Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NAV20
Topic Author

Cricket - The Ashes, Australia V. England, 2010

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

That time again. Finally the preliminaries are over and the First Test starts tomorrow in Brisbane.

Personally I have no idea as to which way it will go this time, over the five matches. England seem to have prepared exceptionally well this time, but Australia are (literally) on their home turf, which always counts for a lot.

The only opinion I'll venture at this stage is that I have a feeling that the toss in Brisbane tomorrow morning might turn out to be 'a good toss to lose.' So often, on unpredictable wickets like Brissie, whichever captain wins the toss and has the right to choose to bat or bowl is later castigated for having 'made the wrong decision.'

[Edited 2010-11-24 04:01:55]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

scbriml

RE: Cricket - The Ashes, Australia V. England, 2010

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Yes, really looking forward to this one.   

I feel this series will be pretty close despite Glen McGrath's usual 5-0 boasts.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...ov/17/the-ashes-2010-glenn-mcgrath

I think England are capable of winning this series, but need a good result in the 1st Test. Australia at home should be favourites despite recent poor form.

Captaincy could be the difference here and I have to confess to often doubting Ponting's captaincy skills. As a batsman, his name should be first on the teamsheet, but I'm not convinced he's that good a captain. He had the luxury of being named captain when Australia had arguably the best team of all time. What did he actually have to do as captain, other than throw the ball to Warne and McGrath and say "Take 20 wickets for me"? To paraphrase Boycott, my old Mum could have done that!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NAV20
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 1):
doubting Ponting's captaincy skills. As a batsman, his name should be first on the teamsheet, but I'm not convinced he's that good a captain.

Tend to agree, scrimbl. But, oddly enough, the two captains have a lot in common. Both are match-winning slip fielders. Strauss carries the 'poisoned chalice' of having to open the batting, as a No. 3 Ponting has to do his share of that as well, more often than not. Both are often criticised for their field placings (easy choice for the journos, is it a 'too defensive' day or a 'too aggressive' one  ).

Couldn't agree more about the matter of 'key players.' Easy for Ponting to turn to Warne and McGrath, Brearley to turn to Botham or Willis. Less clearcut now. But I'd venture to suggest that there are still 'key players' in the various departments of both teams. Specifically:-

1. Captaincy - Ponting has the 'track record,' Strauss seems to have an 'easy but authoritative' style - probably 'even stevens' at this time.

2. Batting - I'd reckon that the 'class batsmen' of the two sides - the most technically-correct and the most likely to achieve match-winning scores by sheer technique and concentration - are Clarke and Bell respectively. Didn't even consider Pietersen in this area because he's an explosive 'phenomenon'; he either 'comes off big' or gets out early. That might be a mark against Oz - they certainly have a counter to Bell, in Clarke - but they don't have a 'Pietersen equivalent.' The current England team wins a lot of their matches because, even if they lose early wickets, they seem to 'bat all the way down,' at least as far as Broad; not sure that Australia has similar 'depth.'

3. Bowling - a clear difference here. Australia's best 'match-winning' bowling candidate seems to be a 'fast man,' the potentially-explosive Johnson - while England's is their weirdly-effective off-spinner, Swann. I say 'weirdly' because I honestly cannot make out, just from the TV, what he does that is at all different to generations of previous players in the spinning trade, to account for his amazing wicket-taking record. A difference among the two 'new boys,' too - Finn seems like a typical (but highly-effective) English 'if you miss I hit' seamer, and Australia's new left-arm finger-spinner, Doherty, seems to be a completely unknown quantity (though I have to wish him well, since that used to be my own trade  ).

4. Fielding - that seems to be the clearest difference between test players nowadays and those of even a few years ago. Everyone has to field well or lose their place. Australian spectators in particular may find themselves astonished by the outfielding of England fast bowler James Anderson, and I suspect that a lot of England batsmen will fall to 'blinders' taken by the highly-skilled Australian slips......

[Edited 2010-11-24 06:14:42]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

scbriml

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Well, from an English perspective, that was a disappointing start. I stayed up late to watch the first hour's play and nearly went to bed after the 3rd ball!   

Siddle bowled very well and deserved his success from what I've read. Three ducks is too many in one innings and England needed one of those that got in to stay in much longer. Respect to Bell, looks like he was the pick of the batsmen - he feels he has a point to prove after the last Ashes tour and seems he's determined to prove it.

Siddle aside, from what I've seen (not an awful lot), the rest of the bowling looked to be a bit ordinary. Johnson failing to make a mark against England again - 0 for 66 off 15.

I now have a horrible feeling that the Australian batsmen will show England how it should be done, then England will struggle to save the game. What we need is a World-class spinner to come in and take a handful.

As I said before, I honestly believe this England team is capable of winning in Oz, but they HAD to make a good start.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NAV20
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 3):
nearly went to bed after the 3rd ball!

Sure would have been a good toss to lose from Strauss's personal point of view.  
I now have a horrible feeling that the Australian batsmen will show England how it should be done

Well, five of them didn't do much better than the England blokes did. But Hussey pretty well got them out of the hole and they're now only 40 runs behind on first innings with five wickets in hand. However, the second new ball's due first thing tomorrow.

As you say, Siddle's marvellous effort was the highlight yesterday. Fans of Doug Bollinger, who were complaining before the match that he should have been selected instead, are 'keeping a low profile.' Today's play wasn't a matter of 'highlights' really - more a pretty workmanlike effort by the England attack. However, one 'event' worthy of note is that Steven Finn shows every sign of bieng 'Test class.' Didn't look like it during his first spell, which was pretty erratic; but then he began pitching the ball further up and was rewarded with two wickets, one of which (Simon Katich) was a terrific caught-and-bowled.

So honours are about even so far, and both sides still have everything to play for.

scbriml

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:37 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 4):
So honours are about even so far, and both sides still have everything to play for.

Fair summary, I would say Oz have an advantage at the moment, especially if Hussey continues tomorrow.

At 143-5, I thought England were in with a sniff of a lead on 1st innings, but Hussey's put paid to that. Going to be a tense first session tomorrow.

I guess we're the only two taking any interest then?   

TransIsland

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 5):
I guess we're the only two taking any interest then?

No, you're not. But the time difference here makes it a real pain in the youknowwhat to watch.

Day 1 I fell asleep in front of the TV probably around the 64th over...   

And last night, for some reason, the Caribbean sports channel that shows cricket suddenly dropped the Ashes and showed track and field and golf instead.  

Anyway... Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! 
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

David_itl

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Had the intention of watching the 1st session yesterday after getting Virgin Media TV installed but fell asleep at 9pm and woke up to see them coming off for lunch!

Looking at the bowling, Finn and, in particular, Swann appeared to be on a mission to revive Hussey's career with a number of poor balls easiliy pulled for 4s. Anderson seems to gone into a decent groove.

What needs to happen for England is get someone to bowl well in tandem with Anderson and try to limit the Australians to less than 350. Given the turn that has happened, I reckon chasing a total of around 200 to 225 in the last innings should be challenging;.

CPH-R

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 6):
No, you're not. But the time difference here makes it a real pain in the youknowwhat to watch.

Could be worse, you could be trying to follow the Sri Lanka v West Indies series :-P

Thank goodness for on-demand video via Willow Cricket. Means I can watch it when I get home - and if I'm lucky, the Test Match Special broadcast will have been put up as a torrent as well by that time 

David_itl

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 am

Well the plan for limiting the Australian lead went slightly astray with Hussey and Haddin having a 307 partnership. However, the bowling especially in the morning session couldn't really be faulted - just unlucky that Hussey could have gone in the 1st over of the day but for a review showing the ball pitched fractionally outside legstump. Which makes me wonder about the LBW law - you can't be out if it pitches outside legstump so........ if the ball pitches outside legstump and the batsman fails to defend and it strikes the stumps, using that "LBW logic", shouldn't the umpire call "dead ball" or is it time to amend the law so that it doesn't matter where the ball pitches, you are going to be given out if any part of your body stops the ball from hitting the stumps?

Last session was good for England in getting the score from 450-5 to 481 all out with Finn getting 6 wickets. I was contemplating a 550 to 600 score given the batsmen waiting to come in.

Summary of score: England 260 and 19-0. Australia 481.

scbriml

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:33 am

Firstly, well played Hussey and Haddin.

