Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

Michael Vick Wins BET "Sportsman Of The Year"

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:53 am

http://dogblog.dogster.com/2011/06/2...ortsman-of-the-year-at-bet-awards/

Quote:
The star quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles may be phenomenal on the field. but with his recent dogfighting past, it probably wasn’t the wisest PR move Subway could have made. Yes, the award likely focuses on the sports side of a player, and not the personal life. But those tortured and maimed dogs are still fresh in many minds, and those minds may not take kindly to the association of Subway and Vick.
ORG.jpg" width="383" height="282" border="0"/>

Really? What next? Are we giving Slovadan Milosevic' the Nobel Peace Prize? I doubt those dogs thought that he was much of a sportsman.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Braniff747SP

RE: Michael Vick Wins BET "Sportsman Of The Year"

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:00 am

List this one under PR fails. Really, Subway?

Edit: or not. I just read the "update". It's not Subway who decides, they sponsor. They won't do that again.... still a PR failure.

[Edited 2011-06-28 23:02:52]
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

DocLightning
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:26 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):
Edit: or not. I just read the "update". It's not Subway who decides, they sponsor. They won't do that again.... still a PR failure.

Subway doesn't decide, but they can certainly decide to withdraw their sponsorship on account fo the fact that their award went to a convicted criminal and that no reasonable sponsor would have expected such an outcome.

But they should have made that clear from the start.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

StarAC17

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 am

List this one under PR fails. Really, Subway?

I disagree and reckon he deserves it, also this isn't ESPN or SI deciding either its BET (who else in the black community came back from what he did). He did something very wrong and paid the price and is getting on with his life. He is a very talented athlete and made an amazing comeback last year to get the Eagles within a few plays of beating the eventual Super Bowl Champs.

He has also made a huge effort in rebuilding his life and is a much more mature person because of it.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

DocLightning
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:44 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 3):
I disagree and reckon he deserves it, also this isn't ESPN or SI deciding either its BET (who else in the black community came back from what he did). He did something very wrong and paid the price and is getting on with his life.

Paid the price? Hell no. If he'd "paid the price" he would have lost his career and still be in jail. What he got was a slap on the wrist.

YOU DO NOT CAUSE PAIN TO ANIMALS OR PEOPLE FOR YOUR OWN AMUSEMENT.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:41 am

"Sportsman Of The Year"?!?!?!!?
WTF?
I'm speechless.
Bring back the Concorde

NorthstarBoy

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:54 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
Paid the price? Hell no. If he'd "paid the price" he would have lost his career and still be in jail. What he got was a slap on the wrist.

I couldn't agree more.

I'll go a step further, if i were the NFL commish, I'd have made sure that he never got another job in Pro football.

Whether they like it or not pro football players are role models and they must act accordingly at all times. Engaging in dog fighting is not acting like a role model in any sense of the word.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

BMI727

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:18 am

1. Who cares about the BET awards anyway?
2. Michael Vick wasn't a good pick for the award, but not because of the dogs.
3. This is Dirk Nowitzki's fault.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 6):
I'll go a step further, if i were the NFL commish, I'd have made sure that he never got another job in Pro football.

In a league that doesn't have a problem letting Leonard Little, Ray Lewis, and Dante Stallworth play that would be more than a little bit hypocritical.

Whether they like it or not pro football players are role models and they must act accordingly at all times.

They aren't paid to be role models, they're paid to throw a ball around a field. Allowing kids to frame all athletes as role models on life is nothing short of bad parenting.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

airtran737

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am

I hate Michael Vick, but.....

He was convicted by a jury of his peers, served his time, and has a right to make a living once again. If he has truly been reformed and believes what he is saying, then the system worked and more power to him.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

StarAC17

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:14 am

YOU DO NOT CAUSE PAIN TO ANIMALS OR PEOPLE FOR YOUR OWN AMUSEMENT.

Then by that logic all people who hunt for sport should be in jail, they harm animals as well they just don't happen to be dogs. In certain Asian countries they eat them.

He served 2 years in federal prison and has behaved well, what punishment should he get. I think what he did was horrible because I'm a huge dog lover but he paid the price for it.

What should his punishment still be?

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 8):
He was convicted by a jury of his peers, served his time, and has a right to make a living once again. If he has truly been reformed and believes what he is saying, then the system worked and more power to him.

Dead on, justice was served and he is a free man.

Roger Goodell realizes that he served his time has behaved well since being released and guess what he makes the NFL money and everyone deserves a second chance when they mess up, he's making the most of his.

He also represents the owners of the league and if 10% more people will watch or go to a game when their team hosts Philly it is his job to make sure that a still very talented player gets to play.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
1. Who cares about the BET awards anyway?

I agree if this was SI then it would be a much bigger issue.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
3. This is Dirk Nowitzki's fault.

Good on him, I think Lebron needs to get humbled just for how he handled signing with the Heat. As a Raptors fan I have no hard feelings towards Bosh leaving because he did it with some class.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:51 am

On a recent Sunday, Michael Vick appeared to sign autographs (for a price) at a sports memorabilia store in Butler, NJ. There were a few dozen protesters as to his brutality as to dogs and it cost the town a few $1000 in additional police costs.

I have long believed that Michael Vick should have never been able to return to employment in the NFL. Beyond the cruelty to animals he was deeply involved in, something very offensive to millions, he was also around felony criminals, the money bet and spent was largely from criminal revenues, and he was involved in illegal gambling at such a level that with a big loss he could have been extorted to compromise his paying in the NFL to pay back those debts.

This also hurts the credibility of BET as well as it's parent Viacom, who carries NFL games on the CBS network it also owns.

StarAC17

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 10):
I have long believed that Michael Vick should have never been able to return to employment in the NFL. Beyond the cruelty to animals he was deeply involved in, something very offensive to millions, he was also around felony criminals, the money bet and spent was largely from criminal revenues, and he was involved in illegal gambling at such a level that with a big loss he could have been extorted to compromise his paying in the NFL to pay back those debts.

The gambling is really what the NFL is worried about since heaps of money is generated in betting on games week to week, more so than what he actually did in the eyes of the NFL.

IMO if Big Ben did rape a woman which he was accused of last off season and was convicted of it then what he did was far worse than Vick because it was a crime against another human.

The reality is though he is a talented player who is talented and entertaining who makes the league some serious money, and it kind of proves the notion that Business Ethics is an oxymoron.

This also hurts the credibility of BET as well as it's parent Viacom, who carries NFL games on the CBS network it also owns.

They only air AFC games he would only be on CBS at the most twice in a given season, for this one (if there is a season) they will host the Pats in week 12 and the Jets in week 15. If Philly, NE, and the Jets are anywhere as good as last year those will be good games and guess what I'll likely be barracking Vick and the Eagles (Dolphins supporter)   .

N1120A

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm

At some point, people need to leave the guy alone. What he did was terrible, but he has shown nothing but remorse and appears rehabilitation.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

futurepilot16

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Whether they like it or not pro football players are role models and they must act accordingly at all times. Engaging in dog fighting is not acting like a role model in any sense of the word.

Bullshit, i'm sick and tired of that excuse. Parents and teachers are role models, Professional athletes play for money for our entertainment....I would hardly call that a role model. Maybe parents should be just that PARENTS and stop allowing TV and society to raise their kids!
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

D L X

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Why this thread, DocLightning? Do you normally watch BET, or are you just bringing this up for another reason to rail on Michael Vick?

So, answer this: do you believe in forgiving? Do you believe in redemption? Do you believe in paying your debt to society?

Or do you believe in forever harping on someone? Guilty forever?

And Viacom starts with V, which rhymes with C, which is the first letter in CRIMINAL.

Dreadnought

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 14):

You miss the point. 1) BET is holding Vick up as someone to admire - ergo someone for young people to emulate. That should be an award reserved to persons of consistently good character.

And 2) Would you have voted for Barack Obama for President if he had previously been convicted and jailed for animal cruelty, wife-beating or some other form of cruelty (which is typically a sign of sociopathic personality)? Even if he had served his time, it would hardly speak well of him.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

sw733

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:21 pm

If he'd "paid the price" he would have lost his career and still be in jail.

Explain to me why a lot of people who kill other PEOPLE (such as in DUIs, etc.) get less jail time and easier sentences than Vick did...

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 9):
I think what he did was horrible because I'm a huge dog lover but he paid the price for it.

Same way. I love dogs, and I have a pup who is like a child to me...what he did was atrocious. He did the crime, but he did the time. He came back and did pretty darn good when he played most times. Life goes on...

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 15):
And 2) Would you have voted for Barack Obama for President if he had previously been convicted and jailed for animal cruelty, wife-beating or some other form of cruelty (which is typically a sign of sociopathic personality)? Even if he had served his time, it would hardly speak well of him.

Wow...comparing an NFL QB to the President of the United States...that's laughable at best. Apples and oranges, Dreadnought, apples and oranges.

sw733

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:22 pm

if i were the NFL commish, I'd have made sure that he never got another job in Pro football.

if we're banning athletes because they committed crimes, goodbye:

NFL
NBA
MLB
NHL

Sweet, MLS is now the national sport! Awesome...

