Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

D L X

Obama confirmed the death of Osama Bin Laden Pt.1

Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 am

INteresting notes on the auspiciousness of this day:

May 1, 1945: Adolf Hitler's death was announced.

May 1, 2011: Osama bin Laden's death was announced.

Mudboy

Mon May 02, 2011 5:09 am

Quoting B595 (Reply 148):
"The United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSWDG), commonly known as DEVGRU and informally by its former name SEAL Team Six (ST6)."

Dude, I don't get my info from Wiki.

LMP737

Mon May 02, 2011 5:11 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 132):
Food for thought - I am curious to see the reactions in Muslim streets.

I'm going to put my money on not much if anything. Maybe a few goofs here and there but that's about it. You have to remember that Al Queda had not qualms about killing fellow Muslims if they felt they were not "Islamic" enough. Or killing Shites since they viewed them as heretics.

The Sunni tribes in Iraq turned on Al Queda becasue they realized that all Al Queda wanted to do was kill. That and trying to undermine the centuries old tribal system there.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Mir

Mon May 02, 2011 5:13 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 150):
May 1, 1945: Adolf Hitler's death was announced.

May 1, 2011: Osama bin Laden's death was announced.

Another, somewhat more relevant one:

May 1, 2003: George W. Bush makes "Mission Accomplished" speech.

I'm not trying to draw comparisons between Bush and Obama or anything like that - it's just coincidence. But it's still interesting.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BlueElephant

Mon May 02, 2011 5:20 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42853221...world_news-south_and_central_asia/
More info coming in. Apparently Pakistan was NOT notified in advance of the mission.

B595

Mon May 02, 2011 5:20 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 151):
Dude, I don't get my info from Wiki.

Unfortunately, a lot of the general public does, so until someone knowledgable (like yourself) edits that Wiki, people are going to piss you off by calling DEVGRU by it's old name SEAL Team 6.  

propilot83

Mon May 02, 2011 5:28 am

I AM VERY HAPPY THAT OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD, HE WAS NOTHING BUT A FILTHY RAT, AN EVILDOER, AND GOD WILL SHOW HIM HIS ETERNAL DAYS OF SEVERE NON LASTING PUNISHMENT IN THE HELL OF FIRE WHEN THE WORLD ENDS. I myself is a proud Muslim, and a terrorist is not a Muslim, and a Muslim is not a terrorist, let me just put it that way, like President Obama has said. I love Obama, he is a great man, even if he is a Muslim himself, I hope he is.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2011 5:29 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 154):
Apparently Pakistan was NOT notified in advance of the mission

No President or any Military official would put the whole mission on a chance that he could be tipped off. On the verge of a huge coup Obama would have signed off on that no matter what Pakistan said.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

imiakhtar

Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 am

More info coming in. Apparently Pakistan was NOT notified in advance of the mission.

As I said, very unlikely. Just spoken to my uncle in the Congo. According to his friends at Army GHQ Rawalpindi, the US asked and got Pakistani permission to use A-10s for Close air support if need be. Apparently there is a US military base near Tarbela too.
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

BlueElephant

Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 am

Quoting imiakhtar (Reply 158):
As I said, very unlikely
Apparently Pakistan was NOT notified in advance of the mission.

Note...Advance. meaning this was a U.S. mission with Pakistani officials notified at the last second.

jcs17

Mon May 02, 2011 5:40 am

They just showed the body on Pakistani TV.

The helicopter crashed on the compound grounds, and that's why the compound caught fire.

[Edited 2011-05-01 22:42:51]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Dreadnought

Mon May 02, 2011 5:48 am

Quoting propilot83 (Reply 156):
I love Obama, he is a great man, even if he is a Muslim himself, I hope he is.

Ooooooooh, boy...

There is a big opportunity for some psychological warfare here. How can we show to his fanatical followers that God was not on his side?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

imiakhtar

Mon May 02, 2011 5:49 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 160):
The helicopter crashed on the compound grounds, and that's why the compound caught fire.

Conflicting reports at the moment. Pakistani news is saying Pakistan army helicopter crashed in Abbottabad.

11Bravo

Mon May 02, 2011 5:53 am

Quoting imiakhtar (Reply 158):
As I said, very unlikely.

You're right. I'm quite certain we gave your government advanced notification,.... to stay away from this area and not interfere with US military forces, or there would be severe and catastrophic consequences.
WhaleJets Rule!

flymia

Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 am

Quoting BladeLWS (Reply 50):
Check out CNN, tourists at the White House fence singing the star spangled banner and cheering USA USA USA!!!

Mostly college students and mostly students from George Washington University which is 3 blocks from the White House.

Quoting Tower (Reply 59):
Seeing that gave me chills and grin from ear to ear.
Quoting flanker (Reply 89):
I love all the people singing outside the white house. Epic. Cant wait till that streams all over the world.

Saw the speech on TV then I headed over there. It was some sight! Thousands of people over there, cars honking on the streets. Glad I was able to go there. Just two weeks before graduation too. Back to studying for finals!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

flanker

Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 am

Mudboy

Mon May 02, 2011 6:05 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 153):
May 1, 2003: George W. Bush makes "Mission Accomplished" speech.

I'm not trying to draw comparisons between Bush and Obama or anything like that - it's just coincidence. But it's still interesting.

My God man, for once can we be Americans, instead of Reps and Dems?? Leave the politics out of this!! I will drop dead if Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh come out and just say "Good Job"! instead of trying to be critical. And as for the Dems, I have no doubt thay will trun it into a Obama did what Bush couldn't pep rally!!
It is about the Military, Intel com, the victims of 9/11, and the people of the US, not the windbags!!
Stay Safe!

[Edited 2011-05-01 23:25:59]

OA260

Mon May 02, 2011 6:07 am

Just seen the picture of him on Sky News certainly looks like him. Nice trophy for Obama to have under his leadership. I just wonder what the response will be by Osama Bin Laden supporters. I see the US have issued warnings for their citizens around the world.

So much for him living in caves lol...

Justice well done today .

imiakhtar

Mon May 02, 2011 6:08 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 163):
You're right. I'm quite certain we gave your government advanced notification,.... to stay away from this area and not interfere with US military forces, or there would be severe and catastrophic consequences.

Lol. Please ignore my flag. I'm in the UK.

The area you refer to is home to the PMA (officer academy) and is home to quite a few fat, balding and retired Pakistani military/ISI chiefs.

By all accounts, it appears likely that Bin Laden was quite settled in his little compound with 15ft high walls and barbed wire.

If anything, Bin Laden outlived his usefulness to the Pakistani military who have probably been baby-sitting him (bear in mind he needed dialysis- very good military hospitals in Abbottabad!).

With Osama's death, Obama's ratings get a boost, and now that India has dropped the US fighter from the MRCA, Pakistan a few shiny F-16s. Everyone's a winner- well almost!  

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2011 6:09 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 164):
Mostly college students and mostly students from George Washington University which is 3 blocks from the White House.

There was an hour delay in Obama's speech. There weren't fine tuning the speech trust me.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 166):
Dems, I have no doubt thay will trun it into a Obama did what Bush couldn't pep rally!!

Yep Rep Ackerman and Wassmerman have already done that.

To say Obama did what Bush couldn't is fine. Facts are the intelligence has been developed before Obama but I give Obama credit. He had to make the call and he got it done.

QANTAS077

Mon May 02, 2011 6:13 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 132):
Food for thought - I am curious to see the reactions in Muslim streets.

best thing the US street can do is not gloat and allow this party to go on too long.

B595

Mon May 02, 2011 6:15 am

I for one wish they would have carted OBL's body away and made it quietly disappear and not said a word about it. A quiet fade to obscurity and irrelevance is exactly what fanatical martyr types fear the most.

etherealsky

Mon May 02, 2011 6:21 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 161):
There is a big opportunity for some psychological warfare here. How can we show to his fanatical followers that God was not on his side?

I think you're forgetting the motivational power of martyrdom.

Quoting propilot83 (Reply 156):
I AM VERY HAPPY THAT OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD, HE WAS NOTHING BUT A FILTHY RAT, AN EVILDOER, AND GOD WILL SHOW HIM HIS ETERNAL DAYS OF SEVERE NON LASTING PUNISHMENT IN THE HELL OF FIRE WHEN THE WORLD ENDS.

Perhaps this is an unpopular view right now and I'm sure I will get flamed for it, but is anyone else repulsed by some of the reactions (see above) to this news? The man did some horrendous things and surely the world is safer without him, but whenever I see people rejoice at the bloodshed of others, I can't help but lose a little more faith in humanity each time.
"And that's why you always leave a note..."

Mudboy

Mon May 02, 2011 6:28 am

As for what to do with OBL's body, anyone ever see Braveheart? 

AeroWesty

Mon May 02, 2011 6:29 am

Quoting etherealsky (Reply 172):
is anyone else repulsed by some of the reactions (see above) to this news?

I think you're seeing relief more than anything. Don't read too much into it.

While I believe in non-violence as a basic ideology, if bin Laden chose a firefight to avoid capture and being brought to justice, then he brought upon his own fate, and I'm okay with that.

The first words I thought of upon hearing the news, was Pres. Ford's speech upon taking the oath of office:

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over."
International Homo of Mystery

Superfly

Mon May 02, 2011 6:29 am

I am so glad that Osama Bin Laden didn't live to get protection from THIS guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ON0SfNK44g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG7lm8Sfbo4
Bring back the Concorde

TheCommodore

Mon May 02, 2011 6:32 am

but is anyone else repulsed by some of the reactions (see above) to this news?

Yes,

The man did some horrendous things and surely the world is safer without him, but whenever I see people rejoice at the bloodshed of others, I can't help but lose a little more faith in humanity each time.

Like this.......

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 173):
As for what to do with OBL's body, anyone ever see Braveheart?

“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

flanker

Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 am

There is a pic floating around of his body but i am not sure if its real yet so i wont post it until i know for sure.

[Edited 2011-05-01 23:41:25]

GDB

Mon May 02, 2011 6:41 am

Well done to the forces who made this happen.
In terms of actual effectiveness against current terrorism, this is not likely to have a huge effect, initially.
But by god, it will have a huge effect psychologically - which may in time have a positive effect.

Obviously it is a massive boost to everyone who lost anyone on Sept 11th 2001, as well as the other attacks around the world up to then, such as in Africa.
The 10th anniversary of Sept 11th is also of course going to be a lot easier to bear for those who lost people.

Not skulking in cave after all.

Reports coming in that one of his sons was killed too.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 am

Quoting qantas077 (Reply 170):
best thing the US street can do is not gloat and allow this party to go on too long.

Thanks for the concern Monty but they will probably go into the morning. Rightly so.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 173):
As for what to do with OBL's body, anyone ever see Braveheart

Nahh Blackhawk down would be better.

Silver1SWA

Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 am

Perhaps this is an unpopular view right now and I'm sure I will get flamed for it, but is anyone else repulsed by some of the reactions (see above) to this news? The man did some horrendous things and surely the world is safer without him, but whenever I see people rejoice at the bloodshed of others, I can't help but lose a little more faith in humanity each time.

I'm feeling a bit uneasy about some of the reactions, especially the celebrating going on outside the White House. I mean, remember how upset everyone was over the reports of muslims celebrating the 9/11 attacks?

I dunno, it's one thing to be happy, relieved, etc. over this. But the over-the-top celebrating just isn't sitting well with me.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

DocLightning

Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 180):

I'm feeling a bit uneasy about some of the reactions, especially the celebrating going on outside the White House. I mean, remember how upset everyone was over the reports of muslims celebrating the 9/11 attacks?

To be fair: the people killed in the WTC were innocent civilians, OBL was not.

Also, a lot of the celebration is "job well done" celebration. Eliminating OBL has been a major military priority, and a vexing one, since 9/12/01
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2011 6:48 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 180):
I dunno, it's one thing to be happy, relieved, etc. over this. But the over-the-top celebrating just isn't sitting well with me.

If you were born and raised in NY you would probably feel a little differently. The DC celebration was most likely manufactured by the WH but in NY it has given us some long needed closure and for that we should celebrate.

Kiwirob

Mon May 02, 2011 6:48 am

Personally I don't see why you lot are so excited, you should be embarrassed that it took 10 years for the mighty US war machine to hunt down and kill one rather sick old man, astonishing really when it only took 5 years to get Hitler and he had a whole country and millions of men under arms.

Silver1SWA

Mon May 02, 2011 6:49 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 181):
To be fair: the people killed in the WTC were innocent civilians, OBL was not.

Also, a lot of the celebration is "job well done" celebration. Eliminating OBL has been a major military priority, and a vexing one, since 9/12/01
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 182):
If you were born and raised in NY you would probably feel a little differently. The DC celebration was most likely manufactured by the WH but in NY it has given us some long needed closure and for that we should celebrate.

Fair enough. I just think it looks bad... That's how I'm feeling about it anyway.

[Edited 2011-05-01 23:50:03]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Superfly

Mon May 02, 2011 6:52 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 178):
Reports coming in that one of his sons was killed too.

Was it his son that wanted to marry Drew Barrymore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNJIkSEGII&feature=related
Bring back the Concorde

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2011 6:56 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 183):
Personally I don't see why you lot are so excited, you should be embarrassed that it took 10 years for the mighty US war machine to hunt down and kill one rather sick old man, astonishing really when it only took 5 years to get Hitler and he had a whole country and millions of men under arms.

Good to see that even on a great night the USA bashing rears it's ugly head. I won't even begin to try to explain the difference of Nazi Germany to Al Qaida but it's fine. We aren't embarrassed. Not even close.

TheCol

Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 am

The man did some horrendous things and surely the world is safer without him, but whenever I see people rejoice at the bloodshed of others, I can't help but lose a little more faith in humanity each time.

People will rejoice in the streets, just as they did on VE day and VJ day. Bin Laden's death proves that nobody can strike our democracy's with impunity. If you can't take satisfaction in that, then you're lack of faith has nothing to do with humanity.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

flymia

Mon May 02, 2011 7:03 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 169):

There was an hour delay in Obama's speech. There weren't fine tuning the speech trust me.

What in the world did I say about a speech??

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 182):
The DC celebration was most likely manufactured by the WH b

Absolutely not!! From someone who was there I can tell you these were just students of DC and people who live in the area along with some tourist. You think the USSS likes having these huge crowds out of no where? USSS did a great job btw tonight!

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 186):
Good to see that even on a great night the USA bashing rears it's ugly head. I won't even begin to try to explain the difference of Nazi Germany to Al Qaida but it's fine. We aren't embarrassed. Not even close.

Agree with you 100% there. No one here in DC is embarrassed this is a great day!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

EA CO AS

Mon May 02, 2011 7:04 am

Personally I don't see why you lot are so excited, you should be embarrassed

Actually, you should be ashamed to have posted that. Poor form.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

dragon-wings

Mon May 02, 2011 7:05 am

On CNN there was a reporter in Israel and he said he was talking to some Israeli citizens and they said that if Israel was hunting Osama they would of gotten him a lot sooner that the US did.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

GDB

Mon May 02, 2011 7:06 am

I can well understand people celebrating, yes it's never an attractive trait to do so, however I think in this case a lot of people have every right as a reaction.

I don't get the idea that 'it took only 5 years to get Hitler', he was head of a state, with all the trappings, not someone embedded within a civil population.

His death may cause terrorists to plan revenge, however aren't they working hard to plan attacks anyway?

Another factor, those who direct, fund, encourage such attacks, who never put on a bomb vest themselves, are not, will never be, really safe. OBL's escape and near decade of hiding provided them with succor, not any more.

Worth noting that the actual planner of Sept 11th, was captured in a not dissimilar place, not the only leader of this type either.

Klima

Mon May 02, 2011 7:12 am

Regarding his body...

I heard on FOX news that he will be buried tomorrow (today?) by 4 pm in accordance with islamic tradition. But no one seems to know where. They mentioned he might be buried at sea or that the Saudi's might take his body. He will be buried where there can be no obvious shrine to him.

Congrats to our intelligence community on getting the data, the SEALs for going in, and Obama for giving the operation the go.

Well played by all!

clipperhawaii

Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 am

I have been waiting a long time for the news that this scoundrel is at last DEAD! May he rot in hell for all eternity.

A big thank you and congratulations to the intelligence community and to the military of the United States of America. Justice is served!

Let this be a lesson to the rest of those who wish to do harm to the citizens of the United States. No matter how long it takes we will ultimately get you.

Now, where's my champagne? It's time to celebrate and laugh at all the nay sayers that said we would never get Bin Laden. Ha ha!

CH
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

SOBHI51

Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 am

Job well done USA. Thank you
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

EA CO AS

Mon May 02, 2011 7:18 am

Quoting Klima (Reply 192):
I heard on FOX news that he will be buried tomorrow (today?) by 4 pm in accordance with islamic tradition.

CNN is reporting the body has already been disposed of at sea.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

dragon-wings

Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 am

I heard on FOX news that he will be buried tomorrow (today?) by 4 pm in accordance with islamic tradition. But no one seems to know where. They mentioned he might be buried at sea or that the Saudi's might take his body. He will be buried where there can be no obvious shrine to him.

CNN just said he was already buried at sea.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

clipperhawaii

Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 am

Bin Laden is dead. Tough to deal with for some I'm sure.

Vengeance is sweeter when old. Just like fine wine.

CH   
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

B595

Mon May 02, 2011 7:26 am

Congrats to our intelligence community on getting the data, the SEALs for going in

Where did you hear it was the SEALS? All I've found in the news thus far is that it was a small American team that used two helicopters. That doesn't narrow it down much.

edit: Never mind. Quoting CNN, ".... a senior defense official said U.S. Navy SEALs were involved."

[Edited 2011-05-02 00:30:41]

Klima

Mon May 02, 2011 7:30 am

Quoting B595 (Reply 198):
Where did you hear it was the SEALS?

I've heard it a few times on the US networks that it was the SEALs. I don't know if that's been confirmed 100%, but that seems to be everyone's guess.

And I just heard about the burial at sea.