Kiwirob
Topic Author

We Was Brung Up Propper

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:15 pm

I recieved this email from a friend today, it's so true, my childhood in the 70's and 80's was just like this.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes....

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle....

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with. We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because.......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd films, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms...........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

[Edited 2011-01-17 09:20:25]

[Edited 2011-01-17 09:22:13]

fr8mech

RE: We Was Brung Up Propper

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Thread starter):
RUGBY and CRICKET

I didn't play Rugby or Cricket, but did play 3-second hold football (on the street) and 2-sewer stickball.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Fly2HMO

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

I can relate to a lot of the stuff, even though I was born in the early 80's right at the dawn of the stupidification of the planet, political correctness, media sensationalism and idiotic consumerism.   

IMissPiedmont

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 pm

ate blue cheese

What's wrong with that ?

Only girls had pierced ears!

Now, it's the other way ' round.

We ate worms and mud pies made from d

Good stuff they are, worms are pure protein and they quit wiggling after just a few bites.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 3):
What's wrong with that ?

Some blue cheese is made form unpasturised milk, which you're not supposed to eat when pregnant.

zanl188

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:44 pm

'Course the good old days weren't always so good...

I knew kids who didn't see their teens who might've with a proper car seat....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

signol

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Not wanting to dampen the parade, but I agree with

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 5):

Yes we may have survived all the above, but plenty of people didn't. Nowadays, more people are surviving.

(nothing wrong with mud pies and eating worms though - builds up the immune system!)

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

ALTF4

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:35 pm

We Was Brung Up Propper

Sounds like you all had a hell of a time, but at least I know how to speak and write properly.

The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

KFLLCFII

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 2):
I can relate to a lot of the stuff, even though I was born in the early 80's right at the dawn of the stupidification of the planet, political correctness, media sensationalism and idiotic consumerism.

Last generation to experience life before the internet.   
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

vikkyvik

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Big deal. I had a great freaking childhood (in the 80s and 90s), but I'm not so arrogant as to think it was better than kids' lives today. Or worse than kids' lives in the 50s or 60s.

First of all, trying to group the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s together is utterly ridiculous.

Secondly, someone who grew up in 1910 could say the same thing: that people from the, say, 50s were spoiled brats who didn't have to deal with any negativity. And then someone who grew up in 1870 would say that people from 1910 were spoiled brats who didn't have to deal with any negativity. And so on and so forth.

Quoting signol (Reply 6):

Yes we may have survived all the above, but plenty of people didn't. Nowadays, more people are surviving.

I also wholeheartedly agree with that.

Perhaps they should have added another line:

"We had a higher mortality rate, but we LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!!!"

While they're at it, may as well add:

"We smoked cigarettes for 50 years and got emphysema and lung cancer, but we LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!!!"

That would probably put a bit of a damper on the email.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Dreadnought

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Thus putting Darwin's Theory to the test. Presumably those kids that died doing all that stupid sh&t (I have to say I came close a few times) would be the really dumb ones (the "Hey guys, watch this!" crowd), or else the offspring of the dumb ones, who would presumably carry the genes for that stupidity. Now they are living to reproduce, and the inevitable conclusion, if Darwin was anywhere near right, is that the nanny state is resulting in an increasingly stupid population, on average.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

cedarjet

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:35 pm

I was born in 1972, so all of this applies to me. I think we had it better than today's kids. Internet is really amazing, I would say it's on the same level as powered flight or telephones, but I'm so glad I grew up without it, cos it meant I was outdoors playing, and when I was indoors, I read books. Would also add, I didn't know anyone who fell fowl of the lack of "health and safety" culture. There may have been a few broken bones along the way (not me but I do recall signing a few casts at school) but with the exception of one kid at school who was hit by a car (I was 5, he always will be) which could just as easily happen now, it wasn't like we were dropping like flies. If anything, the obsession with food safety / "security" / crime / terrorism / sex crime / climate / politics etc, life seems more fragile these days.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

DocLightning

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 10):
if Darwin was anywhere near right, is that the nanny state is resulting in an increasingly stupid population, on average.

