Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pyrex
Topic Author

Show Us Your Package

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:54 am

If you have come here because you are a fan of Anthony Weiner's work, sorry to disappoint you - this thread, as the title implies, is about packages and their whereabouts.

Ever been left oddly amazed at the possibility most shipping companies give you to track your package on-line? As an admitted aircraft geek, I find it somehow fascinating.

So, where is your package? The last shipment I received was an envelope with a few documents that were FedEx-ed (Fedexed?) to me in Lisbon from someone in New York on Friday afternoon. It made it all the way from Newark to Paris and then Madrid before coming to a distribution center near Lisbon's airport before being delivered to me at 10 AM. I currently have in transit a wedding gift for a friend in Moscow that I shipped on Friday afternoon as well, coincidentally, but I believe the postal service lost the track of it as soon as it got shipped out of the country on Monday at around lunchtime.

As for the handmade carpet I am supposed to be receiving in New York, I have no idea where it is, but it should have arrived months ago so I am starting to get a bit worried...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

tz757300

RE: Show Us Your Package

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:14 am

I received my small, yet somewhat substantial package yesterday.

I won a bid on ebay for some new nikes and last week and it finally got here. It bounced around several distribution centers in PA (my sender forgot to put a state, so USPS was clueless where to send it), but it finally arrived on my doorstep.

Time to break my package in!

hOMSaR

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:34 am

I opened this thread with the specific intent of finding a picture of a box and posting it on here. But, seeing as how that would actually be the serious intent of this thread, just doesn't quite seem so funny anymore.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Pyrex
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 am

Quoting Homsar (Reply 2):

I opened this thread with the specific intent of finding a picture of a box and posting it on here. But, seeing as how that would actually be the serious intent of this thread, just doesn't quite seem so funny anymore.

Why, I would never...

...OK, I would, but please don't tell the moderators.    

ALTF4

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:16 am

We should exchange tracking numbers so we can see the status of each other's package!

I don't have any plans for package transit right now, so I don't have anything to share right now, but if I did, I would stand tall and bare all the information.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Pyrex
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 am

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 4):
We should exchange tracking numbers so we can see the status of each other's package!

And each others addresses... how much do you think UPS charges for sending a snow-globe across the country?   

YVRLTN

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting Pyrex (Thread starter):
this thread, as the title implies, is about packages
Quoting Pyrex (Thread starter):
As for the handmade carpet

Personally, I feel that packages and carpets dont mix too well...

As a freight forwarder, we ship dozens of packages every day. It is indeed a small miracle the way they zigzag across the world and arrive within 24-48 hours.

I had an incident recently where I had our accounts dept in YYZ courier a check to YVR and the postal code was V6 something or other. They made a booboo and put in V0 something, so UPS tried to deliver my package in Kitimat which is middle of the boonies in northern BC. It got stuck in YXS and they refused to return it to YVR (even though I know it routed through here on a Carson Air Fairchild Metro!!).

It is actually a pretty interesting study for plane geeks, particularly for the non big city destinations as Fedex guarantee they will deliver anywhere. All sorts of interesting types and airlines spring into action after dark, YVR comes alive with Metro's, Navajo's & Convair's.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

bj87

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 5):
how much do you think UPS charges for sending a snow-globe across the country?

Well according to a thread I recently read it should be able to rent a car and navigate itself to the delivery address, so costs would be car rental + gas = fast but pricey. 
Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 6):
It is indeed a small miracle the way they zigzag across the world and arrive within 24-48 hours.

A couple of months ago I send a package from the Netherlands to Romania. In the end the package didn't pass customs because it's contents was food and the box wasn't labeled "perishable". Didn't think syrup waffles would require that! Anyway after spending two months on planes, conveyors, trucks, mules and desks it returned home with a nice red label on it. The package looked a lot worse for ware but at least they mailed it back for me to try again, unlike most other countries which just incinerate it.   

I was supposed to get a package yesterday that was mailed on Monday. However, since TNT re branded to PostNL its overnight service is more like a two day affair so it should arrive today. The track and trace function is also a disaster lately. So no point in checking that, it will only show up once the driver starts his delivery run so you will then receive it somewhere in the next 8 hours or so.

But it is still faster than the mailing service from 25 years ago.

varigb707

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 pm

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff362/ariewardhanaputra/testi/Pac.jpg
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

ALTF4

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 8):

Excellent package! I like how the edges are slightly rounded off - shows true character and shows that the package has a story to tell. I also like how the sides are a little slanted - shows that it was not packaged perfectly, quite possibly in haste, but it amazingly still made it in one piece!

The "2/7" also shows great character - the apparent skidding action from the marker tells the story of a truly tired and worn out worker marking the packages - as does the crooked label.

Perfect is not always better!

This package is definitely a 8 stars out of 10, maybe higher! congrats!
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

varigb707

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 9):

This package is definitely a 8 stars out of 10, maybe higher! congrats!

Thanks for your input, but that ain't my package.... It's a stock photo from tinypic.com .
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

ScarletHarlot

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:16 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 6):
Personally, I feel that packages and carpets dont mix too well...

I disagree with you, but to each his (or her) own...  
But that was when I ruled the world