Tugger

RE: US Secession

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 35):
For example, California listed above - they can feed themselves, they can produce a lot of consumer good, but they cannot supply their own energy needs to keep that economy.

Actually California has among the largest energy reserves in the USA. Of course quite a few states have larger reserves but California is up there.

Quoting mayor (Reply 37):
Nor can they supply their own water needs.

Actually we can. Though we have not significantly tapped it yet, desalination is becoming more and more of a viable option here. We still have battles with enviro-nuts but progress is being made.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
1) The US can't either. It imports.

Funny, that.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 47):
Quoting N1120A (Reply 46):
The only teeth gnashing is over you calling a check and cheque, eh ya freaking hoser?

It's the difference between Americanese and English.

I thought Canada spoke Canukian and Quebecian .... of course it's not nearly as bad as those damned Newfie's.

Quoting mayor (Reply 48):
Seeing as how you are at the bottom of the food chain, so to speak, if the upstream states decided not to let you have the water, what do you do then? I don't think you're going to TAKE, anything.

With the availability of desalination (and believe me it will become even more "available" if water upstream were cut off) California could reverse the current flow of the water and become a net provider of water for the "inland states" going into the future as they grow and develop and if any droughts happen.

I am not advocating that CA should secede, nor that it would be better off. Not saying that at all. But California does have a great abundance of resources available to it that few other states have. We are quite fortunate in this.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

mayor

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 50):
As it is, we take less from the Colorado that we are entitled to.

Entitled?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Airport

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm

For my own selfish reasons, I would like to see something like this:

Though I would also include all of British Columbia, all of Alaska, and perhaps the Yukon as well. For one, I think the United States has become to big and too complex to be run as one single country, and what I think would help would be is if the United States seperated into 4 or 5 sovereign nations, and those countries, along with Canada and Mexico, would form a union much like the European Union. More and more, I just think the U.S. has become too politically and culturally diverse to form a "one-size-fits-all" government.

As far as why these states and provinces should unite, I think geographically, and culturally these areas have so much in common with each other that it would be relatively easy to get an unified, efficient government working. If Alaska, Yukon, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Idaho united into one nation, it'd be a pretty powerful sustainable economy, with a government that's a lot easier to manage, since there are so many cultural and politcal similarities. And because Cascadia is a cool sounding word.  

Obviously it's not going to happen, but I think it would be interesting to see. I love hypotheticals like this.  

Cheers!
Anthony/Airport

Tugger

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 52):
Entitled?

Yes, there is treaty in place that states how the water is to be distributed among all the parties along the length of the river. The Colorado River Compact. It has been in place since 1922 and has been through several renegotiation cycles over the years. It is quite complex as you can guess has been a point of contention over the years.

Per the treaty, California is entitled to 58.7% of the lower Colorado river basin.

All the laws, regulations, treaties, and compacts together are known as "The Law of the River."
http://wwa.colorado.edu/colorado_river/law.html

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

csavel

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 pm

I think New York (City) and environs should secede and become New Netherland, and set us up like North American's Singapore.

And California would after secession, probably split into two states.

Which leads me to the thought that States in the US with some exceptions are stupid anyway!

Most of them were lines on a map drawn by surveyors when there were few settlers and the native Americans were mostly nomadic and surely didn't care. I mean take Colorado, please. It is a freakin' rectangle. It's just a line on a map. The people of Durango surely have more to do with the people of New Mexico and the people East of Denver are probably more in tune with Kansas.

There are exceptions, Hawaii obviously, some states in the East, but even there, New York - New Jersey divide is pointless, except for ribbing people on the other side of the Hudson. Join Buffalo etc., with Cleve Lakes, they talk like them any way, have more in common then break up NY State, maybe take SE CT, Northern NJ and NY to create New Netherland, Norther VA, MD --> Patomoaca, you get the picture.

Make more but smaller states centered around metro regions so that there can be smarter governance. And while we're at it, change the house of representatives so that districts cross state lines. Then perhaps the red-state blue state divide and secession could either die down, or heat up and really succeed.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

OA412

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 40):
The reason jokes and stereotypes are funny is because they all contain at least a little bit of truth. So as long as Alabamans take literal potshots at their welcome sign, I can take potshots at Alabama.

