Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fxramper
Topic Author

Your Longest Road Trip.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:52 pm

I'd like to go visit my folks in Newport Beach, CA before I move to Newark, NJ for work. I'd be driving from Austin, TX and was thinking about taking my weiner dog with me. What was your longest road trip? Did you travel with a pet? I bought a new car and thought it would be a lot more fun to drive vs. cage my pet under a cramped airplane seat and fly. I smell a road trip.   

DocLightning

RE: Your Longest Road Trip.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Thrice I have driven from SF to Detroit via Santa Barbara (and hence LA). Twice I did it alone, once my mom was with me.

West of the Rockies, it's a gorgeous drive. East of the Rockies...

...er...not so much.

CXfirst

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:16 pm

My longest drive was Melbourne to Perth. My sister and brother-in-law were moving over, so I flew over there to drive across with my brother-in-law taking his car and half his household! But this trip was done as quick as we could, and was more of a get-to-the-final-destination, rather than drive for the sake of taking a scenic drive.

I have also driven from London to the North of Norway (as far north as Tromso), that trip I have done 3 times, but that was for the scenic drive (and it would prove much cheaper than flying and renting a car up there for a month). This trip did however involve a ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger.

-CXfirst

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:27 pm

In North America:

London, ON - Melbourne, FL (cca 5000 km RT)

in Europe:

Trebisov, Slovakia - Vieste (FG), Italy (cca 3700 km RT)

Quokka

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:38 pm

My longest was from and to Perth, Western Australia leaving Perth and heading north via Shark Bay, Coral Bay, Tom Price and the Hamersley Range to Roebourne. Then via Port Hedland, Broome, Derby and the Mitchell Plateau to Wyndham. After a couple of days to recuperate the journey continued into the Northern Territory to Darwin, Litchfield NP, Kakadu, Katherine and down to Alice Springs.

From Alice it went along the track through the Western MacDonnell Ranges to Hermannsberg, Watarrka and King's Canyon and down to Yulara for Uluru (Ayers Rock). Then further west via Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Docker River and over the border back into WA. Then it was along the track from Giles down to Laverton and Kalgoorlie, Coolgardie to Southern Cross. From there to Hyden and back to Perth via York.

The whole journey took 31 days and covered more than 8,000 km, camping out under the stars in remote bush camps as well as serviced sites in townsites. Some very beautiful country along the way.

mwhcvt

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 pm

These long trips make mine sound quite small, but my folks and I used to regularly drive from Warwickshire to Co. Donegal, Ireland, approx 500miles(800km)

And we did spend 24hours in Edinburgh one for the England RFU game so that would have been a round trip off approx 750miles(1200km) done in about 30 hours

Matt
MWHCVT

desertjets

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Are you driving solo or will you have a partner?

I've done a few long roadtrips in the past few years between moving my GF to ABQ and later myself.

Trip one was CHO-ABQ, w/ two drivers in 3 days. Day one was the longest. We pushed from Charlottesville to Jackson, TN. I did most of the driving that day b/c my GF took non-drowsy Dramamine that left her feeling somewhat drowsy. After that she did the first half of the day I did the second half.

I did the return solo, that took my 4 days. Though I had to stop earlier than planned on day three due to construction delays west of Knoxville. I called it off of the interstate when I say a few decent cheap motels and a Cracker Barrel.

Then we did CHO to ABQ, but this time via her home in western New York and Chicago. Buffalo to Chicago was a long day but pretty doable. But after day one my ability to do long stretched kind of went downhill. I don't remember how far we were trying to make it from Chicago, but we ended up stopping in Rolla, MO.

However we never did anything long distance with our pets (2 cats). We once did an overnight trip about 90 minutes from home and our male cat cried the whole way down (and back). And our female cat cried most of the night in the motel.

The best advice about long distance driving is plan in advance what you want to do, but be willing to call it off the highway if you are tired, hungry, gotta poop, etc. GPS was a pretty useful thing to have, but if you are doing strictly interstate all the way to CA you don't need to get one if you don't have one.

