anything over the crest.. kind of a flat worlder view..

OK, socially... well there are a lot of Scandinavians and we are reserved even when drunk. I lived in one place in Renton for 25 years and actually knew fewer than 10 neighbors... people keep to themselves.

Yes we (at least most natives) will do anything to assist others, however we don't want your life story... then we have this nasty influx of social touchy/feely/vocal/demanding/'got to make a difference' yahoos.... go back to NJ or where ever you came from, Please!

mham001

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:15 am

surprised the speed limit is so low in WA...you would think it would be at least 65 or 70.

Worst drivers in the west, by far. I hear Boston may be worse but I have no experience otherwise it would be worst in the country. Very true about slugs in the passing lane, and then there is the fact that they put up with the Washington State Gestap...I mean Patrol.
Its always been that way, I grew up there in the 60's and 70's.
I won't go back, can't take the weather, nor the state police attitude after living in California.

Superfly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 am

Quoting kanban (Reply 22):
this nasty influx of social touchy/feely/vocal/demanding/'got to make a difference' yahoos.... go back to NJ or where ever you came from, Please!

Those yahoos have taken over San Francisco and the state of California!
Bring back the Concorde

CaliAtenza

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:58 am

We were driving from Sea-Tac to Gig Harbor. I think I fell on love with WA as soon as the plane descended for landing  .

Superfly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:59 am

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
I was hoping some locals could provide their own take on "Seattle Freeze", Seattle is my favorite City and I hope to someday call myself a resident.

Next time you're in Seattle, get a room at this 'classy' budget hotel on Aurora Ave. N.  
I once stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn and I really liked their sunk in black marble bathtub surrounded by mirrors.
Some of their rooms have mirrors on the ceiling too.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/columbus-motor-inn-seattle
Bring back the Concorde

CaliAtenza

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 am

OK, socially... well there are a lot of Scandinavians and we are reserved even when drunk. I lived in one place in Renton for 25 years and actually knew fewer than 10 neighbors... people keep to themselves.

thing i noticed about Gig Harbor at least, was that the houses werent bunched up right next to each other or anything, kinda set back or spread apart. I didnt see any track housing anywhere or any big housing development. It kinda gave me a New England type of feeling, well at least what you see in movies about the Northeast and stuff. It was cold during the summer too  ..i had to wear socks with my flip flops, lol..i havent done that in years.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):

Chicago isn't a West Coast city and the women there look horrendous too.

or maybe cuz they are fatter cuz its colddd in Chicago?!?.

Superfly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 am

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 27):
or maybe cuz they are fatter cuz its colddd in Chicago?!?.

Weather has nothing to do with it. In fact, I'm a chubby-chaser myself.
I found the Chicago women of all sizes to be butt ugly and have a hard, tough-as-nails look to them.
There are plenty of beautiful women in colder climates such as Minnesota, Quebec, all of Scandinavia and Russia.

Just across the boarder in Vancouver, I've seen a small handful of cute girls but nothing all that impressive.
Bring back the Concorde

STT757
Topic Author

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
Next time you're in Seattle, get a room at this 'classy' budget hotel on Aurora Ave. N.
I once stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn and I really liked their sunk in black marble bathtub surrounded by mirrors.
Some of their rooms have mirrors on the ceiling too.

I prefer the Lake Union Court Yard Marriott, I had a nice view of the seaplanes across the street.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

tz757300

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Does this "Freeze" happen all over the West Coast/Northwest Area outside of Seattle? I'm probably living in Northern ID for 2 years getting my MA degree and if people don't like being sociable in public, that is one place I'd rather not be at.

But on a different note, I've noticed that larger cities in general tend to have people reserved about letting people into their lives outside of just helping them for a second. Personally, I think it may just be some sort of effect of living in a urban area since you can't be friendly with 1mil+ people in your life, but then again, I don't live in an area with a lot of people.n
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

StuckInCA

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:46 pm

I don't think it's so bad as people make it out to be. There is some truth to what is being said in the article, but having lived all up and down the west coast, I don't think it's too unusual. At first, I really did notice how much more polite people are here. Perhaps it's harder to become "in" though. Some places might have people more willing to let you "in," but there are probably more outwardly rude people as well. I've had more invitations to hikes, climbs, bike rides, skiing and beer drinking than I'd be able to accomplish in 10 times the amount of elapsed time. Maybe because I don't live in the city itself?

I dunno. It's sort of like the traffic... it (the traffic) does suck here, but not compared to San Francisco or Los Angeles.

I'm a fan.

[Edited 2010-11-22 09:47:40]

Fly2HMO

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Having grown up in Boston, where people are very... vocal... about their emotions, I would say that Seattle is just as mean, but they're not nearly as confrontational or vocal. The best way I could describe it... Seattle is like a passive aggressive bitch. You know the type. We've all dated a chick like that lol.

Reminds me of AZ so much, on both accounts.

This coming from someone born in AZ, mind you.  

QFKangaroo747

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 pm

I've never been to Seattle before, but I know exactly what this article is getting at. The interesting thing to me is that, for a non-American, it's not just Seattle folk that are like this, but all Americans. I'm an Australian living in the US, and I have always noticed that while Americans are generally a very friendly people, they rarely want to be your friend. There is a big difference!

Now, please don't get me wrong. I love America and it's people, this is just something that I have observed over the last 8 years and it actually fascinates me. So it is interesting for me to read about how Americans themselves perceive this phenomenon as it exists between different regions of the country.

I have noticed that one bothersome byproduct of this American 'artificial super-friendliness' is that Americans tend to have a bad habit of making promises that they cannot, or simply have no intention of actually delivering on. "You're welcome to stay at my place if you're ever in town....," "If you ever need a job, just let me know and I'll hook you up in no time," and countless other such statements are so oft heard as they roll without though from an American tongue, but it's all just empty words and promises. This is more than likely due to the fact that for a generation or more, Americans have lived in a society where they were promised a dream, but that American Dream is now more elusive than ever. Shattered promises and unrealised dreams are contagious.

So, hey, maybe the good residents of Seattle are actually so progressive and honest that they are only doing what is right. Maybe they just don't want to promise what they know they can't deliver.

YVRLTN

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:19 am

All of this applies to Vancouver too. People are nice and chatty on the outside, but as an immigrant looking to make new friends, forget it. Good acquaintances who are prepared to be sociable seems to be as good as it gets.

This bit isnt true about YVR though...

I've been there 4 times and spend up to a week there and I have NEVER seen one attractive women there
Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
Just across the boarder in Vancouver, I've seen a small handful of cute girls but nothing all that impressive.

Then you didnt stay long enough   Summer here is amazing. However, I am told that nothing compares to Montreal!
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Superfly

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:50 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 34):
Then you didnt stay long enough Summer here is amazing.

Both of my trips to Vancouver were in the winter so I'll take your word for it. By the way your city is absolutely gorgeous!

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 34):
I am told that nothing compares to Montreal!

Definitely one of the best cities in North America in terms of meeting good looking women.
Bring back the Concorde

F9Animal

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:54 am

whats up with people in WA driving so slow???
Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 6):
But the biggest problem is that everyone does the speed limit.

I was coming home about a week ago. This car was riding my ass, so I stepped on the gas. Next thing I know, I am getting pulled over by the car that was tailgating me. Washington State Patrol. 78 in a 55. And good luck telling the trooper that I was pissed at him for tailgating me, as I was in the middle of nowhere, and it was in the middle of the night. Which might help explain why everyone does the speed limit.
I Am A Different Animal!!

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:25 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 36):

I had a very similar experience a few months ago. I was doing some liaison work up in Everett with the Navy, and they had a big function, so I was driving home around 1am. I was in the middle lane on a 3 lane stretch of I5, south of Seattle. I had my cruise set to 69 mph in my F-150 truck. This car comes flying up behind me and gets on my ass. He moves slightly to the left to put is headlight beam into my side mirror.

He doesn't pass me in the fast lane, and sticks on me for a few miles with his light in my mirror. When I drift to the left to get the light out of the mirror, he pulled me over. "I was drifting and weaving. Was I drunk? Also I was speeding 9 over."

I lost my cool and my professionalism. I actually got out of the vehicle. I'm 6ft and he was probably 5'3 and in no uncertain terms did I explain how little humor I found in his cheap tricks.

Honestly, I think the only saved me was that I was in my dress uniform. Otherwise, I'm sure he would have claimed I was "coming right at him", tased me, and hauled me to jail. F*cking prick.

aznmadsci

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm

I think all humanity goes out the window when they step into a Costco, especially the one in Kirkland!!! Talk about cart rage from 80 yr old grannies!!!!! One wanted to run over my little nephew who was holding my hand screaming on top of her lungs (if she had any) "Get that f-ing kid out of my way!"

