Superfly

RE: Do You Trust The Government To Educate Your Child?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 am

RE: Reply #47

Gosh I need to go back to school. Learning a new language is compromising my own English.   

I meant to type;
"Then the teacher is out of work and the school is saddled with teachers that don't really give a damn."

"Schools aren't compulsory either in those countries."
Bring back the Concorde

ALTF4
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm

I meant for this thread to be about the corruption in (some!) public schools, but I see I hit a nerve with some people on homeschooling. Interesting. Apologies in advance for the length of the post - feel free to skim but please read the last two paragraphs.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 48):
I think homeschooling deprives children of many, both positive and negative social experiences, which simply can not be replicated in the home environment.

I love it when people say that. You might be right - did I have less time with my peers? Sure, but that is not as bad as you think. Almost all homeschooled kids spend time with others in group learning situations - I remember visiting many nature reservations, museums, exhibits and other assorted learning activities with others. In fact, I remember visiting several places, studying the exhibit, and in rolled the public school field trips. The group of 50+ kids crowded the room, and only a very few could actually see what was being talked about by the tour guide. After a whirlwind tour of the highlights, with most kids picking their nose, talking with the others, or petting each other in certain areas (in third grade, mind you), they moved in to a different exhibit. You could ask any of those kids what they had just seen, and you'd get blank stares.

Also, parents that teach their kids at home are also more likely, in my experience, to expose their kids to the world in other ways. After all, they view the younger years as a learning experience - so instead of sheltering the kids at home, the parents take them out and about to do things. I can't tell you how many times I got chided for "skipping school" by some complete stranger. That wouldn't have happened if I spent my time all by my lonesome self.

The type of social interaction some of these public school kids get is pitiful. Any outsider to a group is harassed, belittled, or picked on for no reason. In a society where "being inclusive" is the Utopian goal, let me assure you, the groups I was in were a hell of a lot more inclusive. Kids will be kids, of course, but the respect and consideration was breathtakingly different.

Many of my friends who went to public schools had a hard time interacting with adults, and quite frankly, still do. It is pitiful to see a 21 year old guy not know how to talk to or interact with his professor on a personal basis, or not know how to break the ice and have a more personal, meaningful relationship with coworkers. I actually preferred interacting with adults when I was younger, because I found them to be much more mature (imagine that?) and cared about what matters in life. If I'm going to spend the majority of my life working with adults and being one, doesn't it make sense to spend time with them and learn from them when I am younger? I think it has paid off. I know I'm just another anonymous face on the internet to everybody else, and I have no way of backing up what I say. However, I can wholeheartedly say that nobody would get to where I am in life at such a young age if they had completely missed the whole socialization process that kids need. Nor would most kids be where I am in life at such a young age if they were a product of the public school socialization process; you know, lack of respect for authority, and all the other BS that goes along with the process.

Further, I don't see why we try to teach kids social skills in a fake environment. Where else in life are you segregated by age, income-level, race, and learning ability? Yes, public schools are quite racially segregated; the inner-city schools by me are almost exclusively one race, and the suburban schools are almost exclusively another race. Where else in life do you get away with abusive behavior, disrespect of authority, and a lazy work ethic? Nowhere if you want to have any glimmer of hope of being successful in life. Discipline and school go hand-in-hand in a home learning environment, and I think I am far better off because of that.

Also, you say homeschooled kids might be deprived of negative social experiences? Some bad things can make us stronger (which would then make that experience a positive), but if the experience is truly a negative - and there is no redeeming value to that experience - you think that is a bad thing for the child to not be exposed to that?

One other huge benefit is I taught myself to learn on my own - and I loved it. Instead of browsing facebook all day like most of my peers, I have lists of things to go learn or research. I remember being bored as hell one week one summer and teaching myself more than three intro classes taught me in college, combined. I got more out of that one week than three semester-long classes. Those classes, in case you are curious, were a class on server systems security, server systems administration, and a database administration class. I tested out of two of them, only because of what I learned that week.

You see, in a homeschool environment, the parents don't stand at the chalk board and teach like people think. Instead, once the kid is able to read and comprehend on their own, they get a stack of books and assignments. You teach yourself how to learn. Tests grade your ability to learn. Instead of being told that you learn best in a class with kids throwing spitballs at each other while sitting on hard, wooden desks with numb rear ends and blinking florescent lights, I was able to experiment and discover how I learned best. Apparently that worked, because the adjustment to college life where supposedly it is a lot more self-driven that high school (I wouldn't know?) was non-existent for me. I also had the drive and dedication to learn on my own, which has paid off a ton. Now that I have perfected how I learn, I am light-years ahead of others simply because I can absorb information faster and better. Of course that is not the best environment for every kid, though, and years ago, several of my friends who suffered in such an environment were enrolled in public school the following year. The parents realized they couldn't effectively teach the kid.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 49):
I'm not sure that it's the religious issues that drive the parents to home school. The folks I know that home school do tend to be more religious than others I know (certainly not as religious as some of the parents at my kids' school) but, they seem to be more frustrated by the public school system and believe they can offer better to their children. Is there a religious component? Probably. Is it the driver? No, I doubt it.

. People assume only religious people teach their kids at home. Not true at all. People also think evolution is never taught at home; again, not true at all.

Quite obviously a lot of people here are basing their ideas completely on observations made from a great distance. I don't blame you, but a lot of the ideas put forth here are quite wrong, to be frank. I'm not trying to convert everybody to thinking its the best thing since sliced bread, but I find it interesting that so many people are so vehemently against the idea. Of course it is not for everybody, of course there are downsides, of course some parents don't go about it correctly, of course there are some serious issues that can arise, and on and on and on and on. Don't forget the downsides of public education, either. For my parents, who could not afford to send my siblings and I through private school, I think their choice was a smart one and I am thankful that they did what they did.

I'm constantly amazed that so many people try to tell me I'm a social failure, or have no chance in life, though, without meeting me or knowing me. You might decide to never teach your kids at home (and for the sake of some kids, that is good), but I'm amazed at the backlash I get when people find out I was. I also find it hilarious when people I have known for a few years find out I was homeschooled. They are stunned, because I guess I don't fit their stereotypical idea of what I should be - and the kids that do fit that stereotype are few and far between, and quite frankly, probably would still be a mess even if they were educated in a public school.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

seb146

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 5):
Parents that care about their Children's education in a disadvantaged area will have already gone to a Charter School or Private school.

That can afford it. Some parents really want to send their children to charter or private school but have to work three minimum wage jobs just to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads. This is one flaw of having the right-wing get involved with education: They are only concerned about the bottom line; how much money is made. Same with health care: If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 5):
Fudging the numbers is one of the reasons I never supported the No Child left behind act as the teachers get punished for issues beyond their control.

Some kids do not want to test, some kids are sick that day and some kids excel in some areas but not others. What does one test one day of the year prove?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MarSciGuy

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 40):
But, what if the system is geared in the direction of indoctrination? Again, global warming, because it is one of the prevalent topics: it is being taught as settled science. we know it isn't. It's probably the most controversial science issue out there right now, but the schools are teaching it as gospel. And, that is indoctrination.

Just as a matter of note - almost no science is strictly settled... Plate tectonics for example is still very much only a theory, though there are reams and reams of documented evidence to suggest that it exists, we cannot be 100% sure it operates strictly as we think it does today.

It still needs to be taught, and discussed, but as a science teacher I don't say "this is how it is" but "this is what we can deduce from evidence x, y and z. Using these three pieces of evidence provided to you, try and figure out where you think plate boundary A would be"... There IS plenty of evidence to back up global warming, ust like there are plenty of pieces of evidence that may suggest it doesn't operate as some scientists currently think it does. That does not mean you ust throw the whole lot under the rug and forget about it! If that were the case, we would be in the Middle Ages still in respect to science - one view and one view only, nothing else accepted (for fear of losing your head or burning at the stake).
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

windy95

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Thread starter):
Do You Trust The Government To Educate Your Child?

No...Send my child to a private school and will continue to through High School.

NorthstarBoy

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Thread starter):
So, do you trust your government to properly educate your kids? Do you trust people who are focused on advancing their career and getting honors and recognition while they claim to put your kid's future as their highest goal?

Sorry, this kind of thing has nothing to do with advancing one's career. IMO, This has to do with Nanny State trying to narrow the achievement gap between mostly poor/minority inner city schools and mostly middle and upper class white suburban schools. Nanny State assumes that all things being equal that the minority kids can do just as well on standardized tests as their better off white peers so they put financial pressure on the schools to teach the things they (Nanny State) feels the kids need to know as represented by the test. When the kids fail the test, the government invokes all kinds of sanctions believing that the teachers just aren't teaching the right things in the right way.

In answer to the question, I do trust the government to educate my nonexistent child but at the same time education only works when it's treated as a partnership between the student, the teacher and the parents. All three parties need to be connected and engaged for the student to recieve a meaningful education.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

fr8mech

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 53):
Just as a matter of note - almost no science is strictly settled... Plate tectonics for example is still very much only a theory, though there are reams and reams of documented evidence to suggest that it exists, we cannot be 100% sure it operates strictly as we think it does today.

You're right, but plate tectonics is the political footbal that the theory of global warming or man-made climate change is.

My point is that when the government sets the curriculum and that same government has decided on some sort of political agenda, we, as parents and responsible citizens, should be ensuring that the government's agenda is not taught as gospel, but as a viewpoint. That's all I'm saying.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

BMI727

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:15 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 52):
This is one flaw of having the right-wing get involved with education: They are only concerned about the bottom line; how much money is made.

I disagree. You see, education is the legitimate form of welfare.

If you choose to use it and take advantage of the opportunities given, anyone can succeed. But if some would rather stand on the street corner and smoke, I am not about to provide welfare for their entire life or lose sleep over their inability to enter the middle class. If you want something, you must earn it, and that starts in education.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

san747

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 56):
we, as parents and responsible citizens, should be ensuring that the government's agenda is not taught as gospel, but as a viewpoint. That's all I'm saying.

Here's my question: if your child was taught all the sides of various issues and explained that the government's "agenda" is a viewpoint and not gospel, and he/she decided after hearing both sides that they thought that the government's viewpoint makes more sense to them, would you accept it or attempt to influence them to your point of view?

Let's just use the old standard of global warming and man's influence on it. If your child is taught evidence that shows human influence on climate change, and then shown evidence that it's a natural fluctuation beyond anything we can do, and your child decides the former makes more sense to them than the latter, would you accept that because he/she has been taught both/all sides?

[Edited 2011-07-09 14:51:31]
Scotty doesn't know...

fr8mech

Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:14 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 58):
Here's my question: if your child was taught all the sides of various issues and explained that the government's "agenda" is a viewpoint and not gospel, and he/she decided after hearing both sides that they thought that the government's viewpoint makes more sense to them, would you accept it or attempt to influence them to your point of view?

Of course I would accept her or him. I'm not producing clones. I'm trying to raise thinking members of society. It would make for interesting discussion at the dinner table, but that's it. Hell, growing up, I was the only Conservative in the house. Mom, Dad, both siblings...various levels of Liberal.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

san747

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:50 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 59):

Of course I would accept her or him. I'm not producing clones. I'm trying to raise thinking members of society. It would make for interesting discussion at the dinner table, but that's it. Hell, growing up, I was the only Conservative in the house. Mom, Dad, both siblings...various levels of Liberal.

Well OK, that's fair, your heart is in the right place. Too many times I see people (and several posters to this thread) wanting their specific viewpoint on the world taught to their kids to the exclusion of any others, when the real purpose of education is to learn how to think critically.
Scotty doesn't know...

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 am

Quoting superfly (Reply 1):
Considering all the focus to indoctrinate kids in to global warming / climate change and feminism, I'd say no.
This story is shocking but sadly, I am not surprised.

Not just to indoctrinate them with that, but to indoctrinate them with all things progressive/liberal. Public school is like liberal/progressive prep school preparing them for the colleges and universities where things are even worse! It's a complete fairy tale there, with super liberal/progressive professors outnumbering those with more conservative view points by about 10-1. The education they get is all one sided for the most part. Drive through your local university or HS faculty parking lot and just count all the Volvos and hybrids sporting bumper stickers against global warming, or George Bush. Or even still sporting Obama/Biden, or even John Kerry for President stickers. Peace stickers, No War for Oil, Celebrate Diversity stickers. The list goes on and on

These days ask you average high school student (or even college student) when the Civil War or World War 1 or 2 happened, and most cant even come close. Nor can they correctly locate U.S. states, or other countries and their respective continents on a map! Most can't tell you something as simple as what temperature water freezes at, or correctly identify our last four presidents. However, they can tell you all about things like feminist perspectives or how it's perfectly normal to have two moms or two dads, or why the man that wants to wear women's clothing to class and use the ladies room is completely normal. They can tell you all about "celebrating diversity" and all things liberal, but when it comes to basic history, math, English, etc. a lot of them are dumb as hell. Out comes to calculators to solve basic math problems. Out comes the spell check to correct misspelled words longer than two syllables! Compared to youth from other countries, and even those from the USA who have been privately educated, the students who are products of public education are light years behind. Besides, these days in public school, about 3/4 of class time is spent trying to deal with disruptive, unruly, disrespectful students. There's no control in public schools anymore. When you loose that, trying to learn goes out the window!

My uncle is a public school teacher of 30 years. Even he notices the dumb students of today. He teaches in a school five miles from the Atlantic Ocean, and he's actually quizzed students about which coast we live on, and a few have actually thought we were on the Pacific coast!

If I ever have kids I'll do whatever it takes to get them out of the public school system by the time they enter Middle school! All it produces is a bunch of dumbed down idiots who've been educated in a feminists, liberal/progressive, let's sit around and hold hands and sing koombya environment. Not only that, but anybody who has gone through school in the last twenty years had been brought up to think everybody is a winner and there are no losers. Then they enter the real world they can't except criticism when they suck and get chewed out over their failures in the workforce, because they've always been praised and protected from ever getting their self esteem hurt.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 42):
No! It's a socialist plot to teach secularism and anti-capitalism to our precious children.

Almost. If you're a minority religion, the public schools praise that. Give the students private prayer rooms. Let them wear head scarves when the general student body might have to follow a dress code that says no headgear or hats allowed. Have focus days on these minority religions sacred days to teach the other students about the religion and culture, etc. But, if you're a traditional American who's part of this country's majority Christan population you're almost forced not even mention your religion or anything related to it. No prayer in school. No Christmas parties in elementary school anymore. Traditional Christmas songs are either excluded from holiday chorus or band performances, or, the lyrics are changed to make the songs secular as to no offend the minority. The Christmas concert performance of 'Oh Christmas Tree" is reworded to be "Oh Holiday Tree" or "Oh Winter Festivas Tree" These days a lot of public school won't even let the Boy Scots hold their meetings in the gym after class hours because they don't support gay rights and are deemed to be discriminatory.

[Edited 2011-07-11 19:24:04]

Superfly

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:45 am

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 61):

That is very scary and doesn't bold well for the future.
Last year, my friend's son turned 16 and I had asked him if he was excited about getting his driver's license. He told me that he didn't want to drive because cars pollute and are dangerous and is waiting for more public rail lines to be built. He lives in Hemet, Ca which is far away from any subway lines and none will ever be build there (at least not in his lifetime) as it's rural/suburbia. It's also a very conservative part of California yet the public schools in the area have ecotards in the education system.
When I turned 16 (1989), it was a right of passage to get your driver's license on your 16th. birthday.
My niece went through a vegetarian phase at an early age. Her 3rd. grade teacher was telling the class that eating meat is murder and murdering animals for human consumption was evil.

or, the lyrics are changed to make the songs secular as to no offend the minority. The Christmas concert performance of 'Oh Christmas Tree" is reworded to be "Oh Holiday Tree" or "Oh Winter Festivas Tree"

Gee wiz! That doesn't even rhyme!   

Though this story involves one college, many public schools will head in this direction unless something changes which I don't see coming;
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1818177/posts
Bring back the Concorde

MoltenRock

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 62):
Though this story involves one college, many public schools will head in this direction unless something changes which I don't see coming;
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-...posts

BFD. That's what happens when 5%, 10%, and even 15% of your student body / populace / citizens are ____________ (gay, Muslim, black, Asian, blind, whatever).

I've seen similar non-issues turned into "uproars" like removing pork from certain school menus or on certain days. When I was going to school our cafeteria only served fish or non-meat dishes on Fridays out of consideration for Catholics, and no one fussed then. But now that it's Islam and pork, some people are outraged, which is just ridiculous.

Personally, walking into a bathroom and seeing someone washing their feet in the regular sink basins, along with legs and other body parts while slopping water everywhere is gross. But I digress...

Americans will just have to deal with stuff like this. As of 2010 children under 3 years old are now 51% non-white, which is just a fact of life as the USA switches from a predominately white, Judeo-Christian country into a predominately non-white, plurality where religion too is a plurality.

Superfly

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 63):
But now that it's Islam and pork, some people are outraged, which is just ridiculous.

Actually there was no "outrage" over the news story I brought up.
Just a small example as to why some people may not feel comfortable with public education at this point in time.

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 63):
As of 2010 children under 3 years old are now 51% non-white,

Why are you dragging race in to this discussion?
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:34 pm

What are you talking about? I've been out of HS for about 3 years, and what you say can't be further from the truth. I mean there are some idiots who don't care here and there, but come on man, I don't think anyone actually believes those "half of students can't locate the US on a map" polls...

Superfly

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:22 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 65):

Where did you go to school?
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 am

In Fayette County, GA. College at NGCSU. Not many times did I meet people as dumb as some posters have suggested. I agree my generation is very entitled and kind of lazy, but I fail to see the evil liberal influence. In fact, I've seen more of a conservative atmosphere

Superfly

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 67):
In Fayette County, GA.

Upper-middle class to well off area of Atlanta metro. You probably have some of the best public schools in the area with better quality of teachers. Not too many low hanging fruit teachers passing through your schools. You're also in the Deep South which is a very conservative region. The quality of education in Fayette County, GA is a lot better than in Atlanta or DeKalb.
What pwm2txlhopper is true of a lot of public schools. Another example; I know of teachers that show the Michael Moore movie 'Super-Size Me' and teach it as the most enlightening educational documentary ever made and treat what Moore's says as gospel. I know a high school 'English' teacher that showed this movie to her class. I can't figure out how this move is related to teaching reading & writing skills.
You have some public schools that have weeds growing out of the swimming pools and tennis courts because they haven't been used in decades. Yet students learn of lawsuits and know how to sew for obesity. I see a severe problem with all of this.
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:55 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 68):

Never said there wasn't a problem. I think education is what is most crucial to success in life. Look more at the post I was replying to, I think it was a bit over the top, and I mostly was commenting on the liberal/conservative aspect of it. I do know my school system was one of the best in the nation, but talking and interacting with people in college (with people coming from all over the country) I fail to see how they were liberally indoctrinated.

Superfly

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 69):
talking and interacting with people in college (with people coming from all over the country) I fail to see how they were liberally indoctrinated.

Well of course. They made it in to college. Try talking to their classmates that didn't graduate or didn't go to college.
Some public schools have an over 60% drop out rate. You won't meet those in college.
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:05 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 70):

True, but once again, I fail to see how the supposed liberal mindset causes this (or that it even exists in schools.) As far as how smart kids are, I think we are basically arguing the same thing, just to a bit different degree and tune

OzarkD9S

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:08 am

If I was dumb enough to have a child I might be dumb enough to let the gov educate them.  
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Superfly

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 71):
True, but once again, I fail to see how the supposed liberal mindset causes this

At the moment, you're entrenched in a lot of it and can't really see it at the moment. Over time you'll realize it.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 72):
If I was dumb enough to have a child I might be dumb enough to let the gov educate them.

LOL!   
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 73):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 71):
True, but once again, I fail to see how the supposed liberal mindset causes this

At the moment, you're entrenched in a lot of it and can't really see it at the moment. Over time you'll realize it.

Examples? The only true "liberal" influence I've seen was in sociology class, but that mostly just taught me that most poor people aren't lazy idiots. I mean, you could be right, but I'm just not seeing it. Perhaps it's the fact I'm a Criminal Justice major at a military college in the south, but this menacing liberal mindset that I'm supposedly trapped in? If anything, a.net has been the biggest liberal machine I've seen in a while lol

MarSciGuy

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 56):
Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 53):

You're right, but plate tectonics is the political footbal that the theory of global warming or man-made climate change is.

My point is that when the government sets the curriculum and that same government has decided on some sort of political agenda, we, as parents and responsible citizens, should be ensuring that the government's agenda is not taught as gospel, but as a viewpoint. That's all I'm saying.

My point was that they are both THEORIES... as a science teacher you need to teach science as science, and leave the political opinions out - that means teaching some theories that are not necessarily popular to conservatives (or liberals for that matter) but Creationism IS NOT science and cannot be taught as such. just like with plate tectonics, where there are many different pieces of evidence, there are many pieces of evidence to support global warming theory as it stands now, from ice cores, to ocean acidification and such. There are also some less "bulletproof" pieces of evidence that are being used to support it.

Are we really going to have to have a "scopes trial" to validate science teachers teaching science all over again?
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

Superfly

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 74):
Perhaps it's the fact I'm a Criminal Justice major at a military college in the south

Then you wont be exposed to it there. Your school is more of an exeption than the rule.
Best of luck at your school and lock up those crooks after you finish!  
Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 75):
Creationism IS NOT science

Agreed!
Global warming isn't science either. It's just manipulated scientific data.
The environmentalist and evangelical Christians are cut from the same cloth.
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 76):
Then you wont be exposed to it there.

Dodged a bullet then! lol. I'm kinda interested in that whole topic, gonna start a thread on the matter...

san747

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 62):

Last year, my friend's son turned 16 and I had asked him if he was excited about getting his driver's license. He told me that he didn't want to drive because cars pollute and are dangerous and is waiting for more public rail lines to be built. He lives in Hemet, Ca which is far away from any subway lines and none will ever be build there (at least not in his lifetime) as it's rural/suburbia. It's also a very conservative part of California yet the public schools in the area have ecotards in the education system.

Interesting, I live in San Jacinto, which is in the Hemet Valley. That kid's only folly in his case is that it will be a long time before there's a rail line into Hemet. There are proposals, but nothing solid. But is it "liberal" to not want a car at 16? I didn't, if just for the fact that its so ridiculously expensive at that age (and in that area).

What pwm2txlhopper is true of a lot of public schools. Another example; I know of teachers that show the Michael Moore movie 'Super-Size Me' and teach it as the most enlightening educational documentary ever made and treat what Moore's says as gospel.

That would be an interesting point if Michael Moore had made that movie. It was actually made by Morgan Spurlock, who is actually quite conservative if you look into him. He's certainly no Michael Moore. And at any rate, why is promoting a healthy diet and lifestyle considered "liberal" now? I remember that even 20 years ago, it was the conservatives promoting these ideas above all others.

I know a high school 'English' teacher that showed this movie to her class. I can't figure out how this move is related to teaching reading & writing skills.

English is more than just reading and writing, it's also critical thinking and comprehension.

Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 75):

Are we really going to have to have a "scopes trial" to validate science teachers teaching science all over again?

Probably, that's the sad thing.
Scotty doesn't know...

MarSciGuy

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 76):
Global warming isn't science either. It's just manipulated scientific data.
The environmentalist and evangelical Christians are cut from the same cloth.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree on that one... I'd prefer to avoid world war 3  

Superfly

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 78):
But is it "liberal" to not want a car at 16?

His reasons were for environmental reasons.

And at any rate, why is promoting a healthy diet and lifestyle considered "liberal" now?

Well if schools are no longer using many of their athletic facilities, whose fault is that?

I remember that even 20 years ago, it was the conservatives promoting these ideas above all others.

But now it has a litigious element to it.

English is more than just reading and writing, it's also critical thinking and comprehension.

Well of course. Still not sure why films like Super-Size me fit's in to the curriculum.
Bring back the Concorde

san747

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 80):

His reasons were for environmental reasons.

Good for him. If he's decided he feels that cars pollute and are dangerous, that's his prerogative.

Well if schools are no longer using many of their athletic facilities, whose fault is that?

That's a good question, but I highly doubt it's "liberals."

But now it has a litigious element to it.

I don't understand what you mean.

Well of course. Still not sure why films like Super-Size me fit's in to the curriculum.

I saw that movie in my American Government/Civics class in 11th grade. Afterwards, we, as a class, discussed the points in the film. I don't know where many of the posters here went to school, but I wasn't just placed in a classroom and fed information like an IV and sent home. We were taught subjects, then discussed them and told to form our own opinions based on our appraisal of the evidence.

That's what school is supposed to do, and if yours (not you 'fly, just in general) did not do that, that is a bigger problem than any perceived political bias.
Scotty doesn't know...

Superfly

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 81):
Good for him. If he's decided he feels that cars pollute and are dangerous, that's his prerogative.

Therefore I didn't challenge him. I just know that back in my day (not that long ago), 16 year olds couldn't wait to get their driver's license. Especially in car dependant suburbs of SoCal. When I and his father were 16, we wanted to drive because it was so much easier to get girls if you had a car.
Girls just weren’t interested in guys on Huffys or waiting on the bus stop.