Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

BMI727

RE: The 2011 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:50 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 49):

Chicago really has no business being in this game. It's been pretty clear most of the way which team was the #1 seed and which was the #8. Crawford has been stellar, having single handedly given his team a chance to win despite all of their mistakes.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

GrahamHill

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:59 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 50):
Chicago really has no business being in this game. It's been pretty clear most of the way which team was the #1 seed and which was the #8

I totally agree! But you cannot deny Chicago's willpower to stay alive!
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

GrahamHill

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:05 am

And Canucks finally wrap it up! What a series that was!!

Congrats to the Canucks!

BMI727

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 51):
But you cannot deny Chicago's willpower to stay alive!

Their powerplay was just embarrassing. They'll need all summer to think about this one.

elbandgeek
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:37 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 50):
Chicago really has no business being in this game. It's been pretty clear most of the way which team was the #1 seed and which was the #8.

You wouldn't happen to be Henrik Sedin would you? Cause that's the same arrogant, classless line he gave after the game. If you think we had no business being there tell me why it went 7 games, or why the sisters have a collective -13, or how they came within one goal of being the biggest joke in history. I would recommend not getting cocky cause there's still 3 more rounds for the president's curse to kick in, and IF you mange to go all the way enjoy getting screwed by that salary cap worse than we were.

Having said that, while I'm dissapointed, I'm still incredibly proud of the Hawks this year. With our roster getting chopped up over the summer and all the injuries we dealt with, no one thought we'd get anywhere close to where we did. It's not gonna be the same watching the rest of the playoffs without them but I'm looking forward to next year because we have a ton of promising young guys like Ben Smith who have stepped up even with our core guys not being at the top of their game. The second Crawford gets a contract I will be celebrating.

In the meantime I still have the Pens (for now) and Sharks to cheer on. Sharks-Caps has been a matchup for the finals that has crossed my mind a lot in the last few weeks and I'm starting to see it as a bigger possibility. Personally, I'd love to see Niemi get another ring while Ovi gets within reach and have it snatched away.

dlowwa

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:06 am

Well that was a lot more stress than I needed for one night, and it was only the first round. Hawks fans, hold your heads up high - you made us work hard for those four wins. Although you won't be repeating as champs, your future still looks bright - Crawford looks to be the real deal, and Toews turns what, 23 next week? Other than a healthy Crosby, there's no one else I'd want to build a franchise around. You guys get plenty of respect from me.

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 44):
Last week was the first week with decent weather we've had on the Wet Coast yet this year. The Canuckleheads were firing on all cylinders until.... until last week.
Coincidence? I believe not.

Well, your theory was busted today - rainy this morning, but the clouds parted and bright and sunny right up until game time.

As for the next round, the Preds played us hard all year, so it's not getting any easier. I hope we don't let the relief of finally slaying the Hawks get in the way of the long road that still lies ahead. I think we can beat the Preds, but it might take six.

Luck to the Habs tomorrow!

czbbflier

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:00 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 55):
Well, your theory was busted today - rainy this morning, but the clouds parted and bright and sunny right up until game time.

Yup. It sure was. But as elbandgeek says, there are still three rounds to go for the 'curse' to kick in.

Meanwhile, were you one of the louts out on Robson Street honking horns and yelling and screaming as though the Canucks actually won the cup last night? Second time in my life I had to wear ear plugs to get to sleep! lol

fxramper

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:26 pm

TWO 5 on 3 goals for the Habs last night?! Could the refs do anything else last night to give the game to them?!   

MD11Bob

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 57):
TWO 5 on 3 goals for the Habs last night?! Could the refs do anything else last night to give the game to them?!   

Well, how about give the goal in the first minutes that the referees disallowed because they were positioned so bad that they could not follow the game? Really no reason here to complain about the refs from a Boston biased point of view  

fxramper

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Quoting MD11Bob (Reply 58):
Well, how about give the goal in the first minutes that the referees disallowed because they were positioned so bad that they could not follow the game? Really no reason here to complain about the refs from a Boston biased point of view

I was born in Texas, I have no bias for hockey teams. How about the game misconduct for a nice check to the boards. What a load of crap last night was. I hope Boston smashes them in game 7. Rubbish game last night overall.

MD11Bob

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 59):
How about the game misconduct for a nice check to the boards.

A hit that was from the back, targeting the head, resulting in an injury and which was completely unnecessary in this special situation of the game. 5 + game misconduct goes perfectly ok here.

Quoting fxramper (Reply 59):
Rubbish game last night overall.

Yes, I agree with you on that. Today just can get better.

Mir

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 55):
Crawford looks to be the real deal

Guy did not deserve to lose that game. It was Campoli's fault that Burrows was in all alone.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

fxramper

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Quoting MD11Bob (Reply 60):

I hate the Habs more than the Yankees.   

Arrow

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 61):
Guy did not deserve to lose that game. It was Campoli's fault that Burrows was in all alone.

True. But the rest of the Black Hawks -- in both games 6 & 7 -- were getting out hit and outplayed most of the time. And if you're going to lament Campoli's blunder, try to remember that in game 6 Schneider handed the Hawks two of their 4 goals on a platter. Take those away and there's no game 7.

The Hawks punched above their weight in this series and they deserve a lot of credit for that. They have a core of 4-5 extremely talented guys out front and a goalie they'd better sign quickly. Their lack of depth did them in ultimately, with a lot of help from a Canuck team that completely lost its focus for a couple of games.

Now we can all hyperventilate about the Predators -- who may be an even tougher team to beat.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

dlowwa

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 56):
Meanwhile, were you one of the louts out on Robson Street honking horns and yelling and screaming as though the Canucks actually won the cup last night?l

Nah, not that much of a homer - it was only the first round.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 63):
True. But the rest of the Black Hawks -- in both games 6 & 7 -- were getting out hit and outplayed most of the time. And if you're going to lament Campoli's blunder, try to remember that in game 6 Schneider handed the Hawks two of their 4 goals on a platter. Take those away and there's no game 7.

Now we can all hyperventilate about the Predators -- who may be an even tougher team to beat.

No hyperventilating, but it's going to be a tough series, played really tight, just as all of the games against them were this year.

jfk69

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 61):

And that is why All Islander fans are thankful they dumped him a few years back.

Would have liked to see the Canucks go out but what a series. Playoff Hockey is the best thing in the world, HANDS DOWN!

seb146

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 pm

I can not believe how many people here (and around the United States) hate the Canucks. What gives?

Meanwhile, I will have to sit through another series listening about how great the Predators are and how the Predators are going to skate to victory even when they are down 3-0 and even when they lose the series. Watching hockey on Versus SUCKS!!! I wish I could get XM or internet where I have a TV so I could listen to American sports casters being slightly less biased.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Arrow

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 66):
I can not believe how many people here (and around the United States) hate the Canucks. What gives?

Penis envy. It's de rigueur to hate the best. Makes inferior people feel better about themselves, despite their obvious flaws.

But if you want to experience real hate -- consider how the entire country hates Tranna; especially the Maple Laughs.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

steeler83

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Funny how both the Pens' and Flyers' respective series went 7 games.

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 3):
Flyers in 6

Well, the Flyers actually took it to 7 games and they advanced.

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 3):
Penguins in 6

The Pens ALLOWED it to go 7 games!

More like the Pittsburgh pansies. If they lose tonight, it will be one of the biggest collapses, to allow a team down 3-1 to come back and beat you...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

steeler83

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:20 am

Yep, the Pens just completed a total derailment of their season... Lightning advance after forcing a game 7 in which the Pens went on life support, and then someone pulled the plug...

Considering the injuries and other circumstances they faced this season, I guess it wasn't all bad. The thing for next season tho: Crosby and Malkin MUST stay healthy!

Go Flyers!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

BMI727

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:01 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 54):
If you think we had no business being there tell me why it went 7 games,

Because the Blackhawks finally decided to play a little bit in combination with a near epic collapse by the Canucks.

I would recommend not getting cocky cause there's still 3 more rounds for the president's curse to kick in,

I'm a Blackhawks fan.

IF you mange to go all the way enjoy getting screwed by that salary cap worse than we were.

Vancouver could end up in a bad way. Luongo is in the second year of a 12 year deal. That has to be some of the worst paper this side of Alfonso Soriano.

But Vancouver did a good job protecting him last night. He was still shaky, on the rare opportunities that the Hawks got chances anyway, and there were a lot of loose pucks floating around the net, but the Vancouver defense did a good job keeping the Blackhawks away from them. On the other side, the fact that only two of the Blackhawks' numerous mistakes turned into goals was only due to a phenomenal performance from Crawford.

The second Crawford gets a contract I will be celebrating.

I haven't looked in depth yet, but I'm not sure that's a given. On the plus side, maybe this summer David Haugh can finally learn how a salary cap works.

Having said that, while I'm dissapointed, I'm still incredibly proud of the Hawks this year. With our roster getting chopped up over the summer and all the injuries we dealt with, no one thought we'd get anywhere close to where we did.

I wouldn't go so far. An inconsistent regular season followed by backing into the playoffs and bowing out in the first round is about par for the course I'd say. Hard to say it's underachieving, but definitely not overachieving.

