Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ronglimeng
Topic Author

Are Modern Expats Whoosies?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

It used to be that if you were a "world traveller" or an expatriate living abroad, you were considered an adventurer or at least someone who had forsaken the comforts and safety of home for interesting jobs in other countries. But it seems things have changed.

Over the past week our media here in Canada have reported a steady stream of expat "English teachers" and other Canadians working in Japan who have chosen to catch the first flight home. At the same time, there are 127 million Japanese who aren't going anywhere.

Sure, the situation in northern Japan is extremely serious, but it is somewhat localised. Don't those people who, a week ago, were part of the Japanese economy, need to a show a little more backbone and stay at their posts? I bet English classes and other workplaces are now resuming operations across Japan. I wonder what the Japanese think of these people who have gone?

jetblast

RE: Are Modern Expats Whoosies?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm

I think you would find that if such an event were to happen in your country you would find lots of expats heading back to their home nations. Despite the fact that they are a part of the Japanese economy I'm not sure I blame them for wanting to go home to family and friends after such an event.
Speedbird Concorde One

elmothehobo

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Unless you have some marketable skill to aid in the recovery, you are better of leaving and reducing the burden on authorities trying to assist those in need.

MD11Bob

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 pm

I an not completely sure about this but there may be also some sort of insurance reasons or whatever you want to call it. I know companies that state in their working conditions and contracts that they are oblidged to bring expats home if for example the foreign ministry issues travel warnings for the respective country. Might this play a role?

AeroWesty

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:36 pm

If I couldn't fully depend upon what the officials are saying, there was widespread hoarding in the country, people around me were in distress, even perhaps by staying I'd be putting my family at risk while we had someplace else to go for a while, well, I'd be buying tickets on the first plane out of there too.
International Homo of Mystery

falstaff

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
I'd be buying tickets on the first plane out of there too.

I would be too, not because I fear radiation, but because I feel I would be getting in the way and my presence was not really needed. Plus why would I want to subject myself to the problems of the area when I could avoid them by going home.

I know somebody who left for Kyoto two days ago. She and her new husband went there on their honeymoon. I know Kyoto was not in the earthquake zone, but I would feel like a selfish idiot if I went touristing around Japan right now.

Quoting jetblast (Reply 1):
I think you would find that if such an event were to happen in your country you would find lots of expats heading back to their home nations.

I would think that would be the case.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

nighthawk

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Quoting ronglimeng (Thread starter):
Over the past week our media here in Canada have reported a steady stream of expat "English teachers" and other Canadians working in Japan who have chosen to catch the first flight home. At the same time, there are 127 million Japanese who aren't going anywhere.

How many of those 127 million Japanese would go somewhere if they had somewhere to go? The fact is the ex-pats have family and friends abroad who they can go and visit until things calm down. A lof of those Japanese dont have that luxury.

How many Japanese have chosen to take a last minute holiday departing immediately? I bet there are a good few

Aaron747

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Don't those people who, a week ago, were part of the Japanese economy, need to a show a little more backbone and stay at their posts?

You would think so but the media scaremongering has been pretty intense.

I wonder what the Japanese think of these people who have gone?

In the case of drunken English teachers, probably "good riddance"!

Quoting MD11Bob (Reply 3):
I know companies that state in their working conditions and contracts that they are oblidged to bring expats home if for example the foreign ministry issues travel warnings for the respective country. Might this play a role?

Not really, since they are likely employees of Japanese companies in most instances.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 5):
I know Kyoto was not in the earthquake zone, but I would feel like a selfish idiot if I went touristing around Japan right now.

Actually they'd probably be glad to have the business.

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 6):
How many Japanese have chosen to take a last minute holiday departing immediately? I bet there are a good few

This is certainly true.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MD11Bob

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
Not really, since they are likely employees of Japanese companies in most instances.

I dont think that is a rare case that companies from other countries send workers to Japan and that is what I was referring to in my example. About the english teachers, well, I don´t know about that.

Aesma

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:48 pm

For some, it's not done lightly, Japan had indeed become their home, so they're not going back home, but rather relocating temporarily. Which is quite understandable, especially if children are involved.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

homadreaming

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:57 pm

my uncle is married to a Japanese woman, and they live outside Tokyo. Last we spoke to him he had no desire to leave Japan and he is staying behind to be in his adopted home country with his family, I also have seen several people interviewed in Japan who said they would stay behind no matter what to help out. I assume most of those folks have extended Japanese Family and friends.
Like others said, its almost the responsible thing to do to leave to allow the scarce resources to be shared with a few less people, for example China has evacuated 30000 of its citizens on charter flights the last couple of days, that's potentially 30000 less mouths to feed and keep warm and connected in case of an evolving tragedy, that means more can be provided to the 500000 effected Japanese, who can't just call an embassy and schedule an evacuation... Also it means that foreign governments can provide more to the effected victims of this brutal tragedy and concentrate less on trying to locate their own citizens in the country.