Exactly. We all belong to a group about which there exist stereotypes, and we all have to be able to laugh at them from time to time. I don't think that I need to explain my position regarding my posts above for a second time. If people are unwilling to see any sort of humor in a situation, it is not my fault.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

mayor

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 54):

Interesting how that might work out if California were to secede, which is what we were talking about.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

connies4ever

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 50):

You guys speak don't speak English either.

That's why your TV networks keep hiring Canadians: we speak English everyone understands, y'all.  
Quoting tugger (Reply 51):
I thought Canada spoke Canukian and Quebecian .... of course it's not nearly as bad as those damned Newfie's.

Absolutely no one understands the Newfie accent, not even the Newfies.

Quoting Airport (Reply 53):
For my own selfish reasons, I would like to see something like this:

Ewww, you and my brother share the same wet dream. Double ewww.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Quoting csavel (Reply 55):
I mean take Colorado, please. It is a freakin' rectangle. It's just a line on a map.

Have you ever looked at a map of Kansas by county? First time I saw one I thought 'what were they thinking' ... ?

Map of Kansas by county line

But as far as state lines are concerned, a lot of the territory west of the Mississippi was allocated by way of federal purchases and divvied up by land grants. I'm assuming that's why we see KS the way we do.
International Homo of Mystery

Tugger

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 57):
Quoting tugger (Reply 54):

Interesting how that might work out if California were to secede, which is what we were talking about.

I agree, and it would become and "international" treaty in that case.

As I said, I don't think it is a good idea or that it will happen (I don't even think the state will split in two, which is more likely that what we are talking about) but California has resources that few other states have. It has industry (though it currently appears to be trying hard to drive it out), technology, mineral resources, class leading bio and medical centers, a vibrant agriculture industry, energy resources (though we don't use them), and a top notch university system, and of course people. Add to that, one of the most desireable locations in the woirld and it makes it quite a formidable case for the ability to become a nation if it came to that.

WRT water, we do have an ocean and a very wet north (which is of course a constant reason for the north wanting to separate from the south).

Tugg

ER757

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:50 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 59):
nteresting how that might work out if California were to secede, which is what we were talking about.

I agree, and it would become and "international" treaty in that case.

Really...under what authority could it be enforced if CA were to secede? Exactly why would the USA even consider extending that treaty to a rogue nation?

WRT water, we do have an ocean and a very wet north (

There's your answer. Desalination is going to have to become more common regardless of state or national boundaries.
It won't be cheap (at least not at first) but water is going to become the most precious resource before long. You can't drink or irrigate your crops with petroleum.

Tugger

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:52 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 60):
Really...under what authority could it be enforced if CA were to secede? Exactly why would the USA even consider extending that treaty to a rogue nation?

Perhaps in exchange for full access to seaports?   I know there are great ports to the north as well but ours aren't too bad.

Now if it ever required the "authority" of the UN courts to adjudicate, then, well the nation of California is doomed.   

Tugg

BMI727

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:04 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 47):
You must be one of those people that think that anything outside of Chicago and Cook County is "downstate", no matter if it's down past Springfield or up by Rockford.

Actually, for practical purposes, anything outside of Chicago and the suburbs is downstate. And what amounts to three different states in one does cause issues politically and probably contributed to the budget crisis.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

mayor

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 62):
Actually, for practical purposes, anything outside of Chicago and the suburbs is downstate. And what amounts to three different states in one does cause issues politically and probably contributed to the budget crisis.

Odd use of the word "downstate", then. Up usually means north, down means south.

Chicago and Cook County have treated the rest of the state as unwanted stepchildren for years.

BMI727

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:25 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 63):
Odd use of the word "downstate", then. Up usually means north, down means south.

Usually, but in the context of Illinois, "downstate" often refers to pretty much anywhere that isn't Chicago and the associated suburbs, particularly in the political or economic sense. Kind of like how "Upstate New York" is basically anywhere that isn't NYC.

Quoting mayor (Reply 63):
Chicago and Cook County have treated the rest of the state as unwanted stepchildren for years.

The state just can't ignore one of the largest cities in the country. What works in Chicago doesn't necessarily work well in the rest of the state, like education funding.

yyz717

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:04 am

I'm sure Canada would welcome some small US border states such as Maine, NH, VT, ND, ID, MT. Even Alaska as new provinces. If that was the democratic will of those states.  

Notice how I excluded MI and NY.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

N1120A

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:52 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 51):

Entitled?

The Colorado River Compact gives us less than our rights under the Riparian Doctrine.