I must agree with that. "Stupidity, when protected, breeds." -attributed to Mark Twain
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):
Big deal. I had a great freaking childhood (in the 80s and 90s), but I'm not so arrogant as to think it was better than kids' lives today. Or worse than kids' lives in the 50s or 60s.

No one is saying we are any better (or worse) for growing up at that time. Just that it was different and, some of us feel, that kids are way too protected today or too spoiled or too caught up in our lives to enjoy their childhood.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
I must agree with that. "Stupidity, when protected, breeds." -attributed to Mark Twain

That one I will repeat. Thank you.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

mwhcvt

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Well as Vintage 1985 I can say that I can relate to most of that, but then I was raised well by my parents, yes they help me out and they support me when I need up, but I have never expected a hand out from my parents. I played out as a child and stopped out for hours without contact with my parents, yes I live in a small village but I have many friends and family of my age that live in the city and they were not sheltered or nannied as some would have it said.

So to those that are on there high horse looking down on us the younger generation, please get down now before you fall off and break your hip        

Matt
MWHCVT
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 11):
Internet is really amazing, I would say it's on the same level as powered flight or telephones, but I'm so glad I grew up without it, cos it meant I was outdoors playing, and when I was indoors, I read books.

I'm a 73 model myself, when I look back at my school photos there aren't any fat kids, when I look at children today the numbers of chubbies makes me sad, I put it down to the internet, tv and gaming, we didn't have this stuff when I was young, my dad even owned a computer shop and we didn't own a computer until I was 13, I rode my bike and played outside.

My kids watch tv and dvd's but they don't have a gaming machine, I dislike it when we go around to friends homes and their 4/5/6 years olds are playing nintendo or wii.

IMissPiedmont

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 15):
there aren't any fat kids

In the early 60s there was always 1 fat boy and 1 fat girl in every grade level. No more and no less. It was quite odd.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):
Some blue cheese is made form unpasturised milk

And some "health freaks" only by unpasteurized milk, all milk is disgusting when you think of it (it's really just pus) but when made into bleu cheese or extra sharp cheddar it's quite tasty.   

Especially when melted over fresh worms.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 am

I'm a 73 model myself, when I look back at my school photos there aren't any fat kids, when I look at children today the numbers of chubbies makes me sad, I put it down to the internet, tv and gaming, we didn't have this stuff when I was young, my dad even owned a computer shop and we didn't own a computer until I was 13, I rode my bike and played outside.

I was out from 10am until sun down most weekends and summer days. When the sun went down we either played Man Hunt (a neighborhood big tag type game) or I went to play video games. But bottom line was I couldn't be kept in the house, hell I even biked 6 miles to my middle school a few times. The only time I was at home I was either eating, sleeping, playing in the pool, or shooting hoops.
Go big or go home

BMI727

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 am

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

I remember my mom taking me to get tested for lead. The four year old me didn't think it was fun at all.

when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets

My mom became obsessed with helmets after my brother had his tonsils removed and shared a hospital room with a boy who suffered a head injury in a bike accident.

Our parents didn't invent names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

I think that there kids like that probably need to be taken from their parents. Also parents who misspell names to be interesting. Apparently one mom gave her kid a strange name because she had seen it on some guy's tattoo.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
"Stupidity, when protected, breeds." -attributed to Mark Twain

Rather prophetic from a man who lived in an age before trailer parks.

I dislike it when we go around to friends homes and their 4/5/6 years olds are playing nintendo or wii.

What's better than getting together with the guys and killing hookers on Grand Theft Auto?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Tugger

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 am

When did it become a requirement to drive all kids to school? For Elementary and Junior High and even most of High school, I walked or rode a bike. Nowadays all elementary aged children seem to get dropped off at school, while many Juniors highers (or middle schoolers or whatever they are called now) get driven as

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

n229nw

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:50 am

Some of this is right, and some of it is just bs...

like being against seatbelts, or not realizing the extent of potential damage of drinking when pregnant. Look up the prognoses for kids born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

So I agree totally with these posts:

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):

I also wholeheartedly agree with that.

Perhaps they should have added another line:

"We had a higher mortality rate, but we LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!!!"

