Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Just Booked Queen Mary 2 UK-US In August!

Fri May 06, 2011 7:38 pm

My girlfriend and I just booked our tickets on the Queen Mary 2 for this summer. As she will be moving from Europe to the US for a year, we figured that the surface travel would add a nice touch to her time abroad. Myself, even though I love flying, I'm also an enthusiast of overland travel and would love to experience this very special way of crossing the Atlantic.

We've also been looking into container ships, but they are slower and we couldn't fit it into our schedules, also they are more expensive. Now we're in an inside cabin and surprisingly the fare was not much more than what a flight would be. My fare even includes a flight back on Virgin ten days later.

We're very excited about the whole thing, especially the dining with the dress code, and also we're looking forward to experiencing the distance that really lies between the two continents. I guess it will give us a feeling of how big our planet really is.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

OA260

RE: Just Booked Queen Mary 2 UK-US In August!

Fri May 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Transatlantic is an amazing experience I did it myself and loved it. Would love to do it again sometime when I have the spare vacation days.

For info www.cruisecritic.com is a great place to meet others who will be on the same sailing or get tipps and info .

MD11Bob

Fri May 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Well, then I can only wish a lot of fun and hope that you write a report   The QM2 definiately looks great. I agree wth you about the feeling for distance. And I think that it is a more glamorous style of traveling compared to flying, atleast if someone is not in a hurry.

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
We've also been looking into container ships

Can you tell me a little more about this option? And maybe give me some links where I can look it up? Sounds quite interesting aswell  

OA260

Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Quoting MD11Bob (Reply 2):
Can you tell me a little more about this option?
http://www.aws.co.uk/cruises/

http://www.rickmers-linie.de/index.php

http://www.aranui.com/

Just a few for you to check out !

bananaboy

Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Fantastic. Sailing this route is really something very special and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I did this route, though not on QMII last summer and it was, without doubt, the most relaxing week I think I've ever had. No shore excursions, no "guilt" from staying in bed late rather than seeing a port of call. Just endless horizons. Really very special.

It's a pity that they don't use the Manhattan terminal for the ship. We sailed right up The Hudson to the cruise terminal which gave a great view of downtown, whereas I believe that QMII uses Brooklyn. Still, you'll sail past The Statue of Liberty which is very special.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

ClassicLover

Sat May 07, 2011 10:31 am

Oh, I think you're going to be in for an amazing time!  

I did it the other way - BA from LHR-JFK, and then straight onto the QE2 to go back to Southampton. Just make sure you take your tux with you for the formal dinner nights, of which I think there are four of them out of the six nights. It's formal wear from 6pm. That said, you can get room service in your cabin if you don't feel like eating and there is a casual restaurant - but the food is so amazing at dinner that you'd be mad not to eat properly every night.

The food is nothing short of amazing! Alcohol is not included and it's expensive, so plan on that if you wish to drink. You will get a card and won't have to pay for it until the last day, but it's pricey so make sure you've plenty of money on your credit card. Even things like your embarkation photo and photo with the Captain are something like $30 each, so yeah.

It's an awesome experience and you will love it, so lap it all up!  
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

MadameConcorde

Sat May 07, 2011 11:31 am

This is a brilliant idea. With the crossings now extended to 7 days you will have plenty of time to explore the Ship and take advantage of everything it has to offer.

A crossing is a very good idea, rather than a cruise. Mary is probably the only true TransAtlantic Liner left nowadays. I think she is still RMS also. She is a big beautiful French Ship, born from Chantiers de l'Atlantique in Saint Nazaire.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time on board all through your trip.

[Edited 2011-05-07 04:33:06]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde