Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gkirk

RE: Cricket - The Ashes, Australia V. England, 2010

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Ok, whats with this English spriinkler dance?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

CPH-R

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:54 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 144):
To my mind it seems pretty likely that, as soon as the surgeon has finished with him, the selectors will creep up behind him with that stiletto that Richie Benaud mentioned.

It would make sense to do it now. Looking at the future tours programme (which should be digested with a giant dose of salt, I know) the next test series for Australia is a tour of Bangladesh, which would be an opportune time to slot in a new captaincy against a nice and soft opponent unlike to cause much trouble.

Of course, the FTP is usually tossed out the window within months of it being laid out, so for all I know the next tour might well be of Sri Lanka instead  
Quoting gkirk (Reply 150):

Been so long since the English won anything useful away, they forgot what to do.

f4phantom

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 151):

It symbolic of the English pissing all over Australian cricket

On a serious note my wife and I love spending time in Australia, we love the country and if the exchange rate returns to our favour we will probably be visiting next xmas time. I have enjoyed skydiving with my 14 year old daughter in wollongong and climbed the Sydney bridge, as well as seeing Koalas in the wild on Raymond Island and drinking with locals down the Rocks. England have been slated by the Aussies for many years, so yes, too true we enjoy and relish our victory at this time.
Happy New year to our Australian friends, and keep practising at the stumps.

qantasforever2

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 150):

Couldn't agree more, GKirk.

Lovely to see you again, buddy.  

gkirk

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 153):
Lovely to see you again, buddy.

Wow!  Wow!

WrenchBender

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Quoting qantasforever2 (Reply 139):
Oh, it's good to be back,

QFF

Welcome back QFF,
looooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg time no hear from.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

qantasforever2

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:07 am

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 155):
Welcome back QFF,
looooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg time no hear from.

Thanks buddy - been about 3 years.

Hopefully a return to the good 'ole days. Where's Jafa?

gkirk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:48 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 156):
Hopefully a return to the good 'ole days. Where's Jafa?

Probably deleted/banned/gone elsewhere.

A lot of people have been driven out of this place, it's nowhere near as good as it once was. I hardly post here now either

qantasforever2

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:19 am

Still, nice to see one of the old guard. I joined in April 2001 originally, almost 10 years ago now. Unbelievable.

/Off-topic.

David_itl

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:25 am

Beer is also making his debut for Australia with Bollinger being the 12th man. Still intrigued as to what England will do - Flintoff's said he'd drop Collingwood in favour of Morgan.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 am

Apparently Beer has never even BEEN to the SCG before, leave alone bowled on it. I think we all have to wish him some luck, it's a big 'ask' for him.

Quoting david_itl (Reply 159):
Flintoff's said he'd drop Collingwood in favour of Morgan.

Let's hope Colly gets a fifty or two and shuts his critics up for a while. We can be pretty certain that his fielding and bowling will be pretty 'memorable' on the 'English-style' Sydney pitch, anyway. Apart from anything else, it occurs to me that he's also the reserve wicket-keeper; a job he's performed pretty well on occasion. Anyone know whether anyone else in the England lineup can keep at test level if Prior gets injured?

Weather forecast is interesting - possible rain forecast for all five days, the 'probability' ranging from 80% on the first day to 10% on the second. But only relatively small amounts. Scroll down for the seven-day forecast:-

http://weather.theaustralian.com.au/nsw/sydney/sydney
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

David_itl

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 pm

England unchanged. Australia win toss and bat. Wame gives Beer his cap and Mark Taylor does the same for Khawaja

signol

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:03 am

Australia at 55/1 at lunch.

As an aside, it seems an internet campaign, sponsored by Qantas, to bring American babysitter Ashey Kerekes, to Sydney has succeeded. She was the girl with the twitter name "theashes" who went from 300 followers to 13500 cricket fans asking her the score...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/as...stmas/story-e6frfro0-1225975313492
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/...ream-continues-20101230-19b4b.html

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

signol

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:48 am

Rain stops play, with Australia at 134/4.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

scbriml

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 163):
Rain stops play, with Australia at 134/4.

I watched the first session last night and thought it was good, old-fashioned Test cricket. A real battle between bat and ball.

Not too bad a score for Australia in somewhat bowler-friendly conditions. However, Hughes, Watson and Khawaja all guilty of giving away their wickets after they'd done the hard part and got themselves established. Clarke looks like he can't buy a run at the moment.

England will be looking for early wickets tomorrow, but with Hussey and Haddin at the crease, it could be a great battle.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NAV20
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 164):
England will be looking for early wickets tomorrow, but with Hussey and Haddin at the crease, it could be a great battle.

Turned out to be just that, scbriml. England were well on top at first but the Aussie bowlers (Johnson AND Hilfenhaus) played that 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card again and Oz finished on 280. England were on 167/3 at the close. The increased scoring rates of both sides seem to have been at least partly due to the fact that the low cloud moved on and the sun even came out at intervals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/engli...s/2011/01/85865/html/scorecard.stm

So, once again, both sides have everything to play for. A steady batting performance for a couple of hours and England can start building a lead; a couple of quick wickets and Australia can begin hoping for a lead of their own.

Next man in for England is my NE-England 'mate,' Collingwood. Not my idea, but they've left Bell at six. Collingwood's already contributed the 'priceless' wicket of Hussey and a couple of good catches (Hughes and Smith). My personal hope tomorrow is that he 're-discovers' his batting and helps England build a good first-innings lead.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

scbriml

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 165):
Oz finished on 280.

Yes, a disappointing total from an England perspective. The bowlers seemed to 'turn off' (and bowled much shorter) once they got to the tail. I think Strauss must be partly to blame for not getting them back on track sooner. A finely balanced Test at this point, both teams with a lot to play for. Which players are going to stand up and be counted?

Almost like proper Test cricket after the last 3 one-sided games.   
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

CPH-R

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:49 pm

On the subject of Test cricket, but away from the bumpy road that is The Ashes, you've got to feel sorry for Steyn on this occasion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s93XgGOIyUQ

:D

NAV20
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:05 am

First session to England, thanks very largely to Alistair Cook. What incredible stamina the man has. England vrtually level (277) with only five wickets down (maybe four in 'real terms' since one of them was the 'nightwatchman'). Pleased that the left-arm spinner, Beer, got his first (richly-deserved) test wicket; just a pity that his victim was my other protege', Collingwood.  

The next couple of sessions will be crucial ones. Australia need quick wickets - and have a good chance of getting them, having just taken the second new ball. On the other hand, the sun's shining, the pitch isn't doing much, and England have the opportunity to bat Australia out of contention.

Possibly interesting oddment I came across. Trott needs a good score next innings; for the reason that before this match he held the second highest test batting average of all time (64.00, the only player having a better one being Don Bradman on 99.94. By my reckoning that duck dropped Trott's average to 61.54. He's still just ahead of number three on the list, Graeme Pollock (60.97), but he'll need a solid score next time to hold on to second place.

http://www.sport-seen.com/Test/teshome.htm

scbriml

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 168):
First session to England, thanks very largely to Alistair Cook

And the second, thanks largely to Cook and Bell. Oh, and the third, thanks largely to Bell and Prior. Very happy for Bell (regardless of a caught behind controversy), who's been in the form of his life and, in hindsight, should probably have been batting higher up the order.

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 168):
Beer, got his first (richly-deserved) test wicket; just a pity that his victim was my other protege', Collingwood.

I believe he'll retire from Test cricket after this game. Collingwood, that is.

Other than their difficulty with cleaning up Australia's tail on the 2nd day, this game has, so far, been dominated by England. 200 ahead with two full days to go, England should continue to bat until they're all out - first task is to try and make sure the Aussies can't possibly win.

Best case for England - Prior, Bresnan, Swann and Tremlett bat through to lunch. If they manage that, England's lead should be around 300. Australia would take to around lunch on the last day to level the scores. Two sessions left to try and force a result - tricky declaration decision for Clarke. Would he see any honour in playing for a draw when 2-1 down in the series?

Worst case for England - Aussies take 3 quick wickets, England's lead say 220. Australia take until lunch on last day to score 420 to set England 200 to win and give themselves 2 sessions to try and take 10 wickets. Could go any way, but England should be able to manage a draw at worst.

First session tomorrow will be interesting. Again!

f4phantom

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm

ICC investigating claims of irregular betting activity on the final ashes test in Sydney.

Apparently, someone put a bet on Australia to win, good grief how irregular is that.

f4phantom

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Fancy dress, you have got to admire all those loyal australian cricket fans turning up to the Sydney test wearing fancy dress. Everyone is dressed the same, as a plastic seat.

On a separate note the Aussie police have opened a missing persons investigation, where have all those Aussie cricket fans gone.

sunny day supporters

David_itl

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 169):
Very happy for Bell (regardless of a caught behind controversy),

We all heard the snick. We all saw nothing on hotspot. Therein lies the problem using this technology to override umpiring decisions that appear logical as it was just a slight edge that would not register.

More of a problem is the catch the Phil Hughes "caught". I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he knew he got it on the half volley. But Brad Haddin should have piped up to say no catch - he would have had just as good a view as Alistair Cook.

scbriml

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 172):
More of a problem is the catch the Phil Hughes "caught".

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Having just watched it again, his "appeal" (if he did actually appeal) was very weak. He certainly appeared to be questioning whether or not it carried. It was only when some other Aussie players surrounded him that he seemed to be more comfortable. Cook certainly seemed to defend Hughes and hasn't made a fuss about it at all. That's good enough for me.

David_itl

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 pm

As was expected, Collingwood's quitting Test cricket at the end of this match. Step up to the plate Eoin Morgan!

David_itl

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:33 am

Lunch score... England 636-9 with Prior also scoring a century.

CPH-R

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 am

In other words, barring a new years miracle, the English will get to do yet another sprinkler dance. And Punter will get the stiletto.

At least the Cape Town test still hangs in the balance. India have never drawn or won a series in South Africa, and with a target of 340 to reach on Day 5 on a treacherous pitch, at least the latter seems a bit far fetched. But they can draw the game (and the series), and it'll be up to Steyn and Morkel to deny them that. At least the first hour or so tomorrow will be a nailbiter, especially if Steyn can find his rhytm from Indias first innings - and if Morkel can back him up with some nasty bounce.

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:51 am

Not the first time that Strauss (through an excellent team performance) has been able to 'let the game run its course,' rather than messing about timing a declaration. All the signs are that the last two will come out again after lunch; not just in order to drag Aussie morale even further down but also to improve on 636 - which happens to be the highest score ever achieved by England at the SCG, way back in 1928/9.

England's lead is now 356. The highlight of this session was clearly Prior's century, but Bresnan, Swann, and Tremlett also made great contributions. Short of a miracle, Australia appear to have only one sensible option available to them; to try to bat out the best part of five whole sessions and keep the series loss down to 2:1 rather than 3:1. But they MAY decide to swing the bat and 'go for it' - although that's likely to mean them failing even to get to 356-plus.

Collingwood has said that he'll continue playing one-dayers and 20/20s. Sorry to see him retire from test cricket. Worth remembering that even in this match, he 'made his mark' by dismissing Hussey for a low score.

scbriml

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:54 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 169):
Best case for England

Well, even better than my best case! England a massive 636-9 at lunch. Prior 118, Bresnan 35, Swann 33*.

England lead by 356 with 5 sesions to play. No way for Australia to win now, but can they survive to scape a draw form a game where they've been completely outplayed?

f4phantom

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 am

Total carnage and absolute humiliation for the Australian cricket team. They should think about changing their colours to white, the colour of surrender. Completely battered and demoralised in this last test. It will affect the aussies for years to come, and i have to say what a difference that useless imbecile Clarke has made, bring back Ponting at least his defeats were not as big.

keep practising boys

qantasforever2

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 am

f4phantom -

What an atrocious winner you are. The behaviour of the English fans just confirms the wider reputation England has in this country anyway. I shouldn't be surprised!

scbriml

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 180):
What an atrocious winner you are.