Quoting csavel (Reply 54):

And California would after secession, probably split into two states.

Maybe, maybe not. I can see the counties act like Departments in France.

WRT water, we do have an ocean and a very wet north (which is of course a constant reason for the north wanting to separate from the south).

Except that anyone smart in the North doesn't want to give up the economic benefits the South provides.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mayor

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 64):
Usually, but in the context of Illinois, "downstate" often refers to pretty much anywhere that isn't Chicago and the associated suburbs, particularly in the political or economic sense.

But only to the people in Cook County or Chicago. The rest of the state only used the terms in their strictest sense.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 64):
The state just can't ignore one of the largest cities in the country. What works in Chicago doesn't necessarily work well in the rest of the state, like education funding.

And there's the problem. For many, many years (and again, now) Chicago and Cook County and the Democratic machine controlled what happened in Springfield, to the detriment of the rest of the state.

skidmarks

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, if the US started to split up it would certainly give the rest of the world something to watch other than kicking shit out of each other.

You tried it once and look what happened - mayhem and slaughter, followed by years of moaning and whingeing.

No, if any country is going to split it'll be China or the constituent parts of Russia - assuming they could determine who wants to be what!

Nice hypothesis though.

Andy   
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

slz396

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Anybody in the know as to what constitutional procedure there is to be followed by a US state that wants to split away from the USA, not through a Civil War, but by legal means, starting with a referendum possibly?

Is there anything in the US Constitution about this?

Surely a Union must also have provisions for a memberstate the terminate its membership should it want to?

I know the EU has it and some of the provisions have been used twice in the past, once when Algeria became independent of France in 1962 (Before Algeria was considered part of France, NOT a colony) and also when Greenland (legally a part of Denmark) decided to have its status changed, so it could then exit the EU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_from_the_European_Union

[Edited 2011-01-29 07:45:37]

connies4ever

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 65):
I'm sure Canada would welcome some small US border states such as Maine, NH, VT, ND, ID, MT. Even Alaska as new provinces. If that was the democratic will of those states.

Not sure you'd want Alaska if you knew how much money the US feds are ploughing into it. It would be like having another Quebec. I'd rather take Hawaii   -- it was British territory before it was American in any event.

Oh, and the Turks and Caicos Islands, please. I think Queenie would rather be rid of them in any event.

richardnhsv

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:36 pm

Article. IV.
Section 3

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.
"If you've ever had a filet this good, welcome back." - Ruth Fertel

BMI727

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 67):
The rest of the state only used the terms in their strictest sense.

Not really where I am.

chrisair

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 27):
That's a little hard to do with my 3,000 square foot house.

So your house is two double wides put together?   Are you selling them at the moment?  http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/reo/2155360556.html

I've always heard California was splitting into two states. As a former San Franciscan, I say, let those savages down there break away. 

yyz717

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 70):
Not sure you'd want Alaska if you knew how much money the US feds are ploughing into it. It would be like having another Quebec.

Nothing would be like another Quebec. There are only 400,000 Alaskans or so? They can't be that dependent.

I'd rather take Hawaii -- it was British territory before it was American in any event.

Sure.

Oh, and the Turks and Caicos Islands, please.

Yup.

And also that piece of Ohio that was ceded by the US to the British and then re-occupied. We'll have that back also...
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

mayor

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:02 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 72):
Not really where I am.

Well, I don't know where you're from in Illinois, but for the 33 years I lived "downstate" it was that way. I can't see the people that live outside of Chicago or Cook County liking the situation any better now, than they did then.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 am

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 74):
And also that piece of Ohio that was ceded by the US to the British and then re-occupied. We'll have that back also...

How about we compromise and give you Cleveland? The rest of us who live in Ohio surely don't need that part of the state. You can't have Cedar Point though. Sorry...
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

mayor

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:28 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 76):
How about we compromise and give you Cleveland? The rest of us who live in Ohio surely don't need that part of the state. You can't have Cedar Point though. Sorry...

Can you give them Dennis Kucinich, too?  

Zkpilot

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:42 am

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 65):

I always thought Canada would be more likely to split... the frenchies have always wanted to... then Alberta got oilrich and the proceeds got divided around... all of a sudden they got really quiet... now its BC, Albert and Sas that have been talking about splitting off...
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

N1120A

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:54 am

Quoting slz396 (Reply 69):
Anybody in the know as to what constitutional procedure there is to be followed by a US state that wants to split away from the USA, not through a Civil War, but by legal means, starting with a referendum possibly?

