Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ipodguy7
Topic Author

Early US Presidential 2012 Anet Poll.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 am

So, for my fellow Americans,
Who will you be voting for in November 2012?
Obama, McCain, Romney, Sarah Palin, Donald Trump, Newt Gringrich, Ron Paul, Tim Pawlenty, or someone else?

Personally, I'd take anybody other than Obama again, but I haven't quite decided who to vote for.

stratosphere

RE: Early US Presidential 2012 Anet Poll.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 am

I personally like Mike Huckabee..I do not like Obama but I DESPISE Tim Pawlenty. It is personal with him I hope he never gets on a ticket. My fear is that the GOP will not put up anyone who is worth a s**t. So in saying that my prediction is that Obama will get a second term only because so far I do not see on the repubs side anyone who excites me and I am sure other moderates like me.

NorthstarBoy

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:54 am

Obama for sure....but I *might* vote for Romney, Trump, or Ron Paul, but only if they distance themselves and totally disavow the Tea Party movement. Romney, Trump, and Paul are the only GOP candidates who i dont consider to be nutcases.

Aloha717200

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 am

I'm voting for Obama.

BAKJet

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Obama. Not that I love everything he's done (or not done as the case may be...), but I agree with his views on most things.

einsteinboricua

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Unfortunately, I, a natural born US citizen, can't vote due to where I live. Nevertheless my vote would go to Obama if I could vote.

elmothehobo

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Obama.

Unless Republicans abandon the Palin-Bachman-Gingrich-(and now Trump?)-train wreck and field a candidate like Jon Huntsman, I'm sticking with the donkey.

futurepilot16

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Obama, without a doubt. I feel that the country is going in a good direction right now. Voting in a Republican would turn it around 180 degrees.

Fly2HMO

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Trump, assuming he runs. The last thing we need is yet another career politician.

Otherwise, not sure.

sw733

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Quoting ipodguy7 (Thread starter):
Who will you be voting for in November 2012?

Who knows, I don't have a crystal ball

Sarah Palin

The only people dumb enough to think she actually has a shot are the far left and the very far right

I'd take anybody other than Obama again

Hope you don't regret this down the road...

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 2):
Obama for sure
Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 3):
I'm voting for Obama.
Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 7):
Obama, without a doubt.

Ah, blind party line voting. Not even sure who he will be going against, but you already know you will vote for him. That worries me.

As for me, who knows. I'm not a huge Obama fan, but I think the entire US political system is broken right now, and both parties are to blame. I have a feeling come November 2012 I will hate both people running for POTUS, and will either have to decide between awful and really awful, or a third party that has zero chance.

[Edited 2011-04-10 09:06:40]

Braniff747SP

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 1):
So in saying that my prediction is that Obama will get a second term only because so far I do not see on the repubs side anyone who excites me and I am sure other moderates like me.

I agree. ( I can't vote, by the way- to young.) All the candidates are, for me, or either far to on the right side (Tea Party), or I don't like them (Trump.) I still hold hope that the RNC will field someone good, because I'm no Obama fan... But I rather have Obama than any Tea Party candidates...

STT757

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 1):
My fear is that the GOP will not put up anyone who is worth a s**t. So in saying that my prediction is that Obama will get a second term only because so far I do not see on the repubs side anyone who excites me and I am sure other moderates like me.

I read a recent political piece making the comparison to a potential 2012 GOP candiate and the Dukakis campaign, I think the Republicans are going to put someone out there to brow beat the President during the campaign. Someone with no chances of winning, if the GOP were serious about retaking the White House in 2012 their candidate would be Romney.

Romney though is having trouble raising money because conservatives don't like him for two reasons, he's Mormon and the whole Massachusetts healthcare law he enacted.

The Republicans are probably waiting for 2016, and I think their candidate will end up being Jeb Bush. One the Democratic side I could see Hillary Clinton running, she will be 68.

baroque

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Wow. Can we stop this thread now and have it used to declare the next elections? That would be great. Not that Obama has done well, but just imagine what the others would have done.

Next question, will the Obama supporters actually get out and vote?

Superfly

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Donald Trump.
IF he decides to run and is a viable candidate by the time the California primaries rolls around, I'll switch parties to vote for him.

Mike Huckabee.
If he wins the Republican nomination, I'll vote for him as well.

If none of those two are the Republican nominee, then I'll sit out the 2012 Presidential elections and only vote on state & local candidates/issues.
In 2008, I voted for Obama and I wont make that mistake again.
Mitt Romney is no different than Barack Obama. No point in switching Presidents if they are the two choices.

Aloha717200

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
Ah, blind party line voting. Not even sure who he will be going against, but you already know you will vote for him. That worries me.

Is it wrong to support the president and want to keep him in office? I do not agree with the platform of any republican candidates that have so far indicated an interest in running in 2012, nor do i agree with any of those who are speculated to be interested in running. I am especially bothered that the Tea Party is the tail wagging the Republican dog, and furthermore I know that the single greatest goal of the republican party is to repeal Obamacare, which is a law that will definitely save my life as I have heart trouble but can't get coverage because it's pre-existing.

This isn't just blind party voting. I support Obama for a host of reasons, my very health and well-being first and foremost among them.

futurepilot16

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):

Are you kidding me? it's either Obama or a republican. I personally don't like the opinions expressed by the republican party the last few years. So I should still vote for a republican?

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 14):
Is it wrong to support the president and want to keep him in office? I do not agree with the platform of any republican candidates that have so far indicated an interest in running in 2012

einsteinboricua

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
The only people dumb enough to think she actually has a shot are the far left and the very far right

Which is everyone. Is anyone considered center? All Democrats are left and the Tea Party is far right. Since Republicans don't want to be though of as left, they'll keep pursuing a right (right as in the political spectrum) political agenda.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):

This isn't blind party voting. Blind party voting would to support a person when he/she has not even declared his/her candidacy and has no clear platform yet.

DfwRevolution

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 11):
Someone with no chances of winning, if the GOP were serious about retaking the White House in 2012 their candidate would be Romney.

The GOP has viable candidates outside of Romney. And frankly, the candidate might not matter. There are plenty of independents and moderate Democrats who regret voting for Obama. Looking at the electoral map from 2008 and Obama won the following states by a margin of less than 5%:

North Carolina
Indiana
Florida
Ohio

After the redistribution of electoral votes resulting from the 2010 Census, those four states will total 73 votes. In the 2010 midterms, Republicans gained handily in those states:

+12 House seats
+4 Senate seats (out of 4)
+2 Governors (out of 2)

It's probably fair to say that those swing states have tipped back toward favoring a Republican. If the Republican candidate gained those states and held all the states that McCain won, the candidate would have 252 votes. That's probably 1-2 states away from victory. Provided that:

A. Congressional Republicans stick to the strategy they honed this week
B. Primary voters don't re-nominate John McCain
C. Obama doesn't suddenly learn to the job he hasn't been doing for 3 years

any of the "serious" GOP candidates have as good a chance as any to win the election.

SESGDL

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:14 pm

While I've been completely and utterly disappointed by Obama, I'd rather die then willingly vote for some of the Republicans out there with their Christian "values" and teabagger supporters. No party with the likes of Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Sharon Angle, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich, etc. is getting my vote. So my vote will be going to Obama in 2012.

Jeremy

mmedford

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:21 pm

erm? No Ron Paul?

fill

fill

lowrider

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Haven't seen a candidate that I would get excited about yet. If the voting were held today, I might pull for Ron Paul as a first choice, Pawlenty as a second. I am still hoping for a libertarian conservative to come out of the woodwork.

Cadet985

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm a registered Democrat, but don't know if I would vote for Obama again. I will wait to see who runs against him and then do my research. I'm not just going to pick a name out of a hat. I could vote Republican, if I like a candidate's views on the issues.

I just don't like the voting system here in PA where for the primary election (generally held in May), you have to vote your party.

Marc

NorthstarBoy

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 17):
A. Congressional Republicans stick to the strategy they honed this week

Is that the strategy of nearly bringing the government to it's knees to armtwist the Dems into agreeing to billions of dollars in budget cuts that are mainly going to affect the poor? Honestly, I'd have preferred that Obama simply allow the government to shut down, then people might finally see the true nature of the tea party and sweep them from office with a broom in 2012.

B. Primary voters don't re-nominate John McCain

It's not going to happen, McCain will be like 76, no one in their right mind is going to elect a 76 year old man to the most stressful job in the world. In the last election i might well have voted for McCain, but the idea of Sarah Palin being so close to the presidency terrified me.

C. Obama doesn't suddenly learn to the job he hasn't been doing for 3 years

My biggest frustration with Obama is that for 2 years we Democrats had an almost bulletproof majority in the senate and a majority in the house and he didn't have the ability to somehow get the party into lockstep to get passed everything he wanted passed against the wishes of the GOP. We needed to unite as a party and effectively lock out the GOP but Obama apparently wasn't capable of creating that kind of unity within his own party.

Honestly, I'm starting to call Obama President Cave. It seems like every chance he gets he caves to the GOP and gives them what they want to avoid a fight. It's gotten to the point where I might consider voting for a reasonable republican candidate or a democrat other than Obama. The key word however is reasonable and whomever i vote for must have absolutely no affiliation with the tea party.

Aeri28

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:55 pm

No republican for me. So no need to be 'worried' about knowing far in advance. Although, I admit, my ears earlier earlier on had 'thought' about the interestingness of Trump, but when his birther self emerged, that was thrown out the window. How about Suzie Orman? All in all, the country is going in a good direction.

DfwRevolution

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 22):
Is that the strategy of nearly bringing the government to it's knees to armtwist the Dems into agreeing to billions of dollars in budget cuts that are mainly going to affect the poor?

They drove a hard bargain, eliminated wasteful spending that isn't doing anything for anyone, and compromised so as not to allow ideology to get in the way of pragmatism. A lot of critics are calling last week a major win for the Republicans. If they keep it up - substantive proposal, compromise, then results - it's the kind of thing people get behind.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 22):
It's not going to happen, McCain will be like 76, no one in their right mind is going to elect a 76 year old man to the most stressful job in the world.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

goblin211

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 am

Let the republicans decide who they'll nominate then ask this question later.

ALTF4

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Mike Huckabee.
If he wins the Republican nomination, I'll vote for him as well.

Huckabee or Trump for me - whichever I happen to think has the better chance at the time.

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 18):
teabagger

windy95

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Anyone who supports a balanced budget amendment. And really means it.

slider

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Herman Cain

Love the tone he's taken, the erudition, the adherence to Constitutional principles.

photopilot

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 am

Got my license sticker all ready to go....  

[Edited 2011-04-11 17:06:35]

Mudboy

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:37 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 8):
Trump, assuming he runs. The last thing we need is yet another career politician.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):
Sarah Palin

Excellent point!

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
If none of those two are the Republican nominee, then I'll sit out the 2012 Presidential elections and only vote on state & local candidates/issues.
In 2008, I voted for Obama and I wont make that mistake again.
Mitt Romney is no different than Barack Obama. No point in switching Presidents if they are the two choices.

I did the same thing in the 2004 election

My vote is for Trump if he runs, if he does not, then it is "none of the above"

Mir

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 am

Obama, McCain, Romney, Sarah Palin, Donald Trump, Newt Gringrich, Ron Paul, Tim Pawlenty, or someone else?

Out of all the above, Obama, but I won't be happy about it.

I reserve the right to change my mind about Pawlenty depending on how much he panders to the social conservative wing of the party (the less, the better).

-Mir

Airport

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:17 am

Probably Obama, but like others have said, I probably won't be happy about it. I'm not one of those people that doesn't vote to show my unhappiness with the candidates.. I think that just does more harm than good. At the same time though, I've just become so jaded with our political system, and politics and money in general, it's hard not to get the sense that just about everyone's corrupt and zero part of me believes that old politicians are going to get us out of this mess.

Cheers,
Anthony/Airport

cpd

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:36 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 8):

It's ironic that. If he runs, then he becomes a career politician, by virtue of that being his "career".  

If I could vote, it'd be Sarah Palin for sure!  It would be incredible to see her Govern the country - just while I'm far away on the other end of the world where I'm not affected by whatever she does. 

baroque

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:48 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 33):
other end of the world where I'm not affected by whatever she does.

Just you little joke! I am sure I don't need to tell you that is a fond hope or that even with the rise of China it is just not true. See the Aus financial markets hanging on the passing of the US budget last Friday. With Palin in charge we too would suffer. Just wait until the arguments start over the debt limit!!

Superfly

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:27 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 33):
If I could vote, it'd be Sarah Palin for sure! It would be incredible to see her Govern the country - just while I'm far away on the other end of the world where I'm not affected by whatever she does.
Quoting Baroque (Reply 34):
With Palin in charge we too would suffer. Just wait until the arguments start over the debt limit!!

Very true.
Not to mention, she can't see Australia from her house. Therefore you're alien to her and she just may drop bombs on you without Congressional approval.

Superfly

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:30 pm

***update***

Donald Trump is now tied for 1st. place in the latest CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.
This is ironic that this the day after Mitt Romney formally announced his plans to run for President.
Romney had been the front-runner and now has fallen in to 5th place, behind Trump, Huckabee, Palin and Gingrich.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/donald-trump-tops-latest-poll/

Trump 2010!

windy95

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):
Trump 2010!

Right now I am with you. Sick and tired of the same old retread politicians. A true outsider that knows how to run something and tells it like they see it.

fxramper

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 3):
I'm voting for Obama.

I'd love to see Bayh get the nomination.   

baroque

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
Not to mention, she can't see Australia from her house. Therefore you're alien to her and she just may drop bombs on you without Congressional approval.

OK pay that one. Mind you it is quite a relief to know she cannot see us from her house. We just might keep under her radar. Thetis decoys being placed in the Pacific as I type. Just as long as she keeps trying to detect us with her Naxos.  

B6JFKH81

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm

While I do not agree with quite a bit of things on the Republican side (I am a registered non-party affiliate, so I don't agree with everything on the Democrat side either), I would actually vote for Trump if he ran. Not because of his popularity or fame, but because he would try to run the country like a business which is what we need right now (IMHO). Well, that, and I would love to see him say this to Obama:

tommy767

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:18 pm

As a registered independent, if Trump doesn't do anything stupid I'll probably be voting for him in 2012. Huckabee is alright too, a very strong public speaker. Even Bill Clinton is a fan of him. I don't like Romney or Palin. I don't think either of them have any proven credentials to run a country, similar to Barack Obama inexperience in 2008. Gingrich is fit for the house, not the executive. As a matter of fact if he got far in the running I'd be scared.

Obama needs to go. Everyone, think back to where you were 3 year ago in 2008. Nothing has changed from when Bush left and Obama took over: debt is extremely high, wars in the middle east are indecisively still persisting, the senate and house are useless in getting anything done, unemployment is high, oil prices skyrocketing, quality of life in the US is in the toilet. Obama has proven to make a lot of phony promises that he did not deliver on and most importantly is not a strong leader. We need a strong leader to address and do something these issues instead of the beat around the bush 'Kubayah' rhetoric we are recieving on an everyday basis from Washington. And I'm not sure about all of you but I really can't stand Obama's speeches anymore -- He comes off as this smug 'know it all'.

Trump is going on the Reaganish philosophy of "Making America Great Again." I think that's what we need right now more than ever.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 9):

Ah, blind party line voting.

Somewhat but more similar to 2004 and independents with Bush -- "I don't like Bush, but we're in a war so I'll vote for him anyway."

Quoting STT757 (Reply 11):
Someone with no chances of winning, if the GOP were serious about retaking the White House in 2012 their candidate would be Romney.

He's extremely hypocritical. He's not a good fit at all for republicans.

Quoting Airport (Reply 32):
Probably Obama, but like others have said, I probably won't be happy about it.

If you don't like it, keep an eye on what other candidates are doing. You should be happy with your vote.

elmothehobo

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 40):
Not because of his popularity or fame, but because he would try to run the country like a business which is what we need right now (IMHO). Well, that, and I would love to see him say this to Obama:

You mean into the ground?

B6JFKH81

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Quoting elmothehobo (Reply 42):
You mean into the ground?

Umm....we've already been run into the ground, so at this point it's either we're going to bury ourselves DEEPER into debt (which has been done this entire presidency thus far), or get ourselves out. I'm hoping for door #2.  

Longhornmaniac

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Probably Obama.

Cheers,
Cameron

BAKJet

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 38):
I'd love to see Bayh get the nomination.

No, most all Democrats hate him since he is, in many people's opinions, responsible for the Democrats losing the Indiana US Senate seat last year. (but I think you realize that. haha) If a more liberal Democrat than Obama, who had more of a backbone, would run, I would strongly consider voting for them.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 37):
and tells it like they see it.

AKA makes all other countries hate us....

Superfly

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Quoting BAKJet (Reply 45):
AKA makes all other countries hate us....

Those countries you speak of hate the US regardless.
Electing Obama hasn't made any country love us. No matter how many dictators he's bowed too and all of the apologies he's made, some people will hate the US regardless.

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 41):

My thought's exactly.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 40):

My thought's exactly.

I wish Donald Trump all the best and I haven't been this excited about a candidate since Bill Clinton in 1992.

BAKJet

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):
Those countries you speak of hate the US regardless.
Electing Obama hasn't made any country love us. No matter how many dictators he's bowed too and all of the apologies he's made, some people will hate the US regardless.

While I agree to some extent, I'm concerned that Donald Trump is lose with his mouth and would be a diplomatic nightmare, insulting allies, the united nations, NATO, etc.

[Edited 2011-04-13 14:29:56]

Superfly

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Quoting BAKJet (Reply 47):
I'm concerned that Donald Trump is lose with his mouth and would be a diplomatic nightmare, insulting allies, the united nations, NATO, etc.

The [email protected]$$, brown-nosing approach of President Obama hasn't seem to work out so well.

Confuscius

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 pm

My write-in vote is for the Angela Davis/Larry Jackson ticket. Gus Hall, her former running mate, kicked the bucket a decade ago, so I'm adding Superfly.

Angela Davis

Race or Ethnicity: Black
Sexual orientation: Lesbian
Nationality: United States
Executive summary: Black Panther, teacher, professor

Radical activist, teacher, member of the Black Panthers and formerly active in the American Communist Party. Now a professor at UC Santa Cruz, and a lecturer on prison reform.

Black Panther Party
Communist Party USA
Lenin Peace Prize 1979
FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives 1970
Murder 7-Aug-1970, acquitted 4-Jun-1972
Kidnapping 7-Aug-1970, acquitted 4-Jun-1972
Conspiracy 7-Aug-1970, acquitted 4-Jun-1972