Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fca767
Topic Author

Been Threatened - Recording

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:40 pm

I was in work yesterday, my new job.

My boss says I am doing great on my calls and shows me my stats.

I try my best and never go in wrap up when you have time to update the system in this mode before the next call.

anyway, this person is sat on the other side of me, who I've never met until yesterday/day before.

He cannot see what I am doing apart from seeing my head.

He is also a Temporary worker through an agency and is half asleep from his looks throughout the day.

He basically says to me before this recording over the desks "If you take don't take another call before me, I'm gonna slap you on the face" Some more words but that's the jist of it, he says that he's watching my lips.

Now I go round the other side and ask him what he said, it's more mellow this one but very bad to me.

How on earth can some temp I dont know just come and start threatening to hurt me for not taking as many calls.

Even though I do take more than him on the stats.
I have a picture of him but I decided not to show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyNHY0apPs

hka098

RE: Been Threatened - Recording

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Any possibility this chap was joking? If not, tell him where to go, how to get there, and offer a ride.

sunshine79

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:47 pm

I've just finished my temp job today. If someone spoke to me like that I would go to a team leader and advise them of what has happened, and also speak to your temp agency. The only person who has the authority to tell you what to do (in moderation) is someone higher than yourself. The amount of times I would love to pull other temps to bits because of their attitude or the way they are not doing their job is unreal, but the way I look at it is, it dosen't affect me so let them get on with it as I won't be the one to get sacked.

[Edited 2010-12-24 10:49:41]

DanTaylor2006

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:50 pm

I don't know about threatening, but he does sound like a know-it-all dick who thinks they are the manager and thus can tell you how to do your job.

If your stats are better than his, like you say, then I really wouldn't worry about it to be quite honest.

fca767
Topic Author

Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Quoting sunshine79 (Reply 2):
I've just finished my temp job today. If someone spoke to me like that I would go to a team leader and advise them of what has happened, and also speak to your temp agency. The only person who has the authority to tell you what to do (in moderation) is someone higher than yourself. The amount of times I would love to pull other temps to bits because of their attitude or the way they are not doing their job is unreal, but the way I look at it is, it dosen't affect me so let them get on with it as I won't be the one to get sacked.

Yeah I told the manager today, he's a great manager and really nice and friendly. I said to him, about what happened, and we had a chat, and I told him everything.

He got him in the office, and also chatted to me again and asked how far I want to take it, and said he might not have meant it like that.

I didnt show him the recording as it's forbidden in the call centre so I dont want to lose my job.
He asked if I wanted to report it to the agency or wait to see if I get any more threats, and see how it goes.

fca767
Topic Author

Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 3):
I don't know about threatening, but he does sound like a know-it-all dick who thinks they are the manager and thus can tell you how to do your job.

If your stats are better than his, like you say, then I really wouldn't worry about it to be quite honest.

Yeah I shouldn't worry, I just think it's a bit sick that someone can threaten physical violence for being slower if Infact I was.

Type-Rated

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Generally temp agencies want their employees to make employers happy. If there is a problem with a temp, the agency will pull them as soon as the employer notifies them and replace them with an employee that is better suited to the position. If an agency gets a few complaints about a temp, they'll sack them.

In a place where I worked, we had a temp that came in more that 15 minutes late on a regular basis even though we mentioned that he should make an effort to be more on-time. He also came in with very blood shot eyes and looked like he was about to fall asleep all day long. One phone call to the agency and the next day we had a new temp that didn't have these problems.

777236ER

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:07 pm

It's gross misconduct. If your line manager doesn't do anything about it, go to his boss or HR.

NoUFO

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 8):
It's gross misconduct.

Right, but ...

Quoting fca767 (Thread starter):
I have a picture of him but I decided not to show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyNHY0apPs

Publishing his picture, recording and - worse - publishing what he says without his prior approval is or would be a gross misconduct as well.
Consider yourself warned.

lhr380

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Umm, sounds like he is telling you to do your job, maybe not in the nicest of ways, but if what he is saying is true your not doing your job properly and he is rightly annoyed. Call centres work on targets, and if what he says in the recording (Which you should have NEVER posted online btw) your trying to hit your targets by not doing the job. He had a go at you, and your went to him, with a recorder to get him into trouble. Sorry, thats not good...

OA260

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Quoting fca767 (Thread starter):
My boss says I am doing great on my calls and shows me my stats.

I try my best and never go in wrap up when you have time to update the system in this mode before the next call.

There is something seriously wrong with this guy! That is automatic written warning in my company. I actually was shocked I cant imagine it happening in my place of work. You have to do things the right way though. Its good you recorded it but you must never bring this up as it makes you equally in the wrong.Be as nice as pie to everyone , keep your stats good and your TL will know who is the bad egg.If it happens again as soon as its said go to your TL right away and say you feel threatened and bullied, 99% of companies take this very seriously.

777236ER

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 8):
Publishing his picture, recording and - worse - publishing what he says without his prior approval is or would be a gross misconduct as well.

No, I don't agree. He hasn't published his picture, he hasn't published anything identifiable. Recording the incident was throughly justified, regardless of the rules, given that he was being threatened. Published what someone says at work without prior approval is not illegal, nor misconduct if it's not confidential.

I don't understand why this is being posted on here. A physical threat - which is what that was - is unacceptable in the work place. Why not think about what you want to happen, then go speak to your line manager or HR? It seems your line manager had a reasonable reaction, he's asking a legitimate question when he asks how far you'd like it to go.

Personally, I would make sure the guy is history.

OA260

Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:28 pm

PlymSpotter

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:04 am

Bringing this sort of thing onto an internet forum is very unwise. Instead of following the correct procedure of just talking to your manager, no doubt resulting in the matter being resolved and you being exonerated, it almost certainly will result in you being fired if the recording comes to the attention of your employer. I suggest you pull it from YouTube straight away and in future maintain the confidentiality you appear to be contracted in. It's not worth losing your post over some jobsworth, whether his advice was a threat or anything else.