Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Honeymoon In USA

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 am

I am planning to travel to USA (east coast, starting from NYC) for my honey moon next April.
Could you guys help me where to go and how, keep in mind i don't want to travel from place to another by air, i want to hire a car and enjoy being on the ground  
The trip duration will be approximately 3 weeks.

travelavnut

RE: Honeymoon In USA

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 am

Well driving to the Niagara Falls from NYC using secondary roads was something I greatly enjoyed!

ANITIX87

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 1):
Well driving to the Niagara Falls from NYC using secondary roads was something I greatly enjoyed!

Yep. New York City, up the Palisades Parkway, to Route 17, over to Port Jervis, and then up North along the Hawk's Next (NY 97) is a fantastic drive. From there, you can shoot over to Toronto for a bit, down towards Chicago if you want, and then drive to Las Vegas via Colorado to see the Rockies. From Vegas, you can head to the Grand Canyon or one of the national parks (Yosemite or Yellowstone) and then to Los Angeles. From Los Angeles, take US Highway 1 up to San Francisco, which has long been lauded as one of the most amazing drives in the world (definitely in the USA).

TIS

travelavnut

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 2):
From Los Angeles, take US Highway 1 up to San Francisco, which has long been lauded as one of the most amazing drives in the world (definitely in the USA).

I still have to do a trans-continental trip of the USA in a big convertible, maybe next year  

lowrider

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 pm

travelavnut

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 4):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going-to-the-Sun_Road
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
Two of my favorite drives

Bookmarked! Thanks a lot Lowrider, the Going-to-the-Sun road looks really awesome!

UAL747

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Are you talking about renting a car to drive yourself or actually hiring a sedan and a driver? If it's the latter, that would become incredibly expensive in just a few hours. Especially leaving NYC.

UAL

ALTF4

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 2):

If he does that, its probably best to then catch a flight back to NYC from the west coast and do a one-way rental. That would allow plenty of time on the west coast and plenty of time to take in the sights along the way from NYC to CA. Three weeks is plenty of time, but driving east might get old after having driven west already.

Of course, on the other hand, driving back would add more possibilities, such as seeing the Mexican border in CA and driving through Texas, some of the south, and possibly stopping along the florida pan handle for a day or two to enjoy the surf and sand, and stopping in DC.

Its a lot of driving, though.

ALTF4

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 6):

Most non-Americans learn British English when they learn English. The Brits have the unfortunate habbit (just kidding!) of calling 'renting' 'hiring', so 'hiring a car' means 'renting a car'. I'd assume the OP is talking about what is known as 'renting a car' in the US.  

varigb707

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Don't rent (a car) if you are staying in Manhattan for a couple of days. Get your car only on the day you are leaving town, to avoid excessive parking fees. Manhattan is better enjoyed by foot or by subway.

Stop by at any book store and purchase a U.S. Road Atlas book from Rand Mc.Nally. It's great, with lots of helpful info and tips for driving around the U.S. I believe they (still) have their own store on 150 East 52nd St.(212-758-7488)
You can check their website : http://www.randmcnally.com
But there are several book stores throughout the city also. http://www.ny.com/shopping/bookstores/midtown.html

Have fun on your Honeymoon.

desertjets

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:05 pm

3 weeks seems like a long time, but remember the US is big and takes the better part of a week to drive across if you do nothing but drive 8 hours a day. The thought of spending a few days in one place, then driving all day for another day or two to repeat that over again sounds tiring to me.

April would also not be my ideal time to do this trip either. May or June would be much better weatherwise, depending on when in April you are traveling about the weather may or may not be ideal. Especially if you do anything in New England/upstate New York.

Given the three week time frame starting in NYC I would head down the east coast and end up in Miami for 3-4 days.

Hit up Amish country in SE Pennsylvania, Philly, DC, spend some time in central VA around Charlottesville and hit up the wineries there (really the only wine region outside of California/Oregon and Washington that is worth a damn). From there head down towards the outer banks of NC (which will still be pretty quiet this time of year). Head south towards Charleston and then Savannah. Depending on what else you two are interested in Busch Gardens in Williamsburg may be open in April a couple of days out of the week, Disney World and stuff in Orlando, the Kennedy Space Center is worth a day IMO.

This lets you hit up a lot of different places, big cities, smaller out of the way places. If you can find bed and breakfasts to stay in -- they are generally reasonably priced, have a lot more character than your average Marriott or Hilton, and have a nice romantic feel to it.

In addition to getting a good road atlas I'd pick up a cheapie sat nav in NYC before heading out. The combo of the two will really help you explore and get unlost if you get lost.

Edit: Being the nerd that I am I tried to lay out a possible itinerary. Even what I suggested doesn't seem possible in a 21 day time span. You end up losing 4-5 days that are partial or full travel days.

[Edited 2011-02-17 09:15:14]

JBirdAV8r

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

I think DesertJets' itinerary is probably the best. There are some great bed and breakfast operations down the coast that would be perfect for a honeymoon jaunt. You can go down to Kill Devil Hills in the Outer Banks and see where the Wright Brothers made their flights. Amish country is beautiful and the people are wonderful. DC is always worth a visit as well and always interesting. And Charleston is great too--gives you a taste of "Southern hospitality" and it's a major arts and cultural center along the Eastern seaboard. If you were to go toward the end of May, that's Spoleto Festival time...one of the best times to visit Charleston. I don't think you'd need more than a day or two at a time in NYC. It's a great place and worth a visit, don't get me wrong, but give it a few days and it becomes just like every other big city in the world.

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 pm

I am really happy by all your replies and recommendations, many thanks to everybody who contributed.
I will memorize all of your suggestions.

I want to spend as minimum time as possible in the car, i am sure it will be very tiring for me. I want to go to places like Disneyland, six-flags, and other similar places. As for shopping i want places where i would found outlets with major brands like the ones in Europe.

desertjets

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 12):
I want to spend as minimum time as possible in the car, i am sure it will be very tiring for me. I want to go to places like Disneyland, six-flags, and other similar places. As for shopping i want places where i would found outlets with major brands like the ones in Europe.

With that in mind you may need to fly and/or take the train. Again 21 days seems like a lot of time but you can end up losing close to a third of that just on traveling from place to place. I would suggest maybe looking at sticking to NYC and DC for the 5 days, head down to Charleston/Savannah/Hilton Head for some quiet time for another 5 days, then maybe Orlando for the theme parks and the final days in Miami warming up. While it may be romantic driving the open roads in the US, the trek down I-95 sucks. South of Richmond it is boring as it gets. You do not pass any major cities directly until you get to Florida. Plus it is a hugely busy and congested road.

As for the theme parks in April some of the more northerly ones may not be open and if they are only on weekends. There is a Six Flags in New Jersey and one in Maryland outside of DC. Kings Dominion is north of Richmond, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA, and I think one or two places in the Carolinas. So waiting till you get to Florida and hitting up the parks there might be worth a few days.

As for shopping I think you can just do all that stuff in NYC -- though it depends on what you're looking for. But I was never a person who understood people who traveled and went to shopping malls in other cities/countries.

Venus6971

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:33 pm

My suggestion is to become a member of the AAA American Automoble Association, the fee is miniscule but they can help with trip planning to maps. You can request a book on what to do to where ever you travel and it will have information like history, largest ball of string to Disneyworld. Similiar to the Michelen guide. If a member you can get discounts on hotels and rental cars and a buck is a buck. April would be a good time to visit the southern US like the cities of Charleston or Savanah, not to hot with oppressive humidity but from being from the UAE I am sure the heat would be no problem to you. Up north in the North East in April you have the possiblilty of wet and cold weather.