Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DAL767400ER
Topic Author

Sandstorm Causes Mass Pileup In Northern Germany

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:25 pm

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,755945,00.html

Quote:
Several people were killed and dozens more injured after a mass pileup on a German autobahn involving more than 40 vehicles Friday. The accident, which took place on the A19 highway near Rostock in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, was apparently caused by a sandstorm.

Police sources suggested five people died, while the senior paramedic official at the scene spoke of at least four deaths. Around 60 were believed to have been injured, with about 40 requiring hospital treatment. According to medical facilities in Rostock, Güstrow and Bad Doberan, victims had mostly suffered broken bones, bruises, sprains and head injuries.

Massive Pile of Rubble

The pileup occurred at around 12.30pm local time at Kavelstorf, just south of Rostock, according to a police spokesman. In total, 17 cars and three trucks -- including a tanker carrying hazardous goods which apparently spilt some of its load -- caught fire on the Rostock-bound carriageway. In the opposite direction, towards Berlin, 23 cars were involved in the accident. The roadway at the scene resembled a massive pile of rubble. Several people were trapped in their cars, a police spokesman said.

Bloody insane, RIP to the victims.

Derico

RE: Sandstorm Causes Mass Pileup In Northern Germany

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:27 pm

At the risk of sounding heartless, and I'm sorry for the victims, but my first question was ''where the heck would a sandstorm originate in Germany''?
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

alberchico

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:27 pm

I thought sandstorms only happen in desert areas. RIP to the victims.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

OA260

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Cant believe this also just seen it on the news. Certainly shocking. RIP victims.

iakobos

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
At the risk of sounding heartless, and I'm sorry for the victims, but my first question was ''where the heck would a sandstorm originate in Germany''?

Not really a sandstorm, but in this particular place the highway is in a trench (kind of) with fields on both sides.
A 100km/h wind moved a lot of sand and fine ground, visibility dropped to nothing and there you have it.

wolbo

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:35 am

Kinda scary how you can be driving along safely and suddenly through no fault of your own can get into dangerous situations like these.

Reminds me of this video from a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOhgMAOrp0c

prebennorholm

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 2):
I thought sandstorms only happen in desert areas.

It is quite common in this part of the world. What is needed is the combination of newly ploughed fields, dry weather and strong wind.

Yesterday we had a storm with its center hitting first the central west coast of Denmark, then moving east-south-east to north-eastern Germany and Poland. We registered gusts up to 33 m/s which translates to 74 mph in US language.

Here in Denmark the sand storm caused serious traffic problems, but I haven't heard of any accidents. In some places visibility was reported to be down to 50 feet.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs