Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Other Hobbies Than Aviation

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:08 am

Hello A.netters!

I was wondering if anyone else had any other hobbies than aviation? My other big hobby is Space, I love stuff like planets, solar systems, galaxies... well the whole Universe! I find stuff like that interesting.

Look forward to hearing yours.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

flyerboy1990

RE: Other Hobbies Than Aviation

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:21 am

I really love cars! I don't know if I liked planes before or after that. And not super cars and muscle cars: more everyday vehicles. Also, I only know the American market cars, but it would be interesting to learn more about the European market.

I typically know:
---body styles as far back as mid nineties.
---the car by just looking at its lights at night, looking at wheels, interior, etc.
---the engine displacement and horsepower, how many speeds the transmission has.
---cost, and used prices considering mileage.

And another odd hobby is drawing floorplans for houses. I like looking at a home and being able to guess its floorplan (eg. where the stairs are, living areas, how many bedrooms/bathrooms). I was really caught up in the housing boom a few years ago and would try to design the largest house that would fit on my graph paper. But now I try to design smaller, more efficient homes. I have drawn hundreds of floorplans (some trying to replicate home builders, most my own imagination), but I have only kept about 30 good ones that I feel are realistic. Also, I go through phases of style. Sometimes I like ranches, then traditional colonials, then rowhouses, then some international trends. I know, it's weird...lol

So in other words, I should have pursued an automotive or construction career instead of nursing. But then they wouldn't be hobbies!!!
Flown in: 712, 722, 73G, 738, 752, DC10, CR2, CR9, A319, A320 Want to fly in: A330, 767, 777, MD80, E170 series

DeltaMD90

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:28 am

Shooting. Not target, skeet, or hunting, just shooting random trash. Hey, I live in Georgia, what can I say?   

AF340

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 am

Scuba diving! Whether it's on wreck or reefs, teaching or just enjoying the scenery - diving is a heck of a lot of fun! Helps that I work at a scuba shop, I suppose.

HT

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:15 am

Does "Travel the world" count here ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

san747

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 am

Quoting LGWflyer (Thread starter):

I was wondering if anyone else had any other hobbies than aviation? My other big hobby is Space, I love stuff like planets, solar systems, galaxies... well the whole Universe! I find stuff like that interesting.

I love reading about the Universe, string theory, theoretical physics, quantum physics, etc! It's amazing stuff to think about.

My other main hobbies besides aviation are baseball, football, and guitar. My teams are the Chargers and Padres (of San Diego, CA), I'm a kick-ass 1st baseman and wide receiver, and I've been playing guitar (I have two) since I was 13. In addition, I'm taking a beginning acting class this semester, and I'm really enjoying it, so who knows, maybe that will become another hobby as well!
Scotty doesn't know...

wilco737

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:49 am

Other hobbies than aviation are............ errrmmm................. Oh yeah: photography, cars, movies.... But this is it...

wilco737

mwhcvt

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 am

Photography, and not only planes, I have not submitted to here yet but hope to soon  
Fishing, I love to go fishing, have not done much over the last year because of initially health reason but would have gone for the last couple of months but I am very stubborn and refused to renew my fishing licence with only 2 months left of the renewal date
Driving, I know that this may sound odd to some but I love driving and will drive any chance I get thought with fuel currently running at £6.37 or $10.19 per gallon (4.55ltr gallon) that is getting more expensive by the day.

Matt
MWHCVT
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

aerorobnz

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:35 am

I love cars, reading about cars
I love travelling to see far off lands.
I love wilderness and wildlife
I love photography of all of the above.

I love adrenaline rushes too. Oh and I can make a mean cocktail.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 5):
I love reading about the Universe, string theory, theoretical physics, quantum physics, etc! It's amazing stuff to think about.

Yeah it is!

Quoting san747 (Reply 5):
My teams are the Chargers

I maybe be British but I do like American Football, I support the Jets, Went to see a game when I was in New York in January.

Quoting HT (Reply 4):

Sure does!

Braniff747SP

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Cars, trains, and buses... I'm also a film fan. Other than that, nothing, reall.y
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

ajd1992

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:18 pm

I love music - both playing and performing. I'm not so great at bass though. I love travelling but unfortunately on my meagre income of child benefit I can't afford it. I'm really getting into cycling as well, it's travelling and it's free so it suits me down to the ground!

GrahamHill

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:33 pm

well the whole Universe! I find stuff like that interesting.

Same here. I love watching and reading stuff about the universe! But I really suck at maths, so sometimes it is difficult for me to understand fully how it works   

Other than that, I'm a huuuuuuuuge motorsports fan. I go to races, and watch and read everything about motorsports.

I also like sports in general, but above all I'm a big football fan (I support my home team in France and FC Barcelona) and NBA fan (I don't support any team in particular, I just enjoy watching games when I can). I also like rugby, tennis, ski, etc.

I'm also interested in photography (especially motosports, landscape and portrait photography).
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

thegreatRDU

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:15 pm

European cars, football, electronic music, and deejaying pretty much it....
Our Returning Champion

NSMike

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Playing and performing music (drums)
bird photography
Cold War history... nuclear weapons development in particular
Golf... 12 handicap, shooting for single digit this year

c172akula

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:00 pm

My other hobbies:

-Golf
-Skiing
-Photography
-interest in architecture/urban development/skyscrapers

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 12):

Same here. I love watching and reading stuff about the universe! But I really suck at maths, so sometimes it is difficult for me to understand fully how it works

Yeah im not that great at maths, I kinda like reading up more about planets and stuff themeselves without all the maths involved lol.

GST

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Cycling, photography, carbon fiber work, DIY in general, cooking, computing. I'm interested academically in military history, science, and engineering in general. Add in a few computer games occasionally too.

But nothing beats the very aviation based flying of sailplanes  

Stabilator

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Some of mine include:

Reading
Writing (Personal Narratives)
Fishing (Im from the land of 10,000 lakes)
Deep sea Fishing (Totally different animal so it gets its own slot)
Computers
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

GBLKD

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Whenever I get spare time and spare ££££s I "enjoy" skinning my knuckles and swearing at this old girl

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/OrangeRat/01082006012-002.jpg

Nowhere near roadworthy yet but relieves a lot of stress dismantling and rebuilding various parts of it.

Revelation

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm also gaining an interest in astronomy and astrophysics, but at a layman's level.

Meaning I love watching history channel / science channel shows like "The Universe" and "How the Universe Works", etc.

I've tried kayaking last month, and want to do more of it this spring/summer.

I am a new home owner, and am interested in home maintenance and improvement.

I'm interested in progressive rock from the '70s, like Yes, early Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, etc.

Geez this is staring to sound like a singles ad!      
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

jetblue777

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Photography is my favorite hobby besides aviation.

I like to write, creating poems, articles, stories and etc. I'm also into History and Geography, ask me any country (and in most cases) I could identify the capital city. I've been memorizing these since i was 5 and it is stuck in my head since then. I also like to bake or cook and make it fancy-looking.

As for sports, I'm into swimming, volleyball and badminton. I've competed in several competitions before but my physical activities decreased when I entered high school as I focused on my grades and studying.
It's a cultural thing.

ShyFlyer

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Photography. I've also "recently" taken up writing.
I lift things up and put them down.

WESTERN737800

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Watching and playing basketball when my foot allows it. I like being around big rigs and driving them just enought to get scared. I like to do the occasional road trip. Just hanging out with friends.
Bring back Western Airlines!

UltimateDelta

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Quoting flyerboy1990 (Reply 1):
I really love cars!

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 2):
Shooting.

For me though, the target kind.

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 15):
Skiing

Also up there is drawing. Granted, most of my drawings are of airplanes, but I do branch out to other stuff too. I also like getting into technical things, like the CAD class I'm in at school. Lastly, I'm usually up to go for a run every once in a while (daily during my school's cross country season)  
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

YVRLTN

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:33 am

Playing music - I play the piano / keyboard & accordion. And kinda sing...
Photography - but mostly aviation related
Cars but mostly European trucks, particularly from the 1980's
Football - premiership & West Ham and England
Ice hockey - Vancouver Canucks
Modern history - 1914 onwards

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 7):
Driving, I know that this may sound odd to some but I love driving and will drive any chance I get thought with fuel currently running at £6.37 or $10.19 per gallon (4.55ltr gallon) that is getting more expensive by the day.

Me too, I love a good road trip, and where better than beautiful BC. I also love mudding and off roading. Hear you on the gas, though its my choice what vehicle I drive of course...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

ipodguy7

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:00 am

For Me:
Travel
Golf
Skiing
Big fan (and season tix holder) of the Nashville Predators (NHL), Tennessee Titans (NFL), Texas Rangers (MLB), and Dallas Mavericks (NBA)
Learning new languages (English (duh), Spanish, French, a little Russian, and I want to learn German and Arabic as well)
Day Trading haha
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

CXB77L

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:15 am

My other big hobby is Space, I love stuff like planets, solar systems, galaxies... well the whole Universe! I find stuff like that interesting.

Me too. Perhaps that stemmed from being a Star Trek fan  . Astronomy is one of my main interests. I never miss a documentary about space and the universe. I find it fascinating.

Other interests? Cars, mainly European and Australian cars. I collect quite a lot of die cast models, mostly planes and buses, but I've got a few 1:18 cars in my collection too. They are quite expensive, though. I saw a 1:18 Bugatti Veyron selling at AU$300, and a 1:18 Bentley Continental GT for about AU$270. I would've bought both if they hadn't been so far outside my budget.

I also have an interest in sport - not playing, but watching. I follow Formula 1, AFL and international cricket, but I also have a passing interest in NHL and EPL, though I've yet to select a team in either league  
Boeing 777 fanboy

Wolverine

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:26 pm

- Photography
- roaming around the internet
- riding my bike
- swimming (hopefully I will make it to some competitions)
- music
- cars
- building scale models (ok, of aircraft, so, maybe this doesn't count)
- in summer I will start with kitesurfing

And I have two cats and some fish, to take care of..
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 27):
Astronomy is one of my main interests. I never miss a documentary about space and the universe. I find it fascinating.

Yeah same here! I too also watch tons of shows like Journey to the Planets, Universe etc... Soon as they come on im glued to the TV!

airtrainer

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:17 am

Quoting HT (Reply 4):
-HT

Definitely count for me as well  

My other hobby is photography. I used to be a huge cycling fan but I don't practice anymore. Writing this makes me thinking I should try to ride my road bike again !
Apart from that I collect energy drinks cans and I like anything related to the little dog Snoopy.
I have other things that I like, but not to qualify as a hobby...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

MasterBean

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:36 pm

It's not really a hobby but I've taken an interest in motorbikes recently. With the price of petrol rising and the fact you can buy a bike with the performance of a car that costs £60k for the price of a 1.2 Clio, I have decided this is the way forward. Oh and cars are still cool, and church bell ringing isn't but I still enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK5T2-hSTjQ

I'm not in this video but it basically shows you what I do on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night. Oh and going to the pub makes it all worth while.

N776AU

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Bowling. I've been bowling my entire life. I even managed to shoot a sanctioned 300 last year.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Quoting N776AU (Reply 32):
I even managed to shoot a sanctioned 300 last year.

