Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stasisLAX
Topic Author

New Car Buying Decision - Fit, Soul, Cube, Fiesta?

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 am

Well, my Chevy Malibu is paid for. It's been a good vehicle and I've been pleased with it, but it's black in color (not a good color in the desert as it shows every scratch and it absorbs heat) and now has 67,000 miles. I'm in the market for a new (more fuel efficient) urban vehicle, and am focusing on compact hatchbacks. My shopping list includes: Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Fiesta 5-door, and possibly the Kia Rio5 or the Mazda 2. Does anyone own any of these vehicles or have a suggestion for me on another vehicle. I'd REALLY like a new Prius or a Volt, but they are FAR outside my price range (up to $20K USD). What's your thoughts, my fellow motorheads.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

BMI727

RE: New Car Buying Decision - Fit, Soul, Cube, Fiesta?

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Thread starter):
. I'd REALLY like a new Prius or a Volt, but they are FAR outside my price range (up to $20K USD).

A baseline Honda CRZ starts at just under $20k. And, weighing in at about 2700 lbs, the CRZ isn't a bad choice if you want a hybrid. The Insight is priced similarly and doesn't weigh much more.

Either is still going to cost more than a roughly equivalent conventional car, and those extra dollars can probably buy a lot of gas, but I think that the CRZ isn't really an awful choice at all since it seems to keep the major disadvantages of hybrids in check.

Kia Soul, Nissan Cube,

If you want an iPod, buy an iPod. There isn't much need for cars that look like iPods.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

cpd

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:52 am

Mazda 2 would be a nice choice.

Nissan Cube and Kia Soul are not really cars, they are packaging-crates on wheels.   Part of this bizarre anti-style fad that appears to have started in Japan a while back.

Mir

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:12 am

The Fit is an excellent choice - comfortable and very practical. The one thing I don't like about it is that the interior design is too brash for my taste, but that's just me.

The Fiesta is also good, but I found it a bit too small for my liking (I'm 6 feet, and had a tight fit in the back seat with the front seat at my driving position, which is further up than average for someone my height). You might take a look at the Focus hatchback, which is a bit bigger.

Others to consider that aren't on your list:

- VW Golf. You never buy a compact hatchback without at least test-driving a Golf. Never. Ever. Often imitated, rarely duplicated (IMO, it's the best of the bunch in terms of all-around quality and usefulness, though you do pay a bit more than you otherwise would).

- Hyundai Accent. I wouldn't go for the current model, but there's a new one coming out (2012 model) that looks pretty nice. There's also the Elantra touring, which is very roomy but is built on an older platform that isn't getting updated the way the Elantra sedan is (so it's stuck with a less efficient engine, but it still should do fairly well on mileage).

- Kia Forte. Not much to say about this one, except that it's fairly roomy for its size, which was enough for me to put it on my "to consider" list (though it's not high on said list).

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
The Insight is priced similarly and doesn't weigh much more.

The Insight's a nice car, and is worth a look. I found the rear headroom to be lacking, but YMMV.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

cpd

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:22 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
- VW Golf. You never buy a compact hatchback without at least test-driving a Golf. Never. Ever. Often imitated, rarely duplicated (IMO, it's the best of the bunch in terms of all-around quality and usefulness, though you do pay a bit more than you otherwise would).

Golf is beautifully put together.   It is quite conservative - but that's part of its appeal too - it would seem more mature than others. But it is expensive - and the USA seems to only get "Clean Diesel" or 2.5L inline-5 versions. Where is the Golf 90TSI?

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:46 am

the fiesta will be the best drivers car of the options.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

fraspotter

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:51 am

My vote would be with the Honda Fit.

Excellent car that drives like a dream. Also you can get them for a steal. My dad bought one this past Summer and absolutely LOVES it. Excellent gas mileage and really fun to drive as well. You can get a WELL stocked Fit for less than $18K let alone $20K. Also Honda cars have one of highest resale values after 5 years. They are also extremely inexpensive to run and maintain...

Fit all the way!!! 
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 am

How about a MINI Countryman, it out Golfs the Golf.

signol

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:10 am

We have a Honda Jazz (Fit). Very pleased with it.
Only thing to be aware of is spares are quite expensive, eg the battery is 2x the price of a regular battery as it is smaller, as the engine bay is smaller.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

racko

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:19 am

What about a Polo? Essentially a smaller Golf.

Edit: Never mind. Just checked, no Polo in the US.

[Edited 2011-04-29 01:21:17]

JJJ

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):

The Golf is a class above the Fiesta/Mazda 2 in size and it's only available with a prehistoric 2.5L engine (TDI is out of the OP price range).

lowrider

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:07 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 3):
Nissan Cube and Kia Soul are not really cars, they are packaging-crates on wheels

After the demise of Shorts Bros, their engineers found work in the automotive sector.

I have only ever been in the Fit and the Fiesta. I preferred the Fiesta, but mostly on subjective terms. On paper they are similar, but I liked the ride, comfort, and layout of the Fiesta better.
Proud OOTSK member

Danfearn77

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:21 am

Nissan Cube? Seriously!! Can I have a bit of what your smoking haha! I actually think it's so weird and different it's almost acceptable  
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

Ryanair!!!

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 3):
Nissan Cube and Kia Soul are not really cars, they are packaging-crates on wheels. Part of this bizarre anti-style fad that appears to have started in Japan a while back.

To each his own, I guess. I have been driving a Soul for a good 2 months now and am loving every minute of it. It sure attracts a lot of curious stares at traffic lights and I've even got a thumbs up from a driver next to me one day (whether he meant to say my car was nice or I was brave to drive it, I am not sure).

Nevertheless, it is space galore for my passengers and I. It cruises nicely and very stable on the roads due to its stiffened suspension which is unusual for a car this size (SUV-esque). However, the drawback is its ride because of the stiffened chasis, you tend to feel the bumps of a rough road... every single one of them. However cruise down a smooth highway, it is heaven.

The Soul comes very well equipped (as most Korean cars are these days) and if you are a music person, it comes with full intergration with your i-Pod which steering audio controls. I didn't opt for the bluetooth mobile phone connectivity and am regretting big time. I should've... The sound system (factory fitted) is awesome and intuitive to use. Drive it after the sunset and the center dash glows in an evil red which to me is out of this world. To me, Kia hit the spot with this urban crossover.

Fuel consumption wise, there are better contenders out there like Honda Fit (excellent mileage on that one) and Ford Fiesta because for one, they are mini hatches and way lighter than the Soul. But space is sacrificed for those type of cars. I mean, come on, no matter how much space these mini hatches boast - they are still a mini hatch. You can only haul that much realistically.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

jwenting

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Another vote for the Insight. Very nice car, and economical as well (check your local and state laws, there might be a tax incentive for hybrids, like a lower road tax).

Other than that, I'd go with the Ford. Only one on your list that looks like a car  
I wish I were flying

PHLBOS

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Well, my Chevy Malibu is paid for. It's been a good vehicle and I've been pleased with it

IMHO, I would say just keep your current vehicle; especially since it's paid off. If it's got the 4 cylinder; it's probably pretty decent on gas especially on the highway.

but it's black in color (not a good color in the desert as it shows every scratch and it absorbs heat)

And whose fault was that for purchasing a vehicle in that color? Assuming that you bought it new, it's not like that particular Malibu was the only one in the lot. Repainting the car to a lighter color's much cheaper than buying a new car.

now has 67,000 miles

Still a baby mileagewise IMHO.

more fuel efficient

Time to do a little side-by-side comparison in terms of EPA city/highway ratings (from http://www.fueleconomy.gov ).

Your current vehicle (2008 ?) Malibu w/the 2.4L 4-cylinder (assumption on my part)
22/30 Automatic 4-speed, 22/32 Automatic 6-speed

Kia Soul
1.6L 26/31
2.0L 24/30

Nissan Cube
1.8L Automatic 27/31
1.8L Manual 25/30

Honda Fit
28/35 Automatic
27/33 Manual & Automatic (S5)

Kia Rio (by 5, do you mean 5-speed - which applies to the manual?)
28/34 Manual
27/36 Automatic

Ford Fiesta
29/38 Automatic
28/37 Manual

Fiesa SFE (must stand for Super Fuel Efficient)
29/40

Mazda 2
29/35 Manual
27/33 Automatic

That said, the only vehicles on your list that post much better city/highway fuel economy than your Malibu (Rio, Fiesta & Fiesta SFE) do so at the expense of interior room. The Soul and the Cube post LOWER highway ratings than your Malibu; so I wouldn't recommend getting either one if you're doing mostly city/urban driving. The Cube's flat-out the ugliest vehicle I've ever seen IMHO.

Nonetheless, since you plan to buy new (as opposed to used); the amount of money you may be saving on gas gets eaten up by your having to make car payments again. That factor ALONE is an often overlooked item when comparing overall vehicle costs.

Again, while it is your personal choice; IMHO, as long as it's not turning into a money pit from a maintenance and repair standpoint, you should keep your current car.

[Edited 2011-04-29 07:45:24]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

ANITIX87

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 6):

Disagree. I hate electronic steering, so if you're a keen driver, and like to have the car respond to you, the Fiesta is not the way to go.

Among the options already listed in this thread, go with the Honda CRZ (I just wish it had a little more power) or the Golf. Also worth taking a look at might be the Mazda3 (the base model is GREAT, and the 2.5 is even better).

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Confuscius

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Smart Car
Ain't I a stinker?

racko

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 11):
The Golf is a class above the Fiesta/Mazda 2 in size and it's only available with a prehistoric 2.5L engine (TDI is out of the OP price range).

God VW's American lineup is awful. Why the hell would they withhold the great TSI engines?

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 18):
Smart Car

I don't know what it is but I know what it isn't, that is not a Smart.

srbmod

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 8):
How about a MINI Countryman, it out Golfs the Golf.

Are they still having transmission problems with the Mini? I can't remember what year Mini a friend of mine has (I believe it's one of the first generation [2002-06]), he's already had to replace the transmission twice on it.

I have to say that the Fiat 500 has piqued my interest a bit. If I were looking at a new car in the near future, I'd probably get one. The fuel economy isn't too bad either:

1.4L I-4
30/38 (5-speed manual)
27/34 (6-speed automatic)

PHLBOS

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Correction to my earlier post (too late to edit):

Original:

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 16):
The Soul and the Cube post LOWER highway ratings than your Malibu; so I wouldn't recommend getting either one if you're doing mostly city/urban driving.

Corrected Post (corrections in Bold):

The Soul and the Cube post LOWER highway ratings than your Malibu; so I wouldn't recommend getting either one unless you're doing mostly city/urban driving.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 19):
God VW's American lineup is awful. Why the hell would they withhold the great TSI engines?

1. Price
2. Possible poor public acceptance. People around here perceive small engines as inferior despite the horsepower available
3. The necessary premium fuel may be a problem too. For example, it eliminated the Passat from my selection 2 years ago.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 16):
IMHO, I would say just keep your current vehicle; especially since it's paid off. If it's got the 4 cylinder; it's probably pretty decent on gas especially on the highway.

It would be interesting to know ho satisfied is StasisLAX with the Malibu's fuel economy. My G6 with a similar drivetrain didn't even come close to the published numbers.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

PHLBOS

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 23):
My G6 with a similar drivetrain didn't even come close to the published numbers.

I asked you this in the 2013 Malibu thread but did not see an answer so I will ask you again here:

What year was your G6? Keep in mind that the posted ratings for ALL vehicles from 2008 and newer are based on the REVISED EPA ratings system which usually posts lower numbers than the previous ratings system.

Additionally, how many of the above-listed vehicles that the OP listed actually get close to the posted numbers?

If the OP's transmission is the 4-speed auto. (which was what your G6 had); then I can see your point. Not sure when it happened, but all Malibus today are equipped w/6-speeds.

[Edited 2011-04-29 12:26:03]

Mir

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 21):
I have to say that the Fiat 500 has piqued my interest a bit. If I were looking at a new car in the near future, I'd probably get one. The fuel economy isn't too bad either:

It's a nice car if you only ever need to put two people in it. The back seat is for cosmetic purposes only.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:35 pm

1. 2006, 2.4 litre IL4, 167 hp
2. 4 speed. The six speed was only available for the GTP in 2006

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 24):
Then again, how many of the above-listed vehicles that the OP listed actually get close to the
posted numbers/

Who knows? Then again, I'm surprised by the Soul's and Cube's highway rating. 30 mpg? Are they serious? With the G6 I was getting approximately 28 mpg highway in real life (34 mpg listed). The Altima is better (about 35 mpg highway), however it's still worse than the listed value (39 mpg)
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

MasterBean

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Cube or Soul if you want a cool car, Fiesta if you want something that looks a bit more stylish, or a Fit if you're an old granny and you go to garden centres lots and buy large potted plants.

BMI727

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 27):
Cube or Soul if you want a cool car,

There's nothing cool about either.

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 27):
Fiesta if you want something that looks a bit more stylish

Fiesta if you want something that looks a bit more like a car. If your car and your toaster look about the same, it means one of two things: either you own an ugly toaster, or you own an ugly car. And there is nothing wrong with the toasters of Cube and Soul owners.

Marcus

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:58 pm

I have to say that the Fiat 500 has piqued my interest a bit.

I will be picking mine up from the dealer tomorrow.....if you have any specific questions let me know.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

MasterBean

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 28):
There's nothing cool about either.

Yanks can't talk about cool cars because these are vehicles that are small and different and a Chevy Impala is neither of these things.

BMI727

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 30):
Chevy Impala is neither of these things.

Impala's suck too. They are basically crappy Avalon knockoffs.

Quoting MasterBean (Reply 30):
different

...but not in the good way.

Hillis

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:24 pm

I'll be looking for a car in probably 2 years, and I plan to look at the Hyundai Elantra; the Kia Forte, the Honda Fit, the Chevy Spark, and, depending on what the price is set at, the new MINI Rocketman. I have trouble believing that the Rocketman will get 94mpg, as I've read in some places, but if it gets 3/4 or 1/2 that, it's worth looking at.

I have a '87 Ford Ranger, and it eats gas, and with gas the way it is, I don't care if it isn't a perfect car, but if it gets good mpg, and saves me $$ down the road in gas, I'll take it.

PHLBOS

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 26):
2006, 2.4 litre IL4, 167 hp
4 speed. The six speed was only available for the GTP in 2006

Got it. Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised by the Soul's and Cube's highway rating. 30 mpg?

Keep in mind that due to their boxiness; they're not the most aerodynamically-designed vehicles around, so that may be why they tested lower on the highway than one would expect. They may also be heavier than the subcompacts that the OP was seeking as well.

With the G6 I was getting approximately 28 mpg highway in real life (34 mpg listed).

With your vehicle obviously being a 2006; that "34" was obviously based off the old rating system. As previously listed, the 2008 highway rating for that engine and transmission in the Malibu (and likely the G6 and Saturn Aura as well) is listed at 30 mpg. Colder climate temperatures (where you reside) and if one is driving w/a lead foot (not necessarily saying that's you) almost always means lower actual mileage regardless of the vehicle in question.

The Altima is better (about 35 mpg highway), however it's still worse than the listed value (39 mpg)

I rest my case with regards to vehicles across the board. What year's your Altima?

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):
Quoting Confuscius (Reply 18):
Smart Car

I don't know what it is but I know what it isn't, that is not a Smart.

I think he was half-joking.

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):

It's a nice car if you only ever need to put two people in it. The back seat is for cosmetic purposes only.

That can be said for a lot of cars out there, including Camaros and Mustangs.