While they're at it, may as well add:

"We smoked cigarettes for 50 years and got emphysema and lung cancer, but we LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!!!"

That would probably put a bit of a damper on the email.

Right. And don't forget to add things from earlier too, like "we had 12 kids because we knew that half of them wouldn't make it out of infancy and others would die young from other diseases and accidents, but we LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!!!"

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 10):
Thus putting Darwin's Theory to the test. Presumably those kids that died doing all that stupid sh&t (I have to say I came close a few times) would be the really dumb ones (the "Hey guys, watch this!" crowd), or else the offspring of the dumb ones,

Great compassion! So kids with dumb parents don't deserve a chance in life? And by the way, when you say you came close a few times, are you admitting that luck plays a large role in these things? Or are you saying you deserved to be taken out of the gene pool?
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

zanl188

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 19):
When did it become a requirement to drive all kids to school? For Elementary and Junior High and even most of High school, I walked or rode a bike. Nowadays all elementary aged children seem to get dropped off at school, while many Juniors highers (or middle schoolers or whatever they are called now) get driven as

I have neighbors that will drive their kids half a block to the bus stop & then sit and wait with them 'til the bus comes. Which I understand on a cold or rainy day & possibly with the very young kids. But everyday, rain or shine, up to and including high school kids? Can't practice those social skills sitting in Mom's car.....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 20):
Great compassion! So kids with dumb parents don't deserve a chance in life? And by the way, when you say you came close a few times, are you admitting that luck plays a large role in these things? Or are you saying you deserved to be taken out of the gene pool?

The classic bleeding heart response... There is nothing compassionate or dispassionate about it - this is a scientific and logical certainty. Mother nature is designed, as Darwin said, for survival of the fittest. A being which is stupid or weak compared to his peers is more likely to die without having the chance to procreate. The inevitable result of sophisticated postnatal care, child-proof gun-locks and electric plug guards, and laws barring any activity where a kid might get hurt or even offended (like grade-less schools, elimination of scoring, no winners or losers), is successive generations of people getting dumber and dumber, and who have less and less that they can even teach their own kids.

The same thing with medical care for seniors. 100 years ago the life expectancy was 45 years old. Now it's coming up to 80 and headed north. One day when we defeat cancer, Alzheimers and Parkinson's, what will society look like when half the adult population is retired? Do we raise the retirement age to 90?

Forget your emotional response - it is not relevant to the question and, from your response, indicates a refusal to look facts in the face. I'm not advocating the withholding of these services - just saying we should recognize the unintended consequences.

n229nw

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:45 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 22):
Forget your emotional response - it is not relevant to the question and, from your response, indicates a refusal to look facts in the face. I'm not advocating the withholding of these services - just saying we should recognize the unintended consequences.

No, it is totally relevant. For one thing, social Darwinism and evolutionary Darwinism are only tangentially related, and the former has a rather checkered history, to put it as nicely as possible. Furthermore, sure there are people who are stupid and for whom it is hard to feel compassion when they take themselves out (drunk drivers for example), but there is also a great deal of blind luck involved in such matters. You say you did dumb things and came through; others don't come through periods of risk-taking; and yet others are more careful than most, but make one small mistake that turns out to be fatal, etc. I hope that you never, ever lose a child, but if you ever did, and it happened to be an accident that was preventable, I doubt that you would blame their genes. I certainly hope not.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 22):
The inevitable result of sophisticated postnatal care, child-proof gun-locks and electric plug guards, and laws barring any activity where a kid might get hurt or even offended (like grade-less schools, elimination of scoring, no winners or losers), is successive generations of people getting dumber and dumber, and who have less and less that they can even teach their own kids.
That is actually the emotional response that refuses to look facts in the face, since evidence does not indicate that humans are getting dumber. In fact, the opposite. Sadly, with the speed of information these days, stupidity is much more evident, but that is different from the average intelligence falling.

The other parts of your post (about longer life-spans, etc., I agree with). These are major problems and decisions we will have to face as a society.

