Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Go3Team
Topic Author

Body Pain

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:34 pm

For reasons I won't go into, been having a bit of pain the past few days. I went to a medical establishment yesterday for consultation and they gave me a prescription for Tylenol 3. This has not done anything to alleviate the pain. I have always been like this. A car crash I was in years ago, I was given something for pain and it didn't work, nor did the Oxy that was prescribed to me following gall bladder surgery a few years ago. The morphine given to me prior to that surgery worked wonders for the pain I was in. For the most part, I take the prescription a few times and throw the rest away because it's ineffective. I had a some stuff done today, and following that the Dr gave me a scrip for Oxy, which like the rest will probably be thrown away. I don't even understand why addicts crave the stuff, as it does nothing for me.

Does anyone else have this problem with pain killers?
Yay Pudding!

ual747den

RE: Body Pain

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:15 pm

I was in a car accident over 10 years ago and hurt my neck and head. After about 10 surgeries I still have a constant headache that gets better and worse depending on many different things. I have taken pretty much every kind of pain killer they make and found that oxycodone seems to work well for me. Maybe you should tell you doctor about the problems you are having getting any kind of pain relief and he/she will raise your dose. When I first started taking narcotic pain medications it was Percocet 5mg, now after all these years I take 1 or 2 30mg Oxycodone tablets at a time. I guess your body can get used to it and everyone is different so work with your doctor to find out what is best for you.

DONT TRY TO TAKE MORE THAN WHAT YOUR DOCTOR TELLS YOU IS OKAY.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

PlymSpotter

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Have you considered Chiropractic treatment as a possible solution? It's difficult to tell as we don't know the precise problem, but the situation of having been in an accident long ago but still getting pain sounds familiar enough for me to toss the idea out there. It's amazing what pains and symptoms you can get from nerve problems in your back.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DocLightning

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Are you a redhead or African-American?

Both groups are notoriously difficult when it comes to pain management.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:01 pm

I just had some surgery and was in substantial pain afterward. The only thing that touched the pain was morphine.

I was given a prescription for Oxy/APAP (Generic for Percocet). It didn't do very well. I was told to intersperse Aleve with the Oxy/APAP. That did a bit better, but I still wound up finishing the Oxy/APAP prescription. I have never, not once, completed a narcotic prescription.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Go3Team
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):

Neither. Mostly Western European with a hint of Mestizo.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 2):
Have you considered Chiropractic treatment as a possible solution?

My back is about the only thing that doesn't give me problems.

I don't have chronic pain, it just comes down to when it comes time to treat it, not much can be done about it. I don't take aspirin or ibuprofen for the occasional headache, or pain so tolerance isn't it either. This particular pain was caused by a bad tooth. The pain seemed to resonate from my head through my ear, tooth, right arm, chest, and right leg. It seemed my whole right side was throbbing from the pain. Thankfully, ice or cold liquid on contact with the tooth brought immediate relief. They extracted it today, so I am looking forward to a good night sleep.
Yay Pudding!

PlymSpotter

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 5):
Thankfully, ice or cold liquid on contact with the tooth brought immediate relief. They extracted it today, so I am looking forward to a good night sleep.

That's good to hear. Coincidentally I had to see a consultant about an impacted wisdom tooth today, and was told to come back when it's as bad as you describe, because until then it's not worth the risk of taking it out.

Dan  

vaporlock

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:53 am

Quoting Go3Team (Thread starter):
I had a some stuff done today, and following that the Dr gave me a scrip for Oxy

If you have had these meds in the past and they didn't work why accept a script? I'm not sure if you told the medical professional who you saw that they didn't work in the past.

You are so right about redheads not responding to several different pain meds. I have breast/bone cancer and have had a substantial amount of pain with it - I do Chemo once a week on Thursdays - this past Thursday was week #52 in a row. I am taking one time release pain pill each day that is 200 mg called Tridural. If I need anything else I might take an extra strength Tylenol. My physicians say I have a very high pain tollerance.

If I were you I would be sure to explain what has not worked for you in the past so that you can get the proper meds to help reduce your discomfort.

vaps

Go3Team
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
Coincidentally I had to see a consultant about an impacted wisdom tooth toda

That's what has caused my current problem. They grew in without enough room and compressed my molars until this one cracked.

Quoting vaporlock (Reply 7):
If you have had these meds in the past and they didn't work why accept a script?

In the hope that it would work. I'd feel like a drug fiend asking for something stronger.

If I were you I would be sure to explain what has not worked for you in the past so that you can get the proper meds to help reduce your discomfort.

The post surgical discomfort is much much more manageable than the pain beforehand.
Yay Pudding!

NoUFO

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 am

I am no Doc, but I have heard that some people with ADD (attention deficit disorder) don't respond well to pain killers. If they take Ritalin (Methylphenidate) half an hour before they see the, say: dentist, pain killers work a lot better.
I support the right to arm bears

Ken777

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:15 am

Both groups are notoriously difficult when it comes to pain management.

Tell me - I'm a redhead. What works best for me is to attack pain early. I'm starting to have neck problems again (discectomy & fusion at C5 or 6 about 20 years ago) and when it starts acting up I'll take a pain pill & lay down. (I have a small supply of pills that were not used after oral surgery and they still work!)

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 8):
The post surgical discomfort is much much more manageable than the pain beforehand.

If you had an abscess then the build up of junk would be sufficient to put real pressure on the nerves in the area. Even opening up the tooth and cleaning out the canal can relieve the pressure pretty fast - especially the gas that escapes. The antibiotics they gave you will also help as much as the pain pills - they will just take longer to be effective.

fr8mech

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 5):
This particular pain was caused by a bad tooth.

I was told by an oral surgeon (after having 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed) that oral pain related to the teeth is very difficult to manage. As I recall, leading up to the removal and treating the eventual dry-socket) I received Vicodin and another opiate/NSAID combination to control the pain. At least for the first day or so. That was back in my twenties.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

PlymSpotter

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 8):
That's what has caused my current problem. They grew in without enough room and compressed my molars until this one cracked.

Ouch, I'm keeping a close eye on mine. That's just what I don't want to happen  

fr8mech

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 12):
Ouch, I'm keeping a close eye on mine. That's just what I don't want to happen

Why not get them pulled now, before they cause any serious trouble?

PlymSpotter

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
Why not get them pulled now, before they cause any serious trouble?

Unfortunately X-rays and scans revealed that it is laying on it's side and is impacted a long way into my jaw bone. One of the main nerves is virtually against it and, as they will have to remove part of my jaw bone to extract the tooth, that means there is a risk that the nerve could be severed in the process and that I'd lose feeling in my lips and tongue, probably permanently. As it's not actually moved for three years, they did a full assessment and said it was my call, but that it's probably not worth the risk until it becomes a problem.

Dan  

ScarletHarlot

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:47 pm

My physicians say I have a very high pain tollerance.

Phyllis - you go girl!! Kick its arse!!!!!!!
But that was when I ruled the world

fr8mech

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 14):
One of the main nerves is virtually against it and, as they will have to remove part of my jaw bone to extract the tooth, that means there is a risk that the nerve could be severed in the process and that I'd lose feeling in my lips and tongue, probably permanently. As it's not actually moved for three years,

Same situation, both sides. I had them pulled. No telling when they will move and whether or not you'll be able to tolerate the sugery when it happens.

Kiwirob

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:30 pm

My physicians say I have a very high pain tollerance.

You and my wife, she didn't use the pain pump at all after both c-sections, which completely astounded the nurses.