ArmitageShanks
Topic Author

Which E-Reader Should I Choose?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:38 am

I've been mulling over the idea of getting one of these for a few months now but I just can't make up my mind on which to get.

Have any of you used a Kindle or Nook? I've narrowed it down to those two. They both have options I like but I'd like to know from someone that's used them.

DfwRevolution

RE: Which E-Reader Should I Choose?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:26 am

I have no experience with the Nook, but I received a Kindle for Christmas and I love it. It feels great in your hands and the text is stunningly clear. I would highly recommend it.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Cadet985

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:32 am

I got a Kindle without really looking into other e-readers, just because I could not find a single negative review on it. I mean usually when you look up reviews for anything, you see some negative reviews. With the Kindle - NONE. My Kindle is awesome, and I love it. I have the 3G version so I can download books anywhere, anytime. I don't think any of the others offer that. As DFW mentioned, the text is incredibly clear, and there is ZERO glare on the screen.

I wish I had the Kindle when I was in college.....would have made reading textbooks so much easier.

Marc

airportugal310

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:00 am

Was looking to buy the GF one for Christmas...didnt end up doing it, but after some comparison shopping, it would appear that the Kindle is probably the better one.

Reason: contrast on the screen. The Kindle screen is matted, this making for easier reading in sunlight. Small things count to most people, and I found this to be a big negative against the Nook
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

mham001

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 am

The Nook Color is in a whole 'nuther class. Do it. I picked one up for my wife, hacked it in about an hour and now have a full-on 7" tablet with a very beautiful screen, snappy performance and full connectivity with the android Market. My price was $210. Caveat is, we didn't want an exclusive e-reader.

ArmitageShanks
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:37 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 4):
Do it.

That's the only one I have hands on experience with and I don't know if I want that type of screen. Its more like an IPAD than an e-reader. I didn't see it in sunlight but I imagine its difficult to read.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 3):
I found this to be a big negative against the Nook

Ah I didn't realize it wasn't matted.

Another thing I'm worried about is the relatively limited selection of books on the Kindle compared to the Nook. I searched for random books I want on both services and Barnes and Noble seemed to have a bigger selection. That and the ability to "lend" others books, which would be awesome. That's the only thing holding me back. I don't want to drop $150 bucks on an e-reader and not be able to get the books I read.

jwenting

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:37 am

AS: Kindle has in fact a far LARGER selection available than does Nook (and often at lower prices). It also works in large parts of the world, whereas Nook only works in the US (which may or may not matter to you).

Lending on Nook is extremely limited. You can lend SOME books (publishers need to explicitly authorise it for each book, and many don't) for a period of 2 weeks, once, to 1 other person. After those 2 weeks, you can never lend it to anyone again.
Amazon is working on implementing a similar feature, which should be available with an upcoming software update to the K3.
I wish I were flying

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:42 am

Kindle, hands-down. Bought one for my wife and she absolutely loves it. The form factor is perfect for an e-reader, IMHO.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

nws2002

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:33 am

I have a Kindle 2 and love it. Very easy to take along, and with Whispersync and the iPhone app I can read for awhile on my phone if I'm standing in line or something. and it will sync to the same location on the Kindle. I also read way more now than I ever did before. Battery lasts about 7-10 days with wireless on all the time, but I think the newer models last even longer.

I had a Sony Reader before that, but the Sony store was a pain to buy books from, and a pain to hook up the reader by USB.

alberchico

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:37 am

BTW is it possible to upload books that you have on your computer as pdf files onto these devices or are you forced to do all your shopping from their web marketplace ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Cadet985

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:26 am

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 8):
Battery lasts about 7-10 days with wireless on all the time, but I think the newer models last even longer.

Correct. I have the Kindle 3G. I did an experiment where I only turned my wireless on when I downloaded stuff, and the battery lasted over 3 weeks. Way better then I had expected, even after reading the specs from Amazon.

Marc

Nimish

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:38 am

I'm in this market as well - looking to buy a eReader. I can see the Sony PRS300 being sold really cheap (used) on craigslist - that's another model I'm considering.

The Kindle + the case works out to $174 with free shipping, and more if you want faster shipping! I wonder if the $10 leather cases on ebay are any good - they don't seem to have the mechanism to attach to the kindle at the spine though.

Quoting alberchico (Reply 9):
BTW is it possible to upload books that you have on your computer as pdf files onto these devices or are you forced to do all your shopping from their web marketplace ?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...display.html?nodeId=200505520usb - should be able to upload directly using USB.
Incredible India!

jetblueguy22

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I have the kindle and just love it. Over time it has actually paid itself off due to the books being cheaper. I've played with the nook for a little but I'm not much of a fan. Android is great. but just not on an e-reader. In regard to the Nook store being larger I read somewhere that it is bigger because it contains more books that are old and off copyright than the kindle store and that the kindle store actually has more books the average person would read.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

airportugal310

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Has anyone bought textbooks with it? Wondering if its as good as owning the actual textbook for classes...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

ArmitageShanks
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:22 pm

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Kindle. Thanks everyone for your help.

jwenting

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 13):
Has anyone bought textbooks with it? Wondering if its as good as owning the actual textbook for classes...

I've a dozen or so professional references on it for work. One of the reasons I bought it in fact  
For school, make sure the actual edition is identical to the one you're supposed to buy for your classes. And of course your page numbers (or location numbers on Kindle) will probably not match those of any printed edition.
I wish I were flying

golfradio

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Kindle is useless for PDFs. It tries to fit the full page onto the screen and in the process the font is unreadable. If you try to increase the font then it crops the page. The only way to read it a decent size is to change the orientation to landscape. But then you end up with just 5 lines per page.

CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

rfields5421

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 2):
I have the 3G version so I can download books anywhere, anytime. I don't think any of the others offer that

Nook does offer that option - just like it is an added cost option with the Kindle.

And I know many places, like my hometown in Arkansas, places we camp in the Ouachita Mountains, Colorado, Arizona - where neither will download. Of course cell phones don't work in those areas either.

My question about the 3G option which no one has been able to answer is what happens when you are in an area which offers data wireless service, but it is 2G or slower? Do the Kindle / Nook still download, just at slower speeds?

skidmarks

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm

I got a Kindle for Christmas. So far it's ok except for one thing. I downloaded an English-Norwegian dictionary from Amazon. All that worked great but, when you search a word, even one on the page you are on, it tells you it is not available!

Otherwise it's great, and I am sure I'll suss the dictionary soon. I wanted one as travelling backwards and forwards from the UK, toting books around is hard work, and I never need to worry about finding another if I finish one, I just download what I want.

Andy   
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

DeltaMD11

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:19 pm

I got a Kindle 3G for Christmas and absolutely love it. I was skeptical of the whole idea of being able to read it perfectly like a book in direct sunlight, but as others have said it works flawlessly. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a half-way decent cover to put it in which makes it easier to hold and read (and of course protects it). The 3G option is a) free and b) super fast. I have had no connectivity issues whatsoever. If you simply want an e-reader and not an "all-in-one, do everything, and even throw in the kitchen sink" like the iPad then I say go for it. Couldn't be more pleased with mine.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

JBirdAV8r

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:42 pm

At the risk of being flamed severely, I have an iPad that I use (partially) as an e-reader. If an e-reader is all you want, it's overkill though. I like it because you can get a Kindle app and a Nook app so you have an even greater selection of books.

The screen on the Kindle is amazing. It's like magic paper...I was completely impressed by it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with one.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

2H4

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Some questions about the Kindle:

When you purchase an e-book, where is it stored? Just on the device, or do you sync it with your PC, like iTunes? Are your e-books stored in the cloud at all?

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 2):
My Kindle is awesome, and I love it. I have the 3G version so I can download books anywhere, anytime.

I think I remember reading that you can access the web with it. Is this true? Is it possible to access gmail with it?
Intentionally Left Blank

jetblueguy22

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 21):
When you purchase an e-book, where is it stored? Just on the device, or do you sync it with your PC, like iTunes? Are your e-books stored in the cloud at all?

There is internal memory and as long as the wireless is turned on all pagemarks, notes, and highlights are also uploaded to Amazon. The record of your purchase is also kept on Amazon so if you upgrade you can redownload your book.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 21):
I think I remember reading that you can access the web with it. Is this true? Is it possible to access gmail with it?

It is true but the browser isn't what you call state of the art. Its okay if you are just doing general access. I use it to hop on twitter mobile after tests (teacher thinks I am always reading  ) but its not something that you can hop on Yahoo games and play poker with.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

2H4

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Quoting jetBlueguy22 (Reply 22):

Excellent, thanks very much for the info.
Intentionally Left Blank

fridgmus

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:44 pm

The Kindle DX is the larger version which was originally meant for students to view textbooks on. I have both the the DX and the 3G and absolutely love them!

I've had a Kindle since the first one came out and I just can't live without them. I have over 430 books on each of them! Once I purchase a book and it is downloaded to one of my Kindles, I can download the same book to my second that I have registered with them for no charge and Amazon maintains my Kindle library forever!

I honestly believe you will be happier with a Kindle!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

signol

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Another Kindle user here. I only got mine for Christmas, so still learning all its features, but so far very impressed. I have the Kindle Android app as well, which is fine to read a few pages when waiting for a bus, but hurts your eyes for much more than that.

Also, keep looking at the Kindle store for free books. As well as the free classics, there are loads of "regular" books that are free, and some that are free for promotional periods. Eg, there's a Dean Koontz one currently for nothing. My wife downloaded a chick lit book from one of her favourite authors for free as well, but a few days later it was up to normal price of £3ish.

signol

[Edited 2010-12-29 11:57:51]
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

hka098

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:20 am

I also received a Kindle for Christmas. I love it!

sw733

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:22 pm

I have a Kindle and use it about 300-325 days out of the year, both at home and while traveling. I absolutely love it. I have read it on a beach in the Caribbean in bright summer sun and had no issues whatsoever with clarity.

I have not used any other, but the Kindle is great in my book, especially for the money.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 8):
the iPhone app

Absolutely. I sync my Kindle, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G (which now acts simply as an iPod Touch after I got the iPhone 4) all together. When I work out, I make sure the "iPod Touch" is synced to the further part and I'll read it while on the stationary bike - very clear and easy to read.

Quoting Nimish (Reply 11):
I wonder if the $10 leather cases on ebay are any good

I have a Belkin case, and it does not connect physically to the Kindle, but it's great for my travel. Just slip it in, and then pull it back out when it's time to read (ahem...lets leave that statement as innocent as I meant it)

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neopren...e-Display-Generation/dp/B001NPDA44

I have not read textbooks, but I have read books that have an academic nature to them. Here's my thought - the charts and such, if there are some, are not the greatest. For example, I have some economics and engineering books on my Kindle and when there are graphs and charts, they don't come through as clear as one would like. But if you are reading, for example, a history book where it's just the occasional photograph/drawing, that would work just fine.

lowrider

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:22 pm

I also got a 3G kindle a few months ago and love it. On longer trips a shortage of reading material is sometimes an issue for me. No longer. I looked at the Nook as well, but liked the interface on the Kindle better. I have also been impressed by its battery life. I use it most days and only have to charge it once every 2 to 3 weeks.
Proud OOTSK member

alberchico

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:02 am

what about this model? Is it any good ?

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/augen-the-book-review.html
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Ken777

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:26 am

I was given a Kindle for Christmas and I'm very impressed with it.

My only frustration is that game are still being played on pricing in this market. Amazon notified me that a new W.E.B. Griffin book was out and the Kindle version was about 50¢ MORE expensive than the hardback version.

jwenting

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:03 am

Ken, that's the problem with the licensing of eBooks by publishers.
The eBook price is set by the publisher, no discounting allowed. The hardback price is set by Amazon, discounted often 30% of so off the publisher "recommended" price.

So the Kindle version is about 25-30% lower than the publisher price for the hardback.
I wish I were flying

2H4

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:53 pm

There's one main reason I've held off on purchasing an e-reader for so long. Although the price of an e-book is competitive with a new hardcover or softcover, they can't even come close to competing with the prices of what I usually purchase....used books.
Intentionally Left Blank

lowrider

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 32):
used books.

That an library books were a mainstay for me too. The offset for me is a lighter bag on trips, and fewer books lying around the house.
Proud OOTSK member

Kent350787

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:44 am

Personally, I have a Kobo 2, and am pretty happy with it, but I only read books. Do libraries in the US and UK lend eBooks, as they do here in Australia (usually epubs, which aren't directly Kindle compatible, but quite OK on the Kobo.

fridgmus

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:42 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 32):
There's one main reason I've held off on purchasing an e-reader for so long. Although the price of an e-book is competitive with a new hardcover or softcover, they can't even come close to competing with the prices of what I usually purchase....used books.

You make a good point 2H4, but the main reason I like my Kindle is that I can carry over 400 (with lots of room remaining!) books in something as small as a notebook. Working overseas, we don't have much of a library at any given base nor the space to keep them and given that I am a voracious reader this is one piece of technology that suits me just fine!

Happy New Year Buddy

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!