Canadi>n

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:08 pm

My partner and I drove from Kelowna, BC to Fort Myers, FL and return with two dogs a couple of years ago (approximately 12,000 km return). It was a great trip. Make sure to stay at La Quinta...they accept dogs with no extra fees. Happy motoring!

josekmlb

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Longest solo trip that I have done was in 2004 during the hurricane season when Florida was getting hit almost every other week. I had just bought a new truck and said forget this I'm not letting my new truck get damaged so I drove from KMLB- to KAUS. That was a fun trip with a stop over in KGPT, since I was from Florida I had a free upgrade to a suite.

Quokka

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 5):
These long trips make mine sound quite small,

Sometimes the shorter trips can be more demanding than longer ones. In countries that are heavily built up it is sometimes more difficult to travel long distances than in countries like Australia where there is relatively less traffic outside of major cities.

I remember once being stuck on the M1 in England for several hours because of a collision between a number of vehicles. We could not go forward and we could go back because it was a long way to the next off-ramp. Getting from one side of London to the other is quite an achievement these days.  

fridgmus

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Two weeks on a Harley riding through Victoria, The Grampions, The Great Ocean Road and some wonderful backroads, then the ferry to Tasmania for a week. We never took the same road twice. About 4,000 km. My Hog never missed a beat and we rode through some rough weather as well.

Made me fall in love with Australia.

Quoting Quokka (Reply 4):

I'm sooooo jealous Quokka!!! Take me with you next time!

My Harley and I on the Great Ocean Road, Australia, May 2008. Heaven on Earth!

Quokka

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 10):
I'm sooooo jealous Quokka!!! Take me with you next time!

LOL. You're on! Mind you, my vehicle is a bit more boring - it's a Subaru Forester. I may not have the wind in my hair, but it gets me through most terrain.

I am glad that you enjoyed your previous trip to Australia. That's an impressive machine and an ideal way to see the Great Ocean Road.

luckyone

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Denver to Phoenix -- via Rapid City, Idaho Falls, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Flagstaff, Monument Valley, back to Flagstaff

RJLover

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:48 pm

I did Victoria, BC to Halifax, NS on my own a few months ago (Jan 2011). It was a great drive! Took 6 days, 5 nights and that was driving from 0800-2000. Since it was winter, it took me a little longer then I think it would have had all the roads been clear.

mwhcvt

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 9):
Sometimes the shorter trips can be more demanding than longer ones. In countries that are heavily built up it is sometimes more difficult to travel long distances than in countries like Australia where there is relatively less traffic outside of major cities.

I remember once being stuck on the M1 in England for several hours because of a collision between a number of vehicles. We could not go forward and we could go back because it was a long way to the next off-ramp. Getting from one side of London to the other is quite an achievement these days.

Your not wrong there, I have semi-regular trips from home, Coventry/Rugby down to Westminster for check up's at St. Thomas's Hospital and it can often take me as long from getting off the M1 to reaching the hospital as the entire rest of the trip has taken.

But god help me I do love driving I central London         

Matt
MWHCVT

lxa333

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Dubrovnik, Croatia to Corfu, Greece. Through Montenegro and Albania then on board the boat across the ionian from Sarande to Corfu. Completed in 13 hours.

SmithAir747

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:23 pm

My longest road trip was in July 2007, when I moved from Fort Wayne, AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN, to San Francisco, CA, to begin my PhD studies in craniofacial embryology at UCSF. My younger sister helped me move; we took our two vehicles (her pickup truck and my sedan). My sister's truck had all my furniture, some of my boxes, and my vacuum cleaner in it, all covered with a plastic camping tarpaulin, like the Joads' truck in the John Steinbeck novel The Grapes of Wrath. My Pontiac Bonneville was filled to the ceiling with the rest of my boxes, my guitar, violin, and antique trombone. We set off Westward in the dying Indiana evening, in our two-car caravan.

It was a long drive (an understatement)! My sister and I left Fort Wayne, AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN, at around 7 or 8pm on Tuesday, July 17. We took US 30 from Fort Wayne to Chicago, where we got onto I-65, then I-94 and I-80. From Chicago on we stayed on I-80 the whole way.

The first night we stayed in an Econo Lodge in Princeton, IL (we checked in at around 4:00am) after driving most of the night. There was a heavy thunderstorm that night.

The next day (July 18) we drove through Iowa and most of Nebraska, mostly flat land. We slept in a rest area off I-80 just over 100 miles from the Nebraska-Wyoming border, not having been able to find a decent motel.

On July 19, we drove through beautiful Wyoming, Utah, and part of Nevada--all very beautiful. In Utah, just west of Salt Lake City, we drove through the barren, desolate, almost extraterrestrial Bonneville Salt Flats. It was like being on another planet, so lonely and desolate, as I told my mom on the phone. She asked me if I had seen any aliens! At the rest area in the salt flats, I collected a shot glass full of salt as a souvenir. In Nevada, we drove through the mountains and the Great Basin. I was sure I saw a UFO in the clouds above the mountains, as the sun was setting! We stayed in an Econo Lodge in Elko, NV that night.

On July 20, we drove through the western half of Nevada and into California. Upon entering California that late afternoon, I-80 was winding, climbing, and falling through the mountains, especially through the Tahoe National Forest. From Sacramento on to San Francisco, I-80 was four or five lanes and full of bumper-to-bumper traffic. We arrived in San Francisco that evening, crossing over the Oakland Bay Bridge. That night we moved my stuff into my apartment at the UCSF Mission Bay campus in China Basin, near the SF Giants' AT&T Park.

SmithAir747

fridgmus

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 11):
LOL. You're on! Mind you, my vehicle is a bit more boring - it's a Subaru Forester. I may not have the wind in my hair, but it gets me through most terrain.

I am glad that you enjoyed your previous trip to Australia. That's an impressive machine and an ideal way to see the Great Ocean Road.

Subaru's are great vehicles Quokka! My love for Australia borders on the fanatical! Can't explain it, but I think you can relate. My next trip to Oz will be my third, just not sure when, might have to wait until after the Australian Winter. How's the weather in WA in winter anyway?

I love motorcycles and love my Harley. My Harley back in the US is almost identical to the one I hired in MEL. But my next one will be a BMW K1200 GSA. 8.7 gallon petrol tank! Great for those long Outback tracks! I have a good mate in Bunbury who waiting for me! I'll let you know when I plan on coming. Have to plan around our work schedule here.

Take care,

F

Springbok747

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 17):

Fridgmus...the next time you're down here we should go for a drive on the Great Ocean Road..I live about 20 min away (Geelong)..plus you can have that 'wind in your hair' feeling with the top down in my Wrangler   

My longest road trip in Oz:

Adelaide-Darwin (approx 3030 km)
Adelaide-Perth (2700 km) and back
Adelaide-Sydney (1410 km)

In South Africa:

Johannesburg-Durban-Cape Town and back (total distance one way (2300 km)

In North America:

Atlanta-Bismarck, ND (1550 miles)
Atlanta- Albuquerque (1390 miles)
Los Angeles-Missoula, MT (1212 miles)
Atlanta-Miami (663 miles)

T8KE0FF

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 pm

I drove from Melbourne to Adelaide (and back) with a large dog! For the whole 730km he just slept. We made some nice stops along the way to let the dog out in some interesting places...

I would probably do it again, its a really nice way to see another country.

And I have also endured a 780km journey from Birmingham to Inverness. Its pretty boring until you get up to the highlands..

(and when I say I drove, I mean I was a passenger. Lol).

2707200X

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:13 pm

It was a series of road trips about ranging from about 15 to 25 years ago from Anaheim and Rancho Cucamonga, California to Monterrey, Mexico to see my family, the process took three days in each direction.

From Anaheim or Cucamonga depending on where we lived we drove from there to Las Cruces, New Mexico the first day, the second day we drove from Las Cruces to Laredo, Texas or San Antonio where my aunt used to live. From there we drove all the way to Monterrey to stay at my grandmas house for about two weeks then repeat the process going home. The car we used was a '77 Chrysler LeBaron mid-size M-body and later a Nissan Vannet on later trips.

canoecarrier

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Quoting Canadi>n (Reply 7):
Make sure to stay at La Quinta...they accept dogs with no extra fees. Happy motoring!

Shiloh Inns do as well. But, I'm not sure they are all over the US.

My longest continuous driving road trip was Columbia, Missouri to Flagstaff, Arizona. I think that was around 26 hours of driving with out rest. My girlfriend drove 4 of those hours. My longest multi-day was probably Farmington, Missouri to Bissett, Manitoba or Phoenix to Seattle via LA.

Quoting RJLover (Reply 13):
I did Victoria, BC to Halifax, NS on my own a few months ago (Jan 2011). It was a great drive! Took 6 days, 5 nights

I've always wanted to do that drive. A good friend of mine is an ex Canadian Navy guy and swears Halifax is a blast. At least you got to start your drive with a ferry ride.

I did do one long road trip in Canada but I hitchhiked and bused from Calgary to Whitehorse then down to Skagway, Alaska via Jasper/Prince George and the Alcan.

rutley21

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:50 pm

My longest drive will be from Wichita, KS back to my home in Tampa Bay, FL. 1500 miles. Ill be driving that in about a week after my flight there. Im picking up a car and driving back. Lol

Rob

L410Turbolet

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:02 am

I avoid driving long distances as much as I can, but as a passenger I have done
Brno, Czech - Tehran, Iran (Bari-Istanbul on a ferry) in a car
Hull - Portree, Skye and back in a car
Buenos Aires, Argentina - Puerto Montt, Chile - Santiago de Chile - Buenos Aires on a bus

RJLover

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:05 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 21):
I've always wanted to do that drive. A good friend of mine is an ex Canadian Navy guy and swears Halifax is a blast. At least you got to start your drive with a ferry ride.

It was really fun to do! I went through the US, as it was faster and cheaper to go south. I haven't seen Halifax at its nicest yet, but Spring is just coming around so it should start getting a lot nicer!

blrsea

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:14 am

seattle to yellowstone and back was my longest trip so far, with me being the only driver

melpax

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:31 am

Done a couple of trips from Melbourne-Brisbane and back, returning through Sydney, around 4000kms all up.

I drove up to Brisbane a couple of weeks back through Sydney, 2000kms in around 3 days, taking it easy. Flew back home to MEL this time, as was taking a car up for family.

travelavnut

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:24 am

My longest road trip was a 30 day 11000 km / 7000 mi drive from Johannesburg to Johannesburg, passing through South-Africa, Swaziland, Mozambique, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Angola and Lesotho  

ozglobal

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Paris - Cologne - Heidlburg - Munich - Prague - 5 days touring Cz - Brno - Vienna - Graz - Salzburg - Nurimburg - Paris

Paris - Cologne - Goslar - Berlin - Luxemburg - Paris - Brest - St Malo - Paris

Paris - Dijon - Chamonix - Milan - Bellargio - Venice - Innsbruck - Lucern - Paris

Did I mention Brisbane - Canberra non-stop...?

photopilot

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Wow, the longest solo road-trip I've ever done was a 21 day marathon that covered almost 14,000 km. Here's the route. I travelled from Toronto across Canada on a winding route ending up in Vancouver 14 days later. Then back across via the USA and back into Canada through Detroit.

Reason for the trip was business across Canada, but pure exploring on the return American leg. I was driving a Toyota 4Runner and had a nice bunk set up in the back and was on no real set schedule other than when I had to arrive back in Toronto at the end of 3 weeks.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Misc_Photos/LongestRoadTrip.jpg

hercppmx

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Longest was Seattle to Jacksonville, NC (3038 miles) took about 4 days, it was in the middle of the summer so the weather was nice.

Seattle to Fort Worth, TX (2094 miles) I have done 2 roundtrips. This drive has always been in the winter, takes between 2 to 3 days. Crossing the Rockies in Dec/Jan can be a pain if you don't get through between storms. I got stuck on a mountain pass in western Wyoming because of an accident ahead. Sat there for 4 hours while 8" of snow fell. I love my Subaru though in all the times I have done the drive it hasn't failed to get me through the weather.

On Wed I am leaving for Seattle to San Antonio (2200 miles) for a new job, Now with the higher gas prices I am not looking forward to the bill for this one to much.

ltbewr

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:15 pm

July 1982. 3,600 miles. 2 weeks. Started and ended in Denver. Flew CO, DC-10's both ways from EWR, bought ticket at office in lobby of WTC). Used a rental car, a 1982 Ford Mustang with stick (probably among the last rentals with stick in the USA, offered due to the mountains).

My trip included: Rocky Mtn. National Park (NP), Grand Teton/Yellowstone NP including going through all 5 major access roads, including the Northeastern via Red Lodge, MT)., Glacier NP. Mt. Rushmore, Badlands N.P., Longest day of driving was over 600 miles from East of Glacier NP to Red Lodge, MT.

signol

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 pm

For me, from Norwich (UK) to Angers (France), to Paris, Luxemburg, Hannover, and back to Norwich. Mostly done alone, in 2000, but I gave a lift to a friend Angers - Paris. I also got my one and only ever parking ticket in Paris, not seeing a sign that said parking on the street was night-time only.

signol

Severnaya

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Drove with a motor home from Maastricht (Netherlands) towards Hamburg (Germany), then into Denmark.
Took from Fredrikshavn the ferry to Göteborg. From Göteborg drove to Stockholm and then completely up to the northern Swedish city of Tornio, there crossed the border with Finland and drove via Rovaniemi to Apatity and Murmansk (Russia) completely to the north of Russia at the Barentz sea.
Then into Norway and completely to the Northern most point of continental Europe (North Cape).
From there we drove back completety to the South of Norway via Trondheim, Bergen, Stavanger, Kristiansand to Oslo. Then back to Malmö and Copenhagen and via Germany back to the Netherlands.
It was about 8500 kms in 4 weeks, marvelous trip and highly recommendable!

CXB77L

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 pm

My longest road trip is relatively short ... about 600km, from Perth to Kalbarri, albeith with an overnight stop in Geraldton, and I shared the driving with two other people.

The longest I've driven solo is 426km from Perth to Geraldton. About 5 hours non-stop, with one bathroom break.

AI121

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 29):
the longest solo road-trip I've ever done was a 21 day marathon that covered almost 14,000 km. Here's the route. I travelled from Toronto across Canada on a winding route ending up in Vancouver 14 days later. Then back across via the USA and back into Canada through Detroit.

Wow, I am impressed. I live in Toronto too and planning to do the same one day. If you don't mind can you please let me know how much did the overall trip cost?
The longest road trip I've ever done was Toronto - Minneapolis (About 1500 KM)
https://www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/misc/uf/137513/phpv6c5dH.jpeg

KaiGywer

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Although not the longest I've done, it sure was the most tiring drive.

Grand Rapids, MI to Bismarck, ND. Not too bad until we hit the open plains between St Cloud, MN and Fargo, ND where we were fighting the neverending crosswinds. Ended up seeking shelter in a Fargo motel and continuing the next morning. Still windy, but at least we were rested

tower

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Just a couple weeks ago I did CVG-OKC with a 1 hour stop over in STL to drop my dog off at my parents house. 903 miles, about 13hrs of driving. All in one day, all by myself. And I get to do the turn around drive back at the end of May.   

A few years ago I did a STL-CVG trip and back to drop someone off because they missed their flight and had to be at work the next day. Got stuck in traffic just outside of SDF and we moved 5 miles in 5 hours. So it turned into a 16 1/2 hour trip when it should have been around 11!

KingFriday013

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:18 pm

In the summer of 2009, I went on a road trip with 2 of my friends (although one of them had to go back to NY halfway through for a family emergency) all over the US. We traveled through all 48 contiguous states on that trip in 34 days, and drove around 14,500 miles.

Here was our route

NYC
Charlotte, NY
Atlanta, GA
via Pensacola, FL
New Orleans, LA
Dallas, TX
Wichita, KS
Denver/Boulder, CO
Albuquerque, NM
via Roswell, NM
El Paso, TX
Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
via Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
via Mono Lake, CA
San Francisco, CA
Coos Bay, OR
via Olympic National Park, WA
Seattle, WA
Bozeman, MT
via Yellowstone National Park
Salt Lake City, Utah
Rapid City, SD
via Fargo, ND
Minneapolis, MN
Chicago, IL
St. Louis, MO
Scranton, PA
Brattleboro, VT
via Lubec, ME
Bangor, ME
via Interstate 95 South
NYC

Of course I didn't list all the places we stopped at on the way, but this gives you the general idea of our route, and all the places we stayed.

-J.

Jean Leloup

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:04 pm

I went from Montreal, QC to Whitehorse, YT for work - on the greyhound. 5602 km in 97 hours. With a girlfriend who had migraines and her period for the whole trip. It was not pleasant.

And when we got to Whitehorse at 4:30 a.m., we taxi'd to the Whitehorse airport, flew to Dawson City, YT (first gravel runway!), and then were driven another 400 km north to work.

It's the kind of trip that I'm glad I did so that I can say I did it, but I sure as well wouldn't do it again.

The route on the Greyhond for anyone who is curious: http://www.google.ca/maps?f=d&source...sspn=2.184134,6.674194&ie=UTF8&z=8

JL

nqyguy

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:33 pm

SFO to Tofino, Vancouver Island. Best holiday ever.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:02 pm

My longest trip was from LA to NY City (actually 90 miles north) via San Diego, Phoenix, El Paso, Houston, Baton Rouge, Meridian Mississippi, Birmingham, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia. Approximately 3500 miles. I flew home.

In the last 20 years I have made twenty six (26) trips between Los Angles and Atlanta, 2217 miles. The trip takes 32 hours of driving (70 mph average).

We had friends visiting from the UK and we took them from Atlanta to Nashville, 240 miles, the wife got car sick about 60 miles from Nashville, said she had never riden in a car for so long in her life (three (3) hours)?

When I was in the USAF I would drive home on a Friday night 420 miles and drive back 420 miles on Sunday night, at least once a month.

UltimateDelta

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 pm

The most recent one for me was in July 2009. My dad, stepmom, stepsisters and I drove from Omaha to Rapid City, SD, stopping in several places throughout South Dakota on the way there (including the infamous Wall Drug). We spent several days in Rapid City, doing the requisite things like seeing Mt. Rushmore, and then on the way back we came down through western Nebraska. In 2004 my dad and i drove from Omaha to Winnipeg, but that wasn't so much a road trip as we didn't really stop to see anything on the way.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:55 pm

My longest road trip was 5712km in my MINI. I drove from Molde to Milan via Oslo, Stockholm ferry to Riga, Warsaw, Nuremberg, Milan. My way home was Milan, Hamburg, Copenhagen ferry to Oslo, Molde. I enjoyed the drive a lot, my MINI never missed a beat, I had a blast on the autobahn, hit 200kph on one stretch according to TomTom, best of all even with the hammering she got in Germany and the Swiss passes overall I managed 5.1l/100km.

When my kids are a little older I'd like to do a US coast to coast, fly in to the West Coast and spend a month getting to New York.

Wolverine

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:13 pm

In november, last year, I moved from a small village near Basel, Switzerland, to Neumunster, a town, 60km north of Hamburg, Germany. 902km over all.

First I brought all my stuff with a rented truck, took me around 12 hours. A day later, after unloading the truck, I went back, this time during night. This time only 10 hours.

5 days later I finally moved. This time with my own car, and my 2 cats. Again during night, because I thought it might be better for the cats, when it's dark. But one of them showed no reactions to the sleeping pills the Vet had given me. So he was meowing the whole time. I felt real bad, you know, like I was punishing him. So I only stopped from time to time, to take a piss, and drink another Red Bull. But, again, it took 12 hours...

photopilot

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Quoting AI121 (Reply 35):
I live in Toronto too and planning to do the same one day. If you don't mind can you please let me know how much did the overall trip cost?

Well, I did that trip back in the '80s when gas was a whole lot cheaper. Figure about 25-35 tanks of gas at least, which at today's prices would set you back $1500 or more. Likely $2000 just for gas with today's prices. Add in some motels and food and you're looking at $3000 or $4000 at least. Sure not cheap to travel by car today. Especially solo where you pay all the costs.

