Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Any Favourite Alcoholic Beverage?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:40 pm

IH8BY

RE: Any Favourite Alcoholic Beverage?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:50 pm

I don't keep much alcohol in the house; I try and have a bottle of wine to hand for cooking purposes, and that's about it.

The current exception is that I have a 75cl bottle of Pimm's No.1 in the cupboard. With lemonade (I don't like my Pimm's too strong), mint, cucumber, and a variety of fruit it's the ideal choice for a sunny day with the doors onto the balcony open. Note to UK members - 1 litre bottles of Pimm's are currently under £10 at Tesco.

I had some decent port the other day and was surprised to find that I really liked it.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

falstaff

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
Any favourite alcoholic beverage ?

Beer and lots of it!

I have drank just under 900 different commercially available beers (been keeping track since I was 17). I only had three I didn't like. 900 sounds like a lot, but it is just a drop in the bucket compared to all the great beers left to try in this world.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

signol

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:09 pm

I like a nice cold German or Czech beer. Some English real ales are also very nice, but some are also rough - it seems like pot luck, even with the same brew, if you'll get a good one or a bad one.
I also like a nice port, and sherry, and was introduced to limoncello by a Spanish restauranteur in San Jose, Cabo da Gata, gratis after pizza. I bought a very nice bottle in TLV duty free!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

B6JFKH81

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:11 pm

I fell in LOVE with this stuff, and enjoy it well chilled as a sipping drink:

"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Mortyman
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am

Can anyone tell me the difference between blanco and the golden brown Tequila ? Is the golden brown more matured ?

gabrielchew

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:36 pm

When I'm flying, I find that a minature G&T (50 ml gin, 150ml tonic) is just perfect. BA serves Gordons and Schwepps, which tastes pretty good, but you could subsitute th Gordons for Tanquery or Grey Goose (vodka, I know).

At home, in the summer, you can't beat a tasty cold blonde beer. My fridge is full of Hoegaarden at the moment, but am off to Belgium this weekend, so after trying a few, hopefully I'll have a few more new favourite brands in stock soon.

On a cold winters night, a hot chocolate with amaretto and marshmallows is quite nice.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 6):
At home, in the summer, you can't beat a tasty cold blonde beer. My fridge is full of Hoegaarden at the moment, but am off to Belgium this weekend, so after trying a few, hopefully I'll have a few more new favourite brands in stock soon.

Great beers in Belgium. You should try Stella Artois and Jupiler

signol

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 7):
Stella Artois

In the UK, also known as "wifebeater"...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

eicvd

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Beer, more specificaly budweiser & a bottle at that, just cant drink pints of the stuff.
COYBIB

CplKlinger

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:45 pm

I can't stomach beer, but bring on the hard stuff:

Vodka -Stolichnaya: Put it in the freezer and drink it straight.

Scotch - Chivas Regal

Crown Royal Dark - mix it with Coke Zero and it's perfect.

Tequila - Jose Cuervo, straight.

Those are all, save the tequila, are currently in my kitchen, ready for tonights festivities. I wish I had this apple-based whiskey my brother has, but alas, I do not. Would definitely liven up the evening.

sunshine79

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:46 pm

I love cider. I used to hate the taste but suddenly discovered a taste for it a couple of years ago and drink it all the time when I'm out.

In the terms of spirits I love vodka, but has to be either Smirnoff, Glenns or Vladivar, I don't like any other make as I have a terrible hangover the next morning.

As for cocktails, I love Mojito or a Cosmopolitian
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

YYZflyer

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm not really a fan of beer, I can have 2 at most. I can't get drunk off it either. My favourites are Heineken and Hoegaarden.

I love hard liquor. Vodka, whiskey, rum, tequila, it's all good. I'm not picky on the brand, except Red Label. That stuff is nasty.   
I love Absinthe too. I managed to get a bottle when I was in Prague last summer.

I'm on a hunt for some Everclear, the stuff that's 95 or 97%. I'm hoping I can get some in Amsterdam or Germany this summer, though I have my doubts..
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

sw733

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Completely depends on my mood or where I am.

My sofa, in front of the TV after a long, long day at work - single malt scotch whisky

Fancy restaurant - vodka martini or scotch

Out with my friends in Namibia - Windhoek Beer

100 degree baseball game - Miller Lite

Caribbean beach - Pina Colada

Sunday morning brunch with a hangover - Mimosa

If I had to pick one single favorite alcoholic drink in the whole world, though, it would be single malt scotch

sw733

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 10):
Vodka -Stolichnaya: Put it in the freezer and drink it straight.

Seeing as you live in the central US based on your profile, I highly recommend Opulent Vodka, out of Minnesota. It's fantastic, and usually pretty affordable. I'm a vodka fan, but this is the only vodka I can really, truly enjoy straight up (well, that isn't ridiculously expensive)

fr8mech

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:50 pm

In no particular order...

Beer:
-Guinness
-Yuen Ling
-Fat Tire
-Killian's
-Just about anything red or dark

Bourbon:
-Maker's Mark
-Woodford Reserve
-Buffalo Trace
-American Honey
-Pappy Van Winkle

Rum: Dark and mixed with something fruity

Some wines, usually red, maybe a Chardonney.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

ajd1992

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm not a fan of hard alcohol (Vodka etc) but I quite like Corona, Becks, Kalt, Coors and the odd pear cider. I don't drink very often but if I can I will drink a Corona with lime if it's available. It's a shame it's so expensive at 2.50 GBP a bottle. In a Mexican restaurant (Chiquitos) they're 3.60 a bottle! Rip off but it does go well with their Pollo Del Fuego... mmmm 

CplKlinger

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 14):

Seeing as you live in the central US based on your profile, I highly recommend Opulent Vodka, out of Minnesota. It's fantastic, and usually pretty affordable. I'm a vodka fan, but this is the only vodka I can really, truly enjoy straight up (well, that isn't ridiculously expensive)

I'll have to look it up. I still thin the trick to Stolli straight is to put in the freezer for a few days minimum to let it get as cold as possible. Goes down well then.

comorin

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I've suddenly developed an addiction to Manhattans - a hard drink to get exactly right. I love a chilled cocktail as an aperitif before a steak dinner.

L410Turbolet

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
Any favourite alcoholic beverage ?

Beer (Budvar, Bernard, Bellevue Kriek, Coors light), cider (Olde English Dry), port wine (ruby), white dry sparkling wine (prosecco)

I'm not much of a spirit/liquor drinker, but I enjoy an occassional glass of whisky (Famous Grouse, Talisker), whiskey (Jack Daniel's Gentleman Jack). I love Amarula and Magister

runner13

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:46 pm

BEER BEER, AND MORE BEER!!!!! If I'm just sitting at home watching tv after work, I usually drink Natty light or some other light beer. They alll tase the same to me. The bar I've been going to this past year specializes in craft beers, and I've really become a fan of pale ales, and getting to like IPA'a a lot more too. I hate dark beers and stouts. If I really want to enjoy a good beer and savor it, you can't go wrong with a stella, or another good European lager. My favorite is Spaten though. I will occasionally drink a jack and coke, or rum and coke, but thats it for hard liquor.

san747

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm a beer fan myself, I always love trying microbrews and foreign beers. Bevmo! is awesome for the amount of little-known and obscure beers they have.

I can't list all the names of different beers I've tried, but I'll put down (in order of preference) the kinds of beers I like:

Dark Ales/Stouts
Pale Ales (Blue Moon for instance)
Hefeweizens
Lagers
Pilsners
Scotty doesn't know...

falstaff

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 am

Quoting signol (Reply 8):
Quoting Mortyman (Reply 7):
Stella Artois

In the UK, also known as "wifebeater"...

Last summer I was in the UK and I read in the Yorkshire Post (I think) that some group wanted to ban cheap alcohol and raise the prices so poor people wouldn't drink as much. The article only mentioned one beer by name; Stella Artois, which, according to the article, was the cheapest beer at Tesco. I got a kick out of that because I have friends who think they are being sophisticated by drinking it and make fun of me and my cheap beers, like Old Milwaukee. I told my dad about the article and he said he wanted to show a buddy of his who loves that stuff and swears it is a top shelf beer, so I had to dig it out of the trash....
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

johns624

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:26 am

It used to be McEwans Scottish Ale but since Heiniken bought the brewery, they no longer import it into the States---BASTARDS!

YVRLTN

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:05 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 22):
Last summer I was in the UK and I read in the Yorkshire Post (I think) that some group wanted to ban cheap alcohol and raise the prices so poor people wouldn't drink as much. The article only mentioned one beer by name; Stella Artois, which, according to the article, was the cheapest beer at Tesco. I got a kick out of that because I have friends who think they are being sophisticated by drinking it and make fun of me and my cheap beers, like Old Milwaukee. I told my dad about the article and he said he wanted to show a buddy of his who loves that stuff and swears it is a top shelf beer, so I had to dig it out of the trash....

I think it has got a bit of a reputation in the UK & Europe as what the football hooligans drink and the chavs on the 50p holiday in Ibiza courtesy of FR. More often than not, turn around to observe some loutish behaviour and the offender has a can of Stella in their hand.

However, it is what I drink all the time. Most Canadian beers are crappy - Keiths excepted - and since moving over here virtually everyone I know has tried it and now drinks it. Here, it is expensive, it goes for around $2.50 a pint more than domestic beers and it has a good name.

My 2nd choice is always red wine. Im perfectly happy with a bottle of Yellow Tail, particularly the purple or yellow label shiraz.

Third has to be Scotch. A nice Bowmore or Glenlivet is often the answer to a real crappy day.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

P3Orion

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 am

I have always had an affinity for whiskey, but as I have aged, my love affair has deepened. Bourbon is my passion. My favorite is Woodford Reserve. When my mood is in need of something more "peppery" I enjoy Baker's 7 year. For single malts, the smoke and the peat of Caol Ila 12 year is very soothing. If I crave something sweet, Red Breast Irish Whiskey hits the mark.

When out for pizza and wings, nothing beats a Yuengling or a Newcastle brown ale.

Quoting comorin (Reply 18):
I've suddenly developed an addiction to Manhattans - a hard drink to get exactly right. I love a chilled cocktail as an aperitif before a steak dinner.

Manhattan's are my favorite. My recipe is: 4 oz bourbon (Woodford Reserve), 1 oz sweet vermouth, 2-3 dashes of bitters and 1 TSP maraschino cherry syrup; shaken with ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass and garnished with a cherry.
Baker's 7 year, Carpano Antica, Luxardo, Bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters

runner13

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:18 am

Any Canadians on here like Steam Whistler beer? I had it once in Toronto and loved it, But it can't be found in the states.

UAL747

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:37 am

Vodka - Chopin - VT

Vodka - Absolute Peach - Peach Ice Pick - Peach Vodka, Iced Tea, Sweetener over ice. SOO great, and very Southern.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

notdownnlocked

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:36 am

Boones Farm Sangria by the bottle. It goes perfectly with the fromunda cheese and crackers I mentioned on the cheese thread!!!

san747

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:56 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 25):

When out for pizza and wings, nothing beats a Yuengling or a Newcastle brown ale.

Oh my god, Newcastle is AMAZING for pizza or chicken!
Scotty doesn't know...

AustrianZRH

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:24 am

A good Merlot/Cabernet cuvée with dinner. And afterwards, a nice glass of Lagavulin 16 yrs (no ice, no water, of course). If not available, Oban 14 yrs will also do  .
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

JJJ

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:49 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 5):
Can anyone tell me the difference between blanco and the golden brown Tequila ? Is the golden brown more matured ?

There are actually three kinds of tequila.

White comes straight from distilling, reposado is aged between 2 months and 1 year and gets a light golden or honey colour and añejo is aged at least one year and gets a darker colour.

Personally I can't stomach the thing. I'm a wine/beer person with the occasional mojito, martini, port or rum&coke or gin&tonic.

I have a preference for tempranillo reds and German and verdejo whites. But have enjoyed wines from over 20 different nations and counting.

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:06 pm

Cider yes please - I love it for just general home based drinking, but I have drunk more Caiparinhas than anything else. I was buying a bottle of cachaça every 2-3 days for 2 months while I was in Brazil. Amazing nights happen on that stuff.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

flyAUA

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:10 pm

GT... Nothing else in this world is better  
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

jetblueguy22

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:44 pm

My favorites are Coors, vodka with cranberry juice, and lemon grain alcohol (packs a kick, but its good).
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:43 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 31):
There are actually three kinds of tequila.

White comes straight from distilling, reposado is aged between 2 months and 1 year and gets a light golden or honey colour and añejo is aged at least one year and gets a darker colour.

Thanx !

elbandgeek

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Beer
- Leinenkugel's (just about every kind they make, but I have a special place in my heart for Summer Shandy)
- Guinness

I pretty much love any sweet wine, especially muscadines from the south. Last time I visited my sister in Florida we stopped by a winery near her place and ended up bringing back a case and a half.

Don't have a lot of brand preferences with hard liquor since I'm generally mixing them but I always get Absolut vodka since it's sort of a family tradition to do shots at christmas which I've gotten to participate in since I was 15 so it's the first real liquor I ever had.

TSS

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 4):
I fell in LOVE with this stuff, and enjoy it well chilled as a sipping drink:
(Vincent Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka)

That looks interesting! I'll see if my local liquor store has some in stock.

My default alcoholic beverage is a simple rum & coke (NOT a Cuba Libre), with preference being given to any non-flavored brand of rum besides Bacardi.
(rant on) Bacardi rum, Bacardi White in particular, has a nasty, kerosene-y under-taste to it that is most unpleasant to me. I suspect that the reason most people in the US don't like rum is because Bacardi White is the only rum they've ever tasted; If those people had tried virtually any other rum, they'd have a different opinion. (rant off)
When given my choice of rums or for home use, I prefer Mount Gay Eclipse, and I offer eternal thanks and occasional damnation (   ) to my friend Patrick in Savannah for introducing me to this most delightful libation.

When I'm in a drinking situation where the only rum available is Bacardi, I switch to vodka & cranberry juice, preferably made with Smirnoff Blue Label or better vodka.

I like the taste of Evan Williams bourbon, but it has the unpleasant side-effect of giving me the hiccups and I don't enjoy doing an impromptu Foster Brooks impression in public.   
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

B6JFKH81

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 37):
That looks interesting! I'll see if my local liquor store has some in stock.

I love coffee....and I love vodka. So, when I saw I could get double espresso vodka, I almost made a puddle on the floor LOL! It is quite good if you like the taste of coffee. The also make it in single espresso flavor which is a bit milder and is actually clear in color.

TSS

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 38):
I love coffee....and I love vodka. So, when I saw I could get double espresso vodka, I almost made a puddle on the floor LOL!

I love coffee and I like vodka, so it sounds like a winner to me.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 38):
It is quite good if you like the taste of coffee. The also make it in single espresso flavor which is a bit milder and is actually clear in color.

I like the taste of black coffee well enough that I'd try double espresso first and work from there.

L1011

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:43 pm

I never drink at home, but when flying, I like a Baileys Irish Cream in a cup of coffee. When I go out to dinner, I often get a mudslide, which is like a milkshake. My favorite drink, however, is a Chi Chi, which is usually available only in Hawaii. Most bartenders on the mainland have never heard of it, and if they do attempt to make it, it doesn't come out right.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Quoting L1011 (Reply 40):
Chi Chi

So what's in it ?

TSS

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Quoting L1011 (Reply 40):
My favorite drink, however, is a Chi Chi, which is usually available only in Hawaii. Most bartenders on the mainland have never heard of it, and if they do attempt to make it, it doesn't come out right.

Going by this recipe, a Chi Chi sounds like a Pina Colada made with vodka instead of rum and with a different creme of coconut/pineapple juice ratio. A Chi Chi sounds like a pretty tasty "dessert drink", but I'm not sure I'd want to face the morning after a whole night of getting drunk on them.      

RobertNL070

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 4):

What will they think of next?

Beer, in order of preference: Grolsch, Jupiler, Alfa, Dommelsch. Heineken is only fit for cleaning drains with.
Chilled red wine, particularly Spanish. Sometimes I'll make my own variation of sangria. It has a kick like an irate Spanish mule. I keep a bottle of Fundador for the purpose   - now that really is fit for cleaning drains with. On a lighter note, tinto de verano, but unfortunately you can't get La Casera here.
After dinner: a Cointreau on ice.

During my mispent youth I used to drink loads of different stuff. But as you get older..........
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

B6JFKH81

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 43):
What will they think of next?

Oh, they have already thought of MANY different flavors already!! Just from Van Gogh:

RobertNL070

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:05 pm

As many flavours as his palet had colours.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

L1011

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 am

TSS: You are correct about the chi chi. They are a lot like a pina colada, but much better, in my opinion. I don't drink them to get drunk, but because they taste delicious.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

EDICHC

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:02 pm

As I am a Rum drinker, and I am married to a Filipina...I just love Tanduay Rhum! A good Rum here costs $40+. It's great when I go back to the Phils and can pick up a bottle of Tanduay for around $4. Really nice and smooth Rum it is too.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Irish cider - specifically Bulmers/Magners.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magners

EDICHC

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 48):
Irish cider - specifically Bulmers

Bulmers is English...originates from Hereford if I remember correctly, it is possibly brewed under license in Ireland, But then again Guinness is brewed under license in Lagos, but you wouldn't call it a Nigerian Stout would you?
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28