Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ghYHZ
Topic Author

William & Kate......How Are They Flying?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:13 am

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Ottawa this afternoon (June 30)……but how are they flying? Commercial? Or will it be a Canadian or British aircraft. There will also be internal flights within Canada to Montreal, Quebec City, Charlottetown & Summerside Prince Edward Island, Yellowknife and Calgary before departing for Los Angeles on July 8.

Ronaldo747

RE: William & Kate......How Are They Flying?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 am

I've heard they wanted to fly commercial to Canada. First Class, of course.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:40 am

Just seen a Canadian Air Force A310 depart 27R. That could be the answer

YOWguy

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:34 pm

I presume that the flight can't be tracked on any flight trackers...as I was hoping to listen to the approach to YOW on a public feed.

UA777lover

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Canada is the only Commonwealth country that provids flights for the Royals. They arrived on a Canadian Forces plane and I believe that while in Canada, the air force will continue to fly them. Can't say what will happen when they go to LAX.

YYZYYT

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Quoting 747438 (Reply 2):
Just seen a Canadian Air Force A310 depart 27R. That could be the

*Ahem* surely you meant to say that you had just seen a "Canadian Air Force C-150 Polaris" depart...

AF1624

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:54 pm

I really wonder how the tax payers in Canada and the UK find it in themselves to continue paying for such lunacy. If it were the Queen, I'd be almost prepared to accept it... but C'mon.
Cheers

saloman

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:58 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 5):
*Ahem* surely you meant to say that you had just seen a "Canadian Air Force C-150 Polaris" depart...

Double Ahem, Canadian military has amalgamated the different branches, so it would be Canadian Forces CC-150 Polaris. Long live the RCAF!

YYZYYT

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Quoting saloman (Reply 7):
Double Ahem, Canadian military has amalgamated the different branches, so it would be Canadian Forces CC-150 Polaris. Long live the RCAF!

"D'oh! Stupid Poetic Justice!"

AirbusA6

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:39 pm

More importantly, how will they get back on Saturday night, to watch Andy Murray win Wimbledon 
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

nordair737242c

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:49 pm

Quoting AirbusA6 (Reply 9):
More importantly, how will they get back on Saturday night, to watch Andy Murray win Wimbledon

Watch it live on TSN like the rest of us......LOL   

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 6):
I really wonder how the tax payers in Canada and the UK find it in themselves to continue paying for such lunacy. If it were the Queen, I'd be almost prepared to accept it... but C'mon.

As a Canadian taxpayer i say welcome Kate and William... We don't find it lunacy.... We treat people with respect
DC8, DC9, md8X, B727-2, B737-2/4/7, B747-2, B767-2/3, A319, 320, 321, 330, 340 L1011-1/500 - AA, CP, Nordair, US, AC,

greaser

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:53 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-leave-for-Canada-royal-tour.html

There's a video of them boarding in the C-150 Polaris w/takeoff...
Now you're really flying

MattRB

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Quoting nordair737242c (Reply 10):
As a Canadian taxpayer i say welcome Kate and William...

As a Canadian taxpayer, I find it appalling that we're paying for this when the government is cutting funding to arts programs and claiming poverty. There is no reason that they cannot pay for this trip themselves, instead of having us foot the bill.

It's great that they want to visit the country, but they can open their own wallet to do so.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Quoting MattRB (Reply 12):
As a Canadian taxpayer, I find it appalling that we're paying for this when the government is cutting funding to arts programs and claiming poverty. There is no reason that they cannot pay for this trip themselves, instead of having us foot the bill.

It's great that they want to visit the country, but they can open their own wallet to do so.

As a naturalized Canadian citizen and a member of the CF, I find it appaling that you have such little respect for this country's history and heritage. It's not about these two people. It's about the institution. Canada has an unbroken line of monarchs stretching back to the first French settlers arriving on these shores.

And if all you care about is cost, the monarchy (and their representatives) are most certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than the services provided to say the POTUS or the President of the French Republic.

CrimsonNL

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Quoting greaser (Reply 11):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-leave-for-Canada-royal-tour.html

There's a video of them boarding in the C-150 Polaris w/takeoff...

That's a good video thanks! Prince William is one lucky guy, with a wife like that and getting to fly such an awesome airplane.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting Ronaldo747 (Reply 1):

Nonsense.

Quoting ghYHZ (Thread starter):
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Ottawa this afternoon (June 30)……but how are they flying? Commercial? Or will it be a Canadian or British aircraft. There will also be internal flights within Canada to Montreal, Quebec City, Charlottetown & Summerside Prince Edward Island, Yellowknife and Calgary before departing for Los Angeles on July 8.

As members of the Canadian Royal Family, it is normally customary that they travel onboard Canadian Forces VIP aircraft from 437 Squadron (CC-150 Polaris) or 412 Squadron (CC-144 Challenger) or helicopters from 1 Wing while undertaking official duties on behalf of the Crown.

chuchoteur

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Actually the blame probably lies with your (elected) officials.

The Royals fly commercial these days... I presume Canada offered the use of the C-150. And it would have been inpolite to refuse no?  

Now the fact that elected officials are inconsistent in what they do is the same the world over... *sigh

WrenchBender

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Long live the RCAF!

Sorry the RCAF died in Feb 1968   
it is a CAF (Canadian Armed Forces) CC-150 Polaris aircraft.     

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 16):
Actually the blame probably lies with your (elected) officials.

The Royals fly commercial these days... I presume Canada offered the use of the C-150. And it would have been inpolite to refuse no?

Now the fact that elected officials are inconsistent in what they do is the same the world over... *sigh

It has nothing to do with the elected officials. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are responsible for their travel and security arrangements (as they are for all official state VIPs and guests) and generally speaking they prefer exclusive transport. The Pope was flown in on a CF helicopter for World Youth Day, as was directed by the RCMP. And there is generally a strong preference that as a future Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces, the prince should travel on Canadian Forces aircraft.

golfradio

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:37 pm

I just don't see the reason why I should be paying for members of the Royal family. It is unjustifiable.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 13):
I find it appaling that you have such little respect for this country's history and heritage. It's not about these two people. It's about the institution

It's not about the institution. I can still understand the protocol for HM the Queen as she continues to be the Head of the State. But exending it to other members of the Royal family is not acceptable.
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

RamblinMan

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 13):
And if all you care about is cost, the monarchy (and their representatives) are most certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than the services provided to say the POTUS or the President of the French Republic.

The difference being that the French and American Presidents are actually the executives of their respective governments.

We've got celebrities in the US too, but they don't travel on my dime.

Aesma

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 13):
are most certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than the services provided to say the POTUS or the President of the French Republic.

But you also have a prime minister to move around (well, we've got one too in France).

I do question the expenses of my president, and I find the expenses of the POTUS insane (VC-25 + C5/C17 etc), but at least I can myself be elected president. I can never be king.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

FRAIAD

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:47 pm

I've read in a newspaper here in the U.S. that they will fly back from LAX on a commercial BA flight.

YYZRWY23

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:48 pm

I 100% agree with you. This si not something I should be paying for. I support paying for their security and safety, as we do for all visits from Heads of State, royals, etc. However, if they want to travel to Canada, I feel that the Monarch should be paying.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 13):
that you have such little respect for this country's history and heritage.

I don't think there is any disrespect for the institution, more that when there are so many economic and social problems at home, paying for the transportation of the royal couple should not be done. And as posted above, William is IN LINE to be the King, and future Head of State for Canada. He is not yet, Queen Elizabeth II is. I have no issues paying for her transport to/from/in Canada as she is the Head of State.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 18):
And there is generally a strong preference that as a future Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces

Incorrect statement. The Prince will never, even as King, be the Commander-in-Chief. The Commander in Chief is the Governor General, the Queen's representative in Canada. The current GG and Commander in Chief is David Johnston.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting golfradio (Reply 19):
It's not about the institution. I can still understand the protocol for HM the Queen as she continues to be the Head of the State. But exending it to other members of the Royal family is not acceptable.

