Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcs17

RE: The 2011 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread - Pt2

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:10 am

I'm really rooting for Boston, as much as I hate it. I'm an Islanders and Yankees fan, which should naturally put me in the Hongcouver corner, but I've developed a visceral hatred towards the Canucks. First of all, they allowed the Rangers to win the Cup in 1994. Secondly, I can't stand their fans... Yes, the green men were funny the first few times I saw them, now it's just a joke. Canucks fans and media (who are second in obnoxiousness to Toronto) feel they are entitled to the Cup this season. It's hilarious, every time the Islanders play the Canucks, the Vancouver media writes a bunch of articles about what a piece of shit the Islanders are -- and every time the Islanders pound the crap out of Vancouver. Also, I think it would be quite funny if Mike Milbury was vindicated for trading Roberto LOLuongo (or Roberto "Red Light" Luongo). I hate Mike Milbury with a passion, but I think it would be hilarious if his "lack of mental fortitude" quote when trading him to the Panthers bore out.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 am

Toss a coin, it could go either way.

Quoting Mir (Reply 44):
It's fascinating how different the games have been based on location. And equally inexplicable

Logic says a team beaten 17-3 on aggregate away should not be lifting the cup. And even as a Canucks fan, I feel that a team that got whipped so badly can hardly be worthy to do so. But, Chicago series aside maybe, all season and all through the playoffs, I feel their play and attitude does indeed entitle them to the cup. Of course its easier to play in front of your own fans, but how is there such a disparity between a team that looses 17-3 on aggregate away, yet records two shut outs at home? I am no Luongo hater, but plenty of this question can be parked on his doorstep. None of the three goals he let in on Monday should ever have been goals, regardless of the play leading up to them. And theres your difference - Thomas is not making those mistakes. I pointed to Thomas being leaky in the Tampa series - it is possible to score past him, we need to figure out how very quickly.

As an aside, Mason Raymond is out for 4-6 months with a broken vertebrae. No penalty during the game. No review. No suspensions. The whole idea of the Rome suspension was due to the seriousness of the injury. So theres Horton grinning from ear to ear on Monday stoking up the fans, while there were doubts Raymond would walk again at first. The injury is just as serious. I am trying not to subscribe to the whole Bettman bashing and the NHL is out to make sure Boston win school, but the inconsistency in applying the rules, or making them up as they go along and the officating is astounding. When the Canucks play a more physical game they win, but in Boston at least they seemed scared of their own shadows and afraid to get called on something. That being said, I acknowledge both teams are probably six of one half a dozen of the other on diving, embelishing, fouling, mouthing, handbagging, yip yapping and general douchebaggery, but they either call it all for both teams, or not at all. You cant be selective.

Quoting Airport (Reply 48):
I'm just casually following the playoffs, is it just me or is there a blatant media bias favoring Boston?

I think Boston have just managed to get away with all of the above a lot better because of their fancy scorelines in front of their own media & fans and heroics from Thomas throughout, they came in as the underdog and they are far easier to be the media darling.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

TheCol

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:01 am

Quoting Airport (Reply 48):
I'm just casually following the playoffs, is it just me or is there a blatant media bias favoring Boston?

It's clear that both the Canadian and American media is playing the Canada vs. America card. This is why I'm kind of turned off about the whole thing. Thanks to the media and Bettman, it's not about hockey anymore.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 51):
As an aside, Mason Raymond is out for 4-6 months with a broken vertebrae. No penalty during the game. No review. No suspensions. The whole idea of the Rome suspension was due to the seriousness of the injury. So theres Horton grinning from ear to ear on Monday stoking up the fans, while there were doubts Raymond would walk again at first. The injury is just as serious. I am trying not to subscribe to the whole Bettman bashing and the NHL is out to make sure Boston win school, but the inconsistency in applying the rules, or making them up as they go along and the officating is astounding.

This isn't the game I grew up with. The whole series has been all about cheap-shots, blind-hits, and low-blows for both teams. I have no doubt that the hit on Mason Raymond was intentional. It was just as bad as when Bertuzzi screwed over Steve Moore. If the league doesn't start treating this BS from NHL players seriously, then I don't think I can take this game seriously anymore.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

BOStonsox

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:29 am

Oh so close for the Bruins...
2013 World Series Champions!

BOStonsox

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 am

BRUINS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2013 World Series Champions!

mbmbos

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:56 am

Woooo-hoooooo! The Stanley Cup comes home to Boston!
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Airport

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:04 am

Quoting TheCol (Reply 52):
It's clear that both the Canadian and American media is playing the Canada vs. America card. This is why I'm kind of turned off about the whole thing. Thanks to the media and Bettman, it's not about hockey anymore.
Quoting TheCol (Reply 52):
This isn't the game I grew up with. The whole series has been all about cheap-shots, blind-hits, and low-blows for both teams. I have no doubt that the hit on Mason Raymond was intentional. It was just as bad as when Bertuzzi screwed over Steve Moore. If the league doesn't start treating this BS from NHL players seriously, then I don't think I can take this game seriously anymore.

Yeah, I hear exactly what you mean, which is a shame, I was really getting into it until this series. Both teams just weren't able to control their emotions, and the media has turned it into such a phony "good vs. bad" which wouldn't shock me if that played a big part in the overly-emotional play. That and both teams haven't won a Stanley Cup in so long (or not at all for Vancouver) also played a role I'm sure.

But yeah, I thought there was heavy heavy bias in the reporting, and even in the officiating too. Too bad, I was getting into it for a little bit there. What a heartbreak for Vancouver.

Mir

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:38 am

Boston played better the whole series, and they deserved to win (especially Tim Thomas). I'm happy for the players, but seeing a Boston team win a championship really sucks.

Hope the Devils can hoist the cup next year.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KeKeKumba

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:34 am

I've noticed very little of the Canada vs USA stuff in the media here. Just the same old "Canada hasn't won a cup in ___ years". Same as every other year.

This whole rioting garbage is seirously embarrassing for those of us not in Vancouver.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:54 am

Quoting KeKeKumba (Reply 58):
This whole rioting garbage is seirously embarrassing for those of us not in Vancouver.

It's damned embarrassing, and I'm sure that 99.9% of the people are Vancouver are embarrassed even more so than the rest of us Canadians.
But that was when I ruled the world

Revelation

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:30 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 57):
Boston played better the whole series, and they deserved to win (especially Tim Thomas).

I think Boston's play as a team improved as the series went on, and I think Vancouver's declined.

In the games in Boston, the Bruins were the more physical team.

In last night's game I didn't see the same physicality from the Bruins early and felt it would be a struggle.

And I felt whoever scored the first goal would have a huge advantage.

Once Boston got the first, it seems they smelt blood and their play intensified, whereas YVR's did not.

It also seems the YVR fans got too quiet after the first goal.

Personally, I don't get the intense booing as the Cup was being handed over to the Bruins.

I get the disappointment, but as soon as the game was over you knew what was coming next, so why not just leave instead of standing there and booing?

The players don't care about it, in fact the booing is a compliment to them.

Then of course I'm sure the disappointment plus a good amount of boozing led directly to the riots.

Plus there's always a few low-lifes around ready to cause trouble when the chance presents itself.

YVR was a very good team, great skaters, great passers, always a threat.

They don't have anything to be ashamed of, although I bet Luongo wishes he kept his mouth shut now.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Mir

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 60):
Personally, I don't get the intense booing as the Cup was being handed over to the Bruins.

I think they were booing Bettman. Which I have no problem with.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

c172akula

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Thank you Boston.

Signed,

Calgary Flames fans

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 am

Vancouver has been the best game in the NHL all season and all playoffs - until game 3 of the finals.

Im not sure what happened, bad teams do not go to game 7 of the palyoff final... Tim Thomas is a truly great sportsman and deserved all the praise he got.

There were plenty of true hockey fans who did stay and cheer Boston, particularly Thomas and local boy Lukic (many of my circle know his girlfriend).

Losing after such a spectacular season is a huge disasppointment, but there is zero excuse for pre-mediated thuggery.

This does NOT represent true hockey or Canucks fans, Vancouverites or Canadians. This was a disgrace and these ignoramuses need to be humilated. Unfortunately our justice system is probably incapable of doing that. Community service for life one out of jail would be a good start.

What a shame we have to talk about this at the end of a Stanley Cup thread which has been a thrilling ride.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

srbmod

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 63):
Vancouver has been the best game in the NHL all season and all playoffs - until game 3 of the finals.

I saw them here in Atlanta towards the end of the season, and they dominated the game after the first period. The Thrashers simply ran out of gas trying to keep up with them in the first period.

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 62):
Thank you Boston.

Signed,

Calgary Flames fans

Some photos a friend of mine who is a Calgary fan sent me:

One good thing about the playoffs being over is that all of the playoff beards will be gone. Some of the players look like bums with their playoff beards.....

airportugal310

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 64):
One good thing about the playoffs being over is that all of the playoff beards will be gone. Some of the players look like bums with their playoff beards.....

Not only them, but some of the people in my office. Yeeeeeesh
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”