Quoting david_itl (Reply 9):
However, the bowling especially in the morning session couldn't really be faulted

Yes, they bowled very well, with no luck whatsoever.

So, with three days gone, three Australians have made telling contributions and have now put England under immense pressure. Difficult to see England saving the game from here.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 9):
Which makes me wonder about the LBW law

Interesting point, david_itl. But, according to a teacher of mine way back, the historians believe that deliberately bowling too far down the leg side was originally banned because it would make it virtually impossible to play any sort of scoring stroke. So my guess is that the 'no pitching legside' rule came before the lbw one. After all, as any of us bowlers will tell you, the rules were (and remain) largely written BY batsmen FOR batsmen......  
Quoting scbriml (Reply 10):
Firstly, well played Hussey and Haddin.

Yes, definitely the main highlight of the day. A fantastic (probably match-winning) effort from both Aussie players. The way that the Australian lower order who followed them to the wicket collapsed in less time than it takes to type these comments just underlines what a marvellous job they did for their team.

Others (for me) were:-

1. The frankly-marvellous umpiring of Aleem Dah. I'd even include in that him not giving Hussey out lbw early on. Even though that decision turned out to be technically 'wrong,' the ball passed very close to the bat and he heard two noises. On the principle of, "ANY doubt, not out," it was the right decision on the information he had; even though we now know that the ball hit both pads. And he got a whole string of other decisions dead right through the day - including saving Strauss from a heart attack by not giving him out lbw to the first ball of England's second innings.....

2. Anderson's marvellous bowling early on. Such a contrast to his poor performances last time he visited Oz - even though he had no luck at all.

3. Six wickets to Steven Finn, including three top order ones. On a pretty unresponsive track. Confirms my earlier assessment of him as 'test class.'

One slightly sad note. It's becoming pretty clear, from his innings yesterday and also press reports this evening, that Michael Clarke's back problem is bothering him a lot. Not only should 'they' not have selected him for this match, he may not be fit for the next one.

Emirates773ER

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:16 pm

What a fine game of crickets folks. I rarely watch test match anymore due to the boredom that tends to creep in with every block shot. The ashes are a totally different ball game though, you can see every single player giving their best in the field and trying to put their names down in the record books to remembered by the future geenrations. Brilliant batting display by Hussey and Haddin all day yesterday, with that new ball zipping around they played an amazing hand in that morning session although with some luck to support them. Here is to hoping that England can lead a fight back today and make this game an epic starter for this tour down under.

PS: Who said Swan is a world class spinner   
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

aussie18

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Awesome innings by "Mr Cricket",He was under so much pressure from the media leading upto the ashes as he has been struggling to keep his spot for last 12months and with age not on his side anymore than big performances like this when Australia needs them is quite an achievement,Shame he fell 5 runs short of a double ton as he deserved it for sure.

Hadding also played good after a slow start,he played a very different innings to his usuall aggressive starts that we have seen over the years,back after a injury and scores a 100.

I think North needs to be dropped for Ferguson or Khawaja as North always fails when Australia needs our middle order to steady,All Norths runs come when Australia is in a good position but when Australia need him to fire than he gets out cheaply.

I think the first session on day 4 could make or break Englands chances of either winning or salvaging a draw,Strauss & Cook need to try and get them through the first session without a loss of a wicket.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:49 am

Well now........

Just the two 'highlights' today - big hundreds by both England openers.

Plus a couple more good lbw decisions (or rather non-decisions) by Aleem Dah. I think part of his secret may be that he's not very tall - I've often felt that many (taller) umpires concentrate too much on the line of the delivery, and not enough to how high on the pads it hits.

Siddle aside, from what I've seen (not an awful lot), the rest of the bowling looked to be a bit ordinary.

That's what I thought might be the case before the series began - and you're right, it was only Siddle's miracle spell that got England into such strife in the first innings. He looked a lot more 'ordinary' today; and the other Aus bowlers have looked that right through so far.

On the face of it only Australia can win from here - and, with nine English wickets remaining, that would appear to need yet another miracle. So, short of a very early and complete Aussie breakthrough, it looks like being a draw. The only thing that could change that is that Strauss is always very keen on 'playing to win'; so he might just tell his batsmen to start hitting out, try to set Oz a target of say 200 and then hope to bowl them out in the last session.

