Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thegreatRDU
Topic Author

Arizona Names Official State Gun

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:45 pm

The Colt revolver, a historic remnant from the shoot-em-up days of the old West, is now Arizona's official gun.

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Thursday signed a bill into law that makes the Colt Single Action Army Revolver the state's firearm, making Arizona only the second in the nation to have such a designation.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110429/us_nm/us_arizona_colt

Nice to see they've gotten past the Gabby Giffords situation....   
Our Returning Champion

casinterest

RE: Arizona Names Official State Gun

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Quoting thegreatRDU (Thread starter):
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Thursday signed a bill into law that makes the Colt Single Action Army Revolver the state's firearm, making Arizona only the second in the nation to have such a designation.

I think it is great to see such conservative leadership waste time and effort over something so meaningless. It is almost like they arw wasting tax payers money.

What the hell good is a state gun?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

canoecarrier

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 1):
I think it is great to see such conservative leadership waste time and effort over something so meaningless. It is almost like they arw wasting tax payers money.

Well, to be fair every state I know of has a state flower, state tree, flower, mammal, hell even the great state of WA I live in named the Pacific Chorus Fog it's state amphibian in 2007. Good to know though that Utah adopted the M1911 it's state firearm though this year. Great pistol  

For more rediculous things our 50 states name their "state" something or other here's a list, for what it's worth it's from Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_U.S._state_insignia
The beatings will continue until morale improves

casinterest

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 2):
Well, to be fair every state I know of has a state flower, state tree, flower, mammal, hell even the great state of WA I live in named the Pacific Chorus Fog it's state amphibian in 2007. Good to know though that Utah adopted the M1911 it's state firearm though this year. Great pistol

To be fair, these are things to be proud of. A gun is a force for destruction, and a tool for when common sense and diplomacy fail....... well now that I think of it, this describes the Arizona Government, I get it completely now.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

canoecarrier

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 3):
To be fair, these are things to be proud of. A gun is a force for destruction

You obviously didn't look up the official dinosaur of the District of Columbia, I would argue the carnivorous Capitalsaurus (no joke) could be pretty destructive too  

fr8mech

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 1):

About as good and relevant as a Presidential NCAA Basketball Bracket.

To be fair, these are things to be proud of. A gun is a force for destruction, and a tool for when common sense and diplomacy fail....... well now that I think of it, this describes the Arizona Government, I get it completely now.

When you look at the history of the US and the history of this gun and its variants, you'll find ample reason to understand why Arizonians and others are proud of this tool and its manufacturer.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

NIKV69

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:40 am

Quoting thegreatRDU (Thread starter):
Nice to see they've gotten past the Gabby Giffords situation....

How dare they? There may even be some who vote against her if she runs for Senate.

I think have a official state gun is silly but it's their thing. Who cares. Seems like just another thing for the anti-gun crowd to rally against.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

NZ767

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:19 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 2):
Well, to be fair every state I know of has a state flower, state tree, flower, mammal, hell even the great state of WA I live in named the Pacific Chorus Fog it's state amphibian in 2007

Big difference. These are all natural flora and fauna. As casinterst said, a gun is a force for destruction. So does that make the Colt single action the weapon of choice for the next mass shooting?

lowrider

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:00 am

A gun is a force for destruction, and a tool for when common sense and diplomacy fail.......

Its also a tool to defend yourself with, get food with, provide law enforcement with weight behind its authority, and end the suffering of an injured animal. Overall, its just a piece of engineering. No different than if Alaska named the SuperCub its state aircraft.
Proud OOTSK member

Flighty

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:05 am

Does it have a state book? Let me guess... no?

NZ767

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:08 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 8):
Its also a tool to defend yourself with

Never once had to do that with a gun in my 46 years.

get food with

We have supermarkets here. Hunted when I was younger with a rifle but that was by choice, not necessity.

provide law enforcement with weight behind its authority

In well trained hands and in the right circumstances, yes. I know a few cops. I'd hate to see them with guns though. Not mature enough.

lowrider

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:25 am

Quoting NZ767 (Reply 10):

Glad for you, not everyone can make the same claim, particularly some of the early residents of AZ. Even today it continues to be an occasional necessity there.

We have supermarkets here. Hunted when I was younger with a rifle but that was by choice, not necessity.

I think they have those in AZ now, too. Still, looking back over the state's history, that was not always the case. I would not be surprised if some residents still choose to rely on hunting for subsistence. Handgun hunters are a distinct subset here.

I know a few cops. I'd hate to see them with guns though. Not mature enough.

Doesn't say much for your police. I have no such qualms with all of the ones I know personally, and most of the ones I have met.
Proud OOTSK member

DocLightning

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:03 am

Well Bully for Arizona.

