jetblue777
Topic Author

Best And Worst Hotel Brand?

Sat May 14, 2011 1:45 am

From your experience, which hotel brand do you think is the best and worst from the list (you could also add into it) As long as its a major hotel chain. Most of the listed hotels are the hotels you find near the interstate, in the middle of nowhere and etc.

Best Western
Super 8
Comfort Inn
Days Inn
Hampton Inn Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel
Holiday Inn
Hyatt
Hyatt Place
Hyatt Regency
Quality
Radisson
Ramada
Econo Lodge
Travelodge
Motel 6
Courtyard
Fairfield Inn
Marriott
Residence Inn
Hampton Inn
Howard Johnson
Crossland Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites
Omni
Americas Best Value Inn

From my experience, having experienced so many bus tours and road trips across the country, I've tried nearly all of these hotel franchises. Most of them are not by choice as they are part of our package tour. IMO, Courtyard by Marriott, Marriott or anything by Marriott is the best. As well as Hyatt (Place and Regency) though they tend to be much more expensive, not by a lot though. My worse experience was in Cerritos, Califorina (or somewhere near there) We had no choice but to stay at a Motel 6 for 5 Days because it was the only lodging near our friend's house who toured us around LA. It was just awful (not that I expected a lot) , the bed was hard as a rock and the linens weren't properly cleaned which gave me some itches and rashes. And oh, the toilet, don't get me started. On the last day, it overflew when I flushed it!   

The rest (Quality Inn, Hamptons, Fairfield, Best Western are all mediocre. Somehow they all look the same to me.)

I was so glad to leave that hotel and head to SFO where we stayed at a glamorous boutique hotel, great city too.

Are you a fan of these hotel brands? Do you specifically choose a hotel to get some miles, you have no choice or by preference? Personally, if we go to a specific destination and plan to see as many tourist spots as possible, we choose a mediocre hotel (whether boutique, branded, etc) because we're only going to use the hotel for sleeping and not relaxing. However, when we plan to relax on a tropical destination, we usually choose an all-inclusive because nothing beats unlimited food!  Also, if we're on a bus tour, we have no choice, they don't even tell you what hotel you're staying at until the bus pulls over and you realized it's another typical Holiday Inn or Quality Inn. Though I really like the experience, getting to know different people from different ethnic backgrounds, the fully guided and educational tour, etc.

I'm looking forward to your own opinions!

It's a cultural thing.

prosa

RE: Best And Worst Hotel Brand?

Sat May 14, 2011 1:54 am

I've stayed in a number of Days Inns and have found that they differ greatly from one to another. In other words, there's not much chain-wide consistency. My suspicion is that the same is true for at least some other chains.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

aa61hvy

Sat May 14, 2011 1:58 am

Quoting JetBlue777 (Thread starter):

Econo Lodge

Stayed in an Econo Lodge one night years back in Austin. Not the most pleasant experience. That would be my lowest rated.
Go big or go home

Fly2HMO

Sat May 14, 2011 2:06 am

Courtyard by Marriott, Marriott or anything by Marriott is the best. As well as Hyatt (Place and Regency) though they tend to be much more expensive, not by a lot though.

I try to stay at a Courtyard as much as possible, though they can be pricey. But I've never been disappointed. Always clean and well kept, even on their older hotels. About my only complaint is that they can be noisy, I don't appreciate waking up in the middle of the night every time the dude upstairs takes a dump, or the whore next door is banging her head against the headboard, but then again what hotel doesn't have this problem? Overall, I've never had a truly bad experience with any Marriott brand. They tend to be very consistent in their quality.

Oh yeah, the Hyatts, another favorite. I think I've only been to one once as an adult (I know I did many times as a kid but can't remember really) anyways, I requested a quiet room, and holy cow, was it quiet. The most serene hotel room ever. Although I wonder what the neighbors thought about the noise since my whole weekend there I was very busy loosing my virginity 

Of the cheaper ones, I try to go for Best Western. They do the job ok. I only save them for "passing by trips" specially on long road trips.

[Edited 2011-05-13 19:13:17]

comorin

Sat May 14, 2011 2:24 am

Most hotel chains are franchises so standards can vary quite a bit. At the very top end, you still see some wholly owned hotels like the Four Seasons.

FYI, the Marriott family includes:

Ritz Carlton
Renaissance
Fairfield Inn and so on.

Wyndham owns:

Days Inn
Ramada
Travelodge
Howard Johnson

About all they mostly have in common is a reservation system, and a branded look.

FingerLakerAv8r

Sat May 14, 2011 2:33 am

Best:
Hilton
Hampton Inn
Courtyard by Marriott

Worst:
Days Inn
Super 8
La Quinta (In their defense I have not stayed there in 10 years and they have updated a lot of their properties)

Honorable Mention:

Fairmont Properties (Stayed at the The Chateau Du Frontenac in YQB... HIGHLY recommended)

Never had even a mediocre stay at my top three but let me tell ya about Days Inn. Stayed at two of their hotels in SAV and BUF and saw more insects than a episode of Wild Kingdom. And Georgia cockroaches.... They don't die after on whack of a shoe, it takes at least three hits lol.

sulley

Sat May 14, 2011 2:37 am

Best? Westin, Sheraton.
In thrust we trust!

YVRLTN

Sat May 14, 2011 2:43 am

Hilton. Homewood Suites by Hilton are nice too.

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 5):
Fairmont Properties

Oh yeah...  Pricey though. Fortunately, my company has a corporate membership with them  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

DiamondFlyer

Sat May 14, 2011 2:49 am

La Quinta (In their defense I have not stayed there in 10 years and they have updated a lot of their properties)

La Quinta's aren't bad, for the most part. I've found they widely vary in the quality of hotel. It really depends on where you are, and how old the hotel is.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

Braniff747SP

Sat May 14, 2011 2:57 am

Hyatt
Hyatt
Hyatt Place
Hyatt Regency
Marriott, Marriott or anything by Marriott is the best. As well as Hyatt (Place and Regency) though they tend to be

No question. These are considered to be very good hotel chains, often competing with other, major, (i.e., Hilton-like) hotel chains. My favorite of the "roadside"/"Affordable" chains is Hilton Garden Inn: always enjoyed my expriances there.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Okie

Sat May 14, 2011 2:59 am

Plan A: open the door the bathroom is on the left
Plan B: open the door the bathroom is on the right
Plan C: open the door the bathroom is in the back of the room. You have stepped back in time. Your chances are only as good as the owner of the hotel/motel management style irregardless of what brand it is affiliated. This means that the front window is next to the bed which is next to the freeway.

The newer Hampton's, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suites are more to my liking and usually on the side street near the main thoroughfare (property is cheaper).
For whatever reason I prefer the Holiday Inn Express in that class of hotel although their is not much difference.
The only downside I have found with the Hampton's is that they have absolutely the slowest elevators on the planet.

I have never had a bad stay at Marriott or Hilton but my travels in the last few years do not put me near major population centers often so I get to stay in the mid price range hotels most of the time.

Okie

BestWestern

Sat May 14, 2011 3:02 am

Best Western are all mediocre

Thanks for the compliment.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 3):
I try to go for Best Western.

What Happens if you are not my type?  

I'm a big fan of Intercontinental hotels group, and am a top tier loyalty card holder (Platinum Royal Ambassador). They have a super loyalty scheme with some great offers at only 5,000 points a night - (To put this into perspective - I'm currently in an Intercontinental hotel, and for this one night €95 stay I'll get a minimum of 9k points, which is good for nearly two nights free later in the year)

nothing beats unlimited food!

Good food and a nice bottle of wine beats unlimited food.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

jetblue777
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2011 3:10 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 11):
Good food and a nice bottle of wine beats unlimited food

I'm not very pick when it comes to food, food is food, the more the better  
Quoting bestwestern (Reply 11):
Thanks for the compliment.

My pleasure, also a side not, the very first hotel I stayed here in the US is Best Western. No complaints about Best Western at all. Never had a problem with the service in all of the hotel chains, not even Motel 6! 
It's a cultural thing.

TSS

Sat May 14, 2011 4:27 am

And Georgia cockroaches.... They don't die after one whack of a shoe, it takes at least three hits lol.

Be glad that Georgia cockroach (technically, if you were in SAV it was a "palmetto bug". They are everywhere there and trying to fully eradicate them is a fool's errand. The best you can hope to do is reach an uneasy truce with them) didn't snatch the shoe out of your hand and start whacking you back!

Back to the topic at hand:
I've had consistently good experiences at Circus Circus Reno, an MGM/Mirage property. I think it's worth noting that CCR is noticeably cleaner and much better maintained now that it's owned by MGM/Mirage than it was when it was a Mandalay Bay property.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

usflyer msp

Sat May 14, 2011 6:22 am

I find that Ramada is consistently the worst hotel chain within the US (they actually pretty nice outside of the US/Canada). I have never seen a nice Ramada anywhere in the country...it seems that the hotels that are kicked out of other chains for not being up to standard end up as a Ramada.

aa61hvy

Sat May 14, 2011 6:53 am

Fairmont Properties

I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid in January it was pretty nice. Rooms were pretty big.

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 8):
La Quinta's aren't bad, for the most part. I've found they widely vary in the quality of hotel. It really depends on where you are, and how old the hotel is.

I stayed at a La Quinta in Little Rock, AR. It was surprisingly not bad. Comparable to a Courtyard.
Go big or go home

LAXintl

Sat May 14, 2011 7:23 am

Best in my opinion of broadly available brands are the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons.

You can always find jewel properties amongst other brands however for me the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons virtually always some of the best properties in any major city.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ipodguy7

Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 am

My Favorites:
Ritz-Carlton (Atlanta, Buckhead, Dallas, Grand Cayman, San Francisco)
Fairmont (Dallas, Monaco, Lake Louise, Quebec)
Four Seasons (Miami, Washington D.C.)
Peninsula (Chicago)
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

UAL747

Sat May 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Best for Me:

Four Seasons
Ritz-Carlton
Jumeirah Group
Shangri-La Hotels

Worst:
Motel 6

Best on Your List:
Hyatt

Worst on Your List:
Motel 6

Having said all of that, what is a good hotel will vary vastly from person to person. With the above "best" hotels that I listed, I know exactly what I'm getting. For the worst I've listed, I pretty much figure what I'm getting. I prefer a hotel with a TON of ammenities, great room service, and great personal service and attention. When I travel for pleasure, I often stay in the hotel quite a bit utilizing its services. Many people would rather venture out and not use said services, thus wanting something cheaper, and perhaps more walk-in, walk-out. So what's best for me, is not exactly best for everyone. However, I think you'll find the ones I listed pretty much on the top of the charts. The Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons are a lot more predictable though.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

UltimateDelta

Sat May 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Probably one of the nicest ones I've stayed in was a Hyatt Place. It was comfortable and easy to del with, though the breakfast was a little disappointing. Another one which wasn't bad was the Best Western in Hill City, SD (I haven't stayed in any others), but I can't say I've stayed in any really bad places, though (scratch that- the Quality Inn at MCI wasn't such a great place...old bathroom with a shower that basically dripped rather than sprayed, plus the room heat didn't work).
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

STT757

Sat May 14, 2011 6:10 pm

My preferred hotel used to be Marriott, which is still good but now usually my second choice. My preferred hotel is Westin, they just seem to be a little step above the usual Marriott but with similar rates. For value I like Courtyard by Marriott, I've stayed at some real nice Courtyards in good locations like the Courtyard on Lake Union in Seattle and Downtown Montreal. Hyatt would be another preferred choice, love the Hyatt Grand Cypress in Orlando.

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 2):
Stayed in an Econo Lodge one night years back in Austin. Not the most pleasant experience. That would be my lowest rated.

Yeah Econo lodge would be at the bottom of my list of places I've stayed.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

KingFriday013

Sat May 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Having been on a 34-day road trip in 2009 covering almost 30 cities, as well as just having stayed at many hotels when traveling when I was younger, I have stayed at most of the hotels and motels you originally listed. It's really tough to choose favorites and least-favorites because they all vary so much. For instance, two of my favorite hotels in the USA are the Holiday Inns in El Paso and Scranton, but two of my least favorite are the Holiday Inns in San Francisco (near the airport) and New Orleans. With big-name hotels (i.e. Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton, etc. -- but specifically their "mainline" chains), you usually can't go wrong, but don't expect free parking or Wi-Fi. Below then, it's really up to the franchisee to make it nice.

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 18):

Worst:
Motel 6
Worst on Your List:
Motel 6

Oooooh I disagree! At Motel 6 you get what you pay for. Which you know from the start isn't much. However, they're clean, comfortable, and safe for a night or two on the road. And when you book, you know wi-fi is guaranteed as being included if you book a room with Wi-Fi (as it's $3 more iirc). I'd take one of these over a non-chain podunk motel on the side of the road or even an America's Best Value Inn (I'm too scared to stay at one of those!). You know Motel 6 will always leave the light on for you! 

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Pyrex

Sat May 14, 2011 7:01 pm

If I am paying, have had good experiences in Hampton Inns and Courtyard by Marriott. In Europe, I found Ibis (from the Accor group) to be a very reliable chain - cheap but has anything you need on vacation if you are not demanding (I am not),

If the company is paying, I would say Ritz Carlton (consistently great, although have only stayed at the ones in Santiago, Chile and the Atlanta Buckhead one) or Intercontinental. Apparently Mandarin Oriental is also in our corporate program, I need to see if I find a way to stay there one night.

Fairmont Properties (Stayed at the The Chateau Du Frontenac in YQB... HIGHLY recommended)

I have heard great things about that property in specific (in Quebec) but overall I am not a big fan of Fairmont hotels. It might just be because both times I stayed in one (in Newport Beach and Seattle) I never actually left the hotel (get in late at night, have meetings at the conference rooms the whole day the next day, starting very early in the AM and then fly back in the afternoon / on the red-eye), though.

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 17):
Fairmont (Dallas

If you are staying in Dallas and the company is paying for you you have to stay at the Rosewood Mansion, there is no other way around it.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

sw733

Sat May 14, 2011 7:05 pm

It really IS like airlines...someone who likes one will hate another, and vice versa. I am a loyal Hilton person, with Diamond status. But, I really do enjoy Starwood properties too, followed by Marriott.

portcolumbus

Sun May 15, 2011 10:54 am

Worst:

Motel 6
Knights Inn (are there ANY nice ones?)

CPDC10-30

Sun May 15, 2011 12:06 pm

I have to say that Marriotts are usually nice. But what I hate about them is that nothing is inclusive (i.e. bottled water, internet), and their charges for these types of things are truly extortionate. I mean come on - I am paying €200 per night for a room - and then Internet access is €30 extra per day? Ridiculous. Even if I am travelling on the company dime I will avoid these as I feel they are a waste of money.

In the UK we are quite luckly to have a proliferation of relativley good quality budget hotels. These include the Premier Inn, Ramada Encore and Holiday Inn Express. When travelling on business or pleasure within the UK I usually pick these as they are great value and consistently good quality - and cost around £30-60 per night depending on the date/promotion.

par13del

Sun May 15, 2011 1:16 pm

I have found some chains in the US based on what on is doing, Ramada usually by interstates for truckers and folks travelling, they offer usually clean rooms with not much frills, usually the last to go smoke free.

Courtyard and Howard Johnson's were more in city center catering to business travellers, HOJO usually had free internet first and buffet style breakfast, now that's pretty much changed.

Other than high end hotels I have to agree with the Courtyard being the best now, their locations however do not usually suit my travelling habits in the US which is close to the interstate for my driving needs.
Plug for Holiday Inn and Express, usually they are not too bad.

September11

Sun May 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Myself a member of Marriott Rewards

Marriott is great
Excellent company
Airliners.net of the Future

AustrianZRH

Sun May 15, 2011 4:44 pm

To add another brand, Starwood hotels, e.g. Sheratons and Ws, are usually very nice. Although the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf in SFO was somewhat of a letdown, could also have been a Holiday Inn Express or Best Western, only 80$ more expensive per night.

BW and HIE are my usual choices, as they are usually less pricey than Sheraton or Hilton but still offer decent accomodations.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

Pyrex

Sun May 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 28):
Sheratons and Ws, are usually very nice. Although the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf in SFO was somewhat of a letdown

I have found that in Europe (or Portugal, at least) Sheraton tends to be very high in the list, probably the best chain business hotels / resorts, whereas in the U.S. they do not have that positioning, and I have been to / seen some pretty awful Sheraton hotels (the Boston area is literally crawling with those). Don't know why that is.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

deltairlines

Sun May 15, 2011 4:59 pm

I find my service as a Hyatt Diamond to be far better than what I have experienced as a Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum or Marriott Gold (granted, Marriott Gold is mid-tier in that program).

To me, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the hard product between a full-service Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt/Westin/Sheraton (depending on how it's branded). Same with a Four Points/Courtyard/Hyatt Place/HGI and Fairfield/Hampton etc.

Where the difference to me is in the soft product as a Diamond. At Hyatt, I am guaranteed a breakfast - either in the club, or if no club, a free breakfast in the hotel restaurant - this is something that others don't all offer. I honestly enjoy staying at hotels without clubs, as it means I might be able to get a $40 breakfast for free, which is a very nice perk.

Suite upgrades are another. I can confirm in advance a suite upgrade - some might argue SPG is better for Plats in that they will give them the best room in the hotel, but sometimes those suites aren't available - it's a crapshoot. Even though I often get a suite at a Hyatt, it's nice having the peace of mind that I can confirm one in advance.

Hyatt points are also pretty generous - I'd still say for most mid-tier properties SPG is better, but Hyatt is quite nice when it comes to top-end, where redemption options don't get astronomical as they do at SPG.

MadameConcorde

Sun May 15, 2011 5:03 pm

I have stayed in three different hotels here while waiting all this time for Space Shuttle Endeavour's launch after the scrub on the 29th April.

Some using hotel points and some paid, all are nearby MCO airport.

Crowne Plaza was decent. Embassy Suites was a bit of a disappointment.

The best one of the three - without any discussion - is the Country Inn and Suites.
This particular hotel here is very nice. The staff are quite nice. The room they gave me is really nice.
I think I must have the best room in the house with the best view which is nice as this is a fairly long stay.
I would recommend this hotel for any one who comes to stay here at MCO.
Even better it can be booked via Hotwire.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

nitrohelper

Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 18):
Best for Me:
Four Seasons -- Ritz-Carlton --- Shangri-La Hotels

These would also be my selections , I stayed at a Shangri-La every week for several years ,never had bad food or service.

WestJetForLife

Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 am

Personally, having done enough ventures around the globe, I'd have to say Hyatt is my favorite chain.

Haven't had any problem with them since I got my Hyatt Passport in 2008 after staying at the Regency for a weekend after Mom kicked me out of the house. Since then, if the city I'm going to has a Hyatt and it's not booked, I stay at Hyatt.

It's especially convenient if I'm flying AA through DFW because I can stay at the Grand Hyatt attached to Terminal 'D' without issue. Love, love, LOVE that hotel. Hyatt Miami is a close second.

Nik
I need a drink.

texan

Wed May 18, 2011 8:27 am

There really is a variety within the chains themselves. For instance, some Holiday Inns I just don't like: the one by DAL for example. On the other hand, the one in Destin, Florida is very nice, with a balcony that opened to the Gulf of Mexico for only $49/night.

I am a big fan of Omni but I don't get to stay in them often. I've stayed at the one in Las Colinas once and the Omni Mont-Royal about 5 times. It is just where I stay when I go to Montreal.

Also a big fan of Hyatt Regency, Westin, Sheraton, Marriott, etc. But if I'm traveling by myself to anyplace that isn't a conference, I'll just choose someplace that is cheap and reliable, since usually I'm just using it as a place to crash for 6-8 hours before packing up and heading out again.

If I'm driving across the country alone I generally stay in a Best Western. They are consistent, not expensive, and everywhere. I avoid Motel 6 like the plague -- only stayed in one, in Pearl, Mississippi, and I won't give any others a shot.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

BO__einG

Thu May 19, 2011 6:50 am

For me the best is the Marriott or Renaissance.
Marriott is split into several brands.
Ritz-Carlton
JW Marriott - most expensive hotel I stayed at
Renaissance - best of the 4 star brands
Marriott Hotel
Marriott Vacation Club
Courtyard - best of the 3-4 star for prices
Residence In
Fairfield In
Townplace Suites

And a few one off properties they own in Hawaii and Vegas like the Cosmopolitan which I really have to check out.

I have heard Hyatt, Westin and Fairmont properties are great.
Motels I liked were Days In and worst is White Knight Motel and that piece of shit no name brand at Sea Tac where I slept in presence of centipedes, spiders and roaches and I should of just slept in my car instead. Never again!!
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

United Airline

Thu May 19, 2011 7:57 am

I love Hyatt especially Grand Hyatt Hong Kong