But all England need to retain the Ashes is five draws, so a draw is almost a 'victory' for them. I don't think 'the management' will let Strauss take any risks.

David_itl

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 am

Mine's not so adventurous a plan as I'm anticipating that at the current scoring rate of just over 3 an over, batting till lunchtime should see 33 overs or so bowled so call that 100 in the morning session. Lead of 188 with about 60 overs to go. Hmmm... bat for about 22 more overs, stretch the lead to 250 with around 35 overs to go and then pop the Australians in for a 4 over mini-session before tea It'd be a good test to see the resolve of the Australian batting and it would give a decent amount of time for Swann to bowl himself back into a bit of form after tea.

scbriml

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 am

Great fight-back by England, led by the openers. Must admit, I didn't give them a huge chance after 3 days.

Possibly suggesting that the wicket has got easier as the match has gone on. May have been a toss to lose?

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 14):
The only thing that could change that is that Strauss is always very keen on 'playing to win'

A good trait IMHO, but in the current situation, after such a big deficit on first innings, England's only job tomorrow is to make sure they can't lose. Personally, I'd be quite happy to see them bat all day.

fruitbat

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:30 pm

The momentum is with England but there's still a long way to go to save the match.

Quoting david_itl (Reply 15):
Mine's not so adventurous a plan as I'm anticipating that at the current scoring rate of just over 3 an over, batting till lunchtime should see 33 overs or so bowled so call that 100 in the morning session. Lead of 188 with about 60 overs to go. Hmmm... bat for about 22 more overs, stretch the lead to 250 with around 35 overs to go and then pop the Australians in for a 4 over mini-session before tea It'd be a good test to see the resolve of the Australian batting and it would give a decent amount of time for Swann to bowl himself back into a bit of form after tea.

I'd try and get to a 250 lead a bit faster, 20-20 style after lunch....then let rip for 40 overs (if possible), as a couple of the days have been shortened for bad light, and there's no time left after day 5  

Pile the pressure on and take at the very least the psychological advange to the 2nd test.....but as on days 1,2,3 and 4 a few early wickets will turn this thing on its head.
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

David_itl

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 pm

The only problem with 250 in 40 overs is that is a lot more doable than 250 in 35. You can get off to a flyer in the 1st 8 to 10 overs before tea by promoting the big hitters and if doesn't work out, you can then send in the more steadier players.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Quoting fruitbat (Reply 17):
I'd try and get to a 250 lead a bit faster, 20-20 style after lunch....then let rip for 40 overs

Trouble is, in terms of modern cricket, 250 over fifty overs is a commonplace in one-dayers - and 200-odd off 20 is quite possible in a 20/20, come to that. In addition, a 250 lead off say 50 overs would mean England trying to score at a one-day rate from the start of play tomorrow - which would almost certainly entail losing top-order wickets early on.........

Australia did well to bowl England out relatively cheaply, and then build a big lead. England did equally well to bat themselves out of trouble and turn probable defeat into a good chance of being able to play it out for a draw.

But with six hours of play remaining, and the wicket showing a lot of fourth-day cracks, that means making as sure as possible that they don't lose early wickets tomorrow. There's always the risk that they could get themselves 'Siddled' again.  

So my guess is, 'steady as she goes' until after tea tomorrow. Then, if there are enough runs in the bank by then (say a 250 lead minimum) maybe declare and turn the bowlers loose for an hour or so to get a bit more practice in getting top-order Aussies out.

Me though (being conservative, even though I was primarily a bowler) I think that batting right through the fifth day - very possibly leaving the Aussies facing the fact that they'd slogged away bowling and fielding for more than two solid days on a wearing pitch without being able to get England all out - might have a bigger effect on Australian team morale (and also on the minds of their selectors) than letting them 'have a mad batting dash' in the last hour or so would have........

[Edited 2010-11-28 05:47:00]

scbriml

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 19):
Me though (being conservative, even though I was primarily a bowler) I think that batting right through the fifth day - very possibly leaving the Aussies facing the fact that they'd slogged away bowling and fielding for more than two solid days on a wearing pitch without being able to get England all out - might have a bigger effect on Australian team morale (and also on the minds of their selectors) than letting them 'have a mad batting dash' in the last hour or so would have........

