Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

goblin211
Topic Author

Is It True Cobras Like Indian Music?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:08 am

How do they do it? I love snakes and if I could try it, my safety guaranteed I would in a heartbeat! Also, does it necessarily have to be those clarinets or whatever they use, or can it be something else?
From the airport with love

sulley

RE: Is It True Cobras Like Indian Music?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:22 am

Whut?

Color me confused.
In thrust we trust!

Asiaflyer

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 am

The snakes follows the moves of the flute, but has this to do with aviation?

goblin211
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:27 am

I mean those people who sit down on the street playing those instruments and the cobras show their hood out of those baskets. They look look like they're listening to the music. certainly someone's been to or is from India where this is common, no?

goblin211
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting Asiaflyer (Reply 2):

I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum. I meant non-aviation, sorry.

Confuscius

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:39 am

Quoting goblin211 (Reply 4):
I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum. I meant non-aviation, sorry.

In aviation, the SU-27 can do the cobra maneuver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOPK07baBw&feature=player_detailpage
Ain't I a stinker?

vxg

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:02 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 5):

And the Indian Air Force has several examples of SU-30 which appears to be an evolution from the original SU-27  

WestWing

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:17 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 5):
Quoting vxg (Reply 6):
And the Indian Air Force has several examples of SU-30 which appears to be an evolution from the original SU-27

Pedantically speaking, that would be Military Aviation and Space. However, there could be a connection to civil aviation buried in a Samuel L. Jackson flick with a famous double expletive quote.

The snakes aren't listening. They are trying to attack a moving "threat". They'd do it even if the instrument was silent.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

CanadianDC10

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:33 am

hahahahahah

when i saw this in here, i died.

Revelation

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 am

Now you got me wondering - do rattlesnakes like salsa music?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

kgaiflyer

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:59 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 9):
Now you got me wondering - do rattlesnakes like salsa music?

The rattlesnakes I see around ELP prefer to line-dance.  yes 

And I agree this is a non-aviation topic.

[Edited 2011-03-26 22:20:09]

727thumpship

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 am

i hear pythons react very well to Coldplay. Who would have thought. I would have pegged that species as hip-hop fans.
Until my death, I'm bangladesh.

Doona

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 am

There's an wonderfully sentimental Wikipedia article on snake charming, and it contains many useful tidbits for any would-be snake charmer, such as our own Goblin211:

Removing the venom glands and sewing the mouth shut seems to be very reasonable ides. Or, if sewing up the mouth of an animal is not to your liking, you could just remove the teeth.

Also, apparently it's a good idea to sit "out of biting range".

There's also this sentence, which IMO is pure gold, as far as wikipedia-information goes:

Quote:
Today, only about one million[citation needed] snake charmers remain in India; theirs is a dying profession.

Now, I'll drop the issue I have with the fact that ONE OUT OF ALMOST EVERY THOUSAND people in India supposedly are snake charmers (not that I believe it, and apparently, neither does wikipedia).

I would, however, recommend starting out slowly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_charming

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Geezer

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:07 am

I guess I'll have to "educate" you "aviation nuts" about snakes: ( long time amateur "herp" here ); to begin with, snakes have no external "hearing"; they do have some extremely "keen" sensory organs, but nothing to equate to hearing; many of the venomous species that are "vipers" ( rattlesnakes, cottonmouth mocasins, copperheads, etc. have a large "pit" on either side of the head, and behind this pit there is a very sensitive organ ( Jacobsin's organ) which is extremely sensitive to IR radiation from a small animal, such as a mouse or a rabbit ; ( and yes, that's where the "sidewinder" missile got its name from.)

All snakes have the ability to "feel" very low frequency vibrations from their sub-strate, which is as close as they come to actually "hearing".

All venomous species of snakes have extremely highly developed nervous systems, ( which vary greatly, from one species to another ), and they also have very good vision; that, together with their total lack of eye lids, is the reason why a snakes eyes are always open. Actually there is a transparent scale over the eyeball, and every few months, when the snake is about to "shed" his old "layer" of skin, this transparent eye scale becomes quite milky for a few days, and the snake is almost blind for a time.

As for the cobras used by the Indian , so-called "snake charmers", some of it is "quakery", and some of it is actually quite real; like most people in India, the people who handle snakes are the same people , from early age, to old age, and over a very long time, they are extremely "in tune" with their reptiles; ( it's one of those "don't try this anyplace" things ) , unless you were "born into it".

As far as the "music" goes ; the only "effect" it has, is on the people watching; the snake is watching that flute, and the guy with the flute is watching the snake, "very closely" !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Doona

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:12 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 13):

Well, that certainly sucked all the fun out of this thread.   

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

HAWK21M

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 am

Snakes can't hear.......They react to the movement of the Pipe called the Been pronounced as "Bean".
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

GAIsweetGAI

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:01 pm

For those still wondering what this is all about - see 5:55-6:23 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSrXdkdfTxA

(One of my favorite bits of the movie  )
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 13):
I guess I'll have to "educate" you "aviation nuts" about snakes: (

'

Pretty well said. Snakes can't hear. They can sense vibration and such, but not actual sounds. With cobras, as long as you stand still and don't move, they won't go into the defensive mode or strike. If they're agitated, you just freeze and don't move. After a few seconds of being motionless, it's almost as if they can't see you anymore, and they'll go on their way. Maybe even right over your feet? With pit vipers like most of the venomous snakes we have in the USA, it's your heat signature that they target when they feel cornered or threatened. In that case they are likely to strike. However, I have observed rattlesnakes and Cotonmouth's in the wild when they are not in a state of alert of feeling threatened. In this case, a lot of time they won't even strike at your signature. Or you can even carefully pick them up and handle them as long as you don't squeeze it or hold onto it in a way where it feel's threatened and can't get away.

Also, a cobra has difficulty seeing straight ahead. This is why sometime you'll see snake charmers be able to kiss one, or slowly lean in and place their chin on the top of the snake's head. They can also pick them up by the head when they bring their hand in from behind where the snake can't see it.

The whole snake charmer thing is just a show for tourist who don't know anything about snakes. They're just following the movement of the flute. Nothing else. A lot of those show snakes have also had their venom glands taken out or their mouths sewn shut, I'm not sure if a cobra's fangs are rapidly replaced if they should lose one, but with snakes like American pit vipers, if I fang is broken off or falls out, a replacement takes it's place immediately. Also, pit vipers flanges are very long, and large in comparison to the cobras. There's are only a centimeter and pretty small in comparison.

[Edited 2011-03-27 21:24:42]

Superfly

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 am

I am terrified of snakes. However I do respect those that professionally handle snakes.

Lots of poisonous snakes here in Thailand.
I stumbled across a monocled cobras in the bathroom of a restaurant/winery 5 months ago. It was 6 feet long and headed for the same toilet I was. I am so glad it beat me to the toilet. Not sure how I would have reacted if it came inside the stall when sitting on the toilet.
The monocled cobra's venom is strong enough to kill an elephant.
It can accurately shoot venom in to one's eyes up to 6 feet and blind someone.

Quoting goblin211 (Thread starter):
I love snakes

You're crazy!   
Bring back the Concorde

ag92

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:10 am

Quoting goblin211 (Reply 3):
certainly someone's been to or is from India where this is common, no?

This isn't as common as you may think. I haven't seen a snake charmer in India at all, unless you consider the ones from the movies

Superfly

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 am

Quoting ag92 (Reply 19):
This isn't as common as you may think. I haven't seen a snake charmer in India at all, unless you consider the ones from the movies

Perhaps they put down their flutes and got better paying jobs in call centers.
LOL!   

Just kidding!  
I know Hollywood likes to play up stereotypes and create false images and false rumors about other countries.
I was told that you're more likely to encounter a panhandler threatening to have their snake bite you unless you give them money. I haven't been to India yet. Can anyone comment on that?
Bring back the Concorde

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):

Hey man, I'd say Bob from Bangalore is moving up in the world!

I know Hollywood likes to play up stereotypes and create false images and false rumors about other countries.

See Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the above. Not particularly surprising that many Indians loathe that movie.

I don't hate it for the stereotypes; I hate it because it's a stupid movie, and doesn't hold up to Raiders and The Last Crusade in any way.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

HAWK21M

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:11 am

Don't believe what you see in movies  
Welcome to the real world.

I haven't been to India yet

High time you did.....Its a world in itself.Different languages/Different climates/Different cultures/Different Religions/Different Terrain & best of all its the Worlds Largest Democracy.

Superfly

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 21):
Hey man, I'd say Bob from Bangalore is moving up in the world!

...and I don't blame him.
Making airline reservations and getting yelled at by customers over a headset for not getting business and 1st. class upgrades beats working with deadly snakes anyday!

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 21):
See Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the above. Not particularly surprising that many Indians loathe that movie.

I don't hate it for the stereotypes; I hate it because it's a stupid movie, and doesn't hold up to Raiders and The Last Crusade in any way.

I only saw it when it was new at the movie theaters when I was 11 years old.
Don't remember it being as good as the other Indiana Jones movies.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 22):
Don't believe what you see in movies
Welcome to the real world.

Of course not. I've always been sceptical of anything in the media.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 22):
High time you did.....Its a world in itself.Different languages/Different climates/Different cultures/Different Religions/Different Terrain & best of all its the Worlds Largest Democracy.

I want to go. It's a short flight from here in Thailand. I want to visit northern India in the winter time when it's cold. I've meet many nice people from India as well and I LOVE Indian food.
Bring back the Concorde

comorin

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
Lots of poisonous snakes here in Thailand.

Jeez! I thought all that was history. I spent my early life in Bangkok and there were plenty of horrid snakes. I have stepped on one in the garden, been jumped at by a snake that was snoozing under our car - absolutely terrifying for a 5-year old.

I agree with you that Man is at his most vulnerable in the bogs (toilet). As part of toughening up, my Dad would take us to his native village in South India. This implied a 50m barefoot walk to get to the outhouse, especially terrifying in the dark. Man, that's where I learned to hate critters of any sort. It's us vs. them. Pave the World!

Superfly

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 24):
Jeez! I thought all that was history. I spent my early life in Bangkok and there were plenty of horrid snakes. I

No in fact it's got worse.
Bangkok's population has more than quadrupled over the past 30 years and development has been pushing further and further out. Out in to areas that used to be swamp & grassland.
Also with more people, there is more food which brings more rats and thus more snakes.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...es-slither-into-more-bangkok-homes

Everyone I know here; rich, poor and all in between have had snake encounters. Especially those with homes at ground level. I will only live in high-rise condos here because of snakes and mosquitoes. Anyhow, since I am a non-Thai, I can't own land here anyway but I can own a condo. Luckily I work in a high-rise too.
I've been told that the original name for Suvarnabhumi was supposed to be S̄nāmbin ngoo (Snake Airport).
The area surrounding Suvarnabhumi has lots of snakes. A friend of mine in Bang Na which is near Suvarnabhumi saw a 7 foot long python in the garage of his condo complex. This was just 1 year ago.
Regardless, I love this place and I'm not gonna let some snakes scare me away!
I'm very cautions when pulling out my flute.
Bring back the Concorde

comorin

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):

What? with all those beautiful women around?

Superfly

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:40 am

Just frikkin' great....NOT!

a new species of snake called the ruby-eyed green pit viper (Cryptelytrops rubeus) has been discovered in Southeast Asia,

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...e=link_fb20100328ruby-eyedpitviper

Quoting comorin (Reply 26):

What? with all those beautiful women around?

Still need to be careful and not get bit.
Bring back the Concorde

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 23):
I LOVE Indian food.

The Food & the Music are the Best things out here.

comorin

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 28):
I LOVE Indian food.

Sigh. I wish some a.netter would post pics of Indian food so that we know what you are talking about.

baroque

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:48 pm

And started calling us all to tell us they are from Microsoft and out computers have a virus problem that if we just open the run command and type in "eventvwr" all will be well?