Going from a mid-size Malibu to a pint-size Fiat 500 might be too extreme for the OP. Personally, if one wants to buy a Fiat 500 (as opposed to lease); I would recommend waiting a year or two for any bugs/quirks to be sorted out.

aerorobnz

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:37 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 16):
Disagree. I hate electronic steering, so if you're a keen driver, and like to have the car respond to you, the Fiesta is not the way to go.

I have a renaultsport Clio. That's where my small car money would go for a decent driving car. Sadly not an option for US.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:51 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 22):
It would be interesting to know ho satisfied is StasisLAX with the Malibu's fuel economy. My G6 with a similar drivetrain didn't even come close to the published numbers.

It's summertime here in Phoenix, and the lower-pollution blended fuel here is killing the gas mileage on the Malibu. I bought it when I lived in grey, overcast Long Beach - but I am getting poor (18 mpg) fuel economy on the "summer-blend" fuel in 90 percent urban driving. I am trying to get out of the Malibu before the bottom falls out of the Chevy's resale value, thus the consideration for trading it on a urban hatchback. The Malibu is just more car than I need now.

I've driven a Fiesta and a Soul in the last 2 days - while I love the "Sync" infotainment system in the Fiesta, I think that the Soul "!" model I drove was a better overall value with included features - about $2K less than the Fiesta (with the dual-clutch manumatic transmission). Insurance costs also play into the decision, and the Soul is cheaper to insure by a smidge. Trade-in value at the dealership on the Malibu could make the decision. The local Mazda dealership only had two Mazda2's on his lot - the single "touring" model was kermit green. Not my color. The search continues tomorrow with the Fit and (god forbid) the VW Golf. I was a previous Jetta owner and swore I'd never own a VW again after the issues I suffered through with my Jetta.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciated - keep it coming!

[Edited 2011-04-29 21:54:06]

[Edited 2011-04-29 21:55:23]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

jcs17

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:22 am

Buy a certified used car from a dealership.

At a $20k price point, and want to buy (as opposed to leasing), you're really robbing yourself of having a nice ride if you insist on going new. At $20k you're looking at slightly used/demo Accord or Camry, or a more used BMW 3-series or Mercedes C-class.

I worked for Subaru USA and Toyota USA out of college, and I learned that the dealerships only put the most pristine used models on the lot -- the rest go to wholesalers.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:24 pm

My shopping list includes: Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Fiesta 5-door, and possibly the Kia Rio5 or the Mazda 2

I'd say MAYBE a Fiesta, but I was very much disappointed when I test drove one about a month ago. Still, not as bad as all the other cars you mentioned. Also, it irritates me that they advertise it as a sporty car when it drives like crap and it's slow as hell.

If you want a small hatch in that category I'd say get a SEAT IBiza by far (I have the only one in the eastern US) but too bad they aren't sold here. It's like a mini VW GTI.

So I say you should go up a notch and look at a Golf. Mazda 3 isn't too bad either.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 5):

Oh hell no. It drives like shit.

czbbflier

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:29 pm

I went and test drove a Fiesta as well. It was a good drive- solid suspension and a comfortable seat. However, while driving the 5-speed manual version of the sedan (I have not driven the hatchback) it felt a little underpowered. Lots of noise from under the hood but a little underwhelming in the driving-from-the-seat-of-your-pants department. Fuel economy is better with the 6-speed automatic.

As for the Mazda, I've looked at them and they just look cheap. They feel cheap. And between the Fiesta and the Mazda 2, the Canadian Consumer guide comes down heavily in favour of the Fiesta.

On the other hand, the FIAT 500 is an excellent choice. I don't know the trim levels in the States but the middle trim range in Canada is very well appointed. It is small but it feels very solid and it has decent get-up-and-go. The seats are very comfortable and the fit and finish were better than the Ford's.

RayChuang

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Here's my choice for a new car that is reasonably roomy and gets good performance and fuel economy:

2012 Hyundai Accent (saloon version shown)

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/hyundai/accent/2012/ns/2012_hyundai_accent_f34_ns_41511_717.jpg

I've read that a fully-loaded 2012 Hyundai Accent will probably go for around US$17,000.

aerorobnz

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 36):
Oh hell no. It drives like shit.

