Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scbriml

RE: Cricket - The Ashes, Australia V. England, 2010

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 am

Dean Jones calls for Steve Waugh to coach Australia

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/th...-says/story-fn67w6pa-1225983735727

Quote:
Jones said Australia needed to draw on its former greats to restore it as a cricket power and said this summer's Ashes humiliation should bring down the curtain on a system that had provided the wrong coaches.

Jones, a 52-Test veteran, said Cricket Australia needed to pay the necessary money to attact former greats into coaching roles, instead of seeing them lost to better offers overseas or in the media.

"It's time for Steve Waugh to coach the team and to get Cricket Australia to start employing blokes who have played a bit of international cricket," Jones said.

But it doesn't sound as though he's interested in the role.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...steve/story-e6frey50-1225984019926

Quote:
"My name generally comes up when there's a coaching role. I think I must be on a list that they go to,'' Waugh said on Saturday.

"I love Australian cricket. I want to see it be successful but my value is more of a mentor. I'm very busy with my philanthropic work and business and family and you can't do everything.

Heads in the sand?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...risis/story-e6frg7rx-1225983934862

Quote:
Clarke denied there was a crisis in Australian cricket, but admitted things were bad. "This is probably as close to rock bottom as it gets," he said. "But we do see potential."
Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch rejected any criticism, claiming he and his panel had done "a very good job". Cricket Australia chairman James Sutherland admitted the 3-1 series loss was "disappointing" and there would be a review, but dismissed notions the schedule was to blame.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Very fair comments, CXB77L.

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 198):
We've lost our ranking as the number 1 Test nation in the world, and what we must be doing is focussing on how to regain top spot. We don't have time to be insulted.

Actually, I didn't realise what the price of this defeat was, until I looked up the latest ICC rankings. The two teams have swapped rankings. England up to No. 3, Australia down to No. 5 (out of 9):-

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/match_zone/team_ranking.php

[Edited 2011-01-08 04:53:21]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

Bongodog1964

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 195):
You think barmy army behaviour will be tolerated in 2012? I'd like to see them try.

I can't see that they have done anything which would be considered illegal or unwelcome in the UK, what they have done is spent in the region of £12,000 each on their trip to Australia to see the ashes, the vast majority of which has been pumped into the Australian economy, I'm sure the receipients of this cash are very greatful.

I've seen things on British TV about Australia that make me squirm they're either so out of date, misinformed, or just insulting. You have a problem with Australia, I don't pretend to fully understand why.

I've never seen anything on UK television which has been insulting to Australia, apart from the comedy sketches from Mr Barry Humpries, who to the best of my knowledge is an Australian. If he feels the need to portray the Australian cultural attache as a drunken drooling idiot who are we to stop him ?.

Oh I forgot the Monty Python sketch with the Australians who were all called Bruce, this is however 40 years old now, and it has to be said that Monty Python offended almost everyone at some time or another, including the British establishment.

I regularly meet many British people who have a son/daughter/brother/sister/cousin etc who emigrated to Australia, we really don't have any problem with Australia as you suggest, just look at the frequency of flights between our two nations and the number of passengers using them, nor do I believe that the vast majority of Australians have any problem with us. If you as a nation detest the British so much, why would you elect as prime minister someone who was born in Britain ?

Of course we have sterotypes of each other:
According to popular UK culture your typical Aussie is a male chauvinist beer swiller with a lack of social graces
According to Australian culture, we are always moaning, stuffy, firmly stuck in the past with poor hygiene.

Its all only a joke though on both sides. get over it.

scbriml

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 201):
England up to No. 3

Just a couple of points adrift of the Saffers. A good performance against India in the summer should see England continuing to move upwards.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

SpeedBirdA380

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Not like this, NOTHING like the barmy army has come from the Australian side, to suggest otherwise is hyperbole. Every year it gets a little bit nastier, why should Australia subject to a yearly bout of these insults? It's got nothing to do with cricket, and everything to do with the psyche of the English.

Ok...judge the whole English race on the actions of a few thousand drunken barmy army cricket fans..

I've found serious animosity, I've heard the English say some disgusting things about my country,

I have experienced serious animosity from Australians and heard some disgusting things said about my country too.
These include:

Your countrys f***n shite.
Your countrys going down the s****r
This is what you call good aussie beef...you can keep that mad cow s**t you call british beef in Britain....

Those are some of the milder insults said to me by Australians about my country. I would not say the worse ones as I expect I would probably be banned from this site for racism and vulgar launguage.......

You have a problem with Australia, I don't pretend to fully understand why.

Reading your posts it seems your have a serious problem with the English.

planemad1

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi All,

Sorry I'm new to this debate but has anyone seen Graeme Swann's video diaries from Australia? You can watch them on youtube or via www.ecb.co.uk. They are bloody hilarious!  

GDB

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 202):
I've never seen anything on UK television which has been insulting to Australia, apart from the comedy sketches from Mr Barry Humphries, who to the best of my knowledge is an Australian. If he feels the need to portray the Australian cultural attache as a drunken drooling idiot who are we to stop him ?.

You do know you are arguing with someone who has a serious problem with England/UK, for reasons never made clear?
Also who has it seems serious sense of humour limitations coupled with this apparent need to find offence in anything to do with Australia and England.
I wouldn't bother, I won't bother with the tirade coming my way, won't even read it since the contents will be very predictable.