My thoughts exactly (as I said in a previous post). Even though the bowlers might like to have a go for an hour or so, who takes the psychological advantage if the openers bat easily and smash the ball around for 15 overs?

fruitbat

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 18):
The only problem with 250 in 40 overs is that is a lot more doable than 250 in 35.

Ok then a bit of rapid biff-bam to get it to 275-285 target in 40.. The thing is, IF you are after a win (and it's a big IF, to be honest, as per posts above) the target needs to be a "tempter".

Also as field placings in tests are unrestricted (none of this min / max men in the 30 yard circle for example) it can be more difficult to chase targets in tests that in 20/40/50 overs would be (relatively) straightforward.

But it's all about the first hour (where have we heard that before)?  
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Dano1977

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 pm

I would grind the Aussie bowlers into the dirt

9 wickets in hand including Trott who is the type of batsman that would enjoy scoring 100 from 300 balls. Don't forget we don't need to chase this series, 0-0 and we keep the urn. I'm not saying play for 5 draws, but what is the point in chasing a game that until the afternoon session yesterday we were favourites to lose and still aren't in that strong a position to look for a victory.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

aussie18

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:38 am

Heading towards a draw..Good innings by Cook to start the series with almost 300 runs.
It hasnt been much of a bowling friendly pitch so its been hard work for all bowlers this test.
Australia have a session to get some of the top order batsmen into form before the Adelaide test.

scbriml

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 am

517-1  Wow! Hussey & Haddin's record stand didn't, well, stand very long.   

One of the most amazing scores in Test history. But, don't understand point of letting Australia bat, I would have just carried on batting.

aussie18

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:18 am

Match officially over with a draw-Australia managed 1/107 with Ponting getting a quick fire 51n.o before both captains decided to have a early dinner...

5 batsmen getting 100's and only 2 wickets falling on the final 2 days..quite strange!

NAV20
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 24):
One of the most amazing scores in Test history.

Too right! No doubt what today's 'highlight' was. Cook's 235NO is the highest individual score ever recorded in test cricket at the Gabba. The highest previous century-plus score up to this point was 226, made against South Africa in 1931/2.

By some old-time guy called 'D.G.Bradman'.....  http://cricketarchive.com/Queensland/Grounds/41/t_Centuries.html

scbriml

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 26):
By some old-time guy called 'D.G.Bradman'

Never heard of him!   

I haven't seen any of today's play yet, but will watch the highlights this evening. Questions for the Aussies here -

What's the local perception of Australia's bowling attack? Aside from Siddle's magnificent effort on the first day, the bowling attack has figures of 723-5, with Mitchell Johnson 'contributing' 170-0 from 42 overs. Does it need to change for the 2nd Test, or is it unfair to judge them on the basis of that pitch?

What happened with Ponting's 'catch' that wasn't given? Did he throw a major fit, or was it much ado about nothing? Despite him claiming a clean catch, one would assume that if the on-pitch umpire doesn't give it and the review is inconclusive, the batsman would be perfectly within his right to stay? It would be nice if today's cricketers accepted each other's words in such matters, but sadly, I think those days are long gone, never to return.

NAV20
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 27):
What's the local perception of Australia's bowling attack?

Pretty 'unprintable,' I'd say. Especially among people old enough to remember 'Lillian Thomson.'  

There's no doubt that Aus is stuck with a bunch of 'run of the mill' seamers, who have trouble taking twenty wickets in a match. On the other hand, England (despite having, IMO, a more varied and arguably a slightly more talented attack) only got eleven wickets in the match too...........

The immediate result is that Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris have been added to the squad for Adelaide. I'll be surprised if one of them (probably Harris, a bit of an Anderson clone) doesn't replace Mitchell Johnson in the Second Test.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...29/3079775.htm?site=sport§ion=all

Given fine weather, the 'perfect' Adelaide Oval pitch is quite often a batsmens' paradise and a bowlers' graveyard. It usually takes a fantastic effort by some really-effective bowlers to produce a result; and I don't see much evidence of that sort of overwhelming talent being available in either squad. No-one Australia can select could bowl as badly as Johnson in his recent form, but on the face of it another draw is very much on the cards.

