Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bj87
Topic Author

A Good IPhone Replacement?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi everyone,

My mobile phone contract is coming to an end so I am looking at all the smart-phones on the market. I currently use an iPhone 3GS, which is the most pleasant phone I have ever had, however I am looking at getting something that isn't an iPhone.

After browsing the web and looking at what must have been hours of reviews on youtube. (some are mind-blowingly awful by the way) I got the following short list and was wondering which one would be best for daily use. I deliberately threw out any phone that involved Microsoft as I have an extremely short fuse when it comes to failing electronic devices.

1) Samsung Galaxy s2
2) Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
3) HTC Desire S

After watching all the reviews on youtube I got a half decent idea of what android 2.3.3 can do on these phones but what they don't tell you in the reviews is the following.

1) How long does the battery really last with average use?
2) How scratch resistant is the screen? Some of the phones have this new supposedly super scratch resistant glass but does it actually work or do you still need a screen protector?
3) Is the build quality any good when it comes to daily use. i.e. will it scratch (the casing), crack, unpeel itself or bend?
4) How is reception? The 3GS I have isn't great but not horrendous either. I do have to say that the shitty t-mobile network isn't helping. I will be switching back to KPN or one of its affiliates with the better network which should help. A friend with a 3GS on that network gets much better reception.

If anyone with the above mentioned devices could give me some extra info it would be appreciated.

Also feel free to give any tips regarding android (apps) or other phones that might be a good replacement in your opinion (I might have missed a good one).

mt99

RE: A Good IPhone Replacement?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Quoting bj87 (Thread starter):
Also feel free to give any tips regarding android (apps) or other phones that might be a good replacement in your opinion (I might have missed a good one).

You could just wait for the Iphone 5... 

I also have a 3GS - contract is up but i am in no rush to upgrade. The 3GS serves me fine. When i do, i think i will upgrade to another iphone.

For better or worse, Apple dominates my house, Mac, Apple TV, iphone all are connected wireless to the point that i can choose a song and play it on my home theater while i am sitting in the toilet   That was Steve Jobs dream wasn't it? For me its an essential part of an eco-system. You cant change one part of it without disrupting the rest.

My coworker used to have a old Motorola Razr up until a month or 2 ago when he upgraded to an Iphone 4, both with Verizon. We talk on the phone for at least an hour a day (as he work remotely) and i can definitely tell that the sound quality of the Razr is far far superior than the Iphone.

But, who uses mobiles to talk anymore?
Step into my office, baby

dxing

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:57 pm

I have the xperia and I like it. My wife and daughters have Iphones and I've never been tempted to change. The camera on the xperia is an 8.1 megapixel and takes vastly better shots than what comes out of the iphones. I haven't found myself limited in any way that I can think of so I'm in no hurry to change. Just my 2 cents.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

aa61hvy

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

I don't have an Iphone, but I am shopping for phones. I am a fan of the Samsung Captiva and Sumsung Infuse, both look sharp have okay battery life etc. Have you considered these? Both android based.
Go big or go home

ALTF4

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Well, you asked for it.... sorry for the long post, hopefully its not tl;dr.

Personal opinion: I don't like Sony, so I stay away from their products and won't say anything about it here, since I don't want to bias it.

I have both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Nexus S. I have a MacBook Pro as well (along with countless other laptops and computers), but tend to dislike Apple products in general, due to several reasons.

The Nexus S is nice, because it is a "Google-sanctioned phone" - it gets all the official Android updates pretty quickly. No bloatware on it, it is pure Android. Don't have to wait for the manufacturer or the carrier to update the OS to include their skin, etc. I thought this was an excellent value, because in a year, any phone's hardware will be last-gen. The difference is, my phone will have the up-to-date software, where as the slightly more cutting edge ones wouldn't. Android is still in its infancy, meaning software updates might bring some fabulous new features that I didn't want to miss.

If you're only going to buy one of the phones you listed, I'd say the HTC Desire S, as HTC has been a pretty friendly manufacturer when it comes to letting you do things to your phone. The 'unlock' the bootloader, meaning you can put a new version of Android on yourself, if you so wish. Their support seems to be good as well. Otherwise, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is a good alternative.

I'd still recommend the Nexus S, though, since it gets the special treatment from Google.

So:

1) How long does the battery really last with average use?
The first two weeks I had the phone? Battery life was awful. Why? Because, as with every new toy, you play with it excessively the first few weeks you have it. I had to charge it back up around 2:30 or 3pm, otherwise it would die around 4 or 5, just as I was leaving work.

Now, the battery is much better. I get a full day's use out of it - checking email on it whenever one comes, using it for GPS in the car, light web browsing during the day (much moreso on the weekend), and some app usage. I don't use it much for games or videos, which lightens the load a bit on it, meaning the battery lasts longer.

I could tell you all the apps that monitor battery use, etc - but lets face it, those are a pain. You want the battery to last, period, right? Just turn on GPS and bluetooth when you use them, then turn them off. Easily done in Android via a widget on the screen (tap a button for GPS, etc). I usually tether about 30 minutes to an hour every day, as well.

By the end of the day, my battery is usually around 30% - 35% remaining, which is good. Android will warn you when it drops below 30%, so I think it is just about right. I usually (not always) plug it in to a car charger when travelling to/from work, and ALWAYS have it in the car charger when using GPS for navigation, etc.

All in all, it is sufficient. My iPhone, with far less use, is normally around 85% by the end of the day, so it is obviously much more conservative, but don't take these numbers and compare them, because I ONLY use my iPhone for corporate email.

I also bought an extra battery or two and have them charged and in my backpack with my laptops, just in case I need to swap em out, which is very easy on my phone.

2) How scratch resistant is the screen? Some of the phones have this new supposedly super scratch resistant glass but does it actually work or do you still need a screen protector?
My Nexus S doesn't have any protection on it, period. It has a curved body, so the screens are hard to use. I always keep my phone by itself in one pocket, so as long as you don't throw it around, put it in your pocket with your keys or another phone, or drop coins in on it, I think you'll be fine. Just note, though, that every phone is different.

3) Is the build quality any good when it comes to daily use. i.e. will it scratch (the casing), crack, unpeel itself or bend?
Mine is excellent. Heavy enough to "feel" good. You can drop it from 4 feet onto thin carpet and it'll be fine - haven't dropped it on concrete or asphalt though. I'm sure it would be fine, but I don't like doing that  

Screen, as I mentioned above, has held up fine. It has survived some of those "doh!" moments when you take a turn to sharp on a stair case and catch your pocket on the railing, or get shoved into a wall in a crowded hall, etc.

4) How is reception? The 3GS I have isn't great but not horrendous either. I do have to say that the shitty t-mobile network isn't helping. I will be switching back to KPN or one of its affiliates with the better network which should help. A friend with a 3GS on that network gets much better reception.
Nexus S on tmobile is fine. Better than my iPhone 4 on AT&T, but there are thousands of variables there. I think most modern phones will be pretty comparable in reception - there's only so many things you can do with an antenna, and most of these phones have the same or similar radio units.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

flanker

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:40 pm

EVO!!!! Couldn't be happier, but depending on where you are maybe its not available.

[Edited 2011-07-05 11:46:59]

casinterest

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Myt 2 cents ,wait till the end of September when all the new phones come out. Picking a new phone now is just asking for buyer's remorse when all the new models hit the market in September.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Rara

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 am

My advice: if you do get an Android phone, look into rooting your phone and installing a custom rom pretty early. Custom roms such as Cyanogen have really come a long way. They remove all the bloatware, give you many more options, enhance performance, give you great backup options and much more. The only obstacle really is the installation, which depending on the phone takes some googling and reading how-tos.
I've been using Cyanogen for a couple of months and could kick myself for not looking into it earlier, it really is the only way to make full advantage of your phone.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

bj87
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:11 am

First of all thanks for all the responses everyone.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 1):
For better or worse, Apple dominates my house,

Apple has amazing products. I also have a Macbook and an iMac (which is also hooked up to the TV) and I love it. Just looking for something new that is a little more open than apple's ios.

Quoting dxing (Reply 2):
. The camera on the xperia is an 8.1 megapixel and takes vastly better shots than what comes out of the iphones.

So does the Samsung Galaxy S2. The camera is one of the reasons I am moving away from the iPhone. Even though the iPhone 4 has a half decent camera, the iPhone 5 or 4S will probably be even better, it is and always will be a pain to get the picture to another phone. Realistically you either have to mail it or sync with pc and then mail. I used to just send it over via Bluetooth which is much easier and faster, especially in a building/train with bad reception. (A jailbroken phone can do this though, just don't mess up when you update the ios or tempers might flair like mine did)

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 3):
I am a fan of the Samsung Captiva and Sumsung Infuse, both look sharp have okay battery life etc. Have you considered these?

I had a quick look on the Dutch Samsung website but couldn't find it so it might not be available.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 4):
The Nexus S is nice, because it is a "Google-sanctioned phone" - it gets all the official Android updates pretty quickly. No bloatware on it, it is pure Android. Don't have to wait for the manufacturer or the carrier to update the OS to include their skin, etc.

That is a good point to consider, thanks for the info.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 4):
My Nexus S doesn't have any protection on it, period. It has a curved body, so the screens are hard to use. I always keep my phone by itself in one pocket, so as long as you don't throw it around, put it in your pocket with your keys or another phone, or drop coins in on it, I think you'll be fine. Just note, though, that every phone is different.

Mhh, the "gorilla glass" should be fine then. I am rather careful when it comes to hundreds of Euros worth of phone  
Quoting flanker (Reply 5):
EVO!!!! Couldn't be happier, but depending on where you are maybe its not available.

I just looked it up, it will be released here soon. The specs look very impressive and I might just wait for it. Not sure about the usefulness of the 3D function though. But then again, it is something no other phone has and should be nice to wow people with.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 6):
Myt 2 cents ,wait till the end of September when all the new phones come out. Picking a new phone now is just asking for buyer's remorse when all the new models hit the market in September.

Good point. For some reason though release dates in the Netherlands tend to be a bit more wide spread so the problem is perpetual. Which is rather annoying. That said luckily I don't easily get buyers remorse. Compared to my current 2 year old phone any current phone will be a giant leap in telecommunication technology 
Quoting Rara (Reply 7):
Android phone, look into rooting your phone and installing a custom rom pretty early.

Thanks for the tip. I will probably stick with the standard OS until I get a grip on the standard Android OS but it might be a cool "project" for a winter day.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 4):

Personal opinion: I don't like Sony, so I stay away from their products and won't say anything about it here, since I don't want to bias it.

Feel free to bias, the information might just be useful to someone.

Personally I stay away from Nokia these days. They are indestructible and can get reception in the middle of the Sahara dessert but their OS (on the old N series) and support makes my temper reach the boiling point. But if you can deal with the OS and don't require a repair due to a production error, they are good phones.

I'll keep checking in in case anyone has any more ideas. Right now it looks like I'll be going for the Samsung Galaxy S2. It will be my first Samsung phone so let's hope it doesn't let me down.

Klaus

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 am

I'd really wait until the new models are out.

And this might be relevant to you: My Dinner With Android

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:39 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 1):
You cant change one part of it without disrupting the rest.

Actually, THAT was Steve Jobs' dream....  

Nimish

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 pm

I can't recommend a good android phone highly enough. I have 2 models of the Galaxy (wife and mom), and a Nexus S (me) as well, and it's brilliant. Battery life in reality though is a bummer - never more than a day - unless it's not used at all. With very high usage, the battery is just soaked up, and needs a recharge by the evening. However high or moderate usage will last you till the end of the day.

The android market is very easy to use, lots of great apps for free, and the best part is that you never have to connect your phone to the PC to do anything - everything is in the cloud. Backups of things like contact lists/ address books/ emails is integrated and automatic - since it's all shared with your gmail account and any change can be made either on gmail or on the phone and will replicate almost instantly.

What I like about the nexus S is the form factor and build is amazing and the screen is outstanding. Plus instant updates from Google - hence I was able to use video calling from Gtalk the moment it was introduced...
Incredible India!

ALTF4

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 11):

Glad to find another Nexus S owner!

mt99

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:00 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 12):

Glad to find another Nexus S owner!

..Who would have known that 50% of the production would have been owned by A.netters  
Step into my office, baby

Klaus

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:45 pm

The android market is very easy to use, lots of great apps for free,

Just to remove any misunderstandings: A large portion of the apps in the App Store are free as well, and all of them are still vetted like the paid ones are.

and the best part is that you never have to connect your phone to the PC to do anything - everything is in the cloud. Backups of things like contact lists/ address books/ emails is integrated and automatic - since it's all shared with your gmail account and any change can be made either on gmail or on the phone and will replicate almost instantly.

"Everything"? As far as I'm aware only the specific types of data you listed above are backed up in the cloud, not the data of all the other apps. And this data is being analyzed by Google for their commercial use. Everyone using Google's products should be aware that YOU are the product Google sells to its advertising customers.

Starting with iOS5, the iPhone (3GS, 4 and 5) will be entirely PC-independent (if desired), including full cloud backups including all app data (the same way all data is now backed up through iTunes already). I think that distinction is relevant, particularly with ever more complex and powerful apps with relevant data on mobile devices.

No doubt Android had been ahead in a few respects, but iOS5 ticks most of these remaining boxes as well with iOS5, so these features are no positive differentiators for Android any more.

max999

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Here's another consideration...4G LTE

Current rumors strongly suggest that the next iPhone will NOT be LTE compatible. If you want your phone to be faster than 3G, the iPhone probably won't get LTE until at least the 2nd half of 2012.

There are a number of Android phones currently available which have LTE...especially the high-end Android phones.

I'm not sure how widely LTE is available in Europe, but Verizon here in the US is pushing it out in many cities now.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Klaus

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 15):
Here's another consideration...4G LTE

Theoretically yes, but in practice the existing LTE chipsets appear to be so power-hungry that you wouldn't be able to get any decent battery endurance, which seems to be the primary problem of the existing LTE handsets so far.

Mostly for the same reason Apple had initially opted to not adopt UMTS for the first iPhone either, and even still my 3rd-generation iPhone 3GS sucks substantially more power when I enable it and often is not all that much faster than EDGE anyway (sometimes even slower).

Together with the then-emerging need to deal with three (including CDMA four!) different modulation standards with their respective antenna and RF issues, all that for a relatively dubious real-life advantage over newer UMTS revisions?

This might be another one of those instances when Apple would opt to decline a theoretically nice option due to its practical side effects and leaving the unreflected ticking of any possible box in the spec sheet to the competition.

I would be quite surprised to see the iPhone 5 coming with LTE; It's probably "just" the latest UMTS speedup generation combined with further optimized battery life which will suit me just fine for the upgrade.

Whichever manufacturer you should prefer, don't just look at the nominal feature lists – fewer features which actually work properly in real life are usually the better value than expensive options which are nominally there but ultimately useless for being too immature.

ALTF4

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 13):
Who would have known that 50% of the production would have been owned by A.netters  

Hey, at least I'm not like everybody else then!  

max999

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
Theoretically yes, but in practice the existing LTE chipsets appear to be so power-hungry that you wouldn't be able to get any decent battery endurance, which seems to be the primary problem of the existing LTE handsets so far.

Mostly for the same reason Apple had initially opted to not adopt UMTS for the first iPhone either, and even still my 3rd-generation iPhone 3GS sucks substantially more power when I enable it and often is not all that much faster than EDGE anyway (sometimes even slower).

I completely agree...3G, and especially 4G, take a substantial toll on battery life.

However, I don't see this as about features or user experience...I rather see this as consumer choice. Since 4G LTE technology is available, there are high-end smart phones out there which can take advantage of it. Ultimately, it is up to the consumer to decide whether they want it or not. Even if they choose a 4G phone, the owner of a phone has a choice of turning on/off the 4G feature...maybe the phone user needs short bursts of high speed to download large files.

In the US, there are Android phones with Swype keyboards, dual screens, 3D screen technology, etc etc. The phone makers are free to innovate and it is up to the consumer to decide whether they want these technologies or not.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

MrChips

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 14):

"Everything"? As far as I'm aware only the specific types of data you listed above are backed up in the cloud, not the data of all the other apps. And this data is being analyzed by Google for their commercial use. Everyone using Google's products should be aware that YOU are the product Google sells to its advertising customers.

And if you think Apple and its equally unscrupulous app makers are any better, you're the most delusional person in history. Face up to the facts; no matter what flavour of smartphone you use today, be it Android, iOS or Blackberry, your data is being collected without your knowledge and used by third parties, with the express purpose of either selling it, or using it for themselves to make money.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 14):

Starting with iOS5, the iPhone (3GS, 4 and 5) will be entirely PC-independent (if desired), including full cloud backups including all app data (the same way all data is now backed up through iTunes already). I think that distinction is relevant, particularly with ever more complex and powerful apps with relevant data on mobile devices.

No doubt Android had been ahead in a few respects, but iOS5 ticks most of these remaining boxes as well with iOS5, so these features are no positive differentiators for Android any more.

I'm sorry, but if you ask any real IT person about the "cloud", they'll laugh you into the ground. No matter what companies like Amazon, Apple and Microsoft try to tell you, the "cloud" is a flawed concept at best. Too many things to go wrong from a technical standpoint, not to mention the issue of security; all that personal data floating around the internet is a big, juicy target for the LulzSecs of the world. Beyond that, what happens when it isn't profitable to run the "cloud" anymore? What do you think will happen then?
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

MD-90

Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 1):
My coworker used to have a old Motorola Razr up until a month or 2 ago when he upgraded to an Iphone 4, both with Verizon. We talk on the phone for at least an hour a day (as he work remotely) and i can definitely tell that the sound quality of the Razr is far far superior than the Iphone.

I still use an old V3XX Razr and I've yet to experience another cell phone that has equally excellent voice quality (both transmitting and receiving) as it does. I have an iPod Touch and I love it, but I can tell that people I call who have iPhones don't sound as good on the phone as my old Motorola does.

[Edited 2011-07-06 16:05:27]

ha763

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am

Quoting bj87 (Reply 8):

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 3):
I am a fan of the Samsung Captiva and Sumsung Infuse, both look sharp have okay battery life etc. Have you considered these?

I had a quick look on the Dutch Samsung website but couldn't find it so it might not be available.

They are Galaxy S phones for ATT. The difference being that the Infuse is a 4G phone. Samsung released different form factors of the Galaxy S phones for each U.S. carrier.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 8):
Mhh, the "gorilla glass" should be fine then. I am rather careful when it comes to hundreds of Euros worth of phone

Just put a screen protector on. Scratch resistant glass can take a beating, but it can still get scratched.

Quoting bj87 (Reply 8):
Right now it looks like I'll be going for the Samsung Galaxy S2. It will be my first Samsung phone so let's hope it doesn't let me down.

I would keep an eye on the XDA Developers forums. You will find everything you need to root an Android phone and any custom ROM you want to try there.

noelg

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:07 am

I have an HTC Desire HD and it is, quite simply, the best phone I have ever owned. Super powerful, beautiful screen, great phone.

A couple of my friends have the Galaxy S2 and are very pleased with it. Power-wise it leaves my Desire HD in the dark, plus it has AMOLED screen and shoots video in 1080p.

My upgrade is due August/September so hopefully will go for an S2 (unless anything else hits the shops before then).

Rara

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
This might be another one of those instances when Apple would opt to decline a theoretically nice option due to its practical side effects and leaving the unreflected ticking of any possible box in the spec sheet to the competition.

As usual - any feature that Apple doesn't have is unneeded, even detrimental. But wait till they implement it - then it'll be celebrated like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

bj87
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Hey everyone,

Well I picked up my new phone today. In the end I went for the Samsung Galaxy S2. I have been using it for the best part of 9 hours now and I have to say so far it is easy to use and impressive in its capabilities. It is a lot different than an iPhone yet sometimes very similar. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make folders for your pictures. Other than that I was able to get it up and running without problems. Took a while to get everything moved from one phone to the other and to get all the apps installed but the job's a goodin.

By the way the KPN network is a godsend compared to the T-mobile crap. Sitting in the living room with full service and 3G while my iPhone doesn't even have an Internet connection!

Thanks for all the comments, I will be looking at those websites, still need to find a good all round news provider widget. BBC, RT news or CNN or something.

bj87
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Never mind, figured out how to create folders  

Nimish

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Congratulations on picking up a SGS2! It's no surprise that the latest market data shows Android's market share grow 5% in the past quarter, Apple's 1%, and BlackBerry lost 5% market share!
Incredible India!

noelg

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 26):
Congratulations on picking up a SGS2! It's no surprise that the latest market data shows Android's market share grow 5% in the past quarter, Apple's 1%, and BlackBerry lost 5% market share!

They reckon the number of active Android devices is growing by almost 5% per week!  Wow!

I think it's obvious Android is playing the numbers game, often at a small profit margin per unit, whereas Apple are aiming at the hardcore Apple fanboys, making more money on less handsets. Net result is they both are making a healthy profit, but I think Android will be the more common OS.

To be honest I have used both IOS and Android, and find Android a much nicer OS to use, especially when you start adding some nice themes on it.

Springbok747

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Quoting bj87 (Reply 24):
Samsung Galaxy S2.

Excellent choice. I am a Nexus S user, and love it. I've never used an iphone..so can't comment on how good/bad it is..but Android is absolutely brilliant. I love the free apps they have on the android market too.
אני תומך בישראל