2707200X
Topic Author

Walmart's New Font And Logo

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:32 pm

For as long as I can remember, Walmart's big block letters and star in the middle have been a symbol of the stores utilitarian, basic and conservative image of discount merchandising. Is Walmart's new font and asterisk an attempt to revitalize its utilitarian image to something more urbane, hip and modern or is it just a chance of font with the same old plain image?

At my local Walmart in Long Beach I have seen an expansion of the food selection especially with frozen and fresh foods, a redesigning of the aisles and the deletion of the McDonald's inside the store.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Mortyman

RE: Walmart's New Font And Logo

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 pm

From what I have heard Walmart is now gonna focus more on healthy food...

desertjets

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:47 pm

There was something in the news about Walmart trying to sell healthier foods. I've always found their produce selection to be somewhat weak, especially given the sheer size of the produce section in most of their super centers. The Smith's (Kroger) in my area have less space devoted to produce but have a better variety of product.

Quoting 2707200X (Thread starter):
Is Walmart's new font and asterisk an attempt to revitalize its utilitarian image to something more urbane, hip and modern or is it just a chance of font with the same old plain image?

Despite being the largest retailer in the world Walmart has a horrible image problem. most market research shows that on average Walmart customers have lower incomes, lower education levels. Changing their image to attract more affluent customers seems like a no-brainer. But getting them to buy their made in China crap at Walmart instead of Target may prove to be difficult. Walmart really needs to work on a lot of things besides a hipper logo to pull that off. I always loathe going into Walmart, just not the most pleasing place to shop.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

OA412

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 2):
I've always found their produce selection to be somewhat weak, especially given the sheer size of the produce section in most of their super centers.

Same here. Their produce section covers quite a large area, but their selection is weak, and the quality is iffy at best. I've seen a bin full of completely limp parsley on more than one occasion, and it's almost impossible to find mushrooms that are not covered in brown spots. The list goes on and on.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 2):
Walmart really needs to work on a lot of things besides a hipper logo to pull that off. I always loathe going into Walmart, just not the most pleasing place to shop.

Exactly. I hate shopping at Walmart. The parking lot is always full, the lines at the register are always long, and their cashiers are some of the slowest I've ever encountered.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

2707200X
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 pm

I will not buy any electronics at Walmart. About a year ago I bought a Sunbeam desk fan from Walmart and lo-and-behold when I turned it on the propeller hub was not connected to the motor, something inside the hub was broken.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 4):
I will not buy any electronics at Walmart. About a year ago I bought a Sunbeam desk fan from Walmart and lo-and-behold when I turned it on the propeller hub was not connected to the motor, something inside the hub was broken.

And somehow the incorrectly assembled fan is Wal Mart's fault and not Sunbeam's?

2707200X
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 5):
And somehow the incorrectly assembled fan is Wal Mart's fault and not Sunbeam's?

I guess you have a better experience at Walmart's electronics than I do.

Aeroflot777

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Wasn't the logo changed quite a while ago, like back in 2009?

Aeroflot777

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:03 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 6):
I guess you have a better experience at Walmart's electronics than I do.

The computer I am using came from WalMart no problems after five (5) years.

But you didn't answer my question, do you really think WalMart is a fault because Sunbeam did attach the propeller to the motor.

Additionally, WalMart has a excellent return policy, did you ever think of taking the fan back?

2707200X
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:53 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 8):

No, not for the manufacturing but sales as the product in part represents the store. I got a full refund, no questions asked but I did explain the problem.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 7):

The adverts and logos on the bag began the change in 2009, but the modifications did not come until mid last year.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:09 am

New stores and major remodels since 2008 have been going to the 'new' logo. Many of the new stores are 'supercenters' with food supermarkets, with hot and cold ready to eat or heat and eat prepared foods, some smaller units have expanded their food items.

As to the hate toward Walmart, are they really any different than Target, Sears/K-Mart, most grocery chains, fast food/resturant chains, most 'big box' stores, or Macy's as toward their employees or putting pressure on suppliers so more comes from China and 3rd world countries? I don't think so but for thier size.

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:08 am

Quoting 2707200X (Thread starter):
Is Walmart's new font and asterisk an attempt to revitalize its utilitarian image to something more urbane, hip and modern or is it just a chance of font with the same old plain image?

“The softer, rounded lines of the letters communicate the caring approach we’ve always taken to the communities we serve,” is what Walmart said at the time. I dunno, I just don't get all warm and fuzzy thinking about the big W.
International Homo of Mystery

af773atmsp

Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:20 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):

Caring approach to communities? Like the small communities that turn from a few local shops and stores to nothing but a giant Walmart?
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

swissy

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:05 pm

I do not care too much what kind of "average consumer" Walmart has..., just before x-mas the new food section opened at our local Walmart turning it into a super center, long story short... our family is saving on average 100-140$ a week on groceries compare to the other store we went before, 90% of the time we are even getting the same product/brand at Walmart with a great price difference, their fresh produce is not bad at all for its size compare to the other store, allot of goods are from local producers ...

Cheerios,

BMIFlyer

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:30 pm

I have no issues shopping at Walmart. Heck I even bought my iPad there in November. I've been to a Walmart store in nearly every US state now 
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

yfbflyer

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 am

The logo redesign was in order to appeal to women shoppers. Research found that women home makers were their largest customers. After numerious focus groups the curent rounded font and sun logo were chosen

N1120A

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 12):

Caring approach to communities? Like the small communities that turn from a few local shops and stores to nothing but a giant Walmart?

Exactly. And turning those people who formerly owned a small business into low wage unskilled labor who Walmart still takes illegal liberties with as far as pay working conditions.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss