Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mmedford
Topic Author

Golf: A New Endeavor In My Life.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:07 am

So I decided to pick up a new sport; I'm getting older, seems like alot of people I know...play. So looks like I need tools for the job.

Been browsing around looking at different sites, talking with people. Learning some of the terminology & lingo. Even loaded Tiger woods 2011 onto my ipod.

The question I have is where to start?

Is it recommended going with a packaged set? Or should I start building a set using "Super Game Improvement" irons sets.

Right now I'm looking at the Top-Flite XL 7000 package...but after talking with a few people; i'm debating if it's worth it for me to drop a few bucks and buy a set of those game improvement clubs.

Then there is that other side of it; where some guys recommended getting a used pair to knock around on...but then i've heard some others say...it could affect your playing on a psychology level of feeling inferior...

So what's your take on it...?

Thanks'
Mark
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

Dreadnought

RE: Golf: A New Endeavor In My Life.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:58 am

A few hints:

For a driver, find yourself a Taylormade Burner. They are nice and forgiving.

If you are brand new to the game, forget about fairway woods for now. Get some nice Caivity-backed cast irons. If you have the money for them, a used set of Ping G5s or G10s would be ideal. If not there are a number of good iron sets that you can use. just make sure you stay cavity-backed, and stay away from blades for now (actually those two bits of advice are the same).

Avoid those "super game improvement" sets. Also avoid hybrid iron sets. I tried to learn with those and it was terrible.

Your early games, all you need in your bag are your driver, 5 iron, 7 iron, Pitching Wedge and Sand Wedge, plus the putter of course. Don't bother with the rest until you get comfortable with those

Once you have the basics, then you can play with fairway woods, 60 degree wedges etc.

Good luck!

[Edited 2011-04-02 20:58:39]
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Confuscius

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:33 am

Make sure you hold your wood right and give it a good stroke.

Also, use cheap balls for now. It's guaranteed you'll lose a bunch of them.
Ain't I a stinker?

mmedford
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks for the replies guys...

I'm looking at the the well known brands atm; Callaway, Taylormade and really considering Wilson/Nike at the moment as well.

Along with trying to improve my playing, I do have to look good out there...lol

Also there is that other paranoia within me; I like matching clubs...so I think i'm going to go with a decent iron combo set; throw in a putter & driver and try it out for a while.

I'm wondering why you are against the SGI clubs, i've heard from others that it really improved their playing. So seeking a detailed opinion as well.

Dreadnought

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Quoting mmedford (Reply 3):
Also there is that other paranoia within me; I like matching clubs...so I think i'm going to go with a decent iron combo set; throw in a putter & driver and try it out for a while.

Don't bother. 5 Years ago I started playing with an all-new Adams set. Now, I use a Taylormade driver, Titlist fairway woods, a Cobra rescue hybrid, Calloway Irons (cavity-backs), a couple of Calloway CG15 wedges (completely different series), and a Ping putter, and Taylormade balls. You experiment and play with the particular clubs that feel good to you. Expect to change a few clubs every year or two.

I'm wondering why you are against the SGI clubs, i've heard from others that it really improved their playing. So seeking a detailed opinion as well.

Like I said, I started with one of those sets, and Adams Hybrid kit. The driver was OK. But the 3 and 4 irons were full hybrids, 5 and 6 were semi-hybrids, and 7,8,9, P and S were standard cavity-back irons. I found that the swing and feel for the 3-4 was completely different from the 5-6, which was in turn again different than the irons swing. The weights are different, and just feels weird. I like a normal, straight iron set because the swing is the same from the 2-iron to a wedge - all that changes is the length of the club. The weights are about the same, as is the swing (although you have no margin for error with 2 and 3 irons - they say that only God can hit a 2-iron right - but that's why you have fairway woods.)

So I suggest the standard set simply to keep it simple. You have a driver swing, and Iron swing, and eventually fairway woods and then all the funky short range stuff. The hard (and frustrating) part of learning to play golf is always the 2nd, 3rd, 4th shots. Driving is not that hard, because the ball is teed up and the tee area is always flat. But your next shot is on the fairway - you still have 2-300 yards to go, and you want to give it a good whack, but the ball is not teed up, might be in deep grass, or is on a slope. You either keep chunking it (hitting the ground well before the ball) or topping the ball (the club bounces off the top of the ball. You will need to learn to hit the ball squarely, and why not just learn it once rather than have a completely separate feel and swing every 2 clubs?

Fly2HMO

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:35 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 2):

EPIC 

Stabilator

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:43 am

YES!   

Dare I say buy a lower-end set of clubs and work on your swing. You could have better clubs than Tiger Woods and if your swing is still crap, those shiny pieces of metal won't help you one iota. The golf swing is many intricacies all tied together; it involves your hips, wrists, weight distribution, balance and more.

Most of all, get out and practice and don't get discouraged.

I'd also recommend buying a hybrid iron/ rescue club; it's my favorite club in my bag.

TaylorMade Burner Irons: http://www.golfgalaxy.com/TaylorMade...rMadeBurnerPlusMensIronSet/Product

Just remember to work on your swing.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

fxramper

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 am

Mark are we talking about your PS3 game Tiger Woods or are you actually swinging sticks on the green these days? I've been chunking an iron around since I was 9 years old. Played in high school and college. It's not a cheap sport to have for a hobby. If you think your going to stick with it, don't buy some starter set but go to a sports reseller and buy used equipment. Callaway is the easiest driver to hit for a noobie. I use a Titleist. Get a cavity back set of irons. I use Ping i3 blades. Ping i3 blades are more forgiving vs. a traditional blade. Wilson makes good wedges. I use Cobra Trusty Rustys. No belly putter and no spaceship one either. Titlesist makes a traditional cheap putter. Phil uses one. I use a Scotty Cameron Sante Fe in gun metal. Have had it 12 years and refinished it 4 times. No pro bag, get a Ping Hoofer at the resell shop. Don't spend any extra cash on a Pro V ball. Go to the local golf store and get your swing speed measured and let them make recommendations, but go to the reseller shops. Listen to the above, no SGI, and hybrid irons/woods. Adams makes a set of Tight Lies that are good, but everyone makes them now. Get a forgiving 3/4 wood and you should be fine. You still working at JFK? I'm moving up to EWR soon so we can tee it up.   

Confuscius

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:55 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 5):
Quoting Stabilator (Reply 6):

What I meant was you have to swing through the ball.  

Avoid watching the Golf Channel and reading golf magazines. Information overload, it'll just confuse the hell out of you. Like in aviation, do the K.I.S.S. method.
Ain't I a stinker?

hercppmx

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:05 am

If you have a big golf store near wear you live, go in and get fitted for clubs. I went to Golfsmith and they have you hit a few balls off the mat and use there computers to analyze your swing. Then they build the clubs up and let you hit a few more to make sure its comfortable, it does make a difference. At Golfsmith its $20 but the fee is waved if you order a set.

Instead of getting a packaged set, I'd find a store and get a used set of nicer clubs. As stated above there is no need to have all the same brand. I use taylormade burner irons, Ping G10 Driver and 3 wood, Nike 56 deg, and an odyssey blade putter. By mixing up the clubs you allow yourself to find something that is comfortable to you. Golf clubs are not a one size fits all thing, because everyone is different.

I'd start out with a few lessons $40-60 an hour is a good starting point. Also you'll be spending a lot of time on the driving range, practice makes you better not perfect. Start on some par 3 courses and move your way up to nicer courses.

Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of golf, its hard to believe chasing a little white ball around for 4 hours can be relaxing, thrilling, frustrating, and everything in between. It can become addicting and expensive and no one in history has truly masted it, few have come close. There is nothing more relaxing than walking 18 during twilight on a sunny day.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

Stabilator

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:19 am

Quoting hercppmx (Reply 9):
Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of golf, its hard to believe chasing a little white ball around for 4 hours can be relaxing, thrilling, frustrating, and everything in between. It can become addicting and expensive and no one in history has truly masted it, few have come close. There is nothing more relaxing than walking 18 during twilight on a sunny day.

Agreed! Although I've never played competitively, I've golfed some amazing courses. The game is amazingly therapeutic. More so if you're golfing Kapalua! A stunning course that I can't wait to get back to.

I also can't wait for the Masters!

BMI727

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:20 am

Reminds me of a business class I took in high school and we had an assignment to sell something to the teacher. I chose a golf club and proceeded to make the entire sales pitch a long string of double entendres. My classmates did a great job keeping straight faces, but to this day I don't know if the teacher was just playing it straight or genuinely didn't catch on.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

hercppmx

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:30 am

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 10):
Agreed! Although I've never played competitively, I've golfed some amazing courses. The game is amazingly therapeutic. More so if you're golfing Kapalua! A stunning course that I can't wait to get back to.

I also can't wait for the Masters!

I haven't played in Hawaii, I have played in Okinawa, very similar climates so i'd venture to say I know exactly what you mean!!! I played in Morocco, very nice course that thanks to the exchange rate was very cheap, I still remember the caddy I had there, probably the best teacher I've ever had.

mmedford
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:08 am

So i've been doing alot of reading...and lord knows how much debating...

I've decided on TaylorMade Burner 2.0 line!

Now Tell me what should I get to be able to play Par-3 courses...

Again; I like matching, so bear with me on my ignorance...I have a bit of OCD, and I rather statisfy it. Golf is all about confidence and having confidence in my equipment is important to me. Right now the biggest concern I have to converting my swing from baseball to golf. I intend to find me an instructor, to hit the driving range with.

Drew; I'm still at JFK... I shall be in NYC all summer; so you got it. Good luck in Joisey.

hercppmx

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:33 am

The Burners are very forgiving to learn with.

Quoting mmedford (Reply 13):

All you really need for par 3 courses is 7-9 irons depending on your distance, P wedge, Putter, and a ball. I've found that Par 3 courses are sometimes the most fun. The biggest tip I have for beginners is something I found out after hurting my back, It's never about swing speed and crushing the ball, a slow swing with perfect form will out drive a fast swing with crap form. Slower swings for beginners also can help with accuracy, which will in itself lower your score.

fxramper

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Drew; I'm still at JFK... I shall be in NYC all summer; so you got it. Good luck in Joisey.

Thanks man. I'm hubbing out of EWR, but I can move around pretty easy. I'll take your money on the golf course with you using the Taylormade line.   

comorin

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Gentlemen, a question: Would you take up Golf if you have a bad back (disk issues)? It's just that a lot of my aging friends are getting into the game, and trying to drag me in.

Thanks.

Stabilator

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 16):

My father has had to stop playing due to several back issues. Golfing was taxing on his bad back and was always stiff the rest of the day after he played. I believe he has disk issues, but not positive.

It's up to you though, as his case isn't the end-all-be-all.

sw733

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 6):

Dare I say buy a lower-end set of clubs and work on your swing.

I agree with this. My first set of woods actually had wooden heads (and I am only 27...meaning I'm not that old, they were that cheap) that my dad bought from a garage sale in Windhoek when I was about 9 years old. I developed my swing and he rewarded me 1.5 years later with brand new clubs. That way, if I decided I hated it, or was really god awful and didn't care to improve...he wasn't out that much money with the original clubs.

comorin

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 17):

Appreciate your sharing that...I'll check with my Doc too.

Dreadnought

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:42 pm

I've decided on TaylorMade Burner 2.0 line!

Good choice.

Well, if you want to keep it easy to start with, no problem with Par 3 courses. It's pretty depressing to deal with a 570 yard your first time out.

mmedford
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:46 pm

To give you guys an idea; beyond the driving range and for the immediate future...I would be playing on the courses listed here; http://www.golfnyc.com/

Everything except the black course...

fxramper

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 am

Quoting mmedford (Reply 21):
Everything except the black course...

...and from the ladies tees with that TaylorMade.   

mmedford
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 22):
...and from the ladies tees with that TaylorMade.

They are a very respectable brand!

mmedford
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 am

Also.... Graphite vs. Steel?