There is no real constitutional procedure to get out of the Union, particularly without the consent of Congress. Once you're in, you're in.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 78):
I always thought Canada would be more likely to split... the frenchies have always wanted to... then Alberta got oilrich and the proceeds got divided around... all of a sudden they got really quiet... now its BC, Albert and Sas that have been talking about splitting off...

Nah. Its a symbiotic relationship that they all know secretly works quite well, but like to have something to moan about other than the cold weather. Eastern Canada has the financial capital, cultural capital, links to Europe and all the stuff that makes Canada different from the US, plus lots of mineral deposits. Western Canada has the oil, links to Asia and Nanaimo bars.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

rfields5421

Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 79):
There is no real constitutional procedure to get out of the Union, particularly without the consent of Congress.

The key is the consent of Congress. The US Congress could setup rules and regulations to allow states to leave the Union. There would be no need for a change to the Constitution.

As quoted from the Constitution above.

Quoting richardnhsv (Reply 71):
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States;

Of course the odds of that happening are extremely unlikely.

But folks also have to remember one thing.

36 states were created by the Congress from territories of the United States, in a couple cases with the permission of various state legislatures.

One state was created by treaty with a foreign nation, a treaty whose terms are probably still enforce as it related to special provisions for that nation to become a state. That nation was the Republic of Texas.

[Edited 2011-01-30 06:03:30]

connies4ever

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:17 pm

How about we compromise and give you Cleveland?

Ack ! Not Cleveland ! What did we ever do to deserve THAT ?

I always thought Canada would be more likely to split... the frenchies have always wanted to

Actually no. The "sovereigntists" don't want true independence, they want "nationhood". Canadian dollar, Canadian passport (when convenient), access to Canadian embassies/consulates abroad, where Quebec does not have diplomatic representation, and they do already in a limited manner. Oh, and please keep shovelling billions in subsidies our way thank you. Try and get your head around that one.

Former Quebec Premier Jacques Parizeau once likened the sovereignty movement to having to visit the dentist every day. Believe me, it is.

Due to its' geographical position, Quebec can play this kind of politics. An old line not heard much any more is that if Quebec were in the same position as Newfoundland, Canada would have towed it out to sea and sunk it.

goblin211

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 7):

Certainly. Secession could happen but not last for very long, which i'm thinking is a couple months of pure anarchy like what's going on in Egypt. For example, other nations wouldn't have trade b/c they wouldn't be recognized as a foreign nation like in the Civil War and so taxes would be even higher than they are in the Union. Pretty much, what's going on in Egypt would have to happen and the nation would have to STILL not do anything before a vote for secession would be even considered.

Note: I'm no expert but i just assume there would have to be utter chaos before secession happened and then would fail miserably.
From the airport with love

yyz717

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm

How about we compromise and give you Cleveland?

Sure, we'll take it. We'll improve public education, ban guns and Cleveland will boom, become safe and become live-able, just like all Canadian inner cities.

Alot of Canadians wish Quebec would separate. ROC'ers are getting tired of supporting Quebec.

connies4ever

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 83):

Alot of Canadians wish Quebec would separate. ROC'ers are getting tired of supporting Quebec.

But more want them to stay, Neil. The consequences are simply too bad to contemplate. I'm a Westerner (although a bilingual one) and I certainly want Quebec inside the tent.

Unless, of course, you want to live in a Tea Party-led rump of a country. And that wouldn't surprise me.

rfields5421

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 am

If you want to look at an interesting constitutional question about Secession - look at how the state of West Virginia was formed.

Basically, after Virginia seceeded from the union, several counties declared themselves to be the legal government of the state of Virginia and seceeded from the state of Virginia to become the state of West Virginia.

By declaring themselves to be the legal government of the state, they were able to avoid questions about the constitutional requirement for the consent of the state legislature to make a state from territory of another state.

BMI727

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 85):
look at how the state of West Virginia was formed.

I'd be more interested in looking at how we can un-form them.   

tz757300

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:18 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 86):

I'd be more interested in looking at how we can un-form them.

Why do you say that?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

BMI727

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 87):
Why do you say that?

Because I've been there.   

tz757300

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:28 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 87):

Because I've been there.