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 8):

and he was involved in illegal gambling at such a level that with a big loss he could have been extorted to compromise his paying in the NFL to pay back those debts.

The key word being "could".

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
At some point, people need to leave the guy alone. What he did was terrible, but he has shown nothing but remorse and appears rehabilitation.

Any decent parent would have the common sense to ensure their kid does not use Michael Vick as a role model.

And Viacom starts with V, which rhymes with C, which is the first letter in CRIMINAL.

Um, what?

Here's possibly a better comparison: I wouldn't vote for Michael Vick if he was running for president. What that has to do with him winning a BET sportsman award, I do not know.

If BET wants to give him an award, and make him out as someone to admire, then whatever, it's their choice. It's still up to parents to actually parent their children, not Michael Vick or BET.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

GQfluffy

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:05 pm

It's BET, what do you expect?
This isn't where I parked my car...

aa61hvy

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 19):
It's BET, what do you expect?

I agree. BET caters to a specific demographic. IMO I think this demographic was more sympathetic to Vick than the rest of the population. I am glad he appears to have made a change, but the fact of the matter is can't change what had happened.

Now if this was 5-10 years from now I'd have a lot less of a problem. But a little soon to me.
Go big or go home

D L X

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:17 pm

1) BET is holding Vick up as someone to admire - ergo someone for young people to emulate.

Where did you read that?

And even if it is the case that BET is giving this award to someone with the hopes that young people will emulate, please explain why he is undeserving of this award. There are a lot of people who do bad things in this world, and unfortunately, a lot of them are in the Black community - my community. I say YES, I want people who have done bad things to realize they can make a life U-turn and return to being good. I do not want them to think that it is better to just continue being bad because the world is going to hate them anyway.

So yes - Vick IS someone to emulate if you've done bad things in the past. Right your wrongs and get back in the game.

Like Vick.

And 2) Would you have voted for Barack Obama for President if he had previously been convicted and jailed for animal cruelty, wife-beating or some other form of cruelty (which is typically a sign of sociopathic personality)?

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take this comment seriously...

What I see here is actually a character assassination of Subway, actually. That's the target of this moronic article. It's not Vick. It's not even BET. Or Viacom. Dogster is trying to target Subway via a very tenuous affiliation with Vick.

NIKV69

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 17):
if we're banning athletes because they committed crimes, goodbye:

NFL
NBA
MLB
NHL

Sweet, MLS is now the national sport! Awesome...

Oh God no, I think the Women's WC is more exciting.

Why this thread, DocLightning? Do you normally watch BET, or are you just bringing this up for another reason to rail on Michael Vick?

So, answer this: do you believe in forgiving? Do you believe in redemption? Do you believe in paying your debt to society?

I believe Vick did his time but this award is a little ridiculous.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

D L X

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 20):
Now if this was 5-10 years from now I'd have a lot less of a problem. But a little soon to me.

Somehow I doubt that.

If something that happened 3+ years ago to someone you don't know and didn't involve events that actually personally touched you is still "fresh in your mind" as the saying goes, it will always be fresh in your mind.

But hey, some people just don't want to forgive, so they resist.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):
But they should have made that clear from the start.

Why do you still attach blame to Subway?

aa61hvy

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 23):
Somehow I doubt that.

If something that happened 3+ years ago to someone you don't know and didn't involve events that actually personally touched you is still "fresh in your mind" as the saying goes, it will always be fresh in your mind.

But hey, some people just don't want to forgive, so they resist.

So YOU are telling ME how I interpret and process things in my head? Alrighty then.
Go big or go home

D L X

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 24):
So YOU are telling ME how I interpret and process things in my head? Alrighty then.

If I'm not being fair (to you or anyone else) please feel free to correct me.

But it does make one wonder why 5 more years is okay while 3 years isn't. The only thing that I see changing is Vick going to more Pro Bowls.

aa61hvy

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 25):
But it does make one wonder why 5 more years is okay while 3 years isn't. The only thing that I see changing is Vick going to more Pro Bowls

Time heals all is my point. As I said above I am very glad he is making changes in his life. But human nature makes it tough for us to completely forget. I may like him more if he didn't play for Philly (one of my most hated teams in any sport). I respect the changes he made, but sometimes it's better to lay low for a long while (I acknowledge he didn't ask for the award).
Go big or go home

N867DA

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:47 pm

He won a prize for Sportsman of the Year, not a trophy for Lifetime Dog Lover. He can committed a crime, paid the price, and now he can move on. Yeah, what he did was horrible, but frankly so is chucking a live lobster in a pot or shooting bears with cubs for sport.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

DocLightning
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 9):
He served 2 years in federal prison and has behaved well, what punishment should he get. I think what he did was horrible because I'm a huge dog lover but he paid the price for it.

