Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Sometimes You've Got To Wonder

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 am

What is going on in some peoples heads? This is just shocking.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9918/b27e02fcefyye.jpg

[Edited 2011-03-14 03:34:26]

Springbok747

RE: Sometimes You've Got To Wonder

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 am

Looks like these idiots forgot about Hiroshima and Nagasaki..that was payback for Pearl Harbor.

But..a tsunami ...wow..just...wow...gotta wonder what these idiots are smoking.
אני תומך בישראל

Superfly

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 am

These people are sick!
Anyone who wants to turn this is to a US bashing thread is equally sick.
Bring back the Concorde

Quokka

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:13 am

Sadly the world is full of narrow-minded and hate filled people. You get them in every country, from all walks of life and with different levels of education.

Pearl Harbor may have been 70 years ago, when most of those posters were probably not even born, yet in other countries we see hatred being handed down from generation to generation over centuries.

Fortunately the actions of Governments around the world have been more positive with search and rescue personnel, materials and other forms of assitance being offered. The immediate offer of assistance by US carriers in the area shows more worth than the ravings of a few misguided individuals.

oly720man

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am

Well it's not a whole lot different from all the jingoism that some wheel out when England play Germany at football... or, well, pick any traditional sporting "enemies."

Anyway, with the ring of fire being as active as it is, how long before the San Andreas fault decides to join in?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

MadameConcorde

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 am

This is Facebook?
With these social media networks better pick the good and just ignore the bad.

Bad taste is everywhere nowadays with so many people assessing their own "truths" about things they in fact know nothing about. It has become common fare.

I am very cautious with FB never having anyone on my page that I haven't met in real life.

Quoting oly720man (Reply 6):
how long before the San Andreas fault decides to join in?

This no one can predict and there is the New Madrid also.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Aesma

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Some of them seem indeed to lack education and information, besides being stupid. I saw one saying it was "playback" for Pearl Harbor !

By the way, it could be a good thing (and enrage those people) if some US aid to Japan was actually coming from Pearl Harbor.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

sw733

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:24 pm

I heard a soundbite from some financial network - Bloomberg, CNBC, not sure - that had a real gem of ignorance. While talking about the condition of the US stock markets, he said omething along the lines of "It appears that the human toll of this will be much worse than the financial toll, and we can all be thankful for that". D'oh...

sw733

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 8):
I saw one saying it was "playback" for Pearl Harbor !

The only payback I want for Pearl Harbor is my money back from seeing that crappy movie in the theaters back in 2001 or so.

squared

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:14 pm

It's sad that people can think that way, but it is unsurprising; Facebook and Twitter make it easier for ignorance and poor taste to be broadcast. In the face of such horrible misery and pain, it is a poor reflection that some still have an "us vs. them" mentality.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
"It appears that the human toll of this will be much worse than the financial toll, and we can all be thankful for that". D'oh...

Oh dear... I really hope that was just a brain fart.

KPDX

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

We have no education over here... we are just a bunch of inbred rednecks who could only dream of being so highly educated as the rest of the world. There, I said what you wanted to hear.  

Wow, what do you know... Another US smear thread.

Yes, these people are complete idiots, so please don't draw opinions of a whole country over some dolts.

11Bravo

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Geez, what a surprise, my fellow Americans being ignorant and xenophobic. Many, perhaps most, of the people in this country see the world and current events through a very simple filter that categorises everything as one thing or another. You have Good and you have Bad. You have Enemies and you have Friends. There is no room for nuance or complexity.

Japan, of course, was our enemy during WWII, so,.... Japan Bad, Japan Enemy, end of story, game over, kill 'em. See how nice a simple that is? You don't have to understand much of anything to arrive at your conclusion.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 13):
We have no education over here... we are just a bunch of inbred rednecks who could only dream of being so highly educated as the rest of the world.

Truth is, we have the best higher education system in the world, but our primary (K-12) system is second rate at best. That will have very serious consequences down the road.
WhaleJets Rule!

