Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

propilot83
Topic Author

President Obama Plans Trip To Europe

Fri May 20, 2011 7:44 am

President Obama will travel to Europe for the eight time during his current presidency, is this the first G-8 summit of the year that will be held in Europe? He still has Australia to visit, which he has not visited yet during his presidency thus far, he was going to travel there last year, but the Health Care bill and the oil spill screwed everything up. If he does travel to Australia this summer, it will be winter down there in the Southern Hemisphere. Well check out the post for further details. I hope he has a safe and sound trip to Europe and back, doesn't seem very exciting, since he's traveled there before, I believe that the Australia trip will be more exciting, we'll be waiting.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...2011-05-19-obama-trip-europe_n.htm

dxing

RE: President Obama Plans Trip To Europe

Fri May 20, 2011 3:05 pm

What award is he picking up this time? Or is it just another campaign stop, he's been on a real tear the past few weeks. I've got to wonder how the "carbon" foot print of this supposdedly "green" President stacks up against his predecessors?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Aeri28

Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 pm

State visit to the United Kingdom is one , also visiting Ireland.

Don't even bring up "the ranch" Crawford Texas....  Big grin

[Edited 2011-05-20 14:36:48]

aloges

Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Phew, we get spared this time. No welded manhole covers and ordinary citizens under house arrest in Germany!   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

DocLightning

Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 1):
Or is it just another campaign stop,

Doesn't make much sense to campaign in Europe, does it?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Mon May 23, 2011 4:12 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 1):
What award is he picking up this time?

LOL!   

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):

Nope, but he does it anyway.

What exactly is the purpose of this trip?
Will his trip lead to business-trade that would benefit American people and create jobs in America?
With all of his trips to Europe, I wish he had learned more about the French health-care system because it seems as though they have one of the best and most efficient health-care systems in the world.
Will Obama visit the many nuclear power plants throughout Europe? Perhaps he can learn about their very efficient and safe nuclear power grid.
Bring back the Concorde

Brick

Mon May 23, 2011 5:02 am

I surprised Obama has the time with his busy golf schedule to go to Europe.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Superfly

Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 am

Will he get an award at Eurovison?
Bring back the Concorde

Speedbird741

Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 am

Why would it not make sense? In hindsight, his popularity around the world was a key factor in 2008.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
Will he get an award at Eurovison?

Hehehe, that I would love to see!

Speedbird741
Boa noite Faro, Air Portugal 257 climbing flight level 340

Superfly

Mon May 23, 2011 10:33 am

Quoting Speedbird741 (Reply 8):
Why would it not make sense? In hindsight, his popularity around the world was a key factor in 2008.

That didn't have an impact. John Kerry was very popular in Europe as well back in 2004 but that didn't help him win on election day.

Quoting Speedbird741 (Reply 8):
Hehehe, that I would love to see!

Well he already won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Didn't Obama win an Oscar, Cannes award or a Grammy?
He's gone on more tours of Europe over the last 3 years than AC/DC.
Bring back the Concorde

Speedbird741

Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
John Kerry was very popular in Europe as well back in 2004

I don´t believe Kerry was nearly as popular in Europe in 2004 as Obama is today (or was at his peak).

that didn't help him win on election day.

Surely it will not win him an election. However, in 2008 for example, a good portion of citizens voted while bearing in mind their country's (be it due or undue) poor reputation in certain parts of the world, such as Europe. Would it be fair to assume that 2 years are enough for that factor to clear out?

Haha, nice one for me to spread around.

Speedbird741

racko

Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 am

Quoting Speedbird741 (Reply 10):
I don´t believe Kerry was nearly as popular in Europe in 2004 as Obama is today (or was at his peak).

A rusty chair would have been more popular than Bush in 2004.

bj87

Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 am

Unlike the previous idiot I think he is quite welcome. He is smart, aware of the fact that America is not the only country in the world, he can read, understands a joke, he's diplomatic, he's pretty much the complete opposite of George W. Bush. The foreign trips are great for US - European relationships. Which after the last ten years can use a bit of polishing up.

Quoting dxing (Reply 1):
I've got to wonder how the "carbon" foot print of this supposdedly "green" President stacks up against his predecessors?

Well, not taking over any countries that supposedly have weapons of mass destruction and coincidentally have tons of oil tends to help! Wars tend to be very bad for the environment.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
With all of his trips to Europe, I wish he had learned more about the French health-care system because it seems as though they have one of the best and most efficient health-care systems in the world.

Yes, the French health care system is a great example. However he will never be able to implement it in the US. Why? Simple: party politics. The Democrats tried to introduce affordable health care for everyone. However the Republicans did just about everything in their power to block it or change it in a way that corporations still make billions. And then there were the "I don't want social health care because that is for communist and I want to choose my own doctor" idiots.
Unfortunately health care will remain very expensive in the US and very user unfriendly. Sadly I got to experience the system once while throwing up in the ER I got angry, frustrated and sicker while they were trying to figure out if they would get paid really made me VERY angry and thankful that in other countries the first question asked is where does it hurt and not how do you intend to float the bill? And yes I did have US insurance! In the end the Dutch embassy was called and the hospital staff got their ass in gear and did everything short of a pregnancy test.

That didn't have an impact. John Kerry was very popular in Europe as well back in 2004 but that didn't help him win on election day.

True, there is more to that story though. 1. He wasn't very clear on anything. Monday it was yes Tuesday it was no and on Wednesday it was a maybe man. 2. The US citizens got the shit scared out of them by the Bush administration with the terrorist color code. In the mean time Bush kept on screaming "I am a wartime president and I will protect this country" Like Kerry wouldn't have!!! Anyway most Americans bought it and that time around actually elected him by popular vote. (it still boggles me that that idiot got re-elected)

True but after the Bush era there was some serious damage control to do. in 2008 most European countries had had enough of the US and of Bush. And like it or not, the US does need European allies. Especially as China gets more powerful and might one day ask their money back.

scbriml

Mon May 23, 2011 11:48 am

John Kerry was very popular in Europe as well back in 2004

"Popular" is the wrong word. He was probably "supported" by many simply by virtue of being opposed to Bush.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

windy95

Mon May 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
VERY angry and thankful that in other countries the first question asked is where does it hurt and not how do you intend to float the bill?

Imagine how angry these people might be if they where still alive

Quote:
Two patients died after waiting in ambulance outside 'full' Oldham hospital unit
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...-outside-full-oldham-hospital-unit

Bongodog1964

Mon May 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 1):
Or is it just another campaign stop,

He's just following the well trodden path of all his predecesssors back to Reagan and probably beyond. Today he visited a small Irish village in order to discover his roots. Obligatory pint of Guiness and a few million Irish American votes in the bag.
if the NORAID collecting tins were still around, he could have gained a few more   

MD11Bob

Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Mortyman

Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Quoting MD11Bob (Reply 16):
Stuck in Ireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo5zH...share

bullet proof, bomb proof, no doubt nuc proof, but not bump proof .... I'm laughing my ass off  

Superfly

Tue May 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 11):
A rusty chair would have been more popular than Bush in 2004.

True and I would have voted for the rusty chair.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
However he will never be able to implement it in the US. Why? Simple: party politics. The Democrats tried to introduce affo....

Wrong.
If that were the case, the French style system would have been proposed. The system passed by Obama and Congress is 2000 pages laced with penalties and I doubt the French system has exemptions for elected leaders and their allies.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
(it still boggles me that that idiot got re-elected)

It boggles me too.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
True but after the Bush era there was some serious damage control to do.

Not really. Obviously they are two different people cut from a different cloth.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
most European countries had had enough of the US and of Bush.

Sounds like a problem Europeans had long before Bush.
Yes just about everyone hated Bush by 2008 but the US as a whole?
Can you explain that one?

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
And like it or not, the US does need European allies.

Just as Europe needs the US to fight your wars and solve your disputes.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
Especially as China gets more powerful and might one day ask their money back.

What's Obama gonna do then when they want more than a steak dinner?
Bring back the Concorde

bj87

Tue May 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 14):
Imagine how angry these people might be if they where still alive

That's really sad.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 17):
bullet proof, bomb proof, no doubt nuc proof, but not bump proof .... I'm laughing my ass off

I always thought they did a test drive of the route with the car in order to prevent problems like this. I guess they don't.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
True but after the Bush era there was some serious damage control to do.

Not really. Obviously they are two different people cut from a different cloth.

Here is one case where damage control was required and yes they are two complete opposites: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,579707,00.html

Sounds like a problem Europeans had long before Bush.
Yes just about everyone hated Bush by 2008 but the US as a whole?
Can you explain that one?

I have said this in the comment that got deleted so I will say it again. There is a massive difference between bashing/hating/disliking a political system, idea or ideal and hating an entire country. Obviously this has to do with politics and nothing with the American people and the normal American way of life. It is the same as the US saying they have had enough of Venezuela. That does not mean that Americans hate/dislike Venezuelan people. The people from Venezuela can be very nice but the political system and its current leader are the problem.

I am not even going to respond to that one.

Wrong.
If that were the case, the French style system would have been proposed.

Just to be clear you are saying I am wrong because if it could be done then he would have or are you saying he didn't want to and came up with this 2000 page bill instead?

The system passed by Obama and Congress is 2000 pages laced with penalties and I doubt the French system has exemptions for elected leaders and their allies.

Yes this 2000 page document laced with penalties etc was the net result after months of party politics and lobbying. The system Obama wanted to introduce was affordable health care that still requires payment. Can you imagine what would happen if he tried to introduce the French system. It would never make it through congress and the senate unscathed. Which was the point I was making.

Speedbird741

Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Quoting bj87 (Reply 12):
Especially as China gets more powerful and might one day ask their money back.

Don't assume the United States are getting the greater kick out of having China's money in their hands, bj87. The benefits are going both ways, and none will be swift to end the party.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):
I always thought they did a test drive of the route with the car in order to prevent problems like this. I guess they don't.

Somebody must have been denied a pint of Guiness after that!

Speedbird741

Superfly

Tue May 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):
Obviously this has to do with politics and nothing with the American people and the normal American way of life.

I dunno, how else is one to interpret a comment like; "most European countries had had enough of the US and of Bush.
Most would read that as everything encompassing "the US" which would include the people.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):
It is the same as the US saying they have had enough of Venezuela.

Who on earth is saying that? Many are angry at Huge Chavez but not the country of Venezuela. In fact a few years ago, a very vocal conservative member of this site that resides in the red state of Georgia was trying to organize an Airliners.net meet in Venezuela. That meet would have included a flight on a DC-3.
Many people including myself was in to it but it was cost prohibitive for many members.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):

Good call.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):
Just to be clear you are saying I am wrong because if it could be done then he would have or are you saying he didn't want to and came up with this 2000 page bill instead?

I support national health-care as well. Not the mess passed by Obama and Congress.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):
Can you imagine what would happen if he tried to introduce the French system. It would never make it through congress and the senate unscathed. Which was the point I was making.

It would have been a good starting point. The French system would have been more appealing because their lawmakers aren't exempt and there are no penalties/fine involved.
Bring back the Concorde

AGM100

Tue May 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Of course they Love Obama ... he will say anything to anyone anytime and it does not matter if it parallels anything he said the day ..the hour the minute before hand. This guy can change faces and hats so fast people just follow like lemmings ... its hilarious .! Getting back to his Irish roots ... OMG he is so shallow and week its pathetic   

Its not a big deal... its just playing to the Boston anti Romney ADD riddled democrats .
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Superfly

Tue May 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 22):
Getting back to his Irish roots ...

How come he didn't play that up in his 2008 campaign?
Obama owes a huge debt and gratitude to fmr. Chicago mayor Richard Daley and his machine.
Bring back the Concorde

bj87

Tue May 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):

I support national health-care as well. Not the mess passed by Obama and Congress.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):
Can you imagine what would happen if he tried to introduce the French system. It would never make it through congress and the senate unscathed. Which was the point I was making.

It would have been a good starting point. The French system would have been more appealing because their lawmakers aren't exempt and there are no penalties/fine involved.

Alright so we agree on that bit. Although I do believe Obama tried his best, the end result really isn't all that great.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):
It is the same as the US saying they have had enough of Venezuela.

Who on earth is saying that?

Bush but the who was not the point, nice re-direct though.   

Many are angry at Huge Chavez but not the country of Venezuela. In fact a few years ago, a very vocal conservative member of this site that resides in the red state of Georgia was trying to organize an Airliners.net meet in Venezuela.

This however was the point. I guess we are agreeing on the basics that a countries politics and its people/culture are two different things. In this thread I used generic phraseology to refer to Bush, his administration and American politics in general and not the American people and their culture. (Reason why see below)

I dunno, how else is one to interpret a comment like; "most European countries had had enough of the US and of Bush.
Most would read that as everything encompassing "the US" which would include the people.

While posting in a political thread I think most people understand that I don't mean Joe the plumber!

Quoting bj87 (Reply 19):

Good call.

Thank you! That is a topic that pisses me off so much it really is better to just leave it for what it is.

Dreadnought

Sat May 28, 2011 4:20 am

Of course they Love Obama ... he will say anything to anyone anytime and it does not matter if it parallels anything he said the day
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...us-president-is-clearly-no-reagan/

Lech Walesa refuses to meet with Obama. One of the great leaders of his generation, and ironically a Union Labor leader, has no use for him.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

shamrock604

Sat May 28, 2011 6:40 am

This guy can change faces and hats so fast people just follow like lemmings ... its hilarious .! Getting back to his Irish roots ... OMG he is so shallow and week its pathetic

It was'nt Obama that discovered those Irish roots - he didnt even know he had them. It was one of the inhabitants of the village he visited while here who checked through the geneology records who discovered it. They were then cross checked with records held in the US, and this confirmed that Obama's Great Great Great Grandfather came from that Village and emigrated to the US in 1850.

Needless to say, this small village was only too keen to put itself on the map by making the connection known....  

Superfly

Sat May 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Did any of you all catch Obama's fake Irish accent?
Then there was this gaffe where he kept talking through the British national anthem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOO_NQV3sPg
Bring back the Concorde

janmnastami

Sat May 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
Then there was this gaffe where he kept talking through the British national anthem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOO_N...V3sPg

He looked like an idiot. Absolutely embarassing.

L410Turbolet

Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):

I don't know, it seemed to me more like a screw up of the protocol people @ Buckingham Palace or wherever the event was held. Obama was the first to propose a toast when they started to play the anthem halfway through his speech... I don't think anthem is an essential part of a toast, is it?
That he's too self-centered to just shut up and follow suit is a different thing.

aloges

Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 29):
That he's too self-centered to just shut up and follow suit is a different thing.

...and if he had done that, we'd be reading how even a bunch of furreners with a couple of instruments confuse him.  
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Superfly

Mon May 30, 2011 2:43 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 29):
I don't know, it seemed to me more like a screw up of the protocol people @ Buckingham Palace or wherever the event was held. Obama was the first to propose a toast when they started to play the anthem halfway through his speech... I don't think anthem is an essential part of a toast, is it?

He probably thought it was a new theme song for him; 'Theme of Obama'.
I would expect President Obama's handlers to give him some heads up on protocol when visiting the Queen of England at Buckingham Palace.
Let's not forget those cheap bargain-bin discounted DVDs President Obama gave to Gordon Brown as a show of appreciation to our nation's closest and most loyal ally.

Quoting janmnastami (Reply 28):
He looked like an idiot. Absolutely embarassing.

That was really, really bad and yet the mainstream press says nothing about it. Had it been any other US President, the press would have pounced on him.
Bring back the Concorde

futurepilot16

Mon May 30, 2011 2:54 am

Quoting propilot83 (Thread starter):
He still has Australia to visit

Considering the incredible Anti-American sentiment coming from Australia on these forums, I wouldn't expect he would wanna visit there anytime soon.

It must be the Sarah Palin disease, apparently, right wingers don't know much about Geography.

Just to let dxing know, Europe is on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean!
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."