He's third in line to the throne and he's here on an official state visit, not a vacation. We don't pay for them when they are vacationing here (say the last time he was in Whistler when he was 15).

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 20):
The difference being that the French and American Presidents are actually the executives of their respective governments.

No the difference is that you mix the roles of the head of government and the head of state. We don't.

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 20):

We've got celebrities in the US too, but they don't travel on my dime.

Good for you. I'd rather your republican ways stayed south of the 49th parallel.

eastern747

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:55 pm

lWell, I'm glad to say someone said it. How much do you think it cost US taxpapers to send Potus flying around the world with 2 747's and backup aircraft and flights to get ready for arrival? Roosevelt went to Warm Springs, GA bt train. Harry went to Key West. Ike went to Getteysburg or Camp David. Regan and Dicky went to Ca. JFK Palm Beach and Mass. Bush to TX. This guy goes to HNL!!!!!!In his news conference he complained about corporate jets. Guess what? after the next election he'll be luckly to even get a small jet.He uses AF1, like it's no big deal. Does he really need to go out west to visit an airplane parts factory... Enough rant. If GB and Canada want to use a Canada a/c , it's their business. Didn't the French president just get a new plane? I'm showing some ignorance here, but I didn't recognize what kind of plane that was. The colors threw me off...regards PS. Mrs. P had a 767? to Africa, was that trip neccessary?

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 21):
But you also have a prime minister to move around (well, we've got one too in France).

And he travels on the same VVIP transports that are used to move around the Royals. We don't keep special aircraft just for occasions of royal state visits.

I do question the expenses of my president, and I find the expenses of the POTUS insane (VC-25 + C5/C17 etc), but at least I can myself be elected president. I can never be king.

That's fine. And I don't see any need to have your traditions imposed on us. Just because France or the US got rid of the monarchy doesn't mean that every other nation should follow suit. I quite like having a non-partisan governor-general representing the Queen.

golfradio

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 24):
He's third in line to the throne

He's *third* in line to the *throne*. Not yet Head of State of Canada.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 24):
he's here on an official state visit

In what capacity?
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

Worldliner

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Are they not flying on monarch?  
@777Worldliner

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Quoting YYZRWY23 (Reply 23):
Incorrect statement. The Prince will never, even as King, be the Commander-in-Chief. The Commander in Chief is the Governor General, the Queen's representative in Canada. The current GG and Commander in Chief is David Johnston

Ummm no. The Constitution Act of 1867 and the Militia Act of 1904 both specifically stipulate that the Monarch is the Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces. It is for this reason that members of the CF pledged loyalty to the Queen in right of Canada, and not the Governor General. It is also for this reason that the monarch receives the full royal salute. In Canada, we do not separate the roles of the head of state and commander-in-chief. Hence it is tradition that the GG acting as the Queen's representative in the role of the head of state also acts as commander-in-chief of the CF.

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Quoting golfradio (Reply 28):
In what capacity?

In their capacity as members of the Canadian Royal Family. His participation in the granting of Freedom of the City ceremony to the Van Doos in Quebec City, opening of the Calgary Stampede, visit to the Canadian Rangers in the Arctic and several other events are all part of his official duties (a schedule determined by the government, not by him).

If he came on a ski trip, he would be entitled to close protection and that's it.

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 26):
lWell, I'm glad to say someone said it. How much do you think it cost US taxpapers to send Potus flying around the world with 2 747's and backup aircraft and flights to get ready for arrival? Roosevelt went to Warm Springs, GA bt train. Harry went to Key West. Ike went to Getteysburg or Camp David. Regan and Dicky went to Ca. JFK Palm Beach and Mass. Bush to TX. This guy goes to HNL!!!!!!In his news conference he complained about corporate jets. Guess what? after the next election he'll be luckly to even get a small jet.He uses AF1, like it's no big deal. Does he really need to go out west to visit an airplane parts factory... Enough rant.
Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 26):
If GB and Canada want to use a Canada a/c , it's their business. Didn't the French president just get a new plane? I'm showing some ignorance here, but I didn't recognize what kind of plane that was. The colors threw me off...regards PS. Mrs. P had a 767? to Africa, was that trip neccessary?