Mudboy

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:59 am

One thing nobody has mentioned is your shaft? Depending on your swing speed, you always need the right stiffness in your shaft. Graphite is for old people, but if you swing hard you need a stiff shaft, if you swing slow, you need a regular shaft. Length and shaft stiffness, is what a lot of golfers seem to forget, when choosing clubs. I was taught by a man that could play to a 1 handicap right or left handed, and he would preach always use the same swing regardless of what club you were using, just let the length and loft do the work. This guy took me from being an 80s golfer down to shooting scratch.Focus on hitting your PW and your 7 iron on the range, to develop your swing, and work on the others from there.
Golf can be fun, or very frustrating at times. (No pun, was intended in the post, you dirty minded fools) 

mmedford
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 am

Now where should I go to be fitted for length & stiffness?

Mudboy

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 am

Quoting mmedford (Reply 26):
Now where should I go to be fitted for length & stiffness?

Some golf shops have a machine that can measure your length, and judge how much stiffness is needed in your shafts, depending on club speed.

[Edited 2011-04-05 00:57:32]

cerretaman

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:55 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 25):
One thing nobody has mentioned is your shaft?
but if you swing hard you need a stiff shaft, if you swing slow, you need a regular shaft. Length and shaft stiffness
just let the length and loft do the work
u mad cause i'm stylin' on you?

Dreadnought

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Quoting mmedford (Reply 24):

Steel for Irons. Graphite is fine for drivers but I find graphite on irons to be wobbly and imprecise on the clubs where you need the most precision.

sw733

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):
I find graphite on irons to be wobbly and imprecise on the clubs where you need the most precision.

I hate graphite shafts...absolutely hate them. I owned a graphite-shafted driver once and gave it to my buddy for free because I hated it so much. Just personal preference.

fxramper

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Quoting mmedford (Reply 24):

I mentioned in my first post; get your swing speed measured. I got rifle 6.0 in my i3s. Fore!   

PC12Fan

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Here are some good tips;

1. BACK STRAIGHT, KNEES BENT, FEET SHOULDER WIDTH APART.
2. FORM A LOOSE GRIP.
3. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!
4. AVOID A QUICK BACK SWING.
5. STAY OUT OF THE WATER.
6. TRY NOT TO HIT ANYONE.
7. IF YOU ARE TAKING TOO LONG, LET OTHERS GO AHEAD OF YOU.
8. DON'T STAND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF OTHERS.
9. QUIET PLEASE...WHILE OTHERS ARE PREPARING.
10. DON'T TAKE EXTRA STROKES.

WELL DONE!

NOW FLUSH THE URINAL, GO OUTSIDE, & TEE OFF.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

mmedford
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 am

I'm going to start losing my mind soon...holy christ. I'm ready to buy gear already and start losing balls...

So many different brands, hype, coin-phrases...

HELP!?

Dreadnought

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 am

Quoting mmedford (Reply 33):
So many different brands, hype, coin-phrases...

I like the Taylormade Burner Red (TP) balls because a) they are fairly cheap, and b) they go pretty straight in spite of mishits, and don't hook or fade nearly as much as some of the more expensive balls. Unfortunately I believe they have stopped production of these.

As unmanly as it may sound, for beginners you might look at some of the "ladies'" balls. They are optimized for women who generally have a slower club head speed.

Calloway Warbirds are pretty nice - similar in feel to the Burners.

mmedford
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 am

Wasn't referring to balls yet...more of the act of losing said balls..lol

I lack gear at the moment...

fxramper

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:29 am

This is officially the longest thread on golf in Anet history.   

Quoting mmedford (Reply 35):
Wasn't referring to balls yet...more of the act of losing said balls..lol

Read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf. This is the best book every written on golf period.

mmedford
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 36):
This is officially the longest thread on golf in Anet history

We strive to be Number 1, around these parts...

mmedford
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 pm

OK I GOT IT!

Adams Idea Tech v3 Hybrid Set... Steel shafts

opinions before I drop $800 on clubs?

Dreadnought

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Quoting mmedford (Reply 38):
Adams Idea Tech v3 Hybrid Set... Steel shafts

Oh, god...

mmedford
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 39):
Oh, god...

Seriously...speak stupid to me... I understand electronics...this is unknown territory for me...

Dreadnought

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm

'Cause that's the kind of set that I (and others here) having been trying to warn you away from. I had the older version of exactly that set.

The Burner 2.0s you mentioned earlier are a far better choice - you'll be happy with them for years to come. A guarantee that within a year you will want to get rid of the Adams Idea set.

EasternSon

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Dude, I wouldn't worry so much about the exact set of clubs that you buy. You can walk into a Golfsmith or Dick's Sporting Goods or any other place and tell them that you're a beginner, and you need inexpensive, forgiving clubs. Or, buy a used set. Point being, there are bigger things to worry about.

If you plan on getting good, and doing it quicker, find a good instructor. Ask the best golfer you know if he's got a favorite teacher. Talk to two or three before settling on one.

Trust me, the chances of you stumbling onto a golf swing that is anywhere near good form is highly unlikely. And, every bad swing you make will have long-lasting effects on your golf game.

Start out right - I wish I had!

I played for years without taking lessons, and got fairly good. But, with just a little instruction, I started hitting the ball so much more consistently, longer, straighter. Still, I struggle to not revert back to my "old" swing because I did it wrong for so long.

Good Luck! It's the best game in the world.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

mmedford
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Well you guys have to understand my thinking...

I am a technician; sure I have the mental capability to work above & beyond. But I am worthless without quality tools. So I am seeking those quality tools.

My thinking is that a quality set of hybrids would be the best thing for me...due to hybrids being very forgiving.

Though dreadnought; makes a good point of I would like a set that would help me start & grow.

So I think I will revert back to my original choice of a Burner 2.0 set.

Dreadnought

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 pm

Quoting mmedford (Reply 43):
.due to hybrids being very forgiving.

I started with almost the same set as those Adams, having heard the same thing - that they are very forgiving. In my experience, that was a load of BS. They were very unforgiving. The 3 and 4 were sometimes hitable, and 7 and higher were fine, but I never, ever managed to hit the 5 and 6 irons right. Those were the "semi-hybrid" clubs.

mirrodie

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 am

Quoting mmedford (Thread starter):
I'm getting older, seems like alot of people I know...play.
Quoting mmedford (Thread starter):
So what's your take on it...?

Aren't you young? I only started working out at 30. 

My take? Enjoy it. Done it once, no real fascination with it. Minigolf is much more challenging.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

kiwiinoz

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 am

My condolences for being afflicted with the nasty golf disease

You will spend many moments disconnected from those around you, staring off into the distance visualising your swing, and trying to figure out, "If I knew the water was on the right, then why the f*ck did I still hit it to the right??!!"

Dreadnought

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 46):
You will spend many moments disconnected from those around you, staring off into the distance visualising your swing, and trying to figure out, "If I knew the water was on the right, then why the f*ck did I still hit it to the right??!!"

Well you know why they call it golf, right? 'Cause all the other 4-letter words were already taken.

aerobalance

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 am

I now rate at a 7 handicap, playing Mizuno MP-63's and a 2008 Burner TP driver and other decent clubs in the bag (The new drivers out now don't do anything for me).

However, this doesn't mean much......

Take golf lessons from a PGA golf professional. You're grip, stance, posture, spine angle, take-away, hip shift, staying connected, hands forward on impact and follow through will matter more than any kind of clubs you buy at this time.

Having said that, buy decent equipment, cavity back game-improvement irons for now. A decent driver (maybe a year old design can be found for $150) I'd buy good 54 and 60 degree wedges and a good putter, the short game tools will be good for life if needed.

Drive for show, put for dough.

Have fun!
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

mmedford
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Quoting aerobalance (Reply 48):
Take golf lessons from a PGA golf professional. You're grip, stance, posture, spine angle, take-away, hip shift, staying connected, hands forward on impact and follow through will matter more than any kind of clubs you buy at this time.

Having said that, buy decent equipment, cavity back game-improvement irons for now. A decent driver (maybe a year old design can be found for $150) I'd buy good 54 and 60 degree wedges and a good putter, the short game tools will be good for life if needed.

This is my intentions...maybe I won't; depending if I get a paycheck next week...lol (come on congress!)...

See the hardest part of this is, initially shopping around; trying not to fall for the hype of advertisement & buying a set of quality clubs.

But the goal at this point; is to get a set of irons & build the rest of my bag around that...through playing and filling in the gaps.

the other hard part of this; is that I've played baseball for the past 10+ years. It's trying to convert my swing over...