Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde

RE: F1 2011: Grand Prix Du Canada

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:03 pm

oh shooks no podium for Schumi..........
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Springbok747

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 pm

WOHOOO!!! Go Button!

Terrible race for Ferrari again..dammit.
אני תומך בישראל

racko

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Button wins with SIX pit stops! Incredible what he did in the last laps.

U2380

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Well, that's disappointing. Especially after his 'incident' with Hamilton.

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Button is really happy! Well he has worked hard on it.
McLaren lost Hammy at the start and won the victory with Jenson in the end.

I am sad not to see Schumi on the podium.

What was the incident with Petrov toward the end?
Kamui did a fantastic race, considering his "underdog" car.
This is when I wish he had a Red Bull then he would never had lost his second place!

I loved this race! So much action, a long interruption but during racing never a boring minute.

Congrats to all.............

bill142

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 52):
Button wins with SIX pit stops! Incredible what he did in the last laps.

And held just about every position out there! Shame Schumacher wasn't able to hold off Webber and get a podium, that would have been good to see.

MD11Bob

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Wow, what a great final! This is why I love Formula 1. Too bad, I was so excited about a Vettel / Schumi double header...   

racko

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Let's hope the FIA doesn't put a penalty on Button for the Hamilton or Alonso incidents...first one was Hamilton's fault, second one a normal racing incident.

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I wanted a Schumi and Kamui on the podium... oh well... maybe another time.
They both did a superb race. Wish the Sauber could have held better, maybe the tyres too.

As long as there is life there is hope.

Great race, considering the conditions and that long waiting time.

codeshare

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Ha ha ha ! Jenson is the man, 6 stops, drive through, being the last in the race to drive for a fantastic win. A textbook example of 100% start to finish racing. DRS and KERS too.

Congratulations Vettel for being loser (to say it delicately with minimum irony and sarcasm) of the race  ))))    It was a mistake to let Jenson so close and then slipping, still a lot to learn.... Christian Horner's response priceless....

Super Schumi, if his Merc was just a little bit faster he could even challenge for the win. He should've been at least P2. And Massa just centimetres ahead of Kobayashi. Now that's an exciting finish.

Lewis what a disgrace, is he back to the old overracting rookie ?

It was worth waiting all this time for the restart.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

TristarAtLCA

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Wow. What a fabulous drive from Button.

Last place, six stops,contact with his team mate and he wins. If you wrote it people would dismiss it as fantasy. Great entertainment.
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Canada Montreal F1 Grand Prix final result:

1 Great Britain J Button McLaren
2 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
3 Australia M Webber Red Bull
4 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
5 Russian Federation V Petrov Renault
6 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
7 Japan K Kobayashi Sauber
8 Spain J Alguersuari Toro Rosso
9 Brazil R Barrichello Williams
10 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso
11 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
12 Spain P de la Rosa Sauber
13 Italy V Liuzzi Hispania
14 India N Karthikeyan Hispania
15 Belgium J d'Ambrosio Virgin
16 Germany T Glock Virgin
17 Italy J Trulli Lotus
18 Great Britain P Di Resta Force India
19 Venezuela P Maldonado (ret.) Williams
20 Germany N Heidfeld Renault
21 Germany A Sutil (ret.) Force India
22 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
23 Finland H Kovalainen (ret.) Lotus
24 Great Britain L Hamilton (ret.) McLaren

scbriml

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 57):
first one was Hamilton's fault

Well we know what you think of Hamilton, but interestingly Button felt the need to apologise to Hamilton in public at the post-race interview.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bill142

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 60):
Last place, six stops,contact with his team mate and he wins. If you wrote it people would dismiss it as fantasy. Great entertainment.

Not to mention contact with Alonso which caused him to have a puncture. And to top it all off, not in a good way, he's got two pending stewards investigations.

TristarAtLCA

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 63):

Not to mention contact with Alonso which caused him to have a puncture.

See, it sounds even more unreal  
Quoting bill142
(Reply 63):
two pending stewards investigations.

I can't see a penalty coming for either investigation.
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

bill142

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 64):
I can't see a penalty coming for either investigation.

Common sens prevails and no penalties were given to Button.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92310

legoguy

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:15 am

Awesome race, even after the two hour stop in racing. Brilliant coverage by the BBC as always, Brundle and Coulthard filled the time nicely with some bird watching (no kidding). Brilliant drive from Button especially after everything he was involved in.

I feel a bit sorry for Hamilton being involved in two racing incidents. He was at fault for clipping Webber at the first corner but more of a racing incident, although I don't feel his coming together with Button was his fault, he just saw a gap and went for it and unfortunately Button didn't see him. Hamilton just needs to gain some patience and not charge into every possible gap so early on in the race.

Did anyone see the race marshal falling over whilst collecting debris between incidents during the safety car period? It was funny, then serious, then funny then serious again as a Renault rounded the corner with brakes screeching. Very lucky me thinks. And not the only marshal to be falling this weekend. Just glad everything worked out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-hNRx_EPvI

Onwards to Valencia!
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

CXB77L

Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:08 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 41):
Does Formula One actually RACE in the rain, or only in the "damp". For heaven's sake, let them go and race, not parade around behind the safety car ad nauseum!!!!

Does anybody else find this absurd? What are "wet" tires for? If they wait much longer they'll have to come in for intermediates before they can start.

I agree entirely. It's as if F1 drivers have become soft. They used to race rain, hail or shine, and it was up to the drivers to determine what would be the maximum speed they could drive at and where the limits of adhesion are. If they stuffed it in the wall, well ... they stuffed it in the wall. No big deal, race goes on without them.

That said, when the drivers were racing, it was a great race overall. What an exciting finish. I'm not too unhappy to see the race win go to Button, he drove a fantastic race from last to first and deserve the victory. Driver of the day by a long mile.

Oh, and do those of you who are happy that Vettel didn't win actually realise that he increased his lead in the Driver's Championship thanks to Hamilton and Alonso both having a bad race? 

Bring on Valencia!
Boeing 777 fanboy

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:56 am

Wow, I finally watched the race with several hours delay and what seemed to be one of the most useless races in history, ended up being some good entertainment!

Congrats to Button ... that's why you have to try and push till the very end!
Since Massa was out of the picture, I really wanted to see schumi up there again, and although he didn't manage a podium, for a few moments he was Schumi again!!

Very dissapointed on what looked like a great race for Ferrari. Again the team screwed up and called in Alonso at the worst time possible, 1 minute before the storm hit hard. And Massa want back to being himself after he put on the slicks.

But I have to be critical about this race. Starting with the SC was utter BS. It wasn't raining that much and the track was good enough to race. But as mentioned, F1 drivers today have become soft. The 6 or 7 SC also got annoying, and I got very close to turning the TV off (luckily I didn't  ). And a special mention to the "all cars under investigation" calls. COME ON! Everything was under investigation, all the time. How can you drive knowing that you can't really race because Big Brother is there investigating everything?!

And last but not least; Hammy. Has he been on drugs lately?
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

bill142

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:00 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 67):

I agree entirely. It's as if F1 drivers have become soft. They used to race rain, hail or shine, and it was up to the drivers to determine what would be the maximum speed they could drive at and where the limits of adhesion are. If they stuffed it in the wall, well ... they stuffed it in the wall. No big deal, race goes on without them.

One of the screen shots of the FIA weather radar showed that the rain was intensity 2 which equaled light rain. If they can't race in light rain, then they might as well not race at all. Something needs to be done to make these things work in the wet. If they know it's going to be wet before the start then the FIA needs to allow teams to make some set up adjustments so they can work, and possibly look at ways of diffusing the spray they kick up. It's just ridiculous that as soon as a splash of rain comes everyone panics and they throw out the red flag.

Springbok747

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 69):
It's just ridiculous that as soon as a splash of rain comes everyone panics and they throw out the red flag.

Maybe it has something to do with Hamilton running into everybody lately..     
אני תומך בישראל

MadameConcorde

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:28 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 70):
Maybe it has something to do with Hamilton running into everybody lately..

FIA turning into HIA: Hamilton International Assistance   
I don't think having Scherzingers and Rihannas around is doing him much good.

As for the race being stopped for cause of weather I agree that it was a bit much.
It looks like it's getting to a point where the safety car is being deployed for just about any reason.

bill142

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:49 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 71):
FIA turning into HIA: Hamilton International Assistance

How do you figure? The FIA keep penalising him, that's hardly any assistance to him.

MadameConcorde

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 72):
How do you figure?

I wasn't serious.  

scbriml

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 am

I agree to a large extent with those questioning why the race started under SC. The given reason was lack of experience of the new wet tyres, which sounds a bit daft to me. Personally, I don't see why the race couldn't have started normally.

There's no doubt in my mind that when the race was red-flagged, it was absolutely the correct decision. The circuit was undriveable, but some seem to think they should have continued. While watching all the drivers fall of the track might have been amusing, given the nature of the circuit, it could have also been very dangerous. Stopping the race at that point was 100% correct IMHO. However, I do fail to understand why, when the race finally restarted, the SC stayed out for so long. So long that everyone wanted to switch to intermediate tyres as soon as possible. Why on Earth didn't the SC come in at the end of the first lap of the restart?   
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:48 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 74):
The given reason was lack of experience of the new wet tyres, which sounds a bit daft to me.

Which makes matters even worse. They should have tested them before, and if they can't deliver a proper set of tyres, let's look for an alternative provider.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 74):
There's no doubt in my mind that when the race was red-flagged, it was absolutely the correct decision

I agree, but it seemed like they stopped it for way too long, and as you say, the SC was there for way too long after the restart.

scbriml

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 75):
They should have tested them before

I don't disagree, although testing is not quite the same as racing.

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 75):
if they can't deliver a proper set of tyres, let's look for an alternative provider.

I haven't seen a single suggestion that the wet tyres failed to do the job for which they were designed.

It was Whiting's decision to start the race under SC because none of the drivers had raced these wets, not because of any issue with the tyres themselves. That implies if they'd been using last year's tyres, the race would have started normally because their performance would have been known and understood by the drivers. I can see the point of view, but I don't agree with it.

bill142

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 76):

No doubt the lack of knowledge by the teams played a role in the decisions made by the FIA. In hindsight, perhaps a day or two of testing at Paul Riccard, where they can simulate wet weather running, would have given everyone considerably more knowledge of how the tyres behave.

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 76):
It was Whiting's decision to start the race under SC because none of the drivers had raced these wets, not because of any issue with the tyres themselves

Fair enough, but then the teams/drivers should have done extensive testing with all the different tyres under all conditions instead of having the joke start that we saw yesterday. Ok, it's too late now, but let's hope this won't happen again