Wow that is a great achievement, well done!

iakobos

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:58 pm

In ancient times...
boy scout
flying (first looping, as a pax, at age 6)
football (the one played with the feet and a round ball)
tennis (high national ranking as a 20 yr old)
rugby
cycling (training at times, but for short spells, with a promising amateur named Eddy Merckx)
bowling (best serie: 14 consecutive strikes)
stamp collecting
reading (in 3 languages)
sport shooting (air rifles)
bombing (60 and 81mm mortars)
ham radio

Middle ages...
flying (ppl)
sailing
tennis
reading
ham radio
travel & adventure of all sorts (climbing, parasailing, trekking, safari, etc)

In recent times...
trying to appreciate Greek cuisine
trying to understand Greek humor
trying to find an embryo of logic in the place
travel
fishing
reading
resting

joshrice

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 pm

I have recently got back into following football. I used to have a season ticket for Crystal Palace for a good 4 or 5 seasons, but then stopped as I began to have less interest in the sport. Now the club has a new direction, I have really got back behind them this season and am planning on going to a few games before the summer break and definitely next season also.

Big fan of the internet. My life would have very little direction without it. Sad but true. I use it for literally everything and am generally interested in the topic. Have done numerous bits of web development both commercially and privately.

I like to mass debate. Discussing controversial topics with peers at college is always something which brings up a good giggle. Not talking one or two people either, I am talking classes full.

Strangely, I enjoy my current employment. Although it is nothing like what I want to do, I learn new things every day and I get a real kick out of sales and helping people. The company hasn't got the best reputation and that image is passed on to its staff, but our store has a bunch of clued up people and we are one of the rare exceptions of good stores, I believe anyway.

Xbox, gotta love online gaming. Love First Person Shooters: COD & MoH, as well as sports games like Fifa and F1. On topics of gaming, anybody who has Homefront care to give us a quick review? Worth it or not? Read mixed reviews online and really am tied to buy it or not.

Geezer

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:49 pm

quote=joshrice,reply=35

Xbox, gotta love online gaming. Love First Person Shooters: COD & MoH, as well as sports games like Fifa and F1. On topics of gaming, anybody who has Homefront care to give us a quick review? Worth it or not? Read mixed reviews online and really am tied to buy it or not.

Josh......

This is really going to "kill" you, if you are "into" online gaming..............have you heard about "Farmville" by Zynga?
My fiance', ( who is probably older than your grandmother ) has a "farm" on Farmville; I spend a lot of time on A.net during the winter months, and we are constantly fussing with each other over who gets to use the computer, since her laptop "crapped out". Well, ( don't laugh ), she's got me planting and harvesting strawberries, taking care of the ducks and chickens, and picking the damned apples when they are ready !

The good news is, in a world filled with people who have no work and no income, there are a bunch of "nerdy types" out there, programming all of this, keeping thousands of "old folks" off the street, and making six figure incomes in the process, not to mention the demand for computers it creates. So my take on gaming is........it's a great thing, for millions of people !

But hey, this is supposed to be about "what is MY hobby ! I have so many things I'm interested in, I hardly know where to start. I guess, just going by the amount of time I spend doing it, my "passion" for doing / creating "art" with the computer would have to be considered as a hobby. I hope to have some "examples" posted on another thread ( as soon as I am able to "figure out" the complexities of "storage space" ( which is now 10 MB ) since I upgraded to 1st class. ( The 2,000,000 bytes of "premium" was just too small ). Stay tuned...................

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

goblin211

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:45 pm

I like cars(I watch top gear all the time) I absolutely love to travel around the world by car/plane/train but not a cruise. watching movies, writing stories, which i do on and off.
From the airport with love

PlymSpotter

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Far too many really, I am always doing something:

DIY to quite an advanced level, I'll build everything I want from scratch and tackle all electrics/plumbing/construction jobs which are permissible by law.
Reading about Architecture
Reading about Landscape Architecture
Visiting parks and botanical gardens, and generally visiting precedent sites
Cycling, mostly off road mountain biking
Travelling, both flying and overland/sea
Photography
Writing, although I rarely get time lately
Geology, I have boxes and boxes of rocks and fossils
Badminton, although that has lapsed recently due to me having no time
Music, love metal and alternate genres
Hiking, it's great to get out and away from everything and being a few hundred meters from Dartmoor National Park means I have some of the best walks in the country to chose from.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...