This is what I don't get. Every time there's a royal visit people complain about the costs. Yet, we don't actually spend that much. The same squadron that flies the Prime Minister and his cabinet around uses a few flight hours transporting the Royals around. It should be noted that the same two squadrons also perform general military trasnport duties (cargo and personnel) in addition to their VVIP roles. By no means do our VVIP transport aircraft have exclusive roles like the executive transport fleets of the USA or say the President of France. The same aircraft are used to transport military personnel to places like Afghanistan.

eastern747

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm

When the POPE travels, he uses Alitaila to his destination. For the return flight it is an airline from the country visited. Friends were the F/A's to the POPE a number of years ago when he returned from Canada. The F/C was refitted with only several seats, a bed and table of 4.... Guess so the boys can play poker and have a cigar with brandy...They indicated he was no problem at all as were his staff.

YYZYYT

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:41 pm

But you CAN marry a prince and become queen one day.

I am generally behind the institution of the monarchy, and all that it represents for Canada, even though I am far from a "monarchist". There are times when the state should be "leading trump" and waving the flag, and this is absolutely one of them. I find it perfectly appropriate that Canadian Forces transport the Candian royal family when on official business in Canada.

Matt RB - we are all entitled to our opinions, but I would say this to you: "two wrongs don't make a right"; I agree with your point of view about cuts to funding for the arts, but don't think that cutting other worthwhile expenditures will cure that problem.

speedbird9

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:42 pm

nice video from BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13974601

and good luck to the new royal couple!!!

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 33):
When the POPE travels, he uses Alitaila to his destination. For the return flight it is an airline from the country visited. Friends were the F/A's to the POPE a number of years ago when he returned from Canada. The F/C was refitted with only several seats, a bed and table of 4.... Guess so the boys can play poker and have a cigar with brandy...They indicated he was no problem at all as were his staff.

I meant inside Canada. While here for World Youth Day, he was transported on CF helicopters, a courtesy he is entitled to as a visiting head of state.

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Just saw the Polaris over Gatineau. They're here.

ytz

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 34):
Matt RB - we are all entitled to our opinions, but I would say this to you: "two wrongs don't make a right"; I agree with your point of view about cuts to funding for the arts, but don't think that cutting other worthwhile expenditures will cure that problem.

Not just that. Royal visits are cheap in comparison to our other ceremonial stunts.

Just imagine how much the Snowbirds cost to keep in service. We keep an entire engineering and sustainment team in place for a fleet the rest of the CF doesn't operate. It would probably yield the CF a half or full extra fighter squadron. No small potatoes for an air force with only two fighter squadrons.

Next, our mounted police who don't really do much mounted stuff anymore also spend millions on horses, their training facilities, and the training of riders in scarlett tunics and riding boots just to put on a show.

If people want to save money by cutting on expenditures of our heritage, I can think of several places that would yield a lot more than a $1.4 million royal tour.

rikkus67

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 5):
Double Ahem, Canadian military has amalgamated the different branches, so it would be Canadian Forces CC-150 Polaris.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Vanderheyden

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Brook-CYYZ Aviation Photography

Let's give a little bit of leeway... CC-150 Polaris, numbers 15001, 15002, 15003 all served with Wardair/Canadi>n... so calling it by it's airliner designation isn't completely wrong, considering the heritage!

How many CC-150's does the CF have? 3, or 5? Also... if it is 5, what is the history of the other two?

Although I am not very much on a Royal Watcher, I do hope Will & Kate have a GREAT time in COWTOWN (Calgary)!!
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Quoting worldliner (Reply 29):
Are they not flying on monarch?

I think the expenses involved in this trip are a drop in the bucket.

The whole thing is a tempest in a teacup.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Centre

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:36 pm

what a waste of money!!!
Since I have been living in the Toronto area for the last 5 years, if I have the option of not paying taxes for the welfare of these people who are imposed on us and instead give TRIPLE the amount to charity, I will definitely do that.

It's 2011, and we are still dealing with Monarchies!!!
I have cut 4 times, and it's still short.

sshd

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Quoting AirbusA6 (Reply 9):

Maybe, but not this year, Nadal will kick him out  

joelyboy911

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Quoting UA777lover (Reply 4):
Canada is the only Commonwealth country that provids flights for the Royals.

Not true, Prince William was flown on an RNZAF 757-2K2 on his last visit to the antipodes. Not for the entire voyage, but New Zealand did, nonetheless, provide the flights, in fact I believe he was afforded use of the RAAF's 737BBJ on the same trip.
Flown: NZ, NY, SJ, QF, UA, AC, EI, BE, TP, AF

Dash9

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting nordair737242c (Reply 10):
As a Canadian taxpayer i say welcome Kate and William...

As a Canadian taxpayer I consider them parasites.

ba286

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 25):
Good for you. I'd rather your republican ways stayed south of the 49th parallel.

I'd rather you stay north of the border, it would be a shame welcoming you in our country. Why dont you go have tea with your "friends" from Britain.

Quoting Dash9 (Reply 44):

E190 A318 A319 A320 A343 ATR42 717 732 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 772 DC-10 MD-11

brilondon

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 6):

He is still royalty and he is our future king and as such he should be given all the respect due him.

Quoting golfradio (Reply 19):
I just don't see the reason why I should be paying for members of the Royal family. It is unjustifiable.

It is our Royal family. We are hosting them and thus, we should be paying for their security and safty. It is less expensive to have them flying on our military aircraft then it is to have security for their flying commericial. If they did fly commercial there would be such a three ringed circus around them and that it would be rediculous.

This si not something I should be paying for. I support paying for their security and safety, as we do for all visits from Heads of State, royals, etc. However, if they want to travel to Canada, I feel that the Monarch should be paying.

Since they are our future monarch, they should be treated like such and be given all the benefits of such.

The Prince will never, even as King, be the Commander-in-Chief. The Commander in Chief is the Governor General, the Queen's representative in Canada. The current GG and Commander in Chief is David Johnston.
Quoting YTZ (Reply 36):
I meant inside Canada. While here for World Youth Day, he was transported on CF helicopters, a courtesy he is entitled to as a visiting head of state.
Quoting FRAIAD (Reply 22):
I've read in a newspaper here in the U.S. that they will fly back from LAX on a commercial BA flight.

No they ae not flying on a commerical flight. They won't be having to go through the crappy LAX like the rest of us and I suspect that they will be in a secure area of LAX when they do board their aircraft to go back home. Yes, it is a BA aircraft but it is for the royal family. The Queen has flown on a BA 777 when she was visiting other countries.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

mariner

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting Ronaldo747 (Reply 1):

Why "First Class, of course"? Prince William has often flown economy, using the code name William Pinkerton Smith.

mariner
aeternum nauta

CPDC10-30

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:40 pm

You are entitled to your opinion. But as a former Canadian taxpayer, I think it is fantastic that they have chosen Canada as their first official overseas destination. It brings all kinds of international press attention to Canada that would otherwise be lacking. And glad to see they arriving in style in the CC-150 Polaris.

At Trenton Air Cadet camp I got a ride on the CC-130E Hercules (which was awesome), but the Basic camp kids got a flight over Niagara Falls on the Polaris  

bond007

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Then let's hope you never to get to share in the profits from the increased tourism and media hype surrounding their trip.

Just like the Royal Family brings in millions of tourism pounds to London ... the costs are a small expense to pay.

Canada will see media attention like rarely before .... but if you don't like the money those 'parasites' are bringing in to your country, then I guess it's your right to do so.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!