Rudyard Kipling comes to mind.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

England is on the verge of completeing a truly astonishing performance 'down under'. The margin of victory unimaginable by even the biggest of optimists (i.e. me!) I will be watching again tonight (I'm SO tired!) and hoping not to have to wait too long to crack open a bottle of bubbly.   

qantasforever2

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:35 pm

scbriml - Congratulations to the English team on a job very well done.

I hope the fans continue to enjoy their stay in a country they have been ridiculing and systematically offending for the past few weeks.

f4phantom

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 pm

I am looking forward to getting back into a usual sleeping pattern

fruitbat

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 am

00:52 - Australia 275/9......

......just one more to go.......

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

fruitbat

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:08 am

Australia all out for 281, England win by an innings and a few runs 

England win the series 3-1, the first win in Australia for 24 years!

Brilliant result, credit to the team and all the backroom staff - a fabulous series from an England point of view, meticulously planned and executed!

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 182):
I hope the fans continue to enjoy their stay in a country they have been ridiculing and systematically offending for the past few weeks.

Sorry you've been offended. It's meant to be tongue in cheek but I must admit some of the Barmy Army song lyrics are a bit close to the bone; they are cricket fans though and when respect is due they give it (see the standing ovations for Shane Warne in 2005, and Ponting in 2009).
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

scbriml

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:04 am

Congratulations to England. After so much pain, for so long, this is a very sweet moment.   

If I'd written this before the series started, it would have been filed under "Fantasy fiction". Australians would probably now file it under "Horror".

The bare numbers
Series: Australia 1 - 3 England
Runs scored: 2,631 (10 innings) - 2,864 (7 innings)
Wickets taken: 56 - 91
Average innings score: 263-9 - 409-8

The batting analysis - England
All too easy.
Collingwood the only batting failure.
England passed 500 four times and reached 600 twice.
England posted their highest and 3rd highest scores in Australia, ever.
Six different England batsmen scored centuries.
England batsmen scored nine centuries in total.
England only batted twice in two out of five Tests.
2,864 runs scored for the loss of 56 wickets (51.1 runs/wicket)

The batting analysis - Australia
Simply not good enough.
Too many failures.
Too many starts not going on to make big scores.
Australia passed 300 three times (only just on two occasions) and 400 once.
Only two Australian batsmen scored tons.
Australia only scored three tons in total.
2,631 runs scored for the loss of 91 wickets (28.9 r/w)

The bowling analysis - England
Bowled very well as a unit in all but one innings.
Bowled Australia out every time except for the 2nd, one-session innings of the 1st Test.
All the bowlers took their share of wickets (except for the injured Broad).
Backup bowlers came into the team and performed.
Only dominated by one partnership in 1st Test, otherwise always looked threatening.

The bowling analysis - Australia
With the notable exception of Perth, didn't bowl as a unit.
Didn't take anywhere near enough wickets.
Only took 56 wickets in the series.
Only took 20 wickets in a match once.
Only took 36 wickets in the four Tests they didn't win.
Only took 25 wickets in the three Tests they lost.
Unable to maintain pressure on England's batsmen (Perth excepted).
No spinner worthy of a place.

Other comments.
Did Australia shoot themselves in the foot by trying to prepare wickets that negated Swann (seen as England's biggest bowling threat before the series started), but ended up playing into the hands of Anderson, Tremlett, Finn & Bresnan?
Confused team selections by Australia. What exactly was Smith in the team for? Dropping players, then recalling them. Persisting with players who were clearly out of form.
Australia (Watson to be precise) gifted England with an early wicket three times due to run-outs.

The stats:

Australia batting
Hussey 570 @ 63.33
Watson 435 @ 48.33
Haddin 360 @ 45.00
Smith 159 @ 31.80

Australia bowling
Johnson 15 @ 36.93
Siddle 14 @ 34.57
Harris 11 @ 25.55
Hilfenhaus 7 @ 59.29

England batting
Cook 766 @ 127.67
Trott 445 @ 89.00
Bell 329 @ 65.80
Pietersen 360 @ 60.00
Prior 252 @ 50.40

England bowling
Anderson 24 @ 26.04
Tremlett 17 @ 23.35
Swann 15 @ 39.80
Finn 14 @ 33.14
Bresnan 11 @ 19.55

[Edited 2011-01-06 18:10:54]

NAV20
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:14 am

Good analysis, scrimbl, thanks.

Agree that the contrasts between the selection policies of the two sides stood out starkly. In terms of batsmen, England kept faith with a number of the players who got themselves towsed 5-nil in the 2006/7 series, and with the benefit of their greater experience nowadays, they all came good this time. In the bowling department ALL their selections came good - I thought at the time that the loss of Broad might overturn the 'only four specialist bowlers' strategy, but the policy won through - and even enlarged the manpower pool, with both Tremlett and Bresnan coming good.

As you say, Australia, by contrast, 'chopped and changed.' The policy of selecting almost totally-inexperienced youngsters to replace people like Ponting still seems inexplicable. It looks as if, even though they were playing at home, the Australian management had not assembled a 'reserve pool' of anything like the quality of England's. The batting collapses will undoubtedly mainly have been due to England's excellent bowling, but on the bowling side there was a feeling of 'sameness' about Australia's pace attack (except for Johnson, where the 'difference' was not always in Australia's favour  ). And (as you imply, possibly as a result of a 'pitch policy') the Aussie selectors just about ignored the spin department until it was too late. The loss of Harris (who pretty ably filled the 'Bresnan role' for Australia) didn't help one bit.

I think that there is a significance in the fact that both Ponting and Clarke have now 'packed in' one-dayers and 20/20s to concentrate on tests. A very high proportion of the Australian test squad also play a lot of 'hit and giggle' stuff, and the retirements of these two from it may signal their feeling that it is beginning to affect their playing techniques in 'proper cricket.'

Anyway, I don't think anyone on either side of the contest could deny that 'the best team won' in this case. And I have no doubt in my mind that Australian cricket will learn lessons from it, and that therefore Australia will give England a much harder task next time.

qantasforever2

Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:34 am

Quoting fruitbat (Reply 185):
Sorry you've been offended. It's meant to be tongue in cheek but I must admit some of the Barmy Army song lyrics are a bit close to the bone

Not close to the bone at all, just deliberately unpleasant. It's a definite point of difference between the English and Australian characters this organised mass-bullying. Watching footage on TV today of some of these 'songs' and the general behaviour made me wonder why they're here in the first place if we're such a dump? We're just two very different countries and two very different groups of people.

I remember one example. An English friend of mine living in Sydney at the time Michael Jackson died, said that he noticed that the first instinct of his Australian friends was an outpouring of condolences, whereas with the English it was a race to see who could out-do each other with the best joke.

This sort of stuff happens when two very different nations of people come together. Doesn't mean I have to like it, or retaliate. I'll do neither.

QFF

f4phantom

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:01 am

The Australian nightmare is finally over, a humiliated team , total disgrace and embarassment.

How apt and approriate that during the final over the English trumpeter in the crowd played the Last Post, symbolising
the carrion of the Aussie boys game.

The England support throughout the series has been incredible, always turning up in force and supporting the team, the same cannot be said for the home fans, no excuses, no lame stories about transport and burger vans.

there is a corner of the MCG and the SCG that is forever England.

The Australians are more than happy to dish out the sledging and banter, but they do not like it up em.

Perhaps the Australians should consider playing other nations to help rebuild their game and regain confidence, maybe teams like the over 60s sunday choir XI or the local creche after they have finished the colouring in.

7 ODI to come, what a waste of time, England are ready for home and a heroes welcome.

Keep practising boys

Bongodog1964

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 188):
Quoting fruitbat (Reply 185):
Sorry you've been offended. It's meant to be tongue in cheek but I must admit some of the Barmy Army song lyrics are a bit close to the bone

Not close to the bone at all, just deliberately unpleasant. It's a definite point of difference between the English and Australian characters this organised mass-bullying. Watching footage on TV today of some of these 'songs' and the general behaviour made me wonder why they're here in the first place if we're such a dump? We're just two very different countries and two very different groups of people.

There's a great history to mall this, much of the sledging and rowdy behaviour was either originated or perfected on the Australian side. Past Austrlian players were masters of the destructive comment, and the spectators on the Hill at Sydney appeared to have little or no interest in the cricket, being mainly there for the drinking and dishing out of insults. Us English have had to take it for decades, the phrase "whinging pom" being always close at hand. In addition we had to endure endless humiliations on the pitch.

Now the England fans have plenty to shout about and they are looking for 25 years of revenge in one big lump.

As to us being two very different groups of people, many English feel very happy to live in Australia, and many young Australians feel very welome in the UK, indeed some never go back home. I have never found any serious animosity between us.

After all the only difference between us is that my great great great great grandfather could afford to buy a loaf of bread, and yours couldn't.   

NAV20
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Not close to the bone at all, just deliberately unpleasant.
Quoting f4phantom (Reply 189):
The Australian nightmare is finally over, a humiliated team , total disgrace and embarassment.
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 190):
much of the sledging and rowdy behaviour was either originated or perfected on the Australian side.

'I say, steady on'
, you guys. As far as I'm concerned it was a great, thoroughly-absorbing series, played in a sporting spirit by both sides. And, as I've said, 'the best side won;' but that doesn't imply any sort of 'national superiority' either way.

As to us being two very different groups of people, many English feel very happy to live in Australia, and many young Australians feel very welcome in the UK

That's the whole truth of it, IMO. The two nations have a great deal more in common than most countries of the world.

[Edited 2011-01-07 04:44:46]

f4phantom

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 pm

I have respect for the Australian team, they play the game in an honest way, unlike the Pakistanis who have clearly influenced how the game can be tainted by cheating for financial gain.

I love Australia it is a wonderful country, we are always made to feel welcome when we visit
But what is sport without the competitive edge, bragging rights and good humoured banter.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them,
Black armbands all round
National day of mourning announced.

See you all at the Rugby World Cup, oops i nearly forgot, England beat Australia in the final of that In Sydney as well.

Surely Australia will win something

Bongodog1964

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting f4phantom (Reply 192):

Surely Australia will win something

They should be ok with Aussie rules football, on the basis that no one else plays it   

f4phantom

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 pm

The Australians will all be getting up around now hoping that it was all a bad dream,,,well,Shane, Sheila, Kylie and Bruce it was your worst nighmare

qantasforever2

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:45 am

There's a great history to mall this, much of the sledging and rowdy behaviour was either originated or perfected on the Australian side.

Not like this, NOTHING like the barmy army has come from the Australian side, to suggest otherwise is hyperbole. Every year it gets a little bit nastier, why should Australia subject to a yearly bout of these insults? It's got nothing to do with cricket, and everything to do with the psyche of the English. They feel this need to subjugate Australia, they have absolutely no respect for us or anything we've ever done or stood for. A lot of people in this country are tired of it. Why is it that we're able to play sport competitively and with dignity with every other country in the world, but when it comes to England you have to go for the jugular and we have to take it? Tell me, please, name ANY song sung by an organised group of Australians at the cricket that somehow insults the English as a nation of people? Name one.

As to us being two very different groups of people, many English feel very happy to live in Australia, and many young Australians feel very welome in the UK, indeed some never go back home. I have never found any serious animosity between us.

Such a misconception. We are two incredibly distant countries, and although we share a common language, we have far more in common with a country like the United States, than we do with the UK. I've found serious animosity, I've heard the English say some disgusting things about my country, I've seen things on British TV about Australia that make me squirm they're either so out of date, misinformed, or just insulting. You have a problem with Australia, I don't pretend to fully understand why.

After all the only difference between us is that my great great great great grandfather could afford to buy a loaf of bread, and yours couldn't.

My great great great great great grandfather was aboriginal. If it were permitted I would be throwing an expletive in place of that animated tomato. Your lot didn't quite manage to kill us all, you know.

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 191):
And, as I've said, 'the best side won;' but that doesn't imply any sort of 'national superiority' either way.
Quoting f4phantom (Reply 192):
love Australia it is a wonderful country, we are always made to feel welcome when we visit
But what is sport without the competitive edge, bragging rights and good humoured banter.

Competitive edge apart (who says that's a bad thing, but sport without bragging and banter is the Olympic Games (and most other sporting events internationally).

You think barmy army behaviour will be tolerated in 2012? I'd like to see them try.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:03 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 195):
You think barmy army behaviour will be tolerated in 2012? I'd like to see them try.

Perhaps they're taking their inspiration from this (Australian) guy?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cri...game/2008/12/07/1228584656497.html

And I think you'll find that they'll be back, and still going strong, next time. If only because the Cricket Australia Travel Office is doing everything it can to promote Barmy Army membership, organise travel, help find accommodation etc.:-

http://www.crickettraveloffice.com.au/Barmy/privacy.asp

That makes entire sense - since Cricket Australia and the grounds get the benefit of up to 12,000 five-day ticket sales at each of the five grounds.

qantasforever2

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 196):
Perhaps they're taking their inspiration from this (Australian) guy?

A lone bronze statue? Even the man who inspired it kept his comments focused on the players, not on the country he's sitting in.

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 196):
And I think you'll find that they'll be back, and still going strong, next time.

I have no doubt they will. It's intoxicating, that kind of behaviour, and people are often seduced by it, en masse. And people will make money out of it. It's a cycle on repeat, again - doesn't mean I and others have to like it. It's nasty.

CXB77L

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:51 am

I think you're overreacting. We have had the wood over the English for so long, so why not let them have all the glory this time? They won. We've dished it out just as much in past Ashes campaigns, so I don't see any reason why you'd get upset when we're on the receiving end of some banter. It's all harmless fun. And, with respect, if you found Rule Britannia and Swing Low Sweet Chariot insulting, then build a bridge and get over it.

I remember one example. An English friend of mine living in Sydney at the time Michael Jackson died, said that he noticed that the first instinct of his Australian friends was an outpouring of condolences, whereas with the English it was a race to see who could out-do each other with the best joke.

This is hardly a good example, and has nothing to do whatsoever with the relationship between the two countries. Ever since Australia and England played against each other, there has been a very intense rivalry between the two nations. We've dished it out before, now we must cop it on the chin and move on. Stop whinging about it, because it won't do any good.

Past Austrlian players were masters of the destructive comment, and the spectators on the Hill at Sydney appeared to have little or no interest in the cricket, being mainly there for the drinking and dishing out of insults. Us English have had to take it for decades, the phrase "whinging pom" being always close at hand. In addition we had to endure endless humiliations on the pitch.

Now the England fans have plenty to shout about and they are looking for 25 years of revenge in one big lump.

That's exactly the way I look at it. I refuse to believe that we can't take a bit of banter when we're on the receiving end. Let them have their moment, and don't take it personally. The Australian cricket team is in need of serious soul searching and restructuring. We've lost our ranking as the number 1 Test nation in the world, and what we must be doing is focussing on how to regain top spot. We don't have time to be insulted.

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 195):
Competitive edge apart (who says that's a bad thing, but sport without bragging and banter is the Olympic Games (and most other sporting events internationally).

Olympic Games is free of bragging and banter? Seriously? Do you not realise just how intense the rivalry between Canada and the United States in Ice Hockey is? To Canadians, winning the gold in hockey is everything, beating the US in the final makes it doubly sweet. I certainly disagree with the 'most other sporting events internationally' bit. The World Cup - be it football (soccer) or rugby, certainly has elements of bragging rights included in winning the World Cup. In fact, I'd say the reverse is true - in most international sporting events, bragging rights comes with the territory.

Now, it's the English that have the bragging rights, at least until the next Ashes series, although I dare say it wouldn't be much different given that our cricket team isn't really what it once was anymore. Unless we can convince Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne to come out of retirement ...
Boeing 777 fanboy

scbriml

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:40 am

The future of Australian cricket is..... KFC?   

If Robert Craddock is correct in this article, Australia may not hold the Ashes again for a long time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/th...icket/story-fn67wltq-1225983856485

Quote:
Next season, Australia's priority will be a revamped KFC Big Bash featuring eight city-based teams from around Australia..... You can't be a KFC outlet and fine dining experience at the same time. But Australia knows which way it is going.