ArmitageShanks

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UmotTE-VlY

Saw this little gem today. Amazing.

squared

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 16):

I really really hope that is meant to be satirical... otherwise, that is one very disturbed woman. It's just shocking to see the kind of ignorance that comes out of the woodwork when tragedy strikes.

sw733

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 16):
Saw this little gem today. Amazing.

"God is such an amazing God"

Better than Jeff, he's that slacker God.

Quoting SQuared (Reply 17):
I really really hope that is meant to be satirical... otherwise, that is one very disturbed woman.

$20 says she's disturbed. Curious what she feels tens of thousands of Japanese did to go to hell?

"Japan is a fantastic place to start"

[Edited 2011-03-14 11:31:29]

oly720man

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Quoting SQuared (Reply 17):
I really really hope that is meant to be satirical.

Nope, she's a religious basket case through and through. She has 41 other videos with her contemplations.

On the other hand, praying for this clearly makes her a worse terrorist than those who committed 9/11. Thousands dead, potential nuclear catastrophes. And locking her up won't stop these "terror prayers."

sw733

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Quoting oly720man (Reply 20):
praying for this clearly makes her a worse terrorist than those who committed 9/11

How so? She didn't kill a single person. Not saying she isn't a nutbag who will eventually get a taste of her own medicine, but she is hardly worse than the people who killed 3,000+ innocents on 9/11.

[Edited 2011-03-14 12:54:26 by srbmod]

YYZflyer

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 12):

hmmm..

If she's a troll, it's the best I've ever seen.

My friend flipped out at people making Pearl Harbour comments. Those people don't realized that it was a different generation and different government that did that.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

GBLKD

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 10):
Yes, these people are complete idiots, so please don't draw opinions of a whole country over some dolts.

Wouldn't dream of it, every country has it's fair share of pond life, the sane rational decent Americans outnumber those (as you put it so well) "dolts" by a very long way. It would take an idiot to judge an entire country by a few facebook posters.

My favourite (if one is permitted a favourite) quote from the FB page is the "gentleman" who insists that the Japanese started WW2. I know that Pearl Harbour was the event that made the U.S. enter WW2 but that fellow implies that Japan started the whole thing. He needs directions to the nearest library.

oly720man

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 16):
How so? She didn't kill a single person.

Just thinking in her deluded religious terms of prayers and what they achieve. She, and others, prayed for something like this to happen... a demonstration of God's power against the atheist. Sure, in a pulling-the-trigger-on-a-gun physical way she didn't kill anyone, but if her belief is such that God brings her intentions and desires to fruition then her (perhaps not crystallised in this way) intentions saw many thousands die.

If God is so real for people like her and she believes that God will do this then is there any material difference between people being murdered, say, and people being killed by a so called act-of-God that she prayed for, especially if they are the seemingly despised atheists?

BAViscount

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Quoting GBLKD (Reply 18):
My favourite (if one is permitted a favourite) quote from the FB page is the "gentleman" who insists that the Japanese started WW2.

There's also the one who refers to the Japanese as "Krauts". Many villagers must be out looking for their idiots tonight.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

aloges

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:38 pm

media personality joining in:

Beck: Earthquake A "Message" From God. (by DocLightning Mar 14 2011 in Non Aviation)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

GST

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 pm

Quoting oly720man (Reply 15):
On the other hand, praying for this clearly makes her a worse terrorist than those who committed 9/11

She didn't pray for this as such, but interpreting a natural disaster as "opening the eyes of atheists" is worrying in the extreme. I am agnostic, but drifting closer and closer to atheism with every one of these prayer deliverance interpretations I see (and yes I am lumping the mundane ones amongst these numbers, not just the natural disaster ones).