But despite the cost, just for the love of a long-distance trip and seeing what the whole country looks like makes this an adventure that I'd highly recommend. Can't wait until some day when I retire and can enjoy something like that over several months instead of mere weeks. Would be wonderful on a motorcycle I think.

bananaboy

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:29 am

My longest ever trip was Melbourne to Alice Springs, Uluru & back. Did this twice back in 2004. Great fun, and the only way to travel to the red centre in my opinion. Flying is great, but you don't really appreciate the size of the country and the isolation of Uluru without having driven. 2,722km or 1,691 miles each way.

Close second to this was driving from Sydney to Airlie Beach - approx 2,000km or 1,240 miles.

Would love to do it again. Looking at driving from Sydney to Uluru. Will need some serious time for this one.2,850km each way. Might fly one-way with this one!

Mark

tootallsd

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:05 am

My longest trip took place starting approximately 10 years ago this month. I was taking a year off from work and I planned a motorcycle trip to all four corners of the USA. Total trip duration was 83 days and about 16,500 miles. I left my home in San Diego and rode, over the course of a couple weeks to Key West. From Key West I headed north as far as Portsmouth ME. I had planned on either going to Halifax or Quebec -- but poor weather forecasts made me deviate. VIrtually for the next three/four weeks I rode every day (some times all days) in the rain. From Portsmouth, the next stop was Chicago for Memorial Day. Then down to St Louis to dine with former work colleagues continuing to Oklahoma City. I then turned north again to my father's birthplace of Underwood, ND. Turning west again, I ended up on the coast of Washington State -- circling the Olympic Peninsula. Then south along the coast to San Francisco, a zig to Reno a zag to Fresno via Tioga Pass and Yosemite before getting home.

Still an incredible memory.

dragon-wings

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 am

Ever since my cousin moved to Charlotte NC five years ago we drive from Long Island NY to Charlotte once every year.

Pyrex

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:23 am

My longest has been Boston to Houston, on a 22-foot moving truck (why Penske let me drive that thing without a commercial heavy truck license I have no idea) helping a friend move. Basically we went down the spine of the Appalachian Ridge, from Massachusetts to Connecticut, Upstate New York and Pennsylvania (drove through Hershey, got lost outside Harrisburg and overnighted in Gettysburg, checked out the really cool battlefield the next day. From there, we drove into Maryland (where we took some gorgeous mountain back roads), West Virginia (nice scenery but gets boring after a while), crossed the Ohio river in Huntington just so we could say we had been to Ohio and drove into gorgeous Kentucky, where we overnighted in Bardstown, bourbon whisky capital of the world. The next day we checked out the place where my buddy's family came from during the civil war (which happened to be 15 minutes away) and visited Mammoth Cave, the largest cave system in the world. We then drove into Tennessee, arrived in Memphis, crossed the Mighty Miss into Arkansas just so we could say we had been and the arrived at Graceland too late to go in, so we drove right down the Mississippi Delta region (a sketchy sh*thole if there ever was one) to overnight in Vicksburg. The next day we saw the local attractions (the Civil War battlefield, the riverboat casino, the pawn shop / gun store) and drove on to Natchez, the most humid place on the planet (or so it felt like it - it was June), We then drove to upstate Louisiana (perhaps the only place in the world able to rival the Mississippi Delta in sketchyness) and onto Baton Rouge, where we took I-10 across the Atchafalaya swamp to Lake Charles, past Beaumont and onto Houston, Despite the fact thay it was 2009, we did it all with no GPS, just a road atlas of the U.S., which was actually much better (we would always know where we were and were able to look at the map and decide on the spot which roads to take / where we wanted to stop instead of having a machine do that for us - would have missed a lot of really cool stuff if we had relied only on GPS.

Had a blast during the trip, though, and it was a real eye-opener to me, really changed the way I view the U.S. I highly recommend most Americans to do something like this, as I have noticed that many Americans who live on the coast like to complain that their inland brethren are ignorant about the world but they are just as ignorant themselves about their own country, which is even worse.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 23):
Brno, Czech - Tehran, Iran (Bari-Istanbul on a ferry) in a car
Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 23):
Buenos Aires, Argentina - Puerto Montt, Chile - Santiago de Chile - Buenos Aires on a bus

Wow, now that is adventurous!