Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua

RE: Any Favourite Alcoholic Beverage?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Smirnoffs and Margaritas (particularly strawberry flavored ones).

I'll take wine and sangria sometimes as well. Finally, not too fond of them, but a Cuba Libre (coke with rum) and Tu Madras (our name for cranberry and orange juice mixed with vodka).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

andz

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:44 pm

As everyday drinks, J&B and water in a tall glass with lots of ice interspersed with freezing cold Jägermeisters.

Depending on the mood and the location, I also like draught Guinness, German Alt bier, Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer, a Nambian beer called Windhoek Draught or Strongbow cider.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

IH8BY

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 49):
Bulmers is English...originates from Hereford if I remember correctly, it is possibly brewed under license in Ireland, But then again Guinness is brewed under license in Lagos, but you wouldn't call it a Nigerian Stout would you?

This is a tricky one. The cider he's referring to is an Irish cider called Bulmers, known as Magners in the UK. It's not made by Bulmers, the UK cider producer, but I believe it once was, hence the name. Bulmers produce a similar drink under their own name in the UK, so the makers of the Irish cider call it Magners when sold in the UK. My knowledge of this may be somewhat hazy; I remember looking it up once after a few bottles of one or the other - I don't recall which!

[Edited 2011-07-05 12:24:53]
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

TR763

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm a real beer fan, but when I want to go crazy:
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af322/TR763/jagermeister_logo.jpg
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

TSS

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 50):
Cuba Libre (coke with rum)

A Cuba Libre is not just "coke with rum"; A Cuba Libre adds the all-important lime wedge to simple rum & coke, and the lime wedge is either squeezed into the drink, rubbed around the rim of the serving glass, or both. You wouldn't think the addition of a small lime wedge would change the entire character of a drink made with two such strongly flavored ingredients as rum and coke, but it absolutely does. That's why when I order a rum & coke (not a Cuba Libre), I do so in clear International Lounge Lizard Shorthand so that there is no room for misunderstanding- "Rum, coke, rocks, no fruit".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

joshrice

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:40 pm

I am a fan mainly of beer's. Most European ones on tap only, out of can's they just taste rough.

When I am not feeling beer, I will drink a mixture of Jagerbombs, Sambuca and (Soft drinks) WKD, VK etc

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 49):
Bulmers is English...originates from Hereford if I remember correctly, it is possibly brewed under license in Ireland, But then again Guinness is brewed under license in Lagos, but you wouldn't call it a Nigerian Stout would you?

No Bulmers is 100% Irish, brewed in Clonmel, County Tipperary. In the UK and other countries it is marketed as Magners.

mwhcvt

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Having worked as a bar manager and number of years I can assure you that Bulmers is a British/English product and Magners is purely a marketing brand of the same product, please don't get suckered into the marketing BS about irish cider...

Another thing I need to take issue with as I have seen it in this thread is Pear Cider, I am sorry but there is no such thing it is mistakenly called this by some companies and this is wrong, if it is a pear based drink then it is "Perry" not cider, cider is apple based.

Rant over..

As to my favourite drink, that would be Sloe Gin on the rocks

119/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

IBERIA747

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:08 pm

- Beer
- Red Wine (a good tinto from the Ribera del Duero area will do)
- Rum. Just not ANY rum. Zacapa Centenario (Guatemala) is the way to go. Among world's best, without a doubt. Any other rum is just another alcoholic beverage.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

photopilot

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Ahhhh.... my favourite drinks. Well that would be the fine old sugar rums of Cuba. Right now I'm working my way through a lovely 20-year-old Santiago Dark rum and for very special occasions, a rare bottle of San Cristobal de la Habana Añejo Solera Rum which was bottled especially by the Havana Club people to celebrate the 480th Anniversary of the City of Havana.

Now, rums like these you don't ever pollute with anything. No mixes, ice or other contaminants. They are sipping rums meant to be enjoyed the same way you'd enjoy a fine cognac. Ahhhhhhh....... heaven!!!

Having travelled to Cuba many many times since the 90's, I no have no need of any of the usual tourist souvenirs but budget for these fine bottles. Of course, I photograph them before I drink em so I always have the memory.

Eat your heart out my American neighbours. Isn't the embargo a bitch?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/RonAnejoSolera.jpg

[Edited 2011-07-06 13:34:18]

[Edited 2011-07-06 13:36:45]

TSS

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 am

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 57):
Another thing I need to take issue with as I have seen it in this thread is Pear Cider, I am sorry but there is no such thing it is mistakenly called this by some companies and this is wrong, if it is a pear based drink then it is "Perry" not cider, cider is apple based.

Thanks for teaching me something new today.   
I had no idea there was an official cider-like drink made from pear juice. Another "must try" beverage for me to seek out.

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 57):
As to my favourite drink, that would be Sloe Gin on the rocks

I've never had Sloe Gin on the rocks, but I do enjoy a "quick & easy"* Sloe Gin Fizz occasionally. The next time I buy a bottle of Sloe Gin, I'll try some on the rocks.

*Rather than go to the trouble of mixing simple syrup, lemon juice, and soda water with Sloe Gin as the recipe specifies, I simply mix Sloe Gin with 7-Up. Although the taste isn't exactly the same, it's close enough for my personal enjoyment.

squared

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:47 am

Lately, I've been enjoying wines more and more. A big fan of German Rieslings, Australian Syrahs (well, I guess Shiraz), Napa Valley Cabernets, and Argentinian Malbecs.

Used to drink a lot of chardonnays and merlots, but I think I've found my favourite varietals.

JJJ

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 54):
A Cuba Libre is not just "coke with rum";

In Cuba and pretty much the rest of Spanish speaking countries, it is.

Lime is optional and doesn't change the name of the mix.

In Spain, a cuba libre (often shortened to cubata) has come to mean any mixed drink (gin&tonic, whiskey&orange, whatever).

EDICHC

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:17 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 56):

I know there is a cider marketed as Bulmers in Ireland, but the original Bulmers company was formed in Hereford in 1887

from Bulmers Hereford UK Wikipedia entry

"H.P. Bulmer, otherwise known as Bulmers Cider, was founded in 1887 in Hereford, England by Percy Bulmer, the 20 year old son of the local rector at Credenhill, taking his mother's advice to make a career in food or drink, "because neither ever go out of fashion".[1] Bulmers cider can be found worldwide and Strongbow is sold across Europe, USA, Australasia and the Far East. The company is owned by Heineken."

from Bulmers/Magners Wikipedia entry

"Commercial cider production was started in Clonmel, South Tipperary in 1935, by local man William Magner.[1] Magner bought the orchard from a Mr Phelan from Clonmel. Magner quickly established a successful cider factory in Dowds Lane, Clonemel. In 1937 English cider-makers H. P. Bulmer purchased a 50% share in the business, using their expertise to greatly increase production. After the war in 1946, Bulmers purchased the remaining 50%, changing the name to Bulmers Ltd Clonmel.[2] H.P. Bulmer maintained international rights to the Bulmers trade mark, so that any exports were carried out via the parent company rather than directly exported from Ireland."

I know Wikipedia cannot be 100% reliable but these entries are well sourced.

So it seems pretty definitive there.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

dc10bhx

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:52 pm

As others have said it all depends what I am doing as to what I prefer to drink.

If I am having a curry then it is a St Peter organic bitter or Fursty Ferrret (no that is not a spelling mistake).

If I am out for a drinking session then it varies. Normally if I am after volume then I will stay on the beer. Preferably a real ale or Guinness. If I am after strength of alcohol then I will hit the whisky or occassional brandy.

While gardening I would drink any old beer (lager or bitter) just to replenish fluids (yes I know you should not do that but it helps because I HATE gardening and beer gets me through it).

While out with family (wife & daughters) I would stick with a bitter or ale dependant on what the bar / restaurant serves.

The only spirits I do not like are gin and vodka (just out of personal preferences) either on their own or mixed.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

comorin

Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 25):
Manhattan's are my favorite. My recipe is: 4 oz bourbon (Woodford Reserve), 1 oz sweet vermouth, 2-3 dashes of bitters and 1 TSP maraschino cherry syrup; shaken with ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass and garnished with a cherry.

You're a good man!   

Thanks for the recipe. Sometimes the bartenders shake it too enthusiastically it gets watery...

Quoting flyAUA (Reply 33):
GT... Nothing else in this world is better

I prefer my G&Ts with just a splash of tonic water

TSS

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 62):
In Spain, a cuba libre (often shortened to cubata) has come to mean any mixed drink (gin&tonic, whiskey&orange, whatever).

Sort of like how in the US there is a trend of referring to all mixed drinks as "martinis", even though the majority of these so-called "martinis" contain neither gin nor vermouth.

DanTaylor2006

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Cider. I love cider. If I'm out I'll usually drink the commercial stuff like Strongbow, Thatcher's, Bulmer's etc because it's cheap. But at home I always have Henry Weston's Vintage... love the stuff.

JJJ

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 66):
Sort of like how in the US there is a trend of referring to all mixed drinks as "martinis", even though the majority of these so-called "martinis" contain neither gin nor vermouth.

Well, ordering a martini here will get you a vermouth on rocks (95% of the time it will be the actual Martini brand).

andz

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 60):
I had no idea there was an official cider-like drink made from pear juice.

Had it for the first and only time at Silverstone a few weeks ago, it is verrrrry nice.

WN738

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 am

So many...  , but id have to say Jaggermeister, and a similar drink distilled only in Utah, called Underground, which is like Jager but much smoother. Nothing beats a fine spirit in hand to make for a fun time.  

andz

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 am

I frequent a little pub close to my house and they do a huge turnover of Jägermeister. It is very popular here!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/andzz/IMG_5906.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/andzz/IMG_5884.jpg

My freezer at home  

Another similar drink I enjoy is Killepitsch, produced in Düsseldorf and not available in this country until quite recently.

mwhcvt

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:36 am

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 67):
Henry Weston's Vintage

That is some really good stuff

Here's another great cider that I collected from Ross on Wye last weekend

184/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)