MD11Engineer

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 29):
I LOVE Indian food.

Sigh. I wish some a.netter would post pics of Indian food so that we know what you are talking about.

Nah, he´s got to send us samples.   

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HT

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Time for Rashni (see 0:26 ) ... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaLmXWUpFko
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

HAWK21M

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 29):

Chicken Tikka as a starter  
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):

Possibility but Freshness depends on the next direct connecting flight.

MD11Engineer

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 33):

Hey, we have a flight straight from my station to BOM! The only problem is that it is the first leg on a long Asia trip and will still go through HKG and OVD before it comes back 

Jan

comorin

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 34):
Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 33):

Hey, we have a flight straight from my station to BOM! The only problem is that it is the first leg on a long Asia trip and will still go through HKG and OVD before it comes back

But wait!! Indian curries always tastes better the next day, so there's hope yet!

Confuscius

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
...headed for the same toilet I was.

You're lucky it was only a snake and not Larry Craig.
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 36):
You're lucky it was only a snake and not Larry Craig.

That's the truth!   

Agreed!
I went across town yesterday to get some really good Indian food. They play some great Bollywood music in the background.
I love their Chicken tikka masala चिकन टिक्का मसाला, garlic naan bread and saffron rice.
Bring back the Concorde

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 am

So that means you can send accross some Fresh Food to BOM  
Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):

I went across town yesterday to get some really good Indian food. They play some great Bollywood music in the background.
I love their Chicken tikka masala चिकन टिक्का मसाला, garlic naan bread and saffron rice.

Try out the Sweet dishes too.....They are good.

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 38):

So that means you can send accross some Fresh Food to BOM

Actually my fiancee picked up some Indian recipes from her Indian colleagues and cooks this food from time to time.
(Most of the senior nursing staff in the nursing home she works in are either Filipino or Indian. Only the matron is Irish. My fiancee is the assistant matron. The next in the row is Indian. Her Indian colleagues are mostly from Kerala).

Jan

Superfly

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 38):
Try out the Sweet dishes too.....They are good.

Although I'm not a sweet tooth, I do like roti.

There is an Indian restaurant in San Francisco that served ground lamb. Is that common? I haven't seen that offered at any other Indian restaurant.
Bring back the Concorde

comorin

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 40):
There is an Indian restaurant in San Francisco that served ground lamb. Is that common? I haven't seen that offered at any other Indian restaurant.

Yes, it is very common. Seekh Kababs, Shami Kababs, Keema Curry, all very very tasty.

Superfly

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 41):
Keema Curry,

That's it! That's the one!
That stuff is delicious!
Now I know what to order next time.
I think I found my favorite Indian restaurant in Bangkok. It's way out in Silom. It's really good and very clean.
Bring back the Concorde

comorin

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:52 pm

[quote=Superfly,reply=42]That's it! That's the one!
That stuff is delicious!

Think I'll make some tonight....   

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Notice How this thread has shifted from Snakes to Food....  
Thats the power of Food.

On Sweet Dishes....Try the Rasmalai & I bet you will have another.

On Spicy stuff....The Chicken Biryani is fantastic.

Superfly

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 44):
Notice How this thread has shifted from Snakes to Food....
Thats the power of Food.

Has anyone eaten a snake?
Bring back the Concorde

Doona

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 45):
Has anyone eaten a snake?

I had rattlesnake in WY once. Not too interesting taste-wise, the memorable part was playing with the rattle, which still rattled (I suspected at the time that the "rattle" might be some fake novelty trinket, but now I'll just go with it, as it makes for a better story).

Cheers
Mats

Superfly

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:41 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 46):
I had rattlesnake in WY once. Not too interesting taste-wise

That is what I would suspect. They have no fat what so ever and I can't imagine them having much flavor.
When I saw that 2 meter long black cobra in the restroom here in Thailand, it was the kitchen staff that ran out with large butcher knives. They heard me screaming. They were mad when they couldn't find it because they wanted to cook it up and eat it.
Snakes sole purpose is to scare humans. There are other ways to control the rat population.
Bring back the Concorde