Hmm, I live there, doesn't seem to be too bad. What didn't appeal to you?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

BMI727

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 89):
What didn't appeal to you?

The fact that it was very third world, it makes Appalachian Emergency Room look like a documentary, lack of teeth, propensity to utilize household appliances as lawn ornaments, etc. To be fair, the rest of the South is like that as well but West Virginia is the worst that I've seen. Around every corner I kind of expected to see Oprah building a school.

sccutler

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:41 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 90):

The fact that it was very third world, it makes Appalachian Emergency Room look like a documentary, lack of teeth, propensity to utilize household appliances as lawn ornaments, etc. To be fair, the rest of the South is like that as well but West Virginia is the worst that I've seen. Around every corner I kind of expected to see Oprah building a school.

Always nice to see a worldly-wise young fellow showing his tact!

I used to know it all - then I got older, and the black and white began to merge...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

flyerboy1990

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:45 am

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 74):

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Pump the breaks!

Being a native NE Ohioan and going to school in the Dayton area, I have some perspective on this. I find Cleveland and Akron to be much more lively and liveable than Cincy, Dayton, or Mega University Ville. Much better established suburbs, entertainment, and economy. Cleveland always gets knocked for being a dump, but if you really look at what it has, it's better than central and southern Ohio. And it's soooo flat, windy, and cold down here! I prefer the lake effect snow to this crap.
Flown in: 712, 722, 73G, 738, 752, DC10, CR2, CR9, A319, A320 Want to fly in: A330, 767, 777, MD80, E170 series

tz757300

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:49 am

Well, I'll try to expand your knowledge a bit. This stereotype that you have isn't just WV, its all of Appalachia, which does go from NY all the way to MS. So it isn't just you're preconceived notion of it being just the South.

I will say, plenty of rural areas within the US are like that. I've seen worse in rural areas of MA and IL, for example.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

mayor

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:56 am

I've never seen anyone use stereotypes as much or as badly as you do. Those very same things can be seen in almost ANY state in the union and yet you seem to tell everyone that it's only the South that is that way. Have you ever LIVED in the south as opposed to having just visited there? Perhaps you should visit us sometime and we'll all let you count our teeth!  

This reminds me very much of this cover of the New Yorker. Even though it pokes fun at New Yorkers, it can also apply to almost anyone that has this attitude.

BMI727

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 93):
This stereotype that you have isn't just WV, its all of Appalachia

I know that. But West Virginia is the poster boy.

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 93):
I've seen worse in rural areas of MA and IL, for example.

Sure there are. Heck, I don't really like Illinois south of Peoria or so.

Quoting mayor (Reply 94):
I've never seen anyone use stereotypes as much or as badly as you do.

Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. There's a little truth in all of them.

You all take this too seriously. Face it, California is filled with Communists, Nevada is one huge brothel, Arizona is basically North Mexico, everyone in Texas carries a gun, nobody in the South can read or brush their teeth, the Dakotas are just like Canada but even more empty, and Florida highways have wheelchair lanes.

TSS

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 34):
I've got to tell you, these stereotypes you have of the South are just starting to get a little aggravating, no matter how many smiley faces you put next to them.

Aw, let him run with 'em. We in the South promote those stereotypes to keep undesirables out.  

Seriously, you'd think by now someone would have noticed that it's always the same toothless couple describing what the tornado sounded like no matter where in the South the tornado occurred.  
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

mayor

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 95):
Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. There's a little truth in all of them.

You all take this too seriously. Face it, California is filled with Communists, Nevada is one huge brothel, Arizona is basically North Mexico, everyone in Texas carries a gun, nobody in the South can read or brush their teeth, the Dakotas are just like Canada but even more empty, and Florida highways have wheelchair lanes.

And even if there is a small kernel of truth to those stereotypes, the longer you perpetuate them, the longer they'll last and expand, which seems to be your aim.

Remember, being eletist is almost as bad as being racist.

Quoting TSS (Reply 96):
Seriously, you'd think by now someone would have noticed that it's always the same toothless couple describing what the tornado sounded like no matter where in the South the tornado occurred.

And they're probably doing it from a studio in New York.

Superfly

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:31 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 97):
Remember, being eletist is almost as bad as being racist.

Many of them are and don't even realize it.
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:58 am

Come to Peachtree City, GA. Probably one of the most un-South towns in the South  

A shout out to my fellow golf carters! (If you've been here, you'll know what I'm talking about)