Other than stepping into that place, I love it up there and wish I was heading up their this Thanksgiving!!!
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

Drewski2112

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:20 am

Remember now, a large influx of Californians moved to the Seattle area during the mid 90's. People have long said that's when Seattle started it's down hill decline. Ballard use to have a huge Scandinavian population and now it's a bunch of yuppies kicking out the old farts who drive slow and drool. Uff da.

I do agree our driving skills suck. Suck bad. But keep in mind very few motorways have the curves, hills and just oddball set ups like Seattle does. For such a far left city and state, I'm really surprised we don't have good public transportation. The light rail from SEA to downtown is a joke. Metro buses are okay, but not good. Bike lanes seem to be the only real transportation policy the City and Mayor seems to have, but that's another discussion...

As a local, still a bit young, I've been to all four corners of the US and in between. There's absolutely no where in the country I'd rather live than in the Seattle region. Before I started spotting, there were times during the summer where I actually get sick of the sun and wanted the clouds to roll in. Overcast and 45F degrees is just right for this local  

Type-Rated

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:08 am

Maybe a lot of people in Seattle are overly self involved? Good article in the link.

I find Dallas people to have this kind of reserve when compared to people in Houston. They just aren't that friendly.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Superfly

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:16 am

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 38):
Talk about cart rage from 80 yr old grannies!!!!! One wanted to run over my little nephew who was holding my hand screaming on top of her lungs (if she had any) "Get that f-ing kid out of my way!"

She could have been running to the bathroom.
Bring back the Concorde

ScarletHarlot

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:38 am

HEY!!!!!!!!!!  

I don't know, I consider myself a friendly person, and I think the people here are just right. I have made lots of good friends here, at work (when I worked in an office here) and, notably, at the curling club. At the club it is my job to welcome people and introduce them to our club and our sport. I love this, and have made tons of friends at the club by doing so.

I guess, on the other hand, I enjoy solitude time and I enjoy having my life come into contact with others', but then being able to retreat.

I have neighbours that I have lived across the street from for 10 years, and I have never met them.

We have other neighbours that we consider some of our best friends. We talk to each other every time we see each other, and have them over from time to time and they take care of our cats when we go out of town. Every once in a while we realize that they very rarely invite us over - but we don't really worry about that. They always eagerly accept when we invite them over, and we have fun, so we figure they are just more reserved than us. And they're locals. Hm.

I think there is some truth to the article, but that you can make and keep friends here if you're friendly but not pushy.
But that was when I ruled the world

Superfly

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:36 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 42):
HEY!!!!!!!!!!

Well I didn't see you on any of those trips.  
Since you're married, I didn't factor you in to my observation.
You are adorable!  
Bring back the Concorde

cpd

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:21 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 37):
I lost my cool and my professionalism. I actually got out of the vehicle. I'm 6ft and he was probably 5'3 and in no uncertain terms did I explain how little humor I found in his cheap tricks.

Honestly, I think the only saved me was that I was in my dress uniform. Otherwise, I'm sure he would have claimed I was "coming right at him", tased me, and hauled me to jail. F*cking prick.

You should have a video camera set up for those Police that do that. They have video cameras in their cars to record everything, we should do the same - and then if they play up, send the video to the mass media for all to see. I'm sure the dirty tricks will stop pretty quickly.

Good on you for telling the guy off - he might think twice about it next time. It's not the first time I've heard about that happening, and won't be the last either.

[Edited 2010-11-24 21:22:24]

dxing

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:49 pm

Quoting tbar220 (Reply 15):
Hah, I saw the topic and assumed that you were talking about the early season snowfall that is falling in Seattle right now.

I thought the same thing. You wouldn't think a little snow could disrupt an airport located in the NW so badly.

Quoting comorin (Reply 14):
I've lived in Cleveland and I know what you mean

Having grown up in Cleveland I know what he means. February to April are the most depressing months of the year there. If you are not into snow sports you get to be real good at bowling.

I think this "freeze" is not just a Seattle thing although I will agree it has its own variation. The deep south is, on the whole, a pretty friendly place but you can hit pockets where "you ain't from around here are you boy" still exists and people will just as soon ignore you if they can.

Of course the Seattle area has given us probably more than its fair share of serial killers too has it not?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Superfly

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 45):
Of course the Seattle area has given us probably more than its fair share of serial killers too has it not?

I thought that was Florida.
Bring back the Concorde

dxing

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:46 pm

Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

aznmadsci

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:45 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
She could have been running to the bathroom.

More like eating all of the free samples.
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

Superfly

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:02 am

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 48):
More like eating all of the free samples.

Thus the needing to run to the restroom after.  
Probably sampled a prune by accident.
Bring back the Concorde