Nibog
Topic Author

Vancouver,your 2 Cents Advice Needed.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to the west coast of Canada in May 2012.I am thinking of arriving into YVR and staying in Vancouver for about 3 days(any tips on good hotels) before heading off to Whistler, and then head east to the Rockies,Banff,Jasper etc.Those are my initial plans,however they are not cast in stone,so ,may I throw those suggestions out onto the floor and welcome any thoughts,ideas,and your 2 cents worth into the mix to help towards my plans.
I would also stress, that in my mind ,a visit to Vancouver should also include a flight in a float plane!!!!. How is the month of May weather wise,warm spring days and cool at night??,although coming from Ireland probably hot in comparison to here.!!!.

Anyway thank you very much for your thoughts and ideas on a visit to Vancouver,i look forward to reading your replies,

Nibog

canoecarrier

RE: Vancouver,your 2 Cents Advice Needed.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:17 pm

I’ve stayed at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver and at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre. Both of the hotels were very nice. I booked on Priceline.com and I got the rooms for half off. Vancouver has a maritime climate so you’ll probably have temperatures between 8 and 16 degrees Celsius. Much like Seattle about half the days in May it rains, but if you go later in the month you may get lucky and have more sun than clouds. This year this part of North America had more rain than normal, hopefully you’ll get lucky. I’d suggest a trip to Stanley Park while you’re in Vancouver. Harbour Air flies from Vancouver Harbour to Victoria if you’re looking for a daytrip to Vancouver Island on a seaplane.

Depending on how adventurous you are, if you plan on staying in Lake Louise, Alberta while you’re traveling up the Rockies there’s a fantastic hostel there run by the Alpine Club of Canada/Hostelling International. You can get a private room, they have a nice bar and it’s a great place to meet other travelers. If you’re not adventurous stay at the Chateau. In my younger years I backpacked from Calgary up to Whitehorse on part of that route. Beautiful country and great memories.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

YVRLTN

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:58 am

As with everything, not everyone will want to do the same things and your idea of what a holiday should be may be different than mine. Some people just want to relax and maybe watch the world go by or some like an active holiday. Vancouver offers both, but we find for many visitors your budget limits what you do or otherwise.

Quoting Nibog (Thread starter):
any tips on good hotels

Every chain is represented, again it will come down to your budget and what level of luxury you want. There are some great 4 & 5 star hotels right on the waterfront. Or you can stay in a Holiday Inn Express or similar, which personally I find just fine for somewhere you are ultimately just sleeping and showeing in. There are also many hotels in Richmond by YVR, some of which are more accessible than others to the skytrain for a 25 min ride downtown. Expedia is probably as good as anything to find some deals and May is just the start of the summer season before it gets real busy, so there should be plenty to be had.

before heading off to Whistler

I may get flamed for this, but unless you are into skiing or mountain biking (could be either or in May....) I think its a commercialized waste of time going there, though the drive up is spectacular (you see more coming back). The skiing is world class, no questions, but youre right at the end of the season. In the summer the runs open up for mountain biking, but probably too early, even if the snow is gone, will be pretty muddy. There is a nice vibe in the village, but if youre just going to go for beers and to hang out, stay in Vancouver. That being said.........

head east to the Rockies,Banff,Jasper etc

One way to go through the Rockies which many do not think of is is by going north through Whistler and carrying on through Pemberton and Lilooet to Kamloops and joining up with Highway 1 for Golden, Revelstoke and Lake Louise. Another option which we always prefer and recommend (and never fails to impress visitors) is at least one way go via the Okanagan. Its warmer than the coast, though it wont be fierce summer in May, and is a nice contrast to the Rockies with lakes, beaches, more like rambling hills than mountains, wineries and just a generally relaxing place. What a lot do is fly into YVR, drive through, then fly back out of YYC. If youre doing a roundtrip by road from YVR, I would recommend doing the Whistler / Lilooet route outbound and Okanagan back (or vice versa).

Again, personal opinion, while Lake Louise certainly is a "must see" no questions, I find it a a little commercialized (tarmac paths dont belong in the Rockies....) and if you want to see some of the natural beauty, particularly if you like hiking, there are many trails you can take from other points.

a visit to Vancouver should also include a flight in a float plane

Yep, there are flights from both downtown Vancouver Coal Harbour and from YVR south side, mainly to Victoria Harbour, but also to other places too. Victoria is probably the most worthwhile for a daytrip (there is nothing in Nanaimo for example). harbour AIr are the largest and recently bought West Coast Air, though they currently operate independently. To Victoria, Harbour mainly fly the Turbine Otter which unfortunately has a PT6 turboprop rather than the original R1340 radial and they operate from both origins. The do have plenty of radial R985 powered Beavers, but they mainly fly to the smaller stations. West Coast Air fly more from downtown with a mixture of Beavers and Twin Otters, which are the rare 100 and 200 variants. They do also fly from YVR and tend to use the Beavers from there more (as they bought out Baxter Aviation a while back).

Other operators are Seair with Beavers, Turbo Beavers and Caravans, but they dont do Victoria. Then theres Saltspring Air, both fly mainly to the Gulf Islands. Finally theres Tofino Air who fly to Tofino on the west coast of the island, which is also well worth a visit, particularly if you are a surfer.

Throw this out there too - you can also fly to Whistler with Whistler Air to Green Lake - they have a Turbine Otter, a Beaver and a Caravan.

How is the month of May weather wise,warm spring days and cool at night??,although coming from Ireland probably hot in comparison to here.!!!.

May is usually one of the nicest months of the year. But not this year.... grey and wet with temperatures in the mid teens. Usually it is sunny, everything is bright and fresh with the blooms of spring and temperatures are in the low 20's which is very pleasant. Certainly a time of year I would recommend. However, prepare with waterproofs, sweaters, sunblock & flip flops - you may need them all in one day!

If you want any more info on routes throught the mountaines, what to do in Vancouver itself, whale watching etc, or would like any info about spotting at YVR, feel free to PM me. Im from the UK and have streams of visitors each year - I really should be a travel agent and trip planner in my spare time!!
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

canuckpaxguy

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:05 am

As for the float plane - I would recommend Tofino Air.
I've used them for flights between YVR and Sechelt and downtown Vancouver.

Tons of fun, friendly pilots and great sight-seeing!
Take lots of pictures!

G

sleekjet

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:13 am

I would highly recommend the Fairmont Vancouver Airport...just a wonderful place to stay...the windows are triple-paned so you aren't bothered by the planes' noise. If you find it too expensive to eat at the hotel's restaurants, there are numerous varied eateries in the airport proper, which is just down a flight of stairs from the hotel foyer.
II Cor. 4:17-18

wunala

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:41 am

I stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront. A nice corner suite, and it was great to open the curtains in the morning and seeing different ships there. I thought it was central. and close to get the float plane to Vancouver Island.

Loved Vancouver, and long to go back. There is a bus to north, where you can ski and see bears etc.

Nibog
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 1):
I’ve stayed at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver and at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre. Both of the hotels were very nice. I booked on Priceline.com and I got the rooms for half off. Vancouver has a maritime climate so you’ll probably have temperatures between 8 and 16 degrees Celsius

canoecarrier,many thanks for that,I am considering staying in Vancouver for at least 3 days and then hiring a car/4*4 and head east to Banff,Jasper etc,or should I stay longer in Vancouver??.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 2):
Vancouver offers both, but we find for many visitors your budget limits what you do or otherwise.

To be honest this is one of the reasons why I would like to visit the Canadian west coast,having visited Toronto,Quebec,Ottawa,and had a great time,wonderful people,great food and when the sun came out ,it just added to the experience,I would like to try Vancouver and Rockies.

though the drive up is spectacular (you see more coming back).

Point taken,something to make a note of although I do like the sound of your routing to and from the Rockies.I am now debating whether to fly into YVR and out of YYC back to Ireland.

Certainly a time of year I would recommend. However, prepare with waterproofs, sweaters, sunblock & flip flops - you may need them all in one day!

Sounds just like home,4 seasons all in one day!!!!!

I really should be a travel agent and trip planner in my spare time!!

Thank you for going to all that trouble,the info is much appreciated.      

Quoting canuckpaxguy (Reply 3):
Take lots of pictures!

I did that on the east coast,and if that is anything to go by I may make sure and have plenty of memory cards with me.

Quoting sleekjet (Reply 4):
I would highly recommend the Fairmont Vancouver Airport

Thank you sleekjet,nice to read your experiences,all added to the mix.That is the beauty of this forum,great feedback all the time.Thank you.

Quoting wunala (Reply 5):
stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront. A nice corner suite, and it was great to open the curtains in the morning and seeing different ships there. I thought it was central. and close to get the float plane to Vancouver Island.

That is very interesting indeed,this is to be a special once in a lifetime trip so I plan to make the most of it,and maybe watch the famous floatplane activity from my room!!!!

Thank you all again for the information,and again if anybody has any other thoughts please feel free to add them.
Nibog

Arrow

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Quoting Nibog (Reply 6):
canoecarrier,many thanks for that,I am considering staying in Vancouver for at least 3 days and then hiring a car/4*4 and head east to Banff,Jasper etc,or should I stay longer in Vancouver??.

Keep in mind that it's a looong way from Vancouver to Banff or Jasper -- even longer if you go north via Pemberton/Lillooet. It takes a full day of driving, and that's without stops (which I don't recommend -- there's a tonne of stuff to see in between).

Unless you're planning on heading cross-country up a logging road somewhere, you won't need a 4x4. In May, however, it might be a good idea to get a vehicle with snow tires -- certainly for the trip through the mountains. It can snow anytime up there, and the snow tires are far more useful than the 4x4 would be.

May is early for the Rockies -- don't be surprised, for example, if Lake Louise still has ice on it -- it often doesn't clear until early June. Also -- if you are into hiking -- most of the trails in the Rockies will still be snow-bound in May, especially the higher elevation ones. Rent back country skis if you want to see that country (and I recommend it!) -- but get some professional guide advice on avalanche conditions.

You can do a nice loop (assuming you come back to Vancouver) that starts in Kamloops, heads east on #1 to Banff, then heads north up the Banff-Jasper Hwy to Jasper, then west on the Yellowhead Hwy, through Mt. Robson (which is by far the most spectacular peak in the Rockies -- if you are lucky enough to have a clear day), down the North Thompson River and back to Kamloops. If you decide to go back home through Calgary -- it's still highly recommended that you go up to Jasper and over to Robson before doubling back. Alternative -- from Kamloops go north through Robson, Jasper, down the Banff-Jasper to Banff, and ultimately on to Calgary.

I live in North Vancouver, and there's lots of stuff to do here -- but Banff/Jasper is my home away from home, and there isn't a trail in those mountains my wife and I haven't hiked at least once, many of them, dozens of times. In fact, we're headed back in August to do a 3-day backpack trip on the Skyline Trail near Jasper.

Hope the trip works out.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Nibog
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 7):
Keep in mind that it's a looong way from Vancouver to Banff or Jasper -- even longer if you go north via Pemberton/Lillooet. It takes a full day of driving, and that's without stops (which I don't recommend -- there's a tonne of stuff to see in between).

Hi Arrow,many many thanks for all those tips,very interesting indeed,i appreciate your thoughts on a route to the Rockies,and to be honest i don't fancy a long day at the wheel,I want to see your beautiful countryside so O plan on stopping a few times,as well as overnight somewhere. I would like to visit and see the famous Martin Mars water bombers if they are still around!!!!.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 7):
May is early for the Rockies -

That being the case perhaps late May might be more prudent time to visit,I think a visit to the Rockies is a must,having travelled so far!!!!. I would love to hike through the mountains and I can only but be envious of your forthcoming hike in August.I plan on a few days in the Rockies,driving to see the different sights etc,and staying at some of the fine hotels in the area.As regards my return via YYC or YVR,that is yet to be decided.

Many thanks again for your info.
Nibog

WestJetForLife

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:40 pm

I lived in Vancouver for about two years, and I re-visited the city during the Civic Holiday long weekend in 2009 during the World Police and Fire Games.

Lots of neat stuff to do in the downtown area (shopping on Robson St., Science World, trendy restaurants in Coal Harbor/the waterfront, etc.), Chinatown, Stanley Park, Wreck Beach on the University Endowment Lands, the Vancouver Aquarium and a whole bunch of picturesque parks and green spaces in North and West Vancouver (I recommend Capilano Suspension Bridge) and Gastown.

Be forewarned, though. Do NOT go into the Downtown Eastside after 11PM. Very sketchy. However, for the most part, the people will either leave you alone or will be friendly to you...as long as you are friendly to them.

Hotel-wise, I stayed at The Sutton Place Hotel on Burrard and Robson. Very trendy and, for a five-star hotel, rather affordable if you go through Expedia. Four nights plus airfare on WS from YYC was, in total, $1,450.

Whistler is a blah place as YVRLTN said. Nice for skiing during the winter months and mountain biking during the summer, but if you're going in May, you're in the "transition" month between winter and summer. If you want to go there, that's all cool, but I don't recommend it if all you want to do is go check out the scenery. There's enough of that in Vancouver.

Finally, floatplane-wise, I never got a chance to fly out of the floatplane harbor near the Vancouver Convention Center (I wanted to, but I forgot my credit card in my safe at the hotel and I only had $65 in cash. D'OH!). In 2009, it was about $140 one-way between Vancouver and Victoria without taxes, so about $160-$165 with. I believe you can also do 30-minute 'flight-seeing' tours around the GVRD for about $60-70.

NOTE: British Columbia has both 5% Canada-wide GST and 7% (I think) PST (Provincial Sales Tax). As of July 1, 2010, BC now has HST at 7%. Then again, I haven't been to BC in almost two years. So, be forewarned: it can get pricey.

Also, the GVRD has a decent transit system. Buses, Skytrain and the West Coast Express. As of 2009, the Skytrain extends down to YVR, so if your hotel is located downtown, it's easier (and cheaper!) to take the Skytrain from YVR Station.

If you have any other inquiries or questions about the GVRD, the Islands OR visiting BC/Alberta in general, just PM me. I'll be MORE than glad to help!

Nik
I need a drink.

Arrow

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting WestJetForLife (Reply 9):
NOTE: British Columbia has both 5% Canada-wide GST and 7% (I think) PST (Provincial Sales Tax). As of July 1, 2010, BC now has HST at 7%. Then again, I haven't been to BC in almost two years. So, be forewarned: it can get pricey.

I'm sure you didn't mean to say that. The HST is 12% right now. By next May it could be 11%. Or, if the referendum we're about to hold scraps it altogether -- we could be back to a 5% GST and as 7% PST.

The advantage to Whistler in May is exactly the transition season -- you can get rooms relatively cheap (well, by Whistler standards), and the scenery is just as good in May as in August -- just a little vwhiter.

canoecarrier

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 pm

To follow up on this comment. We say in Washington State that BC stands for "Bring Cash".

WestJetForLife

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:50 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 10):
I'm sure you didn't mean to say that. The HST is 12% right now. By next May it could be 11%. Or, if the referendum we're about to hold scraps it altogether -- we could be back to a 5% GST and as 7% PST.

That was typed wrong. I meant to say combined tax was 11-12%. Sorry about.

Nik
I need a drink.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:09 am

Please know that tonight's riots are not at all representative of Vancouver and its people. How horribly embarrassing.
But that was when I ruled the world

YVRLTN

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:11 am

Quoting Nibog (Reply 6):
I am considering staying in Vancouver for at least 3 days and then hiring a car/4*4 and head east to Banff,Jasper etc,or should I stay longer in Vancouver??.
Lots of neat stuff to do in the downtown area (shopping on Robson St., Science World, trendy restaurants in Coal Harbor/the waterfront, etc.), Chinatown, Stanley Park, Wreck Beach on the University Endowment Lands, the Vancouver Aquarium and a whole bunch of picturesque parks and green spaces in North and West Vancouver (I recommend Capilano Suspension Bridge) and Gastown.

Again, it depends what your interests are, but personally I could see downtown Vancouver in a day. Make it two if you want to take your time cycling around Stanley Park and stopping for beers here and there and spend some time watching floatplane activity.

Shopping - its not London, Paris or NY...
Science World - interesting, but very much geared up for young kids
Restaurants - definitely great, but make sure your credit card is prepared - as mention the HST is not included and comes as a nasty surprise on top of your bill - indeed on everything you buy
Chinatown - interesting to wander through, but not a place to hang around, borders on to the undesirables of society
Stanley Park - must do, recommend hiring a bike to cycle round, a very easy ride and the only way to see the key things - aquarium within the park is also good, but again geared towards kids and hardly a Sea World experience
Wreck Beach - bit of a hike down and to avoid any surprises, its a nude beach - but usually well worth it with all the uni students   - other UBC beaches as mentioned are also very nice, but really you need a car to get there - and May should be pleasant for walks but hardly beach sitting weather
Capilano Suspension Bridge - huge rip off, go to Lynn Canyon, similar view and free with nice trails through the forest
Gastown - interesting to poke around, nice for beers & coffee

I could do all the above in two days - one day for Stanley Park, downtown, Gastown & Chinatown, one day with a car to do UBC & Lynn Canyon - if you have time check out the views from Cypress too. Grouse is good, but expensive to go up the cable car and you need clear weather to be worth the money - no point if its cloudy. Plenty of other parks, trails and green areas to explore though if you are into that.

Personally I would take more time to check out the Rockies. Many people totally underestimate the distance - there is so much to see en route. Lake Louise to Jasper is well worth doing, but you are going to struggle to do that and stop and enjoy too much as a roundtrip from YVR in 3 days.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 10):
The advantage to Whistler in May is exactly the transition season -- you can get rooms relatively cheap (well, by Whistler standards), and the scenery is just as good in May as in August -- just a little vwhiter.

Again, its pretty, but not more pretty than the rest of the Rockies and if you have limited time and a choice between a detour to Whistler and getting out through the Rockies and as far as Jasper, its a no brainer - unless you did it as a stop by taking the Pemberton / Lilooet route, but that will be a full day just to get to the Shuswap area taking this route.

I would recommend 5 nights to really see the Rockies and interior as a roundtrip from YVR. Night 1 Kamloops / Salmon Arm by taking the Whistler / Lilooet route, night 2 Lake Louise, night 3 Jasper, night 4 Revelstoke / Golden, night 5 Okanagan (particularly Penticton / Summerland area).

A 4x4 isnt necessary unless you have tons of luggage, but if you are doing this much driving I would certainly recommend a mid size.

Finally re the Mars waterbomber - who knows where they will be next May (right now one is in Alberta for example), but they are on Sproat Lake near Port Alberni smack bang in the center of Vancouver Island. The only way you could really do it as a day trip from YVR is by flying to Nanaimo (chance to do your floatplane) then hire a car and drive there.

Ryan h

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:33 am

As dad and I are planning what we are goinf to do on our trip in August, try this site for floatplane flights as well.

http://www.bcpassport.com/
South Australian Spotter

NIKV69

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 13):
Please know that tonight's riots are not at all representative of Vancouver and its people. How horribly embarrassing.

OMG I am very disappointed. I was pulling for Luongo so bad but this behavior is so not Canada!
I am the Googlizer!!!

HOMER71

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:27 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 16):
this behavior is so not Canada!

True, but is the behavior so Vancouver? Re: 1994 Stanley Cup riots

[Edited 2011-06-16 04:34:20]
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Arrow

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Quoting homer71 (Reply 17):
True, but is the behavior so Vancouver? Re: 1994 Stanley Cup riots

I'm embarrassed and demoralized today -- and not because the Canucks lost. This one I think was worse than 1994.

What troubles me is all that car burning and window smashing was pre-determinbed. Those thugs were going to do that whichever way the game went. It isn't easy to set cars on fire, but they went up like torches. That means they knew how to do it, and they came prepared. There are a few anarchist groups in town, and I'd bet a lot of money that they've been planning this for a few weeks.

I hope they all get caught.

Nibog
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi everyone,

First of all can I stress that in no way will the trouble that happened in Vancouver last night put me off from travelling from where I live in Ireland to see your wonderful part of the world.Sadly for a good number of years we(especially those in the North of Ireland) had our share of trouble.

Now on a happier note,I am looking at travelling in May,staying for two weeks,I think i will fly into YVR,stay there for 3 nights and then head to the Rockies,with a few stops on the way,stay in Banff for 5/7 nights and then travel to YYC,stay for one night and fly home from there.How does all that sound,please ant thoughts no matter how small throw them all into the mix!!!!.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 11):
We say in Washington State that BC stands for "Bring Cash"

I have found in general no matter where you go in the world today everything is expensive!!!!!

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 14):
I would recommend 5 nights to really see the Rockies and interior as a roundtrip from YVR. Night 1 Kamloops / Salmon Arm by taking the Whistler / Lilooet route, night 2 Lake Louise, night 3 Jasper, night 4 Revelstoke / Golden, night 5 Okanagan (particularly Penticton / Summerland area).

This sounds very interesting indeed,many thanks for those thoughts,I will look into it in more detail and maybe expand on some of it.

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 15):
try this site for floatplane flights as well.

Thanks for the link Ryan,plenty of information on there!!!!

NIKV69

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 18):
What troubles me is all that car burning and window smashing was pre-determinbed. Those thugs were going to do that whichever way the game went. It isn't easy to set cars on fire, but they went up like torches. That means they knew how to do it, and they came prepared. There are a few anarchist groups in town, and I'd bet a lot of money that they've been planning this for a few weeks.

I hope they all get caught.

Just saw the news on that story and it's clear they were and I hope they see jail.
I am the Googlizer!!!

canoecarrier

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 7):

Although a long drive from Vancouver to Lake Louise it is all on the Trans-Canada and you get to drive through Glacier National Park which is beautiful.

Quoting Nibog (Reply 8):

That being the case perhaps late May might be more prudent time to visit,I think a visit to the Rockies is a must,having travelled so far!!!!.

Late May might be better. I was in the Lake Louise area around that time and even though there was still some ice on the lake there are plenty of lower elevation hikes to do.

Be forewarned, though. Do NOT go into the Downtown Eastside after 11PM.

I'll second that opinion.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 14):

What he's suggesting is a very nice trip. Not only would you get to drive up the Athabasca Highway between Lake Louise and Jasper, you could spend some time in the Okanagan. The Okanagan is where a great deal of fruit production in Canada occurs and there are some fantastic wineries in the area. There is another fantastic hostel in Golden, again if you're into hosteling.

Nibog
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 21):
What he's suggesting is a very nice trip. Not only would you get to drive up the Athabasca Highway between Lake Louise and Jasper, you could spend some time in the Okanagan. The Okanagan is where a great deal of fruit production in Canada occurs and there are some fantastic wineries in the area. There is another fantastic hostel in Golden, again if you're into hosteling.

Actually sounds like a good plan,the Okanagan I think would be a good stopover point on the way to the Rockies,and maybe visit a few wineries as well,       !!!!!
By the way canoecarrier,I like your username,as years ago,the British army used DH Beavers,and I always loved to hear the sound of their engine from a long way off!!!,and if truth be told that's another reason to visit,to see floats on a Beaver!!!

Nibog
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:23 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 7):
Unless you're planning on heading cross-country up a logging road somewhere, you won't need a 4x4. In May, however, it might be a good idea to get a vehicle with snow tires -- certainly for the trip through the mountains. It can snow anytime up there, and the snow tires are far more useful than the 4x4 would be.

Further to this, a question arises as to what type of vehicle would people suggest.I like the 4x4, not for its off road capabilities,but the higher driving position and you can see more from the vehicle.I do plan however stopping as often as possible, to take it all in!!!.The car hire companies offer a full size,so for a party of 2 that would more than be ample(however the size of the party may grow,the word is getting out!!!!!!) I think.Any suggestions to what type?.If for example I was driving down the Florida Keys i would think a Ford Mustang would be an automatic choice,driving through the Rockies I am just not sure.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and ideas.

Nibog

Arrow

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 am

Quoting Nibog (Reply 23):
Further to this, a question arises as to what type of vehicle would people suggest.I like the 4x4, not for its off road capabilities,but the higher driving position and you can see more from the vehicle.I do plan however stopping as often as possible, to take it all in!!!.

The big issue is the gas. A 4x4 will always burn more of it, and that "higher" position can be a liability on curvy roads (and there are lots of curves). I dunno -- if it was me I'd go for something like a Subaru Impreza -- AWD (not 4x4) but easy on gas. Not sure if anyone rents those.

YVRLTN

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:06 am

To be honest, hiring an SUV seems to the cliche thing to do when coming to N America - "they all drive them over there, we dont have one at home, all part of the holiday experience". I know we did when I first visited with a buddy long before I knew I would live here and own an SUV then a pick up. Hertz at the time gave us an Explorer for just $15 a day more than an Impala or equivalent - seemed like a no brainer to us.

However, to fit your criteria, maybe go for a compact SUV - you will usually get an Escape. Nice enough. The Impala's and Avenger's you get are just crappy - insipid boring drive, but then again, you wont need anything else unless you go off the beaten track. Its still fairly quiet season, shop around, you will probably find a deal on an SUV for not a lot more than a midsize. But the chances are, when you go to get it, you will get a free or very attractive upgrade or there wont be any choice.

Last month we booked a compact SUV as we were 4 adults with related suitcases, camera gear et al - so an Escape / CRV etc - and we showed up, there were two Chevy Suburbans sitting there and nothing else...

canoecarrier

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 25):
However, to fit your criteria, maybe go for a compact SUV - you will usually get an Escape. Nice enough. The Impala's and Avenger's you get are just crappy - insipid boring drive, but then again, you wont need anything else unless you go off the beaten track. Its still fairly quiet season, shop around, you will probably find a deal on an SUV for not a lot more than a midsize. But the chances are, when you go to get it, you will get a free or very attractive upgrade or there wont be any choice.

Not a bad suggestion, you should also check to see if the rental car company has satellite radio installed in your car. There are many places along that route the station selection isn't that good.

Keep in mind none of that route is gravel road. It's all paved. A compact SUV will do just fine.

Nibog
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 pm

To be honest, hiring an SUV seems to the cliche thing to do when coming to N America -

Ha ha,how very true,I was in Florida one year and actually ended up with a Ford Expedition!!!!!!

, there were two Chevy Suburbans sitting there and nothing else...

and not even a pair of dark shades to go with the Suburbans!!!!!.

I like the idea of a compact SUV,to be honest.Many thanks for your thoughts,great to hear/read different opinions!!!

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 26):
Keep in mind none of that route is gravel road. It's all paved. A compact SUV will do just fine.

Great,I think i will fly into YVR,spend 3/4 days there,drive east to Kelowna,stay a night there and then head to the Rockies,6/7 days there and then onto YYC,for a night or 2 and then back to the Emerald Isle!!!!