And I also don't like the law-suit driven rules and regulations stopping people from doing simple things that aren't even dangerous, or that should be the parent's discretion. There is a happy medium between letting your kid ride on your lap in the front seat on the highway with no seat belt, and refusing to let them wait for a bus by themselves when they are teenagers. There is a happy medium too between coddling children so much that you never let them make their own mistakes or experience growth through failure, and cruel, hazing competitions and rituals. That is all I'm saying. Both extremes are ridiculous and harmful to children.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:00 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
No one is saying we are any better (or worse) for growing up at that time. Just that it was different and, some of us feel, that kids are way too protected today or too spoiled or too caught up in our lives to enjoy their childhood.

I understand that. And, as I stated, I'm sure every generation feels the same way about the next.

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 17):
When the sun went down we either played Man Hunt

Nice! We did too.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

pipo777

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 am

My kids watch tv and dvd's but they don't have a gaming machine, I dislike it when we go around to friends homes and their 4/5/6 years olds are playing nintendo or wii.

while I agree that what you say it's a big part of the problem there are other factors that must be taken into account. I've had video game consoles since I can remember (atari, nintendo, SNES, Nintendo 64 and now PS3) but my parents always encouraged me to play sports, I've played competitive baseball, tennis, golf, soccer, indoor soccer, volley ball (never professionally but at a decent level) and I can't remember a single time that I missed a game or match to play video games. I think parents are a big part of the problem.

Also, the food has changed...nowadays is harder to get fresh food, everything is processed, frozen, pre-cooked and the fact that people's priorities have changed a lot and everyone is so involved with working all the time and making money that young people CAN'T cook for s..t. For example, most of my friends have university degrees and work full time but 80% wouldn't be able to cook a half decent fresh meal. This means their kids will be eating a lot of crap! cereal loaded with sugar, frozen and microwave dinners and lot of take-away.

Political correctness has it's part too...I think it's BS that we tell kids they are fine the way they are no matter how fat they are when we all know it's unhealthy!!!!!

So while I agree that the internet and video games can take from the time we used to play outside, I think the main problem these days are the lazy/selfish parents that are more concerned with their jobs and what they want than the health and future of their kids...Of course not all parents are lazy, some families need both parents working but that's another problem.

I HIGHLY recommend Jamie Oliver's TED speech to everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwrV5e6fMY

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 23):
You say you did dumb things and came through; others don't come through periods of risk-taking; and yet others are more careful than most, but make one small mistake that turns out to be fatal, etc. I hope that you never, ever lose a child, but if you ever did, and it happened to be an accident that was preventable, I doubt that you would blame their genes. I certainly hope not.

Firstly, about my dumb acts, I credit my survival to the fact that I wasn't quite dumb enough to get myself killed.

Secondly, I have in fact lost a child. My son Laurent died at age 15 in his sleep of a heart defect that we knew nothing about. This particular defect is asymptomatic and is undetectable without a cardioangiogram (which would never be run unless there were external symptoms, of which there are none). It occurs in less than 1 in 100,000 people, and 80% of affected persons die before age 20. And it is a genetic defect, although we don't know anyone in our families with the problem.

So imagine if we institute cardioangiogram screening for all babies, and their life expectancy goes up to 40 instead of 20? The logical conclusion would be that we would dramatically increase the incidence of the disease.

If you think I'm being rather cold, well, I've had 12 years to learn to deal with Laurent's death. His 27th birthday would have been last Saturday. But facts are facts - he was 'selected' not to survive from the day he was born.

AGM100

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 26):
My son Laurent died at age 15 in his sleep of a heart defect that we knew nothing about

My god , sorry to read that Dreadnought. I again thank God for the good health of my beautiful children .... "Laurent" what a cool name .

Topic : ....

We worked ...we worked hard and never really thought about it . We didn't know any different .

By the time I was 18 .... I carried bricks on a construction sight , I dug footers for foundations , I did landscaping , I painted houses , I dug settement out of irrigation ditches , I rode along with my dad an learned how to operate a tow truck, I learned how to MIG weld , I learned how to operate a band saw , a paint booth and how to prepare a car for paint ; I replaced toilets and sinks ... learned how to clear and fix a septic tank , I sat nights and watched over a elderly Alzheimer patient , I baby sat my little brothers and sisters .... and still played football , baseball and had girlfriends ...