Given that he was never even tried for animal cruelty and was only convicted of illegal gambling, a hell of a lot more. He electrocuted dogs and threw them in the water and did other things while he watched and laughed.

Someone like that is dangerous to humans. If you can do that to a dog, you can do it to a human.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

sw733

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:16 pm

BET caters to a specific demographic

In other news, the pope is indeed Catholic!  
Quoting N867DA (Reply 27):
but frankly so is chucking a live lobster in a pot or shooting bears with cubs for sport.

I definitely agree with this comparison.

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 28):
Someone like that is dangerous to humans. If you can do that to a dog, you can do it to a human.

So we should give him life in prison, or the death penalty?   

It's not Vick's fault that they didn't convict him for cruelty to animals.

And I hate to say it, as I love dogs, but your 2nd sentence simply isn't true. For many people, dogs and other animals do not rate the same as humans.

Hell, I kill mosquitoes and other flies all the time. Wouldn't think of doing it to a human.

But to me, it sounds like your problem is with our justice system, not with BET, Vick, or Subway.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

D L X

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
I believe Vick did his time but this award is a little ridiculous.

Why?

Given that he was never even tried for animal cruelty and was only convicted of illegal gambling, a hell of a lot more.

Uh no. He was convicted (there was no trial) under a federal dog fighting offense with heightened RICO punishment. In particular, the "victimization and killing of pit bulls" was considered as aggravating circumstances that led prosecutors to exceed the federal sentencing guidelines for the charge. Don't get hung up in the legalese.

If you can do that to a dog, you can do it to a human.

BALONEY!!!!

Do you know what butchers do to cows and pigs? Do you know how we kill turkeys and chickens? Hell, even our harvesting of plants for food is pretty violent. I mean, have you ever been near a combine? What about the kid that fries ants with a magnifying glass? What about people (most of us!) that step on bugs and spiders when they're in our houses? What about people that put up those electrifying bug-catchers outside their barbeque? Are these people all serial killers in waiting? I mean, if you can do that to a cow or a pig, you can do it to a human right?

No. Of course not. It is an utterly ridiculous comment that because someone can do something inhumane to an animal means that they are even slightly more likely to be inhumane to a person.

D L X

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 pm

I agree. BET caters to a specific demographic.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the NFL also named Vick the comeback player of the year this year. And they don't cater to a specific demographic. The idea of lauding a person who has made great efforts to redeem himself should not be chided.

NIKV69

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 31):
Why?

He lost to GB in the first round!

No. Of course not. It is an utterly ridiculous comment that because someone can do something inhumane to an animal means that they are even slightly more likely to be inhumane to a person

It's not black and white but doin what he did to those dogs does show a bit of depravity to life in general.

D L X

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 33):
Why?

He lost to GB in the first round!

HAHAHAHAH

Nice one.

stratosphere

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Remorse? Sorry I don't see it. Is he sorry he got caught you bet he is. DLX has asked in a previous post does anyone believe in forgiveness. Well I do not believe in forgiveness for several things rape, murder, torture of animals and crimes against children. Do I believe he should be allowed to earn a living again..Yes. But not the NFL making millions. I working in aviation would never be allowed to work in it again if I was ever convicted of a felony. Problem is the NFL and all the other sports franchises turn their heads to Vick and others who commit crimes and sometimes violent ones all because the player in question brings in the money. Its all about the money and the crime be damned. Let him make a living flipping burgers like other ex cons.

[Edited 2011-06-29 14:32:18]

fxramper

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Move on already. Vick served hard time. Move on. Next.

KGRB

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Viacom no longer owns CBS. The two companies split some time ago. The current parent of CBS is CBS Corporation. But even if they were still sister networks, I don't really think you could blame CBS for this one.
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 ATL-MSN January 2021

futurepilot16

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:01 am

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 35):
Remorse? Sorry I don't see it. Is he sorry he got caught you bet he is. DLX has asked in a previous post does anyone believe in forgiveness. Well I do not believe in forgiveness for several things rape, murder, torture of animals and crimes against children.

Well maybe you need to sit down and take a long hard look on your own life and opinions. Stop being such a drag on life. Oh....and the fact that you put torture of animals in the same category as rape, murder and crimes against children, destroys all your credibility right away.

Let him make a living flipping burgers like other ex cons.

Are you sure it's about being a convict why you hate him? Funny that there are tons of millionaires who have committed white collar crimes and have been sent to Jail and served their time, but i'm sure you wouldn't say the same about them!

and did other things while he watched and laughed.

Says you. I'm sure you sit back and have this grand evil picture in your head of Michael Vick monstrously killing dogs, but how do you know it was like that?
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

StarAC17

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 30):
And I hate to say it, as I love dogs, but your 2nd sentence simply isn't true. For many people, dogs and other animals do not rate the same as humans.

Correct, in some Asian countries dogs are food, its disgusting to us but they is their reality.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no, I would tend to worry if a person is killing animals for kicks or fulfilling some psychopath desire.

Also to put things in perspective Vick was never convicted to killing dogs himself he was convicted of gambling and financing dog fighting rings.

Even if he did kill dogs I ask what then separates him from someone who hunts for sport? Is it the fact that the animal he is killing is a common pet while the hunter kills a wild animal.

Quoting D L X (Reply 32):
Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the NFL also named Vick the comeback player of the year this year. And they don't cater to a specific demographic. The idea of lauding a person who has made great efforts to redeem himself should not be chided.

If Tom Brady didn't have such a good season he may have been named MVP as that was going around the sports radio circuit last season.

ltbewr

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 am

BET should have done as they have in the past and chosen someone who does a lot in the communities they live in, lives a 'clean' life, is a good father and role model. Vick did pay a price, although to me a too small one for his crimes and has lived 'clean' since his return but to 'reward' him at this time is questionable.

BMI727

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:13 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 46):
BET should have done as they have in the past and chosen someone who does a lot in the communities they live in, lives a 'clean' life, is a good father and role model.

Then it isn't really a Sportsman of the Year award is it?

Besides it sets a horrible double standard to continually crucify Vick while turning a blind eye towards the likes of Ray Lewis, Leonard Little, and Dante Stallworth. Not to mention the outpouring of sadness and tributes for Chris Henry who killed himself in a shirtless truck surfing accident while trying to chase down his girlfriend.

Really, Subway?

Frankly, I don't want to see sponsors get to call the shots on things like this. Obviously networks have to be somewhat sensitive to sponsors, but I don't want to see sponsors having veto power on these issues.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

NIKV69

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 34):
HAHAHAHAH

Nice one.

Not for Philly fans, they win that game they go all the way. Vick had to show up and rise to the occasion. Eagles are too good.

acidradio

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:08 am

Let's end the personal attacks in this thread. Or I will close it. Thank you!
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

StarAC17

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 42):
Not for Philly fans, they win that game they go all the way. Vick had to show up and rise to the occasion. Eagles are too good.

Who knows but in terms of raw talent in the NFC I agree those 2 teams are the best. I reckon was GB's toughest game in the playoffs they owned every team after that even IMO beating the Steelers was easier for the Packers (based on matchups directly) than beating Phlly.

Problem is the NFL and all the other sports franchises turn their heads to Vick and others who commit crimes and sometimes violent ones all because the player in question brings in the money. Its all about the money and the crime be damned. Let him make a living flipping burgers like other ex cons.

That's how business works mate, and sometime this happens like it or not. Vick is a a gifted athlete and he still (no matter how hated he may be) sells Jerseys and makes people who love him or despise him watch or attend (I watch Jets games to see if they'll lose because I can't stand their trash talking).

This also applies to White collar criminals, when they get out of the joint firms will hire them again because they have proven that they can make money, it sucks but it is life.

sw733

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 44):
makes people who love him or despise him watch

Not to mention I won my fantasy football league last year in part because I had Vick on my roster...that was a cool $300 thanks to him!

D L X

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Looks like more respected entities are taking note of Vick's change after his incarceration: Nike just re-signed him.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/nike-sign...ck-endorsement-deal-185554489.html

There will always be people who will never forgive, but in my mind, it is good to see that there are some who can bury the hatchet.

NIKV69

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 46):
There will always be people who will never forgive, but in my mind, it is good to see that there are some who can bury the hatchet.

Has nothing to do with that. It's money. Nike knows the amount of people who disregard what the thugs of the NFL do outnumber animal lovers so they will end up making a profit in the short term.

D L X

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 47):
Has nothing to do with that. It's money. Nike knows the amount of people who disregard what the thugs of the NFL do outnumber animal lovers so they will end up making a profit in the short term.

And that is not at all inconsistent with what I said. The advertisers are the bellwethers. If they're saying let's get back on the Vick train, it's because they know the public largely has.