My favourite (if one is permitted a favourite) quote from the FB page is the "gentleman" who insists that the Japanese started WW2

My fave was "those damn krauts deserve to be hit by a earthquake tsunami for nuking pearl harbor". There is just so much wrong with that statement, I'm worried any more weirdness and it will sprout legs and walk off my computer screen.

windy95

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Thread starter):
What is going on in some peoples heads? This is just shocking.
Quote:
AliceTMBFan said “2 hours of geography earlier talking about Japan has left me thinking…maybe global warming is way more serious then we thought…”

Arbiterofwords tweeted “I’m worried that Japan earthquake, on top of other recent natural ‘disasters’, is a sign we’ve passed point of no return for climate change.”

MrVikas said “Events like the #Japan #earthquake and #tsunami MUST keep #climate change at forefront of policy thought: http://bit.ly/cZe8To #environment

Tayyclayy noted her frustration by tweeting “An earthquake with an 8.9 magnitude struck Japan.. And some say climate change isn’t real?!”

DanFranklin postulated “Never really believed all this global warming talk, but after the earthquake in NZ and today in Japan. Maybe we’ve ruined the world.”

And TeamIanHarding tweeted “While Japan witnessed an earthquake we were talking about the problems that global warming leads to in school. Think. Pray. And change.”

Do they have a point?

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/11/so...g-to-global-warming/#ixzz1GclqzHJo

Oh my....Guess it is not only those short on history lessons having problems with this quake.

AeroWesty

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:00 am

What surprises me is that people are apparently using their real names. Haven't they heard about employers searching social media sites prior to hiring? Talk about karma.
International Homo of Mystery

aloges

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 am

Quoting windy95 (Reply 23):
Guess it is not only those short on history lessons having problems with this quake.

Divine influence, payback for Pearl Harbor, HAARP, solar flares, global warming/climate change, homosexuality, swearing, the CIA/Mossad/FSB, Scrooge McDuck and the Teletubbies are going to be blamed for this disaster... and that's only the start of the list.   

san747

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 am

I love how half of those posts are complaining that Obama is sending aid to Japan. OK fine, you believe in small government and limited spending, but good lord, is spending money on humanitarian aid after one of the worst earthquakes of all time considered waste as well?? I'm starting to think some of these people believe there is no expense the government is justified in spending.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 24):
What surprises me is that people are apparently using their real names. Haven't they heard about employers searching social media sites prior to hiring? Talk about karma.

Yeah really. I am very careful about what I post on Facebook as I get ever closer to graduating and looking for professional jobs. I will note that in that collage, there seem like plenty of people on there (judging mainly by their ability to scrape together a sentence, not their appearance) who haven't been to college and/or have no interest in doing so, so maybe it's not even a problem for them!
Scotty doesn't know...

aa61hvy

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 1):
Looks like these idiots forgot about Hiroshima and Nagasaki..that was payback for Pearl Harbor.

No joke. I'd say we are even!

Quoting aloges (Reply 25):
HAARP

At least that theory is kind of interesting.

I'd be willing to bet these people have never traveled outside of their state let alone the US. Obviously these idiots do not speak for the USA as a whole. I never associate a Japanese person now with Pearl Harbor. For Godsakes that was a different generation that might as well be 1,000 years ago. My prior boss in LA is Japanese, and live there most of his life. Not once did I ever think you SOB because of Pearl Harbor. In all honesty when I found out about the tsunami I was on the horn with my old boss inquiring about his family sitll in Japan.

I do not hate a lot of things, but I hate and cannot tolerate ignorance.
Go big or go home

aa61hvy

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 am

Here is something similar:

"On Saturday, Pondexter tweeted: "What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes."

She later tweeted: "u just never knw! They did pearl harbor so u can't expect anything less.""
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=6215398

She did offer a half assed apology. But also used the phrase "jap" in responding to a tweet.

Sure glad she used that education she received at Rutgers.
Go big or go home

kiwiinoz

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:53 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 8):
The only payback I want for Pearl Harbor is my money back from seeing that crappy movie in the theaters back in 2001 or so.