What happened with Ponting's 'catch' that wasn't given?

Ponting's having a (fairly-restrained) moan - with some reason, I don't particularly like the bloke but he certainly has an almost 'religious' commitment to fair play. But he has to 'face facts' - I'm sure that umpires could take HIS word for it having been a fair catch, but they certainly couldn't do the same with a high proportion of lesser cricketers. Video reviews are here to stay, and I for one think that, on balance, they have made the game fairer. For batsmen, anyway.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...29/3079775.htm?site=sport§ion=all

Come to think of it, when the video replays showed the ball clearly missing Mike Hussey's bat and heading for middle stump, but hitting both pads to make the 'two noises,' I didn't see Ponting rushing out to the middle to tell both the umpire and Hussey that the 'not out' decision was wrong and that Hussey should walk......?  
It would be nice if today's cricketers accepted each other's words in such matters, but sadly, I think those days are long gone, never to return.

Dead right, in my view. Indeed, I'm not sure that 'those days' ever existed. In my day, just at local club amateur level, I lost count of the number of batsmen I saw tapping their bat to 'assure' the umpire that they'd edged an lbw ball, when they hadn't got within six old-fashioned inches of the 'fornicating' thing.....

[Edited 2010-11-29 07:14:11]

aussie18

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:37 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 28):
The immediate result is that Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris have been added to the squad for Adelaide. I'll be surprised if one of them (probably Harris, a bit of an Anderson clone) doesn't replace Mitchell Johnson in the Second Test.

Id be very surprised if they drop Johnson for the 2nd test,He has struggled the last the few matches but still has to be regarded as one of the best bowlers around the world,he has done quite well since replacing Mcgrath as our spearhead strike bowler,If he can find some form in adelaide than the poms will be having nightmares leading upto the 3rd test as Johnson practically destroyed South Africa 2 years ago at the WACA with some mean fast bowling which included breaking Graeme smiths hand.

I think the only change for the next test is Michael Clarke should be dropped/rested and maybe Phil Hughes in for Simon Katich if he isnt fit.

signol

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:11 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 24):
But, don't understand point of letting Australia bat, I would have just carried on batting.

Maybe they felt that, given the state of the pitch, it was worth a shot trying to bowl out the Aussies in the 26 overs remaining, especially given that Australia would have to take some risky shots to try to win the match themselves.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

NAV20
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:43 am

On balance I think Strauss was right to give the rest of the team (who'd literally just been sitting around for more than two days) a run on the field. And there was always the chance of picking up a few Aussie wickets and lowering Australian morale. Indeed, that nearly happened - they got Katich cheaply (giving Broad his first wicket of the series) and if Watson had been caught off Swann's first over (un-characteristic drop by Collingwood) Ponting and the rest could have faced a pretty nervy period.

Unfortunately, though, it didn't come off; and, instead, Ponting and Watson were able to play themselves into form. But worth trying...........'you win some, you lose some' ............

scbriml

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 pm

OK, having now seen Ponting's 'catch' and the ensuing row, I'm really not sure what he's so upset about.

His immediate reaction was totally muted (yes, the scoreboard would tend to have that effect) and he then approached the umpire and said "I'm pretty sure I caught that." Pretty sure? "Pretty sure" doesn't equal "I definitely caught that". He then even asked Cook if he thought he'd been caught. At that point, if I'd been Cook, I'd have been on my hands and knees laughing at Ponting.

I honestly can't see why Ponting is so upset that neither the umpires nor Cook accepted his word, when his word was less than 100% convincing. If the on-pitch umpires can't give it and the review is inconclusive (as everyone says it nearly always is in such circumstances) and the batsman isn't prepared to walk, Ponting should just shut up and get on with the game.

To bitch about the technology and other teams' attitudes to his 'moral crusade' after the game seems beyond pointless, and I can't help thinking he's shown himself in a bad light again (shades of Prattgate?)

NAV20
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:07 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 32):
I honestly can't see why Ponting is so upset that neither the umpires nor Cook accepted his word, when his word was less than 100% convincing.

Agree with the logic, scrimbl - but since neither of us have experienced it, it's difficult for us to imagine how 'frazzled' one can become after two days of fruitless bowling/fielding in temperatures up to 30C plus high humidity, at test level with everyone in the country watching, from the prime minister down (or 'up,' IMO, at the present time  ).............

I've said before that I don't personally 'reckon' Ponting but I think we have to cut him a bit of slack for being less than 'coldly logical' about this incident.

The 'talking heads' and journos have been busy putting the boot in not just on Johnson, but on all the Australian bowlers. Don't see it myself - Australia scored a stack of runs but could only take 11 wickets, England scored a somewhat bigger 'stack' but THEY only managed to take 11 wickets too. Classic case, to my mind, of the groundsman being the only winner.......

This seems to be the outcome though - Bollinger in for Johnson:-

"EXCLUSIVE: BELEAGUERED Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson has been dropped for the Second Ashes Test starting in Adelaide on Friday.

"Mitchell Johnson has been told he will not play in the Second Test.

"Johnson, 29, is believed to have been told by Australia’s chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch in Adelaide on Wednesday morning at training that he would be dropped.

"Johnson is understood to have been furious at his omission and indicated that he would not train with the Aussies in the Adelaide nets in the besieged team’s last full workout before an optional session on Thursday, the day before the match starts.

"Johnson will be replaced in the starting XI by another left-arm speedster Doug Bollinger, who was surprisingly left out of the opening Test when the selectors opted for first innings hero Peter Siddle.

"Bollinger is likely to be the only change to the misfiring Australian attack unless swing specialist Ben Hilfenhaus fails to recover from a slight hamstring strain."

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/ar...2/01/johnson-out-of-adelaide-test/

aussie18

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:36 am

Cant say I agree with Johnson being dropped after one test,If selectors are going to start dropping players after a few bad test match performances than the likes of Clarke,Katich,North,Hussey should all have been dropped at they have bad spells with the bat recently yet retained their spots,Very harsh decision to drop Johnson as he was 2009 ICC player of the year and over 160+ wickets in 39 test @ avg of 29 is quite good.

Also weakens our lower order batting line up as Doherty,Siddle,Hilfenhaus & Bollinger struggle with the willow.

fruitbat

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Quoting aussie18 (Reply 29):
Id be very surprised if they drop Johnson for the 2nd test
Quoting aussie18 (Reply 34):
Cant say I agree with Johnson being dropped after one test

So as England start to perform more like Australia, Australia take on England-like tendencies?  

Anyway on to Adelaide. Plan A: win the toss, bat for 2.5 days. Plan B: win the toss, bat for 2 days.

Lose the toss and it's going to be hard work out there!

David_itl

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Quoting aussie18 (Reply 34):
Cant say I agree with Johnson being dropped after one test

As an Englishman, I heartily concur with this sentiment, given his less than stellar performances against England!

David_itl

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:09 am

5 balls in. Australia have lost thier 1st 2 wickets without scoring! Katich runout without facing and Ponting got a first baller!

scbriml

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:23 am

Quoting david_itl (Reply 37):
Ponting got a first baller!

Indeed he did. A pearler of a delivery from Anderson, but have to say Ponting went at it a bit firmly.

And he's done it again!!! Clark ct Swann, bowled Anderson. Australia 2-3 (that's 2 runs for 3 wickets).

I'm going to bed now, because this can't get any better than this. Can it? 

David_itl

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 am

245 all out. Nasty one or two overs for England now.

aussie18

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:22 am

Pretty poor performance from Australia,Hussey deserved a 100 as he played good to get Australia from 2/3 to over 200,Anderson bowled quite well but still not convinced Swan is a world class bowler.

Australia need to take atleast 3 wickets in the first session tomorrow with the new ball otherwise it will be a long couple days in the field.

SpeedBirdA380

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:27 am

Quoting fruitbat (Reply 35):
Lose the toss and it's going to be hard work out there!

Thankfully the boys have done well despite losing the toss. Some brilliant fielding out there today.

Would like to know what that little spat at the end was as the players walked off with Ponting having words with the English batsmen.

NAV20
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Have to say that (purely because of my profession before I retired) the 'highlight' for me today was seeing the new Stand at Adelaide for the first time. Just plain 'beautiful,' a marvellous design - especially the roof elements.

As for the cricket, the word that keeps nagging at me is 'balance.' England certainly had the 'balance of advantage' most of the day, especially early on - but I've always thought of 250-odd runs as being 'par' for any cricket innings.

So now it's up to England to make their advantage stick - match Australia's score tomorrow with wickets in hand, and go on from there. Anything less and (with four days to go, and fine weather forecast) the result of the match is still wide open.

Fun thinking about the Aussie selectors, though. They had one bowler 'fail' and another bowl poorly in the first match, and duly axed them both. They've now, in the second match, had batsmen Nos. 2, 3, and 4 fail utterly, managing only TWO runs between them all. As a paid-up member of the 'bowlers' union,' I sure hope (without much hope) that Katich, Ponting, and Clarke are all 'rested' for the Third Test.........  

scbriml

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Quoting fruitbat (Reply 35):
Anyway on to Adelaide. Plan A: win the toss, bat for 2.5 days. Plan B: win the toss, bat for 2 days.

It seems Ponting and Australia were working from Plan Z.   

Some experienced commentators suggesting that it may actually have been one of England's best ever Ashes' days down under. They bowled to a plan and fielded very well. I was shocked when I got up at 6am and saw that Australia had only just brought up 200.

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 41):
Would like to know what that little spat at the end was as the players walked off with Ponting having words with the English batsmen.

I believe he was upset that the batsmen only managed to face one over when there might have been enough time for two. To me it shows just how much pressure he's feeling. After winning the toss and deciding to bat, I doubt even his most pessimistic outlook would have included England batting before the end of the day.

Some suggestions that the weather might not be too good over the weekend?

NAV20
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 38):
I'm going to bed now, because this can't get any better than this.
Quoting scbriml (Reply 43):
I was shocked when I got up at 6am and saw that Australia had only just brought up 200.

Every sympathy, scbriml. Makes me feel 'privileged' that all I have to cope with is a half-hour time difference from Adelaide.......  

TransIsland

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Oh dear, I can already hear Ponting stayi

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 41):

That was Ponting announcing that he would stay on as captain for the next Ashes series, too...   
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

aussie18

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:33 am

Australia have certainly struggled today and I'd say they'll spend most of tomorrow in the field chasing leather,Seems we can't get Cook out and have got Pietersen back in form,To take only 2 wickets during the day is pretty poor but some poor fielding once again cost the Aussies.

If the likes of Katich,Clarke,North fail in the next innings than selectors need to make some changes otherwise the Poms will regain the Ashes urn at the WACA.

scbriml

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 am

Well, after another very solid England batting performance, Ponting will be even unhappier tonight.   

England finish on 317-2 and will be hoping to build a big lead tomorrow. Some astonishing stats are being posted by England:

In their last one and a half innings, England have scored 834 runs for the loss of just 3 wickets.  Wow!
Pietersen has sat with his pads on waiting to bat for nearly 10 hours.
Cook has scored 438 runs in less than 3 innings, for once out.

As a long-suffering England cricket fan who's seen far too many drubbings at the hands of Australia, I'm tempering my joy, but I can't help feeling I've slipped into some strange parallel universe where the normal order has been reversed. Long may it continue.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:56 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 47):
I can't help feeling I've slipped into some strange parallel universe where the normal order has been reversed.

I'm in the same sort of jam, really. I've lived just about half my life in each of the two countries, and I've played (very amateur) cricket in both too, so my loyalties tend to be divided. But, in Ashes contests, 'sympathy for the underdog' has had me supporting England most of the time. Can't recall any previous situation in which England was so clearly the 'overdog,' I may have to transfer my allegiance for a while.................

Quoting scbriml (Reply 43):
Some suggestions that the weather might not be too good over the weekend?

Current forecast is fine tomorrow, 'Shower or two' Monday/Tuesday:-

http://weather.news.com.au/index.jsp...ict&contextcode=s00&sitecode=23090

fruitbat

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:45 pm

I have never seen such a poor Australian attack.

Where's Brett Lee?