Of course, Australians on here in the main are rather more relaxed, you could say embodying the spirit of the land and it's people.
Congrats to the England team, what a contrast between the English Cricket team and the English Football team, in attitude, sportsmanship, adult behavior and of course, actual results.
No wonder the 'Barmy Army' are happy.

No one, no team, stays at the top forever, sport would be boring, oh hang on, the top of the 'Premier League!' (increasingly a sort of dodgy brand name for a bunch of playthings for foreign millionaires who are often dubious characters and heavily debt leveraged corporations).

NAV20
Topic Author

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 am

For those who would like to get back to the cricket, the tour isn't over yet. England (mostly their reserve players) are playing a one-dayer against 'the Prime Minister's Eleven.' Not being televised but you can follow it ball-by-ball on here:-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2010-11/engine/match/446955.html
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

scbriml

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 207):
England (mostly their reserve players) are playing a one-dayer against 'the Prime Minister's Eleven

PM XI - 254-9 (43 overs)
England - 225-3 (33.3 overs)

England win by 7 wickets (D/L)

Bell 124* from 102 balls.  Wow! He really is in the form of his life. I hope he saves some for the Cricket World Cup!

NAV20
Topic Author

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 208):
He really is in the form of his life.

Agree, scbriml. From Australia's point of view, there don't seem to be any 'reserve white knights' galloping up in the pace bowling field. On the other hand, I thought Doherty bowled very well (two for 38 off seven); no wonder the Aussie selectors, following their recent form, dropped him like a hot brick in the Test Series..........  
Quoting Planemad1 (Reply 205):
has anyone seen Graeme Swann's video diaries

Many thanks, Planemad1 - those videos don't 'show' here on that link (presumably copyright restrictions) but I managed to find them on another site. Sheds some light on the evident England 'team spirit' this series, I'd be very surprised if the Australian training sessions were anything like as light-hearted as the English ones:-

http://ashesupdates.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/swanny-and-the-sprinkler/

PS - that 'ball on a stick' thing is LETHAL! Wish they'd let me use something like that in my day!  

[Edited 2011-01-10 05:17:02]

David_itl

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 207):
Not being televised but you can follow it ball-by-ball on here:-

Was Live on Sky Sports in the UK. Gladstone Small was one of the commentators, Greg Blewett was around as well.

NAV20
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 pm

England's luck holds. They win the first 20/20 by one run, with one wicket in hand, off the very last ball........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/engli...s/2011/01/85867/html/scorecard.stm

imiakhtar

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 211):
England's luck holds.

I think it's a bit beyond that. Good teams "make" their own luck.

Quoting qantasforever2 (Reply 139):
Oh, it's good to be back,

QFF

God Save The Queen!  
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

f4phantom

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 pm

The cricketing nightmare continues for Australia, England win yet again.

The sun shines on the English

A glorious time to be an English cricket fan.

U2380

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:19 pm

My perception was that the British-Australian relationship/rivalry was pretty friendly actually, much more light hearted than other international rivalries.

I love Australia, and the way of life that many lead, all the Australians I’ve ever met have been incredibly polite and happy!

I’d of loved to go to/on that Ashes tour, a much nicer way to watch cricket than the grey, rainy weather we have been accustomed to over here.

Great Ashes win for England though, let’s hope the rest of series goes much the same way..

Well I’d like that anyway.

CXB77L

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:51 am

Quoting U2380 (Reply 214):
I’d of loved to go to/on that Ashes tour,
The Pedantic Thread (by DocLightning Dec 12 2010 in Non Aviation) Reply 12

I'm not sure I could sit all day watcing a Test match, though, to be honest. One day games or Twenty20 games are not a problem for me, though.

[Edited 2011-01-12 20:53:33]
Boeing 777 fanboy

U2380

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:34 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 215):
The Pedantic Thread (by DocLightning Dec 12 2010 in Non Aviation) Reply 12
Not the best sentence ever constructed, I'll give you that  

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 am

Quoting U2380 (Reply 214):
a much nicer way to watch cricket than the grey, rainy weather we have been accustomed to over here.

If you don't know what WE'RE getting at the moment, U2380, I guess you haven't been watching the international news on TV!  

Queensland is getting much the worst of it, but there are floods in upstate New South Wales and Victoria as well. Here in Melbourne it's been sheeting down all day. Until a few months ago we were praying for rain, now we're virtually down to 'praying for drought'.......  

More rain forecast here for tomorrow morning; but (thankfully), if the weathermen are right, it should ease off in the evening, in time for the second 20/20 at the MCG tomorrow night. Scroll down to the 'Next 24 Hours' section on here:-

http://weather.theaustralian.com.au/vic/melbourne/melbourne

U2380

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 217):
If you don't know what WE'RE getting at the moment, U2380, I guess you haven't been watching the international news on TV!

Yes indeed, my apologies, I was aware of the flooding, but for some reason I seem to have ignored it when I was posting that. We were only discussing the likelihood of it being due to an ENSO weather oscillation the other day.   

I suppose I was talking about stereotypical Australian weather.

NAV20
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:24 am

Just meant in fun, U2380.  

The forecast was right - rain stopped about midday and the sun's out, the outfield may be a bit soggy but we should get a match tonight.

scbriml

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 219):
we should get a match tonight.

Indeed we do. Australia won the toss and elected to bat first.

Australia 147-7 from their 20,
England 143-6.

So another very close game, but congrats to Australia for ending England's unbeaten run in T20.

Despite loving Test cricket, T20 does appeal to me for its excitement. It's also a short enough form of the sport to make just about any game close. One or two good overs either way can make such a big difference.