My kids .... they don't do much and it is my fault . !!!
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

akiss20

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 pm

You know as a member of this so called "terrible generation" I am getting pretty sick of being told people my age will never amount to anything and that we are all lazy and coddled and can't understand the world. I work damn hard, I maintain a 5.0/5.0 at MIT while working at the IT department and doing research in the Gas Turbine Laboratory. In highschool I wasn't out getting smashed or partying or wasting time, I was studying and working practically all day and most of the weekend. While it's true I may not be typical, how many of the supposed "great generation" can claim the above? And I know a lot of people like me, all of my friends for one.

Also, whose generation's actions led to oil scarcity, rampant abuse and waste of natural resources, wars, and economic crisis? I am not saying we are necessarily any better, but look in the mirror before you cast us off as worthless. We have to try fix the crap you guys screwed up, so instead of just berating us, how about you try and encourage and teach us to tackle the problems you left us with?

Thanks
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

ALTF4

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 28):
You know as a member of this so called "terrible generation" I am getting pretty sick of being told people my age will never amount to anything and that we are all lazy and coddled and can't understand the world. I work damn hard, I maintain a 5.0/5.0 at MIT while working at the IT department and doing research in the Gas Turbine Laboratory. In highschool I wasn't out getting smashed or partying or wasting time, I was studying and working practically all day and most of the weekend. While it's true I may not be typical, how many of the supposed "great generation" can claim the above? And I know a lot of people like me, all of my friends for one.

Unfortunately, people like you and I are few and far between. I'm in a similar position as you are (ok, ok I 'only' have a 3.97/4.0 GPA), work MORE than many adults (60 hrs a week) plus take 12 to 18 credits, depending on the classes.

Oh, and I volunteer minimum 8 hrs a week.

So, while I get pissed when people start harassing me just because I'm a 'kid', they aren't completely without fault to do so. That said, I wonder how much of it is just a change in perspective - maybe the generations (excluding technology) are quite similar. Did they really spend so much of their time doing their homework as they claim? Did they really enjoy spending time with their families, even though our generation is faulted for not appreciated family?

Meanwhile, while we get belittled for spending the whole day on facebook, many of their generation spend the whole day in front of the TV watching soap operas, reality shows, or football games.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely fault to be found in my generation, but I do have to agree with AKiss.

DeltaMD90

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 pm

You know as a member of this so called "terrible generation" I am getting pretty sick of being told people my age will never amount to anything and that we are all lazy and coddled and can't understand the world.

Like ALTF4 said, we are a rare breed. I'm getting my Bachelors in a total 2 2/3 years and I'm mad I didn't make it shorter (because I had plenty of opportunity to.) I have only a 3.91 or something because I messed around too much my first semester. I had so much more I could've done yet I'm light years ahead of my peers! Keep your course because us 3 will big contributors to society. I used to wonder why I of all people was so gifted. I realize now that because I got so much I need to give just as much back and help others. There are exceptions (you are one of them obviously) but I do think this generation is very lazy. I saw so many of my peers play Call of Duty instead of studying/writing papers/etc and I cannot feel bad for them at all.

AGM100

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:09 pm

We have to try fix the crap you guys screwed up, so instead of just berating us, how about you try and encourage and teach us to tackle the problems you left us with?

Thanks

Akiss .... make no mistake I see the problems that some in your generation have as entirely the fault of my generation and some late boomers. It is not my kids fault that they have comfort and do not have to do what I had to do . I worked hard to give them the life they have and as I get I older I wonder what the hell for . We were poor ... and we didn't care, we just made due with what we had . I admire those in your generation who do work hard ... you are exceptional and deserve credit.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 29):
That said, I wonder how much of it is just a change in perspective - maybe the generations (excluding technology) are quite similar.

My guess is that 75% of it is just a change in perspective.

Hell, I'm about to turn 29, and my view of the world has changed pretty dramatically over the last 5 years or so.

I spent a decent amount of my childhood indoors playing computer games and Nintendo. But who wrote, designed, marketed, and sold these games to me? Who made thousands and millions of dollars off of computer/video game sales? Who invested in commercials, billboards, internet ads, etc. to get kids to buy their games?

