Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dxing
Topic Author

Casey Anthony Aquitted Of Murder

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

I thought sure with such a short deliberation she was toast.

http://news.yahoo.com/casey-anthony-acquitted-murder-182149052.html

Aquitted of everything except lying to authorities.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

casinterest

RE: Casey Anthony Aquitted Of Murder

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Quoting dxing (Thread starter):
I thought sure with such a short deliberation she was toast.

http://news.yahoo.com/casey-anthony-acquitted-murder-182149052.html

Aquitted of everything except lying to authorities

I knew the prosecution was in trouble when I saw the list of charges. They didn't have enough evidence to go after Murder 1. Remember the Prosecution has to show evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. The Defense's case was made by the Prosecution's inability to take away reasonable doubt. The jury was left with a lot of reasonable doubt.
Where ever you go, there you are.

dxing
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 1):
They didn't have enough evidence to go after Murder 1.

Didn't they have the option to return a verdict of manslaughter? I was under the impression the could do that.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

futurepilot16

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 2):
Didn't they have the option to return a verdict of manslaughter? I was under the impression the could do that.

I think that was the third count which was aggravated manslaughter of a child.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

casinterest

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 3):
I think that was the third count which was aggravated manslaughter of a child.

Problem here was that the defense had a big hole that they expoited. No one could prove who or how Casey died in the eyes of the jury.

Now the biggest problem I have, is that the one person and arguably 3 people responsible for this child, are going to get a slap on the wrist, with what should have been a negligence leading to the death of a minor charge.
Where ever you go, there you are.

planespotting

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 pm

In the United States, the prosecution shouldn't be able to win a jury trial for a Capital Murder case (or any charge for that matter) by merely pointing out again and again how irresponsible the suspect was and how much she partied.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

futurepilot16

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 4):
Now the biggest problem I have, is that the one person and arguably 3 people responsible for this child, are going to get a slap on the wrist, with what should have been a negligence leading to the death of a minor charge.

Yea, the DA and prosecution team should probably rethink their jobs. They went for the home run and didn't even get a foul tip. Numerous charges and possible death penalty conviction with NO reasonable evidence whatsoever.

Furthermore, I would just like to point out to those who are angry at the Jury, that they did their jobs correctly. I've been on news message boards since they read the verdict and the overwhelming majority is angry at the Jury for not convicting this "malicious murderer for killing her beautiful young child". The problem with statements like this is that it's based on emotion and nothing else, for what it's worth, conviction based on emotion is the reason why innocent people get sent to prison. Not saying she was innocent, but this shows why it took so long to summon an actual Jury who would look at evidence (or lack thereof) and reach a verdict based on that.

I personally believe that Casey Anthony killed her daughter, perhaps by accident, and covered it up with the help of family members. Unfortunately the proof isn't there. The fact that she went partying after her child went missing is not enough evidence or proof of anything, it's cold hearted, but not proof.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Unfortunately I have to concede the fact that there never was any direct evidence linking her to the murder (even if the circumstances indicate that she did play a role).

What worries me is that this sets a dangerous precedent for future cases. Just right now, there's a case of a little boy who was killed about a year or two ago and the mother is still wandering around without any charges filed against her, even after she was found to be a drug user and after she and her parents quickly covered the scene of the crime (a mattress and the floor, both stained with blood, were washed and no traces were ever found). It is of common knowledge here that she is responsible for this boy's death, especially when she too did not report the boy's death until much later.

All that aside, I still don't know if Casey did play a role. With all the fibbing before and during the trial, it seems to point in that direction. I do agree with the prosecution's argument though. This was no accident. How do you explain it as an accident if you report your child missing after a month?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

luv2fly

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 6):
I personally believe that Casey Anthony killed her daughter, perhaps by accident, and covered it up with the help of family members. Unfortunately the proof isn't there. The fact that she went partying after her child went missing is not enough evidence or proof of anything, it's cold hearted, but not proof.

I also believed she did it, though I am unsure if any family members helped her. I think her actions speak louder than her words and just from what I saw, I think she is guilty as sin.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Maverick623

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:44 pm

I personally believe that Casey Anthony killed her daughter, perhaps by accident, and covered it up with the help of family members.

I think that the jury believed it too, but, as instructed, they simply couldn't convict given the (lack of) evidence.

Unfortunately the proof isn't there.

Which allowed reasonable doubt to creep in, and force a not-guilty verdict.

The fact that she went partying after her child went missing is not enough evidence or proof of anything, it's cold hearted, but not proof.

Exactly. It's not exactly a secret that she did not want the kid, and probably hated having to deal with her. Upon finding her dead.... burden relieved!

On another note:

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 7):
It is of common knowledge

You speak of common knowledge, yet:

(a mattress and the floor, both stained with blood, were washed and no traces were ever found)

If no traces were ever found, how do they know they were stained with blood?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

jcs17

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Did Casey Anthony kill her daughter? More than likely.

Did the prosecution prove this beyond a reasonable doubt? Probably not.

There simply wasn't enough solid evidence to convict on a first-degree murder charge and I think even if the charge had just been negligent homicide, the prosecution would still be facing an uphill battle. This creates quite an unsettling sort of circumstances where as long as the body is well decomposed, and there is little in the way of physical evidence, a defense team can simply throw everything including the kitchen sink at a dopey jury (I have a major problem with trial-by-jury) to try to lure them off into numerous, far-fetched theories. At the end of the day, her internet searches, the duct tape, the smell of the car should count for something -- unfortunately, it didn't count for anything in Florida.

The worst part about this is that I don't think the Son of Sam Laws will be able to be applied in this case, and Casey Anthony is going to be a celebrity. Trashy celebrity rags are probably planning their ten pages of coverage right now. Furthermore, she will be able to make millions off a book deal. Yuck.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

futurepilot16

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:06 pm

At this point, with the lack of evidence, the only justice we can hope for is karmic justice....if you believe in that sort of thing.

keagkid101

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:22 pm

The jury knew very well that Kasey killed her daughter. But, based on the evidence presented, they had to rule that she was NOT GUILTY. You can't just say someone is guilty...you have to back-up your ruling based on concrete evidence. There is no concrete evidence in this case that she murdered her daughter, this the not guilty ruling.

The American justice system at its best...

JBirdAV8r

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Quoting keagkid101 (Reply 12):

I find these comments infuriating. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't.

It sucks, this is true. I'm convinced she murdered her daughter. I'm also convinced that there will never be any justice for that slain little girl.

But I'm proud of America. If anything, it shows we do not operate on mob rule.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Dreadnought

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Lesson learned: If you kill someone, make sure you dump the body in a florida swamp in the summer so that an autopsy will be useless, and even all the circumstantial evidence in the world won't be enough to convict you.

Casey Anthony must be thinking along the lines of Bill Ayers famous quote when he was acquited, "Guilty as hell, free as a bird—America is a great country."
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 13):

Although I put the over/under at 4 hours until comedians begin the "Hey, it's Florida - the same state whose citizens don't know how to vote properly!" post-verdict commentary.   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Springbok747

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 pm

So she was found guilty of lying in every case, yet the jury didn't believe she killed her daughter?

But I suppose there is always a chance the kid crawled into the trunk, hid herself in a bag, put duct tape over her mouth then as Casey drove by the trunk popped open and the kid landed in the swamp. Total accident.  
אני תומך בישראל

dxing
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:38 pm

It will be interesting to hear what all the talking dogs have to say on the cable channels tonight. So many of them were convinced that this girl was headed to the death house.

viaggiare

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Quoting planespotting (Reply 5):
by merely pointing out again and again how irresponsible the suspect was and how much she partied

Or through cross-examination of witnesses regarding family pet burial traditions.  
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 15):
Although I put the over/under at 4 hours until comedians begin the "Hey, it's Florida - the same state whose citizens don't know how to vote properly!" post-verdict commentary.

LOL. Joy Behar was on it immediately. She counts as a comedian, right?

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 9):
If no traces were ever found, how do they know they were stained with blood?

1. The boy's body was found with lost of wounds. Hard to believe that after he had been put to bed and had been found in his room, no blood was spilled anywhere.
2. Investigators found out that the family of the mother (namely her parents) arrived at the scene before the police. I don't think it is routine to wash a mattress in the night or to be cleaning a house so late as well which is what they were caught doing.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

727LOVER

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 14):

One person to lay blame: the cop that scolded and refused to listen to Roy Krunck. The body sat there for 4 months because of him not doing his job.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

keagkid101

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:39 pm

It sucks, this is true. I'm convinced she murdered her daughter. I'm also convinced that there will never be any justice for that slain little girl.

How can you possibly be proud of America? There are so many flaws in our justice system. Even if she had been found guilty, she would still have gotten out of prison by pleading insanity. This is what's wrong with America.

futurepilot16

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 14):
and even all the circumstantial evidence in the world won't be enough to convict you.

What circumstantial evidence?

Quoting keagkid101 (Reply 22):
How can you possibly be proud of America? There are so many flaws in our justice system. Even if she had been found guilty, she would still have gotten out of prison by pleading insanity. This is what's wrong with America.

Would you have preferred the Iranian system of stoning to death on the spot based on hear say? All you self righteous zealots are absolutely 100% sure that she did it, even though their most concrete evidence was a non-existent internet search and a tattoo. I would love to see some new evidence in this case, but with the horrible condition of the body there was simply not enough evidence. The fact that I think Casey Anthony is a horrible person doesn't give me the right to give her a guilty verdict based on her actions after her daughter died.

As I said before people, convicting a person based only on emotion because you are sorry that such a beautiful young girl lost her life is not representative of our justice system. It's why innocent people get sent to prison for years.

Aaron747

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:39 pm

There is no concrete evidence in this case that she murdered her daughter, this the not guilty ruling.

This is not one of the finer moments, but it shows that the system of jury by peers works. It's the government's responsibility to prosecute the case adequately, and they failed to do that here.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 16):
yet the jury didn't believe she killed her daughter?

Even if they did, they can't convict based on what was presented.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

NIKV69

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:18 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 17):
It will be interesting to hear what all the talking dogs have to say on the cable channels tonight. So many of them were convinced that this girl was headed to the death house.

Which is why people like Nancy Grace are not lawyers anymore. They were bad at their jobs. Just like the prosecution. They didn't prove their case and attacked Casey instead of proving the case. This was more than winnable at least on a lesser charge.

The simple fact Casey didn't call 911 the moment her daughter went missing means she either killed her or it was an accident and she panicked or could be the parents were watching her and she did drown. Only God knows and it seems that is how it will end.

I am not happy with the verdict and this whole society failed that little girl but I never question a jury. I didn't sit through the trial, they did and they made the call. I love this country and a big part is out justice system. It isn't perfect but it's still the best going.

Her parents are getting threats and are under police guard. I can't see any of that family being able to stay in the state of FL.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

jcs17

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:34 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 24):

This is not one of the finer moments, but it shows that the system of jury by peers works. It's the government's responsibility to prosecute the case adequately, and they failed to do that here.

Not really. I would much rather have a smaller tribunal of judges come to a verdict than a jury of my peers. Although the basic concepts of a common law trial hasn't changed for the past few centuries, I think that so much more information is thrown at a jury than ever before -- especially in a trial of this magnitude. Not only that, but trial lawyers, defense attorneys, and prosecutors, both in civil and criminal litigation are probably the least ethical people next to bookmakers and psychics.

What happens? You get a defense attorney who throws numerous absurd theories against the wall, and hopes that he can get one person on that jury to buy in. You get a trial lawyer who is able, through the natural complexities of medicine, is able to convince a jury that some poor doctor is at fault for some ridiculous malpractice, and awards tens of millions of dollars to a plantiff. The problem with a jury is that they don't have a legal background haven't been exposed to these shenanigans in their every day job. Furthermore, if I was on trial for something major, I would want someone very highly educated to be deciding my fate, not a crap shoot of education levels.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Dreadnought

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:43 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 25):
The simple fact Casey didn't call 911 the moment her daughter went missing means she either killed her or it was an accident and she panicked or could be the parents were watching her and she did drown. Only God knows and it seems that is how it will end.

I happen to know something about this unfortunately. My son died in our house (sudden death, while he slept). We IMMEDIATELY called the ambulance, even though I was 100% sure Laurent was dead - his facial expression was like nothing a live child could make. I did CPR, and every other thing I knew how to do, just on the off-chance, one in a million possibility that he could be revived. I'm no doctor - he looked dead to me but I could have been wrong.

The idea of finding your child dead and NOT calling in the whole damned world that can come to help is simply not believable.

JBirdAV8r

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:51 am

How can you possibly be proud of America? There are so many flaws in our justice system.

Name a country that has a better system of justice and cite the reasons why.

When you grow up a little, you'll learn not to be so critical of a legal system based on one data point, let alone an entire country. You shouldn't make such emotionally-charged statements without thinking them through.

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 23):
All you self righteous zealots are absolutely 100% sure that she did it, even though their most concrete evidence was a non-existent internet search and a tattoo. I would love to see some new evidence in this case, but with the horrible condition of the body there was simply not enough evidence. The fact that I think Casey Anthony is a horrible person doesn't give me the right to give her a guilty verdict based on her actions after her daughter died.

1) "Zealot" is not the word you were looking for.

2) Pot, kettle, black, my friend. Your argument is itself quite "self-righteous" and sanctimonious.

3) The evidence speaks for itself that she is a horrible person--she DID NOT WANT A JOB but wanted the prestige that comes with a "good" one so she made one up. She leeched off society. She acted with callous disregard for others and is a convicted felon.

I'm absolutely, 100% sure she did it. The Internet searches were made, the tattoo was superfluous, she was out grabbing ass like nothing ever happened only hours after she de facto ADMITTED her child died, and her child was found with duct tape wrapped around the skull holding the mandible in place -- rare duct tape they proved belong to the Anthonys. She looked up how to make chloroform 84 times. She knew what she was doing, and she knew the consequences of her actions.

I wasn't on the jury, I didn't hear the evidence presented like the jury heard it. I trust the jury acted responsibly and for the right reasons, and followed the law, even though it wasn't what the mob outside the courthouse wanted. And that's why I'm proud of my country.

It's the government's responsibility to prosecute the case adequately, and they failed to do that here.

I think the prosecution presented as much evidence as well as they could, but it wasn't enough to meet the standard of 1st Degree Murder they set. I thought they'd nailed down a lesser included offense, but I was wrong (that's why I'm not an attorney).

NIKV69

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:06 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 28):
When you grow up a little, you'll learn not to be so critical of a legal system based on one data point, let alone an entire country. You shouldn't make such emotionally-charged statements without thinking them through.

Yep, more proof the media has corrupted the system. I remember the Smart case where Nancy Grace convicted Ricci simply because he had done work in the house and was a ex-con. Totally destroying him in front of the whole world. Only to find out he had nothing to do with it since Smart was kidnapped by someone else and not killed.

Grace has not to this day apoligized and Ricci died before his name could be cleared.

That is a true injustice. Why people like her should not be on television.

JBirdAV8r

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 29):
Yep, more proof the media has corrupted the system. I remember the Smart case where Nancy Grace convicted Ricci simply because he had done work in the house and was a ex-con. Totally destroying him in front of the whole world. Only to find out he had nothing to do with it since Smart was kidnapped by someone else and not killed.

She did the same to Melinda Duckett who committed suicide after being split apart by Nancy Grace.

futurepilot16

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:27 am

The Internet searches were made, the tattoo was superfluous, she was out grabbing ass like nothing ever happened only hours after she de facto ADMITTED her child died, and her child was found with duct tape wrapped around the skull holding the mandible in place -- rare duct tape they proved belong to the Anthonys.

That proves not a damn thing, other than the fact that you watch too much Nancy Grace. Any psychologists would immediately tell you that everyone in the world handles grief in different ways. Rare duct tape? Come on.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:41 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 31):
Any psychologists would immediately tell you that everyone in the world handles grief in different ways.

That's the funny thing about "expert witnesses" at trial - it generally comes down to which side can buy the best testimony. There's big money to be made in being a professional expert witness, particularly in civil cases.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

stasisLAX

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 10):
The worst part about this is that I don't think the Son of Sam Laws will be able to be applied in this case, and Casey Anthony is going to be a celebrity. Trashy celebrity rags are probably planning their ten pages of coverage right now. Furthermore, she will be able to make millions off a book deal. Yuck.

Which is exactly what a sociopath like Casey Anthony wants - attention, wealth, and celebrity.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 27):
The idea of finding your child dead and NOT calling in the whole damned world that can come to help is simply not believable.

Dear God, that is so very sad. My sincere condolences on the loss of your son.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

ltbewr

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:58 am

I think one problem in murder cases today including this one, is that the juries have been damaged by CSI and other police - forensic TV programs and movies. They didn't see the 'DNA' evidence of the alleged killer, it wasn't available, and without it in part, they thought they couldn't convict.

The Prosecution could not get enough evidence to convict per the rules of the jury had to follow.

The Defense, as much as we assail it, did the job they were paid to do, defend her to the utmost, including as they had the chance, to put out there other alternative theories of the death of Kaylee, going to far to impute horrible charges of incest and sexual abuse as to her father and her brother with no evidence either.

One thing I would love to see in all criminal trials is a total gag order from the time of arrest to the end of the trial of any person or party to discuss the case in the public or the media so not to prejudice the jury, or allow the parties or the attorneys make political statements, bring up stuff they can't in the trial.

I suspect that the Prosecution will not try her again, they need to go after others who need to be prosecuted and not spend any more of the taxpayers money for nothing.

As to Ms. Anthony ever doing a book, I doubt it will ever really sell, and besides, she could be sued civilly by maybe her dad and brother for the charges her attorney made about them. Besides, I doubt she will ever be able to work a decent job for the rest of her life, I am quite sure there are 1000's of others without her history who would be hired before her, her credit will be shot for life, never be able to vote or probably go anyplace without harassment. I don't expect her to live to an old age from natural causes or an accident.

I am concerned that there are death threats against her and the attorneys. That is totally wrong and any viable threat should be thoroughly investigated and criminal charges be brought against those that make them.

I guess now we are waiting for the $$$'s to payoff the jury to get them to talk about it. They are probably holding out for many $1000's each to make some easy money apparing on GMA, Today, CBS Morning. I wish too juries would be banned from making money or give any statements to the media as to the case assigned to them as to me it just encourages corruption of a jury, the last thing we need.

Dreadnought

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:35 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 33):

Dear God, that is so very sad. My sincere condolences on the loss of your son.

Thank you, and that brings up something else. It's been over 12 years since my son died, and we have finally, I think learned to live with it. We've never been blamed for his death - his condition was completely asymptomatic and undetectable short of an angiocardiogram, but we've always carried around some guilt that maybe there was something, somehow that we should have done differently.

Unless you are a complete and utter sociopath incapable of remorse or empathy, I cannot imagine living with the guilt if we had waited as long as an extra 5 minutes before calling in the paramedics. In our case it did not matter because, as we learned later he had passed away some 3-4 hours earlier, but at the moment, the natural human reaction is to call for help. The idea that someone would discover their child (or grandchild) dead and not make that call and say, "Oh, well..." would be the sign of a complete sociopath, and while I believe that these people exist (and I think Casey Anthony is one), I find it extremely difficult to believe that she AND her parents would such sociopaths.

Put it this way - if Casey Anthony were a normal person, and had a) accidentally killed her daughter, or b) didn't kill her but also did not report her disappearance, I don't see how she doesn't eat a bullet.

StarAC17

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 am

What worries me is that this sets a dangerous precedent for future cases. Just right now, there's a case of a little boy who was killed about a year or two ago and the mother is still wandering around without any charges filed against her, even after she was found to be a drug user and after she and her parents quickly covered the scene of the crime (a mattress and the floor, both stained with blood, were washed and no traces were ever found). It is of common knowledge here that she is responsible for this boy's death, especially when she too did not report the boy's death until much later.

See the problem with that is that its all speculation I'm afraid, and I'm sure you are right. But if we start convicting people of crimes based on speculation then it opens up a can of worms and far more people that didn't commit crimes are going to end up in jail.

For this case as you describe it to get this mother you would need someone to testify against her.

That's how the system works you have to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt usually needing conclusive evidence or testimony against the defendant, which is far harder because a good defense lawyer with the resources can discredit a witness during cross-examination.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 16):
So she was found guilty of lying in every case, yet the jury didn't believe she killed her daughter?

That's a charge for perjury and/or obstruction of justice which they got her one but not for Murder 1 especially when she was probably looking at the chair for this.

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 26):
Not really. I would much rather have a smaller tribunal of judges come to a verdict than a jury of my peers. Although the basic concepts of a common law trial hasn't changed for the past few centuries, I think that so much more information is thrown at a jury than ever before -- especially in a trial of this magnitude. Not only that, but trial lawyers, defense attorneys, and prosecutors, both in civil and criminal litigation are probably the least ethical people next to bookmakers and psychics.

I see where your coming from with juries but they are picked by the DA and the defense and the judge and the eventual 12 are selected based on no pre-conceived notion about the defendant, if you were to suspect that a defendant was guilty because your watch too much Nancy Grace then you wouldn't be selected as a juror. My brother was dismissed from jury duty because he assumed a defendant was guilty before even seeing any of the case.

As for lawyers being unethical I know where your coming from but its there job and it isn't a pretty one. Defense lawyers have to work to let a killer walk free and DA's have to potentially put an innocent person away, I would reckon its tough to live with either scenario.

They also have to follow a set of rules and ethics to practice law and pass the BAR exam to do so, if lawyers use illegal means to obtain evidence they are punished for it, disbarred or face criminal chargers themselves. Its a self-regulating profession so if you eff up you go up against a panel of other lawyers to face your punishment.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

NIKV69

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:53 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 31):
That proves not a damn thing, other than the fact that you watch too much Nancy Grace. Any psychologists would immediately tell you that everyone in the world handles grief in different ways. Rare duct tape? Come on.

We rarely agree on things but you are pretty right here. The 24 hour news cycle has really changed the way society views trials and people with way too much time on their hands inject themselves into these things when they should go make use of the O2 they are breathing.

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 33):
Which is exactly what a sociopath like Casey Anthony wants - attention, wealth, and celebrity.

How? Is that because Nancy Grace devoted her show to predicting her appearences, book deals and such? You don't know this girl from Adam except what the ambush media has fed us.

flymia

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:13 am

There are so many flaws in our justice system. Even if she had been found guilty, she would still have gotten out of prison by pleading insanity. This is what's wrong with America.

Well this really showed the justice system worked my friend. The evidence was not there. There was doubt and by the law if there is doubt a convintion should and can not happen.

The thing I see with juries is people do not like jury duty, and many try to get out of it. I even delayed my jury duty a year since I was an out of state college student. The problem with that is a lot of the people who are on juries end up not being lets just say the best society has to offer. Anyone can lie and say they are racist or biased for the prosecution etc.. But people who are not employed or have a job they do not like do not see jury duty as a problem. Also people like Lawyers for obivous reasons, doctors, teachers, upper management at companies etc.. Just cant do jury duty to begin with the responsibilites that come with their jobs.

I understand that there was doubt I really do. But the defense case was terrible and made no sense at all. If I am on that jury I cant say for sure she is guilty but I would want a re-trial. Of course that is not something a jury can decide and they did what they had to do. If there was only some better physical evidence. What gets me the most is why did she not get child abuse. She obviously neglected the child and it is pretty obvious she dealt with the dead body.

I think everyone knows she had something to do with her death.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:15 am

Before I say anything else, I'm not passing judgment one way or another on anyone related to this trial. She was found not guilty of murder, and that's that.

I happen to know something about this unfortunately. My son died in our house (sudden death, while he slept). We IMMEDIATELY called the ambulance, even though I was 100% sure Laurent was dead - his facial expression was like nothing a live child could make. I did CPR, and every other thing I knew how to do, just on the off-chance, one in a million possibility that he could be revived. I'm no doctor - he looked dead to me but I could have been wrong.

My condolences. 
I wasn't on the jury, I didn't hear the evidence presented like the jury heard it. I trust the jury acted responsibly and for the right reasons, and followed the law, even though it wasn't what the mob outside the courthouse wanted. And that's why I'm proud of my country.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
Unless you are a complete and utter sociopath incapable of remorse or empathy, I cannot imagine living with the guilt if we had waited as long as an extra 5 minutes before calling in the paramedics.
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
The idea that someone would discover their child (or grandchild) dead and not make that call and say, "Oh, well..." would be the sign of a complete sociopath, and while I believe that these people exist (and I think Casey Anthony is one), I find it extremely difficult to believe that she AND her parents would such sociopaths.

As someone else said, grief and extreme mental shock manifest themselves in strange ways. My family was in a plane crash when I was 8 (which we all survived). But as we were moving away from the burning plane, my dad just sort of sat down and stopped. Somehow his mind told him that he could stop where he was and be OK. That might have been true, but he had two young kids and a wife yelling at him to get up and keep moving - his mind just seemed to briefly forget about that.

And no, my dad's not a sociopath.  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

keagkid101

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:16 am

[quote=JBirdAV8r,reply=28]When you grow up a little, you'll learn not to be so critical of a legal system based on one data point, let alone an entire country. You shouldn't make such emotionally-charged statements without thinking them through.[quote]

This such a stereotypical comment. Yes, most teens don't think through/have a concrete thought/opinion on a matter without it being influenced by the media. I however, am not easily convinced/influenced by the media's statement. I have researched the case by-myself, and read the jurors ruling, and I have formed an opinion on this case. Accept it, or don't.

And my opinion on our corrupt justice system is not based just on this case. My opinion is also influenced in cases in which a very healthy individual commits a brutal crime, and then pleads insanity. This gets them out of prison, and we all know damn well that the person is completely and 100% "all there", yet they are given a less harsh punishment.

vaporlock

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 am

Suprised? No.... Casey Anthony has to live the rest of her life knowing how her daughter died. Trust me - what comes around goes around she will get hers in the end.

Caylee lost her life at such a young age and sure didn't deserve it! RIP little one!

VAPS

Springbok747

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am

Even if they did, they can't convict based on what was presented.

True. The jury did an excellent job here..even though it was the wrong verdict. The prosecutors admitted they didn't have enough evidence to convict her on murder 1. But acquitting her was just plain wrong..when I bet every one of those people knew she was guilty as sin.

Little Caylee must be turning in her grave..mommy just got away with murder.

My son died in our house (sudden death, while he slept). We IMMEDIATELY called the ambulance, even though I was 100% sure Laurent was dead - his facial expression was like nothing a live child could make. I did CPR, and every other thing I knew how to do, just on the off-chance, one in a million possibility that he could be revived. I'm no doctor - he looked dead to me but I could have been wrong.

Really sorry to hear that.  
אני תומך בישראל

YVRLTN

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 am

Quoting keagkid101 (Reply 40):
And my opinion on our corrupt justice system is not based just on this case. My opinion is also influenced in cases in which a very healthy individual commits a brutal crime, and then pleads insanity. This gets them out of prison, and we all know damn well that the person is completely and 100% "all there", yet they are given a less harsh punishment.

We had a thread recently about the death penalty, it was discussed that potentially innocent persons were given the needle probably in very similar circumstances. It seems a no brainer, who else could it have been? Yet it was stated time and time again - in the best case scenario for those who support the death penalty - if there is no 110% concrete DNA evidence, irrefutable multiple eyewitness or CCTV footage, then the punishment should not be committed. While obviously death is irreversible so should not be trifled with at all, in principle locking someone up is the same. So in this case, the justice system worked and its not corrupt - what happened has been called for to happen in so many other cases, it could not be proved 110% she did it, so she is acquitted. So if Casey had been sent to Old Sparkey, we would have had the same death penalty debate again - if youre not 100% sure blah blah give her the benefit of the doubt just in case she is innocent.

And for the record, if a person really did do something like this, they have to be at least partially insane - no completely sane person would commit murder. And in this case, if guilty, Casey must be pretty insane now after trying to hide it for so long and thinking about getting zapped to death every day since. Her life is so f'd its not worth living, I bet she wont make it past 35 tops.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:14 am

All I gotta say:

Though personally, I'd rather see the guilty walk than the innocent locked up, RIP to the child  

futurepilot16

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:55 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 44):
Though personally, I'd rather see the guilty walk than the innocent locked up, RIP to the child  

In the end they will get theirs...karmic justice as I stated before. OJ got his and is now in jail, Anthony will get hers as well.

Find me some statistics to back up the fact that you think people plead insanity by such a high percentage and i'll take you seriously. But because I know you probably won't find anything, I will only say that beating the system is also a part of the system. Complain all you want, but no justice system is perfect.

JBirdAV8r

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:56 am

Yes, most teens don't think through/have a concrete thought/opinion on a matter without it being influenced by the media. I however, am not easily convinced/influenced by the media's statement. I have researched the case by-myself, and read the jurors ruling, and I have formed an opinion on this case. Accept it, or don't.

1) All teenagers think they know everything.  

2) Your opinion on the case is your right, but you threw America as a whole under the bus because of this one verdict. That shows extreme naivete.

I maintain: When you get a little older, you'll learn why what you said is silly.

Cadet985

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 am

Furthermore, I would just like to point out to those who are angry at the Jury, that they did their jobs correctly. I've been on news message boards since they read the verdict and the overwhelming majority is angry at the Jury for not convicting this "malicious murderer for killing her beautiful young child". The problem with statements like this is that it's based on emotion and nothing else, for what it's worth, conviction based on emotion is the reason why innocent people get sent to prison. Not saying she was innocent, but this shows why it took so long to summon an actual Jury who would look at evidence (or lack thereof) and reach a verdict based on that.

Unfortunately I have to concede the fact that there never was any direct evidence linking her to the murder (even if the circumstances indicate that she did play a role).

I've been reminding my Facebook friends and Twitter followers of these points all day. There is no crime possible that will get a conviction solely on circumstantial evidence. While I do believe that Casey is in some way responsible for the death of their daughter, as others have said, the prosecution did not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. It is not fair to call the jurors inept, stupid, etc. Among the directions every juror is given in every case is to deliberate solely on the evidence and arguments presented, and that personal feelings not come into factor when deliberating. I am sure that there are people on that jury who thought that she was guilty as hell, but there was no evidence to support that.

Might I add that after explaining this to friends online and in person all day, I am getting very tempted to look into taking the LSAT!

Marc

runner13

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:17 am

Look I don't know if she did it or not. I'm not going to give my opinion on that. Although I didn't really keep up with this case, and only saw the highlights on regular news, when they showed the pictures of Kaylee being able to open the sliding glass door, and being able to get in the pool on her own, I knew how this would end up. The prosecution did a horrible job, and I don't think the defense did a great job either. But like others have said, the prosecution did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

StarAC17

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 42):
True. The jury did an excellent job here..even though it was the wrong verdict. The prosecutors admitted they didn't have enough evidence to convict her on murder 1. But acquitting her was just plain wrong..when I bet every one of those people knew she was guilty as sin.

They probably could have got her on a lesser charge but the DA didn't go for it for whatever reason. You can't charge someone for one thing and go for the lesser charge, also its not unconstitutional to try her again.

She was probably offered multiple deals up until the verdict and her lawyer knew that they weren't going to get a conviction on Murder 1 so they take the case to court and its all or nothing.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 44):

Darn tootin'

And my opinion on our corrupt justice system is not based just on this case. My opinion is also influenced in cases in which a very healthy individual commits a brutal crime, and then pleads insanity.

I'm not a legal expert but I don't know how you can convict someone of murder 1 (pre-meditated) and get off on an insanity charge. You planned to kill someone and if you pull it off that seems like a sane conclusion to come to.

Just because you plead insanity doesn't mean you are going to be acquitted on those grounds. IIRC very few times does it work also you aren't simply going to walk your going to get hauled off to the nuthouse to say it plainly. The only real time you are going to escape a murder conviction Scott free is under self defense and that would not be a Murder 1 charge.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!