Their lack of depth did them in ultimately,

I trust the Bowmans know what they are doing and will make the young guys and draft picks the Hawks got in return from their cap purge into something. The Blackhawks are probably two to three years away at best.

seb146

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:10 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 67):
Penis envy. It's de rigueur to hate the best. Makes inferior people feel better about themselves, despite their obvious flaws.

No, it's something more. Any time Vancouver is in the playoffs, there is so much hatred toward them. Even here in the Bay Area, any time they play the Sharks, there is so much hatred of Vancouver. I don't understand why.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

dlowwa

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 67):
But if you want to experience real hate -- consider how the entire country hates Tranna; especially the Maple Laughs.

I used to hate them, but more recently I've taken to feeling sorry for them.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 70):

Vancouver could end up in a bad way.

Not really. Luongo's contract may be way too long, but at least the hit is only 5.3 mil/per. The core of the team (Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler) are signed for at least the next three years. The only dead weight is Ballard, and the only issue will be re-signing two of the three UFAs to be (Bieksa & Erhoff, fragile Sami's gone...)

Considering most of our players signed at a discount, I can think of a lot of teams in far worse position cap-wise than Vancouver. In fact, Vancouver has only 47mil committed for next season, and only needs to re-sign two of the D-men I mentioned, while Chicago has more than 48mil committed for next year, and apparently needs to sign a whole lot more, including their star goalie in the making.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 70):
Luongo is in the second year of a 12 year deal. That has to be some of the worst paper this side of Alfonso Soriano.

I'd argue that the combined contracts of Campbell and Hossa are a lot more of a burden than Luongo's... you do realize you've got 13mil+ a year over the next 6+ years with those two? I'm not happy with the length of Lu's contract, but I think a 5mil cap hit for a Vezina finalist isn't that bad a deal.

As for predictions for the second round:

Canucks in 6
Wings in 7

Caps in 6
Bruins in 7

steeler83

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 72):
Bruins in 7

I hope your prediction is wrong.

Go Flyers!

Heck, sure the Flyers may be hated by 99.9% of all Pens fans, but they're still from PA. Gotta go with the PA teams!!

srbmod

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Here's my predictions for the second round:

Eastern Conference

Flyers v. Bruins: Bruins in 5
Caps v. Bolts: Bolts in 6

Western Conference

Canucks v. Predators: Predators in 7
Red Wings v. Sharks: Red Wings in 5

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 pm

No 25th Stanley Cup for the Habs this year! (well, it's not like it was meant to happen anyway...).

My predictions for the secound round:

Eastern Conference

Flyers v. Bruins: Bruins in 7
Caps v. Bolts: Caps in 6

Western Conference

Canucks v. Predators: Canucks in 6
Red Wings v. Sharks: Red Wings in 5

czbbflier

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:42 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 74):
Canucks v. Predators: Predators in 7
Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 75):
Canucks v. Predators: Canucks in 6

It will boil down to what the weather does.

If the weather is crappy, rainy and cold, I'd back Graham 'cause the 'nucks won't be able to play golf.

If the weather turns warm and spring-like: srbmod is the guy with the crystal ball to follow!

Today it's sunny and warm in Vancouver for Game 1 of this series.

A332

Sun May 01, 2011 4:05 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 71):
No, it's something more. Any time Vancouver is in the playoffs, there is so much hatred toward them. Even here in the Bay Area, any time they play the Sharks, there is so much hatred of Vancouver. I don't understand why.

It's because their fans are a bunch of classless, arrogant, bandwagon-hopping idiots. That's all. No one likes gloating from a bunch of losers who have never won anything.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

GuitrThree

Sun May 01, 2011 5:40 am

Holy Crap.. Anyone see that 2OT Goalie Clinic the Canucks and Preds put on?

GO PREDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

czbbflier

Sun May 01, 2011 6:20 am

I turned to the game in the third period. Sloppy, loose, nonchalant. Pathetic. The Canucks deserved to lose tonight. Instead of actually playing as a team, as usual, they batted the puck around and 'killed time' for the 16 minutes of the third period before the Predators scored instead of playing to friggin' win by building at least a 1 point buffer.

Then suddenly they had to play catch up and played some of the best hockey I've seen them hack out in months. 18 seconds to go they almost re-took the lead. Why the "F" couldn't they have played like that in the previous 16 minutes?

Luongo was nothing short of spectacular tonight- with the rest of the team doing what it does best: leaving it up to him to save the game. I actually feel for him (a teensy bit) over how the Predators got onto the score board.

Yet another example of how the Canucks get complacent and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

BTW- nice weather today. My theory, since the last game is 1:1. As the weather improves, so too will the odds that the Canucks will lose.

Quoting A332 (Reply 77):
It's because their fans are a bunch of classless, arrogant, bandwagon-hopping idiots. That's all. No one likes gloating from a bunch of losers who have never won anything.