I'll give you a hint: it wasn't my 8-year-old peers.

So somebody in a past generation (probably many somebodies) are quite happy that I spent part of my childhood sitting in front of a computer or TV.

In the same way, I don't really blame the current young generation for their apparent fixation on reality TV and all that crap. People in my generation and above are saturating them with it.

As usual with kids, though, it comes down to parenting. Don't want your kids to be TV zombies? Don't let them watch TV for 8 hours a day.

Certainly, generations are different and have different generic interests. Change is the only certainty.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 30):
I'm getting my Bachelors in a total 2 2/3 years and I'm mad I didn't make it shorter

It took me 9 years to finish my Bachelor's degree, for various reasons. Nevertheless, I don't feel at all that I'm a bad person, or a waste, or anything like that. Obviously, I wish I'd finished in 4 years, but life doesn't always go the way you planned.

flyerboy1990

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:19 am

Despite being born in 1990, I always thought it would have been great to grow up in the 60s or 70s. The only problem I have with the time period is the racial stuff. Actually, I may not have survived very long (I don't know how they put up with that s***)!

I agree with many of the cultural things, like families eating dinner around a table EVERY night and kids playing outside until dusk. I can relate with some of that. But I am much more thankful for the technological, medical, and safety advances of my time.
Flown in: 712, 722, 73G, 738, 752, DC10, CR2, CR9, A319, A320 Want to fly in: A330, 767, 777, MD80, E170 series

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:25 am

Quoting flyerboy1990 (Reply 33):
I don't know how they put up with that s***

It's simple - they LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!!!

flyerboy1990

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:36 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 34):
Quoting flyerboy1990 (Reply 33):
I don't know how they put up with that s***

It's simple - they LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!!!

And that they did!   
Flown in: 712, 722, 73G, 738, 752, DC10, CR2, CR9, A319, A320 Want to fly in: A330, 767, 777, MD80, E170 series

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 am

Replace "fish and chips" with "Currywurst and chips" and "Rugby and cricket" with "football" and you´ll have Germany in the 1970s (myself having been born in the mid 1960s).
The only thing was that my mother had to work as well, but when we were really young (preschool age) a friend of my mother, who had two children of her own, would babysit us, while later we were given keys to the house.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 am

I used to wonder why I of all people was so gifted.

And modest too. If I was a religious man I'd be inclinded to say some crap like "pride comes before the fall".

signol

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 37):

And modest too. If I was a religious man I'd be inclinded to say some crap like "pride comes before the fall".

Perhaps the word that comes to mind is, "Bazinga!"

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

ALTF4

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Well, if you beat up on people, naturally they are going to defend themselves. What did you want him to say?

"Oh, my goodness - look at how worthless I am - I am a failure of a human, as is the rest of my generation. Forgive me, great generations that came before me, for my mistakes".

skidmarks

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:07 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 36):
Currywurst and chips

One of the best things to ever come out of Germany. I was stationed there three times in the 70's, 80's and 90's, and when I went to Berlin a couple of years ago the first thing I did was have Currywurst mit frites!

As child of the 50's (1953 to be precise) I can empathise with much of the e-mail. I never knew my father, my mothers various boyfriends either ignored me or delighted me - the signalman on the railway was a wonderful man who allowed me to play almost on the track - 'Elf and Safety?

Not everything was rosy - shortage of money and luxuries made life slightly unpleasant but we COULD play out all day, I COULD cycle from Horley (near gatwick) to Portsmouth at 12 years old, on my own, on a normal pushbike without anyone going into fits. I DID walk to school when the bus didn't turn up, even in the snow of '62 (or was it '63 - memory isn't quite as accurate as it could be)

But we didn't starve because the shops shut, we did get a bollocking from the local policaman if we rode without lights, threw sand on the railway line or even worse, swore in front of a woman.

But now, children apparently face threats from everywhere, making it impossible to enjoy themselves without electronic aids. They daren't go out because the perverts that were ostracised in the middle of the century are now able to roam the streets and grab them. The internet allows all sorts of filth and perversions to be available and standards in manners, service and expectations have hit an all time low.

I sometimes wonder what happened as things became plentiful and money more available with credit and loans. It would appear that as we got richer, our standards lowered and we drifted into the mire of the money-mad decades after the 60's

But, at 57, I am healthy-ish. No serious faults apart from middle aged spread and impending arthritis. All on an upbringing that would today be classed as irresponsible and disgusting.

The world needs to wise up or we'll go the same way as all the great empires went, down the pan.

Andy   
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

mayor

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Being born in 1947, I have a different perspective than most of the younger ones on here. I think you're taking the list in the original post way too seriously and I don't look at it as an indictment of the younger generation, but moreso of our society, in general. It is just showing that many of the things that we experienced as youngsters DIDN'T kill us but that probably would be frowned upon, today or scare most parents, today.

I think the biggest lesson to remember is to learn from the past. You don't have to accept all of it, but respect that part of the past that is okay. Also, respect those that have lived in the past and they'll, more than likely, respect you and what you have accomplished.

For those that indict us for leaving you with a destroyed planet and not much future to look forward to, I apologize. Having said that, I also know that much good was done by those in my generation and before that you more than likely don't know about. You don't have to worry about catching polio, now, because of Jonas Salk's vaccine. Many in my generation developed the surgical and medical procedures that now allow you (and me) to enjoy a much longer life than they did in the 1800s and early 1900s.

I think I can sum this all up by leaving you with this. My mother was born in 1909, into a family of 10 children. All of them lived to a ripe old age. My mother died at age 93 and yet most of the things on that list she probably did or a form of it and she survived. People look at things like that, now and wonder how it could happen. I really don't know but I do know that, in my mind, most of that stuff isn't as harmful as you think it is, it's just that society says it is.

BTW, for those of you on here that are going to college and applying yourself and getting excellent grades, I admire you and respect you. YOU will be our leaders of the future. Just don't dismiss the past, ok?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 pm

You know, I didn't even want to post this really. I hate talking about myself like that because it sounds like boasting and I hate boasting very much. Shoulda just sent that as a PM. I'll suggest my comment be deleted.

Edit: what I meant was I was very lucky to have been born in the town I was, to the parents I had, with no physical/mental ailments, and instead of wondering why I was (I guess gifted was a bad word), I should try and help others

[Edited 2011-01-19 13:33:46]

fridgmus

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:48 am

Quoting pipo777 (Reply 25):

I HIGHLY recommend Jamie Oliver's TED speech to everyone.
OUTSTANDING Pipo!

I was born in 1961 and I hardly ever spent any free time in the house! Even in bad weather, we'd go out and climb into our tree fort and play. And I walked to school, by myself or with friends, even in the rain. I could go on forever. Damn, those were good times.

I just sent it out to all my friends.

Thanks,

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Aesma

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 2):

I agree. And I wouldn't put the change on government either, it has happened in all the western world, with all kinds of governments. A global "pussification". I'm from 1983 but my parents had not much money because my father was divorced and had alimony to pay while he was working on his Ph.D, while my mother was a high school teacher (job security, but low salary, especially at the beginning of the career). We didn't lack anything really, we just had crappy used cars that always broke down, and no TV until the 90's. I learned how to read with my parents and spend lots of my childhood reading thousands of book, while a lot of my peers didn't read any, even when forced to. I played outside too, and have the scars to prove it. I did tricks with my BMX without a helmet (stupid when you think of it, a helmet is not such a hassle).

I was also a boy scout, in an old school troop that didn't mix boys and girls, and we wore the original Baden Powell uniform (shorts even in the snow, funny hat, etc.). Nowadays scouts can't do anything, fire are hazards, the leaders must have all kinds of diplomas, harmless hazings are forbidden, leaving a scout alone to test his orientation skills is unthinkable... Once we made a great hike in the alps, when we showed the pictures to the parents some were mad at the "danger" we faced, now there would be no hike to begin with.

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 11):
one kid at school who was hit by a car (I was 5, he always will be) which could just as easily happen now

Now he would be hit by a 5000lbs SUV.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams