Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

falstaff
Topic Author

USA Made Products Sold At Wal-Mart.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:22 am

I have heard a lot of disparaging comments about Wal-Mart over the years and how just about everything in the place is made in China. I know a lot of items in Wal-Mart are imported as are most items in American retailers today. However on July 3rd 2011 I went Wal-Mart to try and locate items made in the USA. With the help of my mom, Sally, we made our rounds in the Wal-Mart store in Manchester, Missouri (a western suburb of St. Louis). We set some ground rules in order to get a good variety of products. We did not purchase any food items because you could fill a tractor trailer truck with all the US made food and beverages. Some Wal-Marts do not sell groceries, beer, wine, and liquor either so we wanted to do something that could be done at any Wal-Mart. We also decided against counting items that were too big to fit in a cart, such as a lawn mower, a book shelf, and a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe. Many health and beauty items are US and Canadian made so to spend any time in that department would be too easy.

Mom and I looked the store over and filled our carts with these items:

Dixie Paper Plates, Igloo Island Breeze cooler, Fun Noodle swimming pool toy, Little Tikes toy BBQ set, paper cups, Crayola Color Wonder toy, batteries from Energizer, Duracell, and Rayovac, Cottonelle Toilet Paper, Kingsford Charcoal, a garden hose, Weber Smokey Joe BBQ Grill, Blitz 1 gallon gasoline can, Weedeater weed whip, Pyrex bowls, Anchor Hocking bowls, Kerr canning jars, Nordicware microwave bacon grill, Anchor Hocking glasses, Corelle dinnerware, Lodge cast iron skillet, Graniteware crock pot, Great Stuff Insulation foam, Winchester shotgun shells, Valvoline Motor Oil, Motorcraft Oil Filter, Prestone Anti-Freeze, Plano tackle box, Rustoleum spray paint, Tippmann paint ball gun, Titleist golf balls, toilet plunger, 3M Scotch Tape, Elmer’s School Glue, Stanely Tape Measure, Vaughan claw hammer, CRC Brakclean, PB Blaster, Prestone Brake Fluid, Cosco Auto Booster seat, Childrens soft potty seat, Summer Baby Bath, Dr. Browns baby bottles, Safety 1st child booster seat, Sterlite wastepaper can, Pennzoil Marine power trim and tilt fluid, Trilene fishing line, Fram automotive air filter, a cat litter scoop, and a automotive funnel.

There were a lot more items if you wanted to include the different styles and packages sizes. Examples would have been the different package sizes of Cottonelle toilet paper, all the different colors of Rustoleum spray paint, and all the sizes and types of firearm ammunition. I am sure there are many items we missed too. I admit that many items in Wal-Mart and other retailers are imported, but this should put to rest the idea you cannot purchase American made products if you choose to shop at Wal-Mart.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/NWA747/WalMart004.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/NWA747/WalMart006.jpg
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

DeltaMD90

RE: USA Made Products Sold At Wal-Mart.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:58 am

Wait, why? I'm so confused...    

falstaff
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 1):
Wait, why? I'm so confused

Because I had nothing better to do... It was pouring down rain on a Sunday afternoon.

mt99

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:34 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 2):
Because I had nothing better to do... It was pouring down rain on a Sunday afternoon.

Did you buy all of that?
Step into my office, baby

AI121

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 1):
Wait, why? I'm so confused...

Probably he is trying to point out that US still has some manufacturing plants left lol. Great job falstaff on at least trying to find US made products, unlike most of the people who would buy Chinese made goods just to save few bucks and then keep whining about not being able to find a job in US or Canada.
dhRuv

ltbewr

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:21 am

To me the real problem is that so many items that used to be made in the USA are made in China or other countries and not just at Walmart but also at other major stores from Target, K-Mart, Sears, JC Penny's, Ikea, Macy's, and so on.

I also have an obsession against products made in Vietnam (lost a cousin in 1967 there), Pakistan (for hiding bin-Laden and other terrorists), Iran (like rugs at Ikea, etc.) or food like frozen fish, frozen broccoli, or any cloth or the like with likenesses of the USA flag on them or a flag from China, Mexico or anywhere outside the USA.

On, by the way, you will find 3 ft x. 5 ft. USA flags at Walmart made in the USA (by Annin Flag, a USA and NJ based corp.).

KaiGywer

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:11 am

Did you have them ring it all up and then tell them you forgot your wallet?  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

hOMSaR

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 am

I'd like to see a store that specifically sells "Made in USA" goods, and advertises such. It's depressingly difficult to find items that I need that were actually made here.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

DeltaMD90

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:03 am

Hm well ok. I guess I find it kind of surprising that there were only about 2 cart-fulls of American products. Next rainy day, do the same thing, only do Chinese products! 

falstaff
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 3):
Did you buy all of that?

Nope, I put most of it back on the shelf before I left. Some of the stuff I bought; oil filter, air filter, Pryrex bowls, toilet paper, Scotch Tape, and the Elmers Glue.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 5):
I also have an obsession against products made in Vietnam

My dad says "Did I fight a war there so they could send their junk here?"

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 8):
I guess I find it kind of surprising that there were only about 2 cart-fulls of American products

I could have filled a large truck with US made products if I wanted to. I did this in one hour and included a wide range of products. There are variations that I felt no need to put in my cart because I would have over represented one type of product. For Example; I could have filled a cart with all the varieties of ammunition if I had wanted to. I could have filled a cart in every department but clothing and electronics.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 5):
not just at Walmart but also at other major stores from Target, K-Mart, Sears, JC Penny's, Ikea, Macy's, and so on.

Exactly, but I only here bitching about Wal-Mart. I know a number of people at work that say nothing but bad things about Wal-mart and refuse to shop there, but love to shop at Target, K-Mart and Meijer; all of which sell about the same things.

Quoting AI121 (Reply 4):
Probably he is trying to point out that US still has some manufacturing plants left lol
Quoting AI121 (Reply 4):
Great job falstaff on at least trying to find US made products,

That is the point. You can still buy USA made good if you bother to look for them and don't just grab the cheapest thing on the shelf.

zalemam

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 9):
xactly, but I only here bitching about Wal-Mart. I know a number of people at work that say nothing but bad things about Wal-mart and refuse to shop there, but love to shop at Target, K-Mart and Meijer; all of which sell about the same things.

Personally I hate Walmart because its always so freaking busy, the lines take forever to get through, so I go to other retail stores just so I can get through the lines quicker; even if I have to pay a couple of extra dollars...plus walmarts decor and design seems so generic and bland...too much blue in one place and very unorganized. Target has a better looking store and it seems more organized...plus it isnt as busy.
Patience is Virtue

Revelation

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Quoting Homsar (Reply 7):
I'd like to see a store that specifically sells "Made in USA" goods, and advertises such. It's depressingly difficult to find items that I need that were actually made here.

And the reason why there aren't such shops is because most people would still buy the cheaper non-US stuff.

Nope, I put most of it back on the shelf before I left. Some of the stuff I bought; oil filter, air filter, Pryrex bowls, toilet paper, Scotch Tape, and the Elmers Glue.

Glad to know we can still wipe our US butts with US toilet paper! 
For Example; I could have filled a cart with all the varieties of ammunition if I had wanted to.

No suprise: we're the world's leader in homocide after all.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

EMBQA

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Quoting falstaff (Thread starter):
We did not purchase any food items because you could fill a tractor trailer truck with all the US made food and beverages.

LoL.. you need to look again.......
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

falstaff
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Quoting zalemam (Reply 10):
Personally I hate Walmart because its always so freaking busy, the lines take forever to get through

Some are better than others. The Wal-Mart near my house, in Taylor, Michigan is insanely busy and I rarely go there. K-Mart is just as bad too, sometimes worse because they have fewer open checkouts. The Wal-Mart down in Woodhaven is much more laid back.

Quoting zalemam (Reply 10):
Target has a better looking store and it seems more organized...plus it isnt as busy.

When you have a store that isn't busy that isn't a good thing. Target stores usually look ok, but they have come a long way. They used to have way too much red for me.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 12):
you need to look again.......

Just the beer, wine, pop, and spirits section would probably fill a large box truck if you took one of each item. A lot of the boxed dry goods come from the USA. I would imagine most of the vegetables weren't picked by Americans, but were grown here. I have also seen a number of Canadian grown produce items too.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 11):
No suprise: we're the world's leader in homocide after all.

More often than not those rounds are used for sporting purposes.

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:18 pm

IT seemed that in the late 80's Walmart used to tout the fact that they sold many "Made In The USA" goods. I wonder what happened to that?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Springbok747

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:04 pm

When I was in the US last time around..I also went around to see what is made where..90% of the products sold at Walmart, Target. Macy's (and any big chain)..were not made in the USA..some were made in places like Venezuela (I thought the US had sanctions on Venezuela?). The most hilarious thing I found was a t-shirt in Walmart..it was a NASCAR racing one (it even had the American flag on it and said "National Guard" etc etc). It said "Assembled in Honduras"..seriously..how the hell do you "assemble" a t-shirt?!
אני תומך בישראל

Aesma

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 15):
It said "Assembled in Honduras"..seriously..how the hell do you "assemble" a t-shirt?!

Easy. The T-Shirt is entirely made in China or other country with a cheap labor, including the label, which is however not sewed on the T-Shirt. Then the label is sewed on in Honduras, et voilà !

My dad says "Did I fight a war there so they could send their junk here?"

Yes he did, what did he think it was for ? Just like you buy tons of stuff from Germany, Japan, a certain black liquid from Iraq...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ha763

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:15 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 15):
"Assembled in Honduras"..seriously..how the hell do you "assemble" a t-shirt?!

All it means is that it was sewn together in Honduras.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 16):
The T-Shirt is entirely made in China or other country with a cheap labor, including the label, which is however not sewed on the T-Shirt. Then the label is sewed on in Honduras, et voilà !

With this example, the label should say, "Made in China, finished in Honduras."

jwenting

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 am

Quoting AI121 (Reply 4):
Probably he is trying to point out that US still has some manufacturing plants left

and debunk the myth that WalMart doesn't stock anything not made in China too of course.
WalMart (like any sensible operation) will stock what customers want to buy. If customers want US brands, they stock those. If customers want cheap, they stock cheap which usually will mean Chinese as it's next to impossible to create goods in the US that compete on price alone with their Chinese counterparts.
And that's why WalMart is such a success, they know their customer base and stock to please them, and do so at reasonable prices.
I wish I were flying