Nice

Regarding the FB posts, I know the subject matter, (the Japan tragedy), is extremely sad but it's things like this that makes me smile. I see no reason for any sound, rational person to be upset. As I read the comments, it gives me a warm feeling that no matter how much I doubt myself, how many drugs I do, or how many times I bash my head against a brick wall, there are still going to be a lot of people out there far stupider than me.

And I agree, whilst it is primarily the US represented here, they certainly don't have the sole rights to being unsular idiots. There are a lot of dickheads all over the world that would be thinking the same way.

Aeroflot001

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:30 am

Apparamtly she has now confessed to being a troll and that she is done and she realized that her last video (The Japan one)
made a lot of people mad and she was successfully a troll. Although this come with some releif for the most part its absurd that she would offend decent Christians. Basing her whole video on Japan was extremely offensive regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tamtampamela

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:39 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 24):

Just proves that these people are from the shallow end of the gene pool, smart folks don't make comments like this or if they do make them private so only their friends can see them.

wilco737

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:43 am

Unbelievable. I am always impressed to see how stupid people actually can be...

And another reason not to register on facebook. Too much weird things go on there.   

wilco737

Aeri28

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:53 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):

Great thought, but too late..

My favourite (if one is permitted a favourite) ... (snipped for space)

Nothing less is expected!

RussianJet

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 10):
Wow, what do you know... Another US smear thread.

Or perhaps even a stupid person smear thread? Nobody trashed the US.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 10):
so please don't draw opinions of a whole country over some dolts.

Your reply was number ten, and nobody drew such conclusions before you posted it. In fact, several people pointed out that such idiocy is to be found all over the place, so why assume? So there has been bashing in the past. No need to suggest everyone is out to get you before it has even been suggested. I fully expect there are equally idiotic postings coming out of the UK on facebook, and if I had time to look for them I would gladly have them held up to ridicule.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Superfly

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:03 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 34):
Or perhaps even a stupid person smear thread? Nobody trashed the US.

The OP was taking pot-shots at the US initially until he editied his comments within the 60 minute window.
Bring back the Concorde

aloges

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
The OP was taking pot-shots at the US education system initially until he edited his comments within the 60 minute window.

ftfy

Superfly

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 36):

The US education system is a part of the US.

ftfy
Bring back the Concorde

aloges

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):
The US education system is a part of the US.

OK, so if I took a pot shot at e.g. Al Gore, you'd be offended because he's a part of the US, too?

Superfly

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:08 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 38):
OK, so if I took a pot shot at e.g. Al Gore, you'd be offended because he's a part of the US, too?

Al Gore is one individual. The ‘US education system’ is made up of millions of people. Most Americans attend government funded public schools. So yes, his deleted comments were a cheap-shot at a vast cross section of the US population.
There are plenty of other threads to carry on with the usual US-bashing. These low-hanging fruits are not a representative same of the general US public and I thought that enlightened Europeans were sophisticated enough to understand that.
Perhaps I'm giving too much credit where credit isn't due.
Bring back the Concorde

aloges

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:21 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
Al Gore is one individual. The ‘US education system’ is made up of millions of people.

OK - so just insert another American entity of your choice. The point was that criticism of one part of a nation doesn't mean you're bashing that entire nation.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
I thought that enlightened Europeans were sophisticated enough to understand that.

I keep reading those sneers from you and I have to wonder what sort of Europeans you talk to. It can't be the kind of people I meet in Europe, very few of those think of themselves as "enlightened" - unless of course you're referring to the historical meaning of the term.

Superfly

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 40):
OK - so just insert another American entity of your choice. The point was that criticism of one part of a nation doesn't mean you're bashing that entire nation.

The OP deleted his statements and rightfully so to avoid this sort of negative energy.

Quoting aloges (Reply 40):
I keep reading those sneers from you and I have to wonder what sort of Europeans you talk to. It can't be the kind of people I meet in Europe, very few of those think of themselves as "enlightened"

I'm not pointing any fingers. Just an observation from members in the forums, other websites and the occasional dirty backpacker I come across around town.
The professionals I work with from all over the world including Europe never bring up this kind of crap.
Bring back the Concorde

aloges

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
The OP deleted his statements and rightfully so to avoid this sort of negative energy.

Indeed, let's end it.

I know quite a few friendly, intelligent, open-minded, well-travelled Americans personally. They set the record straight every time I come across an idiot from America posting offensive rubbish under the protection of internet anonymity.

Superfly

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:04 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 42):
Indeed, let's end it.

Agreed.
Bring back the Concorde

airtrainer

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 32):
Unbelievable. I am always impressed to see how stupid people actually can be...

And another reason not to register on facebook. Too much weird things go on there

Shocking indeed ! But these kind of things would happen even if facebook didn't exist, stupidity has no limit, unfortunately 
Life is short : eat dessert first !

wilco737

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:25 am

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 44):
But these kind of things would happen even if facebook didn't exist, stupidity has no limit, unfortunately 

True, but then it would be discussed at these guys homes or maybe in a bar or pub, but not where millions of people can read it. That is simply bigger style and more embarassing...

It is the same thing when people still think that I am (as German citizen) responsible for WWII and what happened there. Always nice to see people greeting me with "Heil Hitler"         

wilco737

airtrainer

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 45):
True, but then it would be discussed at these guys homes or maybe in a bar or pub, but not where millions of people can read it. That is simply bigger style and more embarassing...

You're right about that. I'm a facebook user myself and I've learnt an essential thing with this website : colleagues are not always "friends" ! In fact, the only good thing I see is that I've been able to keep in touch with people I had lost contact with, better than nothing...

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 45):
It is the same thing when people still think that I am (as German citizen) responsible for WWII and what happened there. Always nice to see people greeting me with "Heil Hitler"

Hmmm, nice touch indeed. I'm french and I've been able to meet some really nice german people thanks to A.net, that's another reason to love this website  

Be well.
Life is short : eat dessert first !

fridgmus

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 1):

But..a tsunami ...wow..just...wow...gotta wonder what these idiots are smoking.

I think some serious Bitch-Slapping is in order for these sick morons. Like Springbok said, we got more than our share of payback in 1945 and as far as I'm concerned, the slate is clean. Now it's time to show some simple human decency!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

sw733

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 46):
colleagues are not always "friends" !

I have varying levels of privacy against various people, but my coworkers, even work "friends", all have the maximum attached to them...they can't see my photos, can't see my wall, can't see photos I am tagged in, can't write on my wall...they are set to the extreme!

wn700driver

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
These people are sick!

I don't think I would call them sick. Just more products of the thirty second-education-by-way-of-soundbite mentality we hold so dear these days. Hell, I'll bet half these guys are Nancy Grace fans anyway. . .

Quoting SW733 (Reply 16):

How so? She didn't kill a single person. Not saying she isn't a nutbag who will eventually get a taste of her own medicine, but she is hardly worse than the people who killed 3,000+ innocents on 9/11.

But the ideology is not different. We're a long way from it, but if we have any hope of long term survival (let alone further evolution), this type of religious imperialism needs to be seen for what it is. Until we can get the stones to look at it that way, we will always be making excuses for people like her, and calling it insanity or otherwise letting these folks off the hook when they do perpetuate their obviously violent agendas. We wouldn't look at pedophelia so benignly, I don't see why this gets a pass. . .

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 47):

I think some serious Bitch-Slapping is in order for these sick morons. Like Springbok said, we got more than our share of payback in 1945 and as far as I'm concerned, the slate is clean. Now it's time to show some simple human decency

My grandfather fought in the Pacific during the Big One, and was very clear on the subject, on the rare occasions when it came up. Having started his part in the war in Pearl Harbor, his opinion was that there is no question the Japanese had already "paid" for Pearl Harbor 100 times over. . . Before we dropped the bomb(s)...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear