georgiabill
Topic Author

Your Favorite Craft Beer?

Mon May 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Good morning all!

As an amature home brewer and a fan of regional micro or craft beers I was wondering your favorite brews were. Being from the northeast I do like the Sam Adams seasonal beers,especially the summer ale. But I have found a few smaller breweries in NH that make some very good beers. One being the Moat Mountain Brewing company of North Conway whose Pale Ale has become a personal favorite. Another NH company is Squam Brewing of Holderness NH. Their Asquam Amber Ale and Bobhouse Bitter are excellent brews.

From Ma a brewery from the berkshire region, Berkshire Brewery makes an ale that has a great taste Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale.

What are your favorite brews?

[Edited 2011-05-30 07:03:06]

fxramper

RE: Your Favorite Craft Beer?

Mon May 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Turbo Dog, Maizen (seasonal), and Maibock (seasonal) all from the Abita Brewing Company out of Abita Springs, Louisiana are delicious.   

http://www.abita.com/

canoecarrier

Mon May 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Well, in another thread I talked about the great taste of mass produced domestic beer, but since I have many favorite microbrews and am fortunate to live very close to some great little breweries here's my list of favs:

Maritime Pacific Brewing Company - Jolly Roger Christmas Ale
Hale's - Kölsch German Style Ale
Big Time Brewing Co - Slam Dunkel Weizenbock, Hopgoblin Pumpkin Ale, Coal Creek Porter

Those are the first that come to mind, although we make some good beer here, in general I think NW brewers overhopp the hell out of their beers. So much so I think many of the beers end up bitter.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

srbmod

Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 pm

That's like asking a parent to pick their favorite child......  

Of course I do try to drink mostly local craft brewers, and these are my usual go-to brews:

Sweetwater 420
Sweetwater IPA
Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Wild Heaven Invocation
Wild Heaven Ode To Mercy

Wild Heaven is a recent entry to the Atlanta craft brewing scene, having only been on the market since last September (Only in the last few weeks have they started selling it in bottles.), and has quickly become a popular brewery despite having only two beers in their portfolio. They're currently contracting the brewing out to Thomas Creek up in Greenville, SC (They've been the go-to contract brewer for a number of craft breweries for a number of years now.) and are in the process of building a brewery in the Atlanta area to open next Spring (they thought it would be several years before they'd need to do this, but the sudden popularity of their beers meant they needed to speed it up).

I also like to pick up some of the one-off brews from Sweetwater (Dank Tank) and Terrapin (Side Project). They have some very creative minds at their breweries, not only when it comes to the beers, but also the names.

I've also become a fan of Stone Brewing and Lagunitas Brewing as well, especially their really hoppy IPAs (Stone's IPA and Ruination IPA and Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid IPA.). Sierra Nevada does some nice ones as well.

Sam Adams I don't tend to buy as much as I used to. Their Latitude 48 IPA is alright, but there are much better beers out there in my opinion.

When I travel, I always make a point to have beers not available in my neck of the woods. I've got a trip to Las Vegas coming up and have already started to look at the beer list at some of the places I know I'll be eating at so I can try something new.

I don't know how many beers I've tried over the years, as I quit counting years ago, but I would easily say that I have tried somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 different beers in the last 16-17 years (even when I was underage, I was getting my of age friends to buy me "the good stuff").

[Edited 2011-05-30 07:31:35]

AF340

Mon May 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Big fan of the craft IPA's myself.

-Love the range of Dogfish Head IPA's (anywhere from 60min-120min)
-Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Imperial Pale Ale
-McAuslan's St. Ambroise Pale Ale and Oatmeal Stouts are both standards for me.
-Even Mill St. Brewery's Tankhouse Ale is a favourite.
-Also a fan of Southern Tier

My fridge is always stocked with a good selection of the above and a mix of Trappist Belgian ales and proper British real-ales.

Superfly

Mon May 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Marin County Brewing Company - my favorite being the San Quentin Breakout Stout. It's an Imperial Stout
Arrogant Bastard Ale
La Fin Du Monde
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout

http://www.marinbrewing.com/index2.php
http://www.arrogantbastard.com/home.asp
http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/la_fin_du_monde/product
http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-rasputin.htm
Bring back the Concorde

JL418

Mon May 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Speaking about microbreweries, my favourite is Baladin (and Lurisia, a spin-off), made in that gorgeous corner of Piemonte called "Le Langhe".

I'm surprised that no Americans have named yet Anchor Brew, quite possibly one of the best brewers in the New World.

srbmod

Mon May 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
Also a fan of Southern Tier

They do have a really good IPAs. I've been really wanting to try their Creme Brulee Stout, but as soon as the spots that carry it would get some in (On Twitter I follow several local shops that specialize in craft beers and they always tweet when they get some of the hard to find stuff comes in.), they'd be out of it. A similar thing happened during the Spring with Bell's Hopslam, as the only way you could find it here was in the 5 gallon mini kegs and just as soon as these stores would tweet they got some in, they'd be gone.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
Arrogant Bastard Ale

Stone's entire Bastard line is good. The recent Lukcy Basartd release was really tasty.

La Fin Du Monde

Unibroue does make some great Belgian-style beers. I prefer Ommegang's beers over Unibroue though.

Quoting JL418 (Reply 6):

I'm surprised that no Americans have named yet Anchor Brew, quite possibly one of the best brewers in the New World.

I get in the mood for an Anchor brew once in a blue moon.

Mortyman

Mon May 30, 2011 4:02 pm

JL418

Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 7):
I get in the mood for an Anchor brew once in a blue moon.

How come? I think it is truly worth drinking... I have to say that American craft beers are generally of exceptional quality, which is quite a good surprise if you think that USA is well known for industrial foods.

Tugger

Mon May 30, 2011 4:28 pm

San Diego is very fortunate and has an excellent collection of small breweries (it has over 30 and is one of the highest award winners in beer competitions around the world). I seem to be on an IPA kick lately and am having fun trying them when I see various ones around SD.

My current favorite is Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
- Alc. by Vol.: 7%
http://www.ballastpoint.com/beers-of-ballast-point-ipa-sculpin/

Another fav is Oggi's Torrey Pines IPA
- Alc. by Vol.: 6.9%
http://www.oggis.com/index.php?optio...section&layout=blog&id=7&Itemid=56

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

srbmod

Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Quoting JL418 (Reply 9):

How come? I think it is truly worth drinking... I have to say that American craft beers are generally of exceptional quality, which is quite a good surprise if you think that USA is well known for industrial foods.

It's not a beer style I tend to favor, as I'm more of an ale drinker than a lager drinker (Anchor Steam/California Common Beer is a lager.). When I want a lager, I typically go for Sam Adams Boston Lager, or if I'm on a bit of a budget, Yuengling (Not sure if you could consider Yuengling to be a craft brewer though they are smaller than Boston Beer Company.).

JL418

Mon May 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 11):
It's not a beer style I tend to favor, as I'm more of an ale drinker than a lager drinker (Anchor Steam/California Common Beer is a lager.). When I want a lager, I typically go for Sam Adams Boston Lager, or if I'm on a bit of a budget, Yuengling (Not sure if you could consider Yuengling to be a craft brewer though they are smaller than Boston Beer Company.).

Anchor doesn't just do lagers - in all honesty, I didn't know they were into that business at all!. I use to drink the Porter and the Libery Ale, which are the only ones I get down here. But I agree, Samuel Adams is a very good lager indeed.

Anyone knows St. Peter's brewery from UK? That, as well as Samuel Smith, is another of my favourites.

Pyrex

Mon May 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Quoting georgiabill (Thread starter):
Being from the northeast

Can't believe you left out Allagash Brewery in Maine, then. Their Allagash White is perhaps the best summer beer, bar none. And the Allagash Trippel is also very good, if you can find it and are willing to live with the consequences the next day...

Long Trail and Magic Hat, both in Vermont, also have some good beers, although not sure if Magic Hat can still be considered a micro-brew.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 3):
Sam Adams I don't tend to buy as much as I used to. Their Latitude 48 IPA is alright, but there are much better beers out there in my opinion.

The good thing about Sam Adams is that they are a reliably good beer that you tend to find in more and more places. Agree that they no longer fit the bill of a micro-brewery but a lot of times if you want to avoid having to drink Bud Light / Coors Light / Miller Light, that is your only choice (although ripping your own tonsils out also sounds more appealing than Bud).

Now if you want good Boston brews, Harpoon Summer is great.

La Fin Du Monde

Great beer, but be prepared for the day after...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

srbmod

Mon May 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Quoting JL418 (Reply 12):
Anchor doesn't just do lagers - in all honesty, I didn't know they were into that business at all!. I use to drink the Porter and the Libery Ale, which are the only ones I get down here. But I agree, Samuel Adams is a very good lager indeed.

The Liberty Ale and the Porter are a bit harder to find around here, as there is only so much room on the shelves and the places near me I typically buy at have quit selling them and have just kept Anchor Steam as their only offering and one cannot always be sure of the freshness of the beer at some stores since the craft beers seem to not be as big of a selling item. If I am at a beer place that always has them (and I can assured of the freshness of the beer), that's usually not the beers I'm looking for. There's a few spots around town I go to in order to get the more obscure brands or the lesser known products of a brewery that most package stores or grocery stores won't carry.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 13):
The good thing about Sam Adams is that they are a reliably good beer that you tend to find in more and more places. Agree that they no longer fit the bill of a micro-brewery but a lot of times if you want to avoid having to drink Bud Light / Coors Light / Miller Light, that is your only choice (although ripping your own tonsils out also sounds more appealing than Bud).

I actually use the beer selection as a bit of a guideline for eating at a place. As long as there is something decent of a craft brewery or UK import, I'm happy. Personally, the bigger the beer list, the better. There's a local sports bar/pub chain here in Atlanta that prides itself on it's extensive beer selection. Most locations have at least 200-300 beers available, usually split practically evenly between draft and bottles. There's a few places around me whose best beer is Killian's or Heineken. I'll admit when I go hit the local Japanese place, I usually drink a can or two of Sapporo, Asahi, or Kirin, but very rarely do I drink them outside of such a place.

AF340

Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Quoting JL418 (Reply 12):
Anyone knows St. Peter's brewery from UK?

Yeah, they're pretty good. Mind you I only really like their Cream Stout and Ruby Ale.

Quoting JL418 (Reply 6):

Not sure about that... They're good, but I don't think they are one of the best in North America. I quite like their Porter though.

sw733

Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Definitely a good one. Rogue has become sort of the "go to" national craft beer in my mind...anyone who wants a good solid beer and wants something besides Bud, Miller, etc. can grab some Rogue, bring it to a BBQ and know it will be liked while also looking like he knows his beer.

Arrogant Bastard Ale

I don't know why, but I have never been a huge fan of this one. However, ...

La Fin Du Monde

texan

Mon May 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 16):
Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Definitely a good one. Rogue has become sort of the "go to" national craft beer in my mind...anyone who wants a good solid beer and wants something besides Bud, Miller, etc. can grab some Rogue, bring it to a BBQ and know it will be liked while also looking like he knows his beer.

I like Dead Guy Ale as well. Also a fan of their Double Chocolate Stout. Surprised by their Chipotle Ale. They offer a half and half at their brewery in Portland of Double Chocolate and Chipotle for their Mole beer. Definitely interesting.

But when given the chance I reach for a Left Hand Milk Stout. Definitely my favourite. Spent many great evenings hanging out in a hammock, watching the sun go down over the Collegiate Peaks, drinking a Milk Stout and loving life. Drank it in Dallas, too, but without the hammock, mountains, or cool breeze. Their Haystack Wheat is decent, too.

Also enjoy Kona's Coffee Porter. Good flavour in that one.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

tz757300

Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 am

I love Dogfish Head, not just because I live 5 miles from the brewery, but the bulk of their beers are quite delicious. I love their IPAs and their World Wide Ale is probably my favorite of them all.

I also have to give credit to Breckenridge and Abita, I also haven't had a bad product from them. I love Abitas blueberry/blackberry/some sort of berry beer (its a purple draft).
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

srbmod

Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 am

Quoting texan (Reply 17):
Also enjoy Kona's Coffee Porter. Good flavour in that one.

Excellent brew. Then again, I've yet to have anything from Kona Brewing that wasn't good. One of our local craft brewers, Terrapin, does a coffee oatmeal imperial stout every Winter called "Wake-N-Bake" that is tasty. They also have a chocolate milk stout called "Moo Hoo" that is one of the best stouts I have ever had. I bought a six of it one day and the next day, I was at a bar that had just put it on tap and got to have the first proper pint of it from the keg in the place (The staff ended up tasting it from one of the pitchers of foam after it settled down.). I cannot wait until the fall when they bring it back out. Moo Hoo actually was inspired by a joint beer Terrapin did with Left Hand in 2009, an espresso milk stout called "Depth Charge" (Terrapin a few months ago tapped the last keg they had of it strictly for those who took the brewery tour.).

Another local craft brewer, Sweetwater, recently did a coffee imperial porter called Mean Joe Bean as part of their Dank Tank series (They sell these one-time brews in bombers and on tap.). I bought a bottle just to try it, loved it and bought three more bottles, one of which is still in the fridge, just can't bring myself to part with it yet.

I recently became acquainted with the Scottish craft brewer BrewDog as their beers just started to be distributed here in GA (there was a thread about their infamous 55% The End Of History brew last Summer):

55% Beer With A Twist, But Only For The Rich (by oly720man Jul 23 2010 in Non Aviation)

Their Punk IPA is awesome, and next chance I get, I'm picking up a pack of their Hardcore IPA.

When I was in Vegas back in March, I tried an IPA from a local craft brewer, Tenaya Creek that was superb and if I come across when I'm out there in a few weeks, I'm going to have some again. Of course, if you go to Vegas and spend any time Downtown, a trip to the 777 Brewpub at Main Street Station or Chicago Brewing at the Four Queens (They also serve their brews at Benny's Bullpen at Binion's.).

canoecarrier

Tue May 31, 2011 2:43 am

At what point do you guys consider it not a craft beer anymore? Sam Adams bottles around 1.4 million barrels of beer a year. I'd say that's no where near a microbrewery anymore more like a mainstream brewery, i.e., not craft. Same with Anchor Steam, Alaska Brewing Co. and Red Hook.

For me, the small microbrewery 5 blocks down the street from me that hardly distributes and does a dozen or more beers I can only get there is a craft brewery.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

MarSciGuy

Tue May 31, 2011 4:49 am

Quoting georgiabill (Thread starter):
Good morning all!

As an amature home brewer and a fan of regional micro or craft beers I was wondering your favorite brews were. Being from the northeast I do like the Sam Adams seasonal beers,especially the summer ale. But I have found a few smaller breweries in NH that make some very good beers. One being the Moat Mountain Brewing company of North Conway whose Pale Ale has become a personal favorite. Another NH company is Squam Brewing of Holderness NH. Their Asquam Amber Ale and Bobhouse Bitter are excellent brews.

From Ma a brewery from the berkshire region, Berkshire Brewery makes an ale that has a great taste Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale.

What are your favorite brews?

I'm surprised you didn't mention Tuckermans! Out of North Conway as well...
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

WN738

Tue May 31, 2011 7:05 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 3):
That's like asking a parent to pick their favorite child..

Wow, tough, tough decision.

I would have to say though that I'm more of a big fan, of fine imports, particularly German brews, such as Paulaner, and good English Ales. BUT my favorite domestic craft brew would have to be my local California brewery, Hanger 24 Alt Bier, and their Chocolate Porter.

I'm also fond of a Utah brewery called Bohemian Brewery, i love their Bohemian Brewery Czech Pilsner, and Cherny Bock Schwarzbier. its a shame there arent more craft Pilsner styles out there...at least not where i am  

I'm sure there's about a dozen more i like almost as much, but i cant name them all...GOOD beer just puts me on   

[Edited 2011-05-31 00:07:51]

OA412

Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 am

Not much of a beer drinker myself, but when I do partake I tend to prefer microbrews. Luckily, there are some really good microbreweries here in Utah, though I certainly don't limit myself to just local brews. Anyway, some standout beers that I've sampled:

Uinta Brewing Co. Cutthroat Pale Ale
Wasatch Brewery 1st Amendment Lager, Apricot Hefeweizen, and Polygamy Porter
Moab Brewery Scorpion Pale Ale
New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tire

[Edited 2011-05-31 01:17:11]
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

WN738

Tue May 31, 2011 8:49 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 23):
Uinta Brewing Co. Cutthroat Pale Ale
Wasatch Brewery 1st Amendment Lager, Apricot Hefeweizen, and Polygamy Porter

I forgot about how good those breweries are too.   Myself, having lived in UT, for a couple of years, I find the Polygamy Porter quite good as well as the Apricot Hefeweizen. For a sate wih some nasty liquor laws, Utah does have some good microbrews.

FingerLakerAv8r

Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 pm

http://www.peakbrewing.com/

http://www.unibroue.com/

http://ithacabeer.com/

http://www.eriebrewingco.com

As for my favorite beers from the websites listed above the answer is yes 

sw733

Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 17):
Left Hand Milk Stout

Oh man I hatttttte that stuff. I love stout, but milk stout...I have never had one I like. Just something about the taste that I greatly dislike.

georgiabill
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 pm

The Tuckerman's Headwall is an excellent brew as well.

A few other brews that are from smaller New Hampshire Breweries include Woodstock Inn's Pemi Pale Ale and Pig's Ear and from Hooksett NH is White Birch Brewing is their Tavern Ale. I also like their Apprentice series Nyx American Black Ale. The apprentice series isamature brewers are invited to brew their best beer or ales. A good opportunity to get your brews known.

I also like several of the Broklyn Brewery products. Including their broklyn Local #1 and the Brooklyn lager and East india Pale Ale.

Another larger brewery whose products are interesting is Flying Dog! The artwork on their labels and packaging alone is worth trying their products.

Raising a mug to you all! Any other good craft beers you like?

wingman

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Daily drinker is Sierra, Scrimshaw or Boont Amber. These days it's mostly Sierra since Safeway runs an eternal special for $24/case.

But when occasion calls for it I love a Chimay or its US equivalent which is pretty much any beer from the Russian River Brewing Company. Man, beer aged in wine barrels is completely off the hook. But $8-$10 a bottle is steep.

srbmod

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Quoting georgiabill (Reply 27):
Another larger brewery whose products are interesting is Flying Dog! The artwork on their labels and packaging alone is worth trying their products.

A brewery owned by one of Hunter S. Thompson's friends, beers inspired by him, and labels designed by his partner in crime, Ralph Steadman, who can go wrong. I remember buying a six pack of Woody Creek White few years ago and the young punk who worked the beer section at the liquor store I was at acting like the beer version of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. This kid was probably in elementary school when I started drinking.....

Quoting wingman (Reply 28):
These days it's mostly Sierra since Safeway runs an eternal special for $24/case.

That's not a bad price at all. A case of Sweetwater here would easily run $28-30.

Quoting wingman (Reply 28):
But when occasion calls for it I love a Chimay or its US equivalent which is pretty much any beer from the Russian River Brewing Company. Man, beer aged in wine barrels is completely off the hook. But $8-$10 a bottle is steep.

What's crazy is that I can plop down $8-10+ on a bottle of beer and not bad an eye about it. I guess paying this much for a glass of them (sometimes a pint, sometimes a smaller glass) at a bar doesn't make it seem so bad when I buy them at the store. There's a chain called Total Wine that I cannot go into without dropping at least $30-40 on beer, mostly bombers that run anywhere from $7-10 a bottle.

Now if you want a real treat, try to find some Innis & Gunn that is aged in rum casks. When I can find it, I grab as many bottles as I can. I'm not a big fan of their regular beer though.

http://www.innisandgunn.com/thebeer_newproducts.htm

wingman

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:02 pm

A truly great website for beer lovers worldwide:
http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular

Superfly

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:52 am

Anyone remember the Red Hook Double Black Stout that was brewed with Starbucks coffee?
That stuff was really good!

Sierra Nevada has a great Porter and Stout.
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:39 am

Actually been bringing home a growler every other week as I try new stuff.
I am very new, only 3 weeks prior to American Craft beer week, into delving into craft beers.

So far, been happy w/ Arrogant Bastard as well as a few from...Founders Brewing.

Just had a heavy double IPA out of Bluepoint a few weeks ago that I enjoyed.

Looking for a decent summer beer though. Was looking forward to Dogfish Head but they are hardly shipping any seasonal stuff right now.

Also have taken a liking to Goose Island.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

AF340

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 29):
Now if you want a real treat, try to find some Innis & Gunn that is aged in rum casks. When I can find it, I grab as many bottles as I can. I'm not a big fan of their regular beer though.

All of their brews are stocked at the Ontario Liquor stores year-round. I am not a big fan of the Rum Casks or Innis & Gunn in general. Their regular beer just tastes too much of vanilla for me.

wingscrubber

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:04 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 8):
Nøgne Ø

Oh yes - this stuff is GOOD. Found a bottle in Wichita, KS once, never come across it again.
I also brew my own...
Resident TechOps Troll