So here's what undoubtedly happened. The NRA took a few members of the Arizona legislature and got them laid, gave them a bottle of really great Scotch, maybe managed to figure how to get him and his wife fixed up nicely at some junket in Hawaii. And then once they were good pals, someone at the NRA casually suggested to him something like, "If I could choose, I'd make the XXX the official state gun, Jim. What about you?"

Senator Jim (or whoever he was), thought for a moment and replied, "Well, I dunno, Carlton, I sure like the XXX."

And this went back and forth and the idea got bounced a few other congressmen (they were almost certainly men) until they came up with the Colt Single Action. And then they introduced a bill and palled around with some allies and at every step of the way, people who were ambivalent about the idea would say, "Well, it's ultimately harmless, costs nothing, and it'll earn me some brownie points with Jim in case I ever need his help on something. So I'll go along with it."

Until it got to the Governor, who signed it for the very reason of the fact that it's ultimately harmless, costs nothing, and and would score some free brownie points in the Party. It's all harmless, it's fun, it's free. It's offensive to some groups, but it won't harm them. And the NRA (and everyone in the firearms industry, really) gets a bit of low-cost marketing.

I'm not pointing fingers (because this sort of nonsense happens all the time and in every corner of the political spectrum), I'm just telling it like it is.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stasisLAX

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:08 am

Gawd, there are days that I hate being an Arizonian. Today, the Shuttle should have launched with Gibby Giffords watching the lift-off. So the "red meat" Republicans decided to make today the day the idiots name an official state gun. Coincidence, I think NOT.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

NZ767

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:41 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 11):
Glad for you, not everyone can make the same claim, particularly some of the early residents of AZ
Still, looking back over the state's history, that was not always the case

Sorry. I thought we were talking about the present day.

Handgun hunters are a distinct subset here.

Yep, we have our share of lowlifes like that too.

Doesn't say much for your police. I have no such qualms with all of the ones I know personally, and most of the ones I have met.

Actually it says a lot in a more general sense. Fortunately I live in a country where citizens are not allowed to bear arms. Less chance of a six year old taking his dads pistol to school and accidently injuring some classmates for instance.
The cops I was referring to were just a few individuals. Here you can become a cop at age 19.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:03 am

Quoting NZ767 (Reply 14):
Yep, we have our share of lowlifes like that too.

So a hunter is a lowlife? Really? Because he chooses to hunt to put food on his table, or on the table of those in need, or for sport, he is a lowlife?

The state of Arizona has decided they want a state gun, that's up to them. Personally, I'd rather politicians make useless resolutions like this than some of the other 'helpful' laws they come up with.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
Until it got to the Governor, who signed it for the very reason of the fact that it's ultimately harmless, costs nothing, and and would score some free brownie points in the Party. It's all harmless, it's fun, it's free. It's offensive to some groups, but it won't harm them. And the NRA (and everyone in the firearms industry, really) gets a bit of low-cost marketing.

Nicely said.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

NZ767

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:11 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 15):
So a hunter is a lowlife? Really? Because he chooses to hunt to put food on his table, or on the table of those in need, or for sport, he is a lowlife?

I didnt say that. Go back and read the post properly, the bit about "handgun hunters".
Crims who pack a pistol to mug people or rob a bank etc. At least that's what I took it to mean. Nothing to do with hunting.

Unless we're lost in translation here.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:21 am

Quoting NZ767 (Reply 16):
I didnt say that. Go back and read the post properly, the bit about "handgun hunters".

No, I read it. I know plenty of folks that hunt with handguns exclusively. They are a subset of hunters, much like bowhunters. Haven't met a knife hunter, though I sure there are some out there.

NZ767

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 am

Oh ok.
Definitely lost in translation then. When he said "subset of handgun hunters", I thought he meant the criminal element, esp with the "subset" part. I didn't know you guys hunt with handguns over there. Geez, what do you hunt with those? Raccoons?
Would much rather use a .303 or .308 myself but then I havent been hunting since I was a kid.  

NIKV69

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:45 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
So here's what undoubtedly happened. The NRA took a few members of the Arizona legislature and got them laid, gave them a bottle of really great Scotch, maybe managed to figure how to get him and his wife fixed up nicely at some junket in Hawaii

Where do I sign?

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 13):
Gawd, there are days that I hate being an Arizonian. Today, the Shuttle should have launched with Gibby Giffords watching the lift-off. So the "red meat" Republicans decided to make today the day the idiots name an official state gun. Coincidence, I think NOT.

So you hate your country because a state passed a law and a part of the shuttle overheated and had to be scrubbed? Well the day the last shuttle flies we be a day I probably feel the same way while our budget goes haywire.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

DocLightning

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:48 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 19):

Where do I sign?

Run for office.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:52 am

Quoting NZ767 (Reply 18):
Geez, what do you hunt with those? Raccoons?

One guy I know hunts black (or is it brown) bear with a .44.

NZ767

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:55 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 21):
One guy I know hunts black (or is it brown) bear with a .44.

Yeah well I guess a .44 would do a bear.

pacificjourney

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks canoecarrier for the link to state lists.

I now have endless crap to test US friends with - Maryland State sport, Jousting - New York State dance, The lindy Hop - Alabama State soil, Bama - you really couldn't make this stuff up !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

lowrider

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:07 am

Quoting NZ767 (Reply 18):
Geez, what do you hunt with those? Raccoons?

Anything from small game with a .22, to boar, to deer, elk, or moose with more specialized guns.

Sorry. I thought we were talking about the present day.

To a certain extent we are, in that handguns are still used for a variety of purposes today, but as far as I know, the Colt revolver in question has been out of production for quite some time, although specialty firms may be producing replicas. It was as much a part of the settling of the west as the Conestoga wagon.

Fortunately I live in a country where citizens are not allowed to bear arms.

I don't consider that fortunate in the least. I would rather live where people have the choice to or not. Occasionally bad decisions will be made, but that is one of the costs of freedoms.
Proud OOTSK member

Newark727

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:53 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 24):
Occasionally bad decisions will be made, but that is one of the costs of freedoms.

I don't think the freedom to bear arms is worth paying for with a wanton spree killer massacre every few years. I would say that you're entitled to your opinion on the matter but lives are literally at stake.

prosa

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm scarcely a gun expert, but IINM single-action revolvers are fairly slow to fire and reload, and in addition hold a maximum of six rounds. For these reasons they are not the sort of firearms that criminals are likely to use.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

DeltaMD90

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Quoting PROSA (Reply 26):
I'm scarcely a gun expert, but IINM single-action revolvers are fairly slow to fire and reload, and in addition hold a maximum of six rounds.

Most criminals use small handguns, many illegal. I'm out of country and don't want to be searching their internet for weapons, but type in google "weapons most used in crime." Lots of revolvers and low capacity guns are actually used quite frequently, and "AK-47s" and other "assault weapons" are hardly ever used. I think the best way to cut down on 90% of America's gun crime is to take it away from the dumbasses, unfortunately, it's kinda hard to draft a law like that...

kingairta

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 25):
don't think the freedom to bear arms is worth paying for with a wanton spree killer massacre every few years

I think planes should be outlawed. I mean is it worth having a plane with 100+ people just fall out of the sky and kill every one every few years?

lowrider

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 25):
I don't think the freedom to bear arms is worth paying for with a wanton spree killer massacre every few years. I would say that you're entitled to your opinion on the matter but lives are literally at stake.

Then I suggest you move somewhere where that isn't a concern, and let those of us who wish to live in that manner do so.
Proud OOTSK member

Maverick623

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:50 pm

In my 24 years, I would have been justified in drawing down on someone 4 times (the most recent being last week).

I said this in a different thread: just because NZ gun laws work in NZ, doesn't mean they work in the US (and, obviously, vice versa).

In well trained hands and in the right circumstances, yes. I know a few cops. I'd hate to see them with guns though. Not mature enough.

Then maybe you need better cops.

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 28):

I think planes should be outlawed. I mean is it worth having a plane with 100+ people just fall out of the sky and kill every one every few years?

I think cars should be outlawed. It's not worth it having 100 people die every few hours.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

canoecarrier

Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 26):
I'm scarcely a gun expert, but IINM single-action revolvers are fairly slow to fire and reload, and in addition hold a maximum of six rounds. For these reasons they are not the sort of firearms that criminals are likely to use.

The last time the left tried to pull that stunt hundreds of thousands of legal guns were sold. 10 years ago a SKS used to cost around $100 the were shipped over from eastern Europe by the crate. Around 2008 the price rose to around $325 a gun. And, they're selling fast still to legal gun owners. All gun laws in the US do is make legal gun owners pay more while illegal gun owners continue buying/selling guns as usual.

Feel free to feel the way you do. I'm a federally licensed gun collector and I'm going to buy up every gun I want just in case. Illegal gun owners are the ones causing the problems, why don't you focus on enforcing the laws on the books before you start infringing on my constitutional rights? If I, and everyone else, treated the 1st amendment the way you treat the 2nd things would be different.

Newark727

Sun May 01, 2011 3:39 am

Bogus analogy for several reasons. A right to travel has vastly different social implications from a right to carry deadly force and these rights should be considered separately. And it's not as though commercial airplanes are designed to kill. (Yes, I know, not all guns are either.)

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 29):

Then I suggest you move somewhere where that isn't a concern, and let those of us who wish to live in that manner do so.

Guns aren't a matter of "live and let live," unfortunately. In states such as New York where voters have decided to reduce gun availability firearms can still be brought in from places where people do wish to "live in that manner." Furthermore while I'm sure most gun owners are responsible about the keeping of their arms, the fact remains that they can still sometimes be stolen like anything else.

DeltaMD90

Sun May 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 31):
10 years ago a SKS used to cost around $100 the were shipped over from eastern Europe by the crate. Around 2008 the price rose to around $325 a gun.

Tell me about it, I just got one. Funny thing is, how many freakin SKS's (or similar style ones) are used in crime???

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 32):
Guns aren't a matter of "live and let live," unfortunately. In states such as New York where voters have decided to reduce gun availability firearms can still be brought in from places where people do wish to "live in that manner."

That's what I feel is optimal: states' rights. I respect other states' wishes to be less armed, just as I hope they respect mine. If there was a way to cut down on transferring between states, I think that would be an agreeable goal.

the fact remains that they can still sometimes be stolen like anything else.

I hate this argument. I HATE IT. I forget which fallacy it is, but just because guns CAN be stolen, doesn't mean the only solution is banning guns completely. Make mandatory gun safe laws, I wouldn't care, that would cut down on children getting ahold of them (blame the stupid parents on that account as well.) I'm not saying you said banning guns is the only answer, but I've seen that argument used in this regard many, many times.

lowrider

Sun May 01, 2011 3:15 pm

In states such as New York where voters have decided to reduce gun availability firearms can still be brought in from places where people do wish to "live in that manner."

Spurious argument. People who go through the trouble to acquire guns in a legal manners are extremely unlikely to turn around and use them in an illegal manner. People who acquire them in an illegal manner aren't really all that concerned with the gun purchase laws in the first place, are they? So whether they acquire a gun illegally in New York, New Jersey, or New Mexico is irrelevant. An outlawing of guns will have no deterrent value. All the voters in New York have done is make the black market for guns more lucrative.
Proud OOTSK member

Newark727

Sun May 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 33):

That's what I feel is optimal: states' rights. I respect other states' wishes to be less armed, just as I hope they respect mine. If there was a way to cut down on transferring between states, I think that would be an agreeable goal.

I'm not sure how you'd go about it exactly but yes, I think that would be beneficial.

I hate this argument. I HATE IT. I forget which fallacy it is, but just because guns CAN be stolen, doesn't mean the only solution is banning guns completely. Make mandatory gun safe laws, I wouldn't care, that would cut down on children getting ahold of them (blame the stupid parents on that account as well.) I'm not saying you said banning guns is the only answer, but I've seen that argument used in this regard many, many times.

I mentioned it mostly because there's this barrier between illegal gun owners and legal gun owners being posited by some posters here and the possibility of gun theft is one possible way that the two groups are blurred.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 34):

Spurious argument. People who go through the trouble to acquire guns in a legal manners are extremely unlikely to turn around and use them in an illegal manner. People who acquire them in an illegal manner aren't really all that concerned with the gun purchase laws in the first place, are they? So whether they acquire a gun illegally in New York, New Jersey, or New Mexico is irrelevant. An outlawing of guns will have no deterrent value. All the voters in New York have done is make the black market for guns more lucrative.

I wouldn't say so. I'm not purporting to know as much as gun owners on questions of distribution, but the illegally traded guns have to start somewhere, right? And as much as I distrust them it's not as if gun companies are saying "let's sell these to people who are legally disallowed from having them!"

NZ767

Mon May 02, 2011 11:39 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 30):

Then maybe you need better cops.

Why? Because I wouldn't trust a few individuals that I know of with a firearm? More of a reflection on them rather than the entire force. Where was Rodney King from again??

Big difference. Airplane are not designed to kill (military excepted of course). 

canoecarrier

Mon May 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Tell me about it, I just got one. Funny thing is, how many freakin SKS's (or similar style ones) are used in crime???

Right, and what I forgot to mention is that the price spiked almost overnight when a pro-gun control president was elected. But, that didn't effect demand at all, they were flying off the shelves of gun stores because he ran on a platform that would pull hi-cap magazines and firearms that use them off the gun store shelves again. I plan on buying two rifles that fall under this category in the next three months solely for the purpose of getting them before any ban is placed on the. If that wasn't the case, I probably would hold of on buying them.

DeltaMD90

Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm

My friends wife just witnessed a hold up at Walmart, it's dangerous in some poorer parts of ATL! She plans on getting a handgun when she turns 21. I'm tellin ya, there are some bad parts of America, stuff gets dangerous! Rather be armed in this chaos than not...

Maverick623

Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Quoting NZ767 (Reply 36):
Because I wouldn't trust a few individuals that I know of with a firearm? More of a reflection on them rather than the entire force.

Apologies. I thought you were talking about the entire force.

We obviously have our bad apples here too.

Quoting NZ767 (Reply 36):
Big difference. Airplane are not designed to kill

It doesn't matter what it's "designed" to do! A dead person is a dead person!
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way