Out of the options they all do.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2011 2:05 am

Drove a Fit and a Golf (nee Rabbit) today. Also drove a new Jetta just for the heck of it. The Jetta's interior has really been de-contented alot since the 2003 GLS Turbo version I owned - hard cheap plastics everywhere and the 5-cylinder VW motor is rough-running in both the Golf and the Jetta. The Honda Fit Sport was fine - typically solid Honda, if somewhat boring looking (even in "revolution orange") and not very sporty, but huge inside. Went to the Nissan dealer and had a bad feeling about the Cube - seemed to have alot of huge blindspots and the headliner was uber-cheap cardboard. Back to the Hyundai dealer - the Soul I looked at yesterday was SOLD last night. So the sales manager had me drive a Soul "sport" model in molten red with alloy wheels, bluetooth, kicking soundsystem, and a sunroof. Folded down the backseat and was shocked by how much space there was in the cargo hold - almost as much space as the Fit. And he'd honor the same price as the lower-model "Exclaim" I drove yesterday. I said SOLD! So as of tomorrow, it's a new Soul for me. Thanks for the input, motorheads.

WildcatYXU

Sun May 01, 2011 3:27 am

OK, you've already decided, but allow me a question: Why did you decide to go exclusively with hatchbacks (I know, they're very practical) and why didn't you consider the Chevy Cruze?

BMI727

Sun May 01, 2011 3:47 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 40):
So the sales manager had me drive a Soul "sport" model in molten red with alloy wheels, bluetooth, kicking soundsystem, and a sunroof. Folded down the backseat and was shocked by how much space there was in the cargo hold - almost as much space as the Fit. And he'd honor the same price as the lower-model "Exclaim" I drove yesterday. I said SOLD! So as of tomorrow, it's a new Soul for me. Thanks for the input, motorheads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTH29EhVy3c

Guess Kia is the new Daewoo.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 41):
OK, you've already decided, but allow me a question: Why did you decide to go exclusively with hatchbacks (I know, they're very practical) and why didn't you consider the Chevy Cruze?

Hatchbacks were a must to fit a wheelchair for a family member that I'm caring for. Wish GM imported the 5-door Cruze, but of course they don't. It's a Europe only model. Also got the KBB trade-in price (plus a couple more bucks) on the Malibu - and the Hyundai-Kia dealership is right down the street from where I live, which helps with any service the Soul might need.

[Edited 2011-04-30 21:54:50]

PHLBOS

Mon May 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 34):
It's summertime here in Phoenix, and the lower-pollution blended fuel here is killing the gas mileage on the Malibu.

Wouldn't you have a similar gas mileage-reduction issues with ANY gas-powered vehicle out there?

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 34):
I am getting poor (18 mpg) fuel economy on the "summer-blend" fuel in 90 percent urban driving.

18 mpg out of the EPA city rating of 22 is about an 18% reduction in fuel economy. Since you seem interested in the Kia Soul; let's apply a similar reduction percentage to its EPA city ratings for both engines:

An 18% reduction on the 1.6L model (EPA city 26) yields about 21.3 mpg
An 18% reduction on the 2.0L model (EPA city 24) yields about 19.6 mpg

Bottom Line: not much of an improvement over your Malibu and the fact that you'll be taking on another car payment essentially eradicates whatever fuel savings you might get w/the Soul.

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 43):
Hatchbacks were a must to fit a wheelchair for a family member that I'm caring for.

First and foremost, I think you should have stated such from the get-go.

Second, many notchback sedans (including your Malibu I believe) are equipped w/folding rear seats. Assuming that the wheelchair in question is of the fold-flat type (is it?); most sedans that offer folding rear seats SHOULD be able to accomodate such.

If the above is indeed the case; I still believe that keeping your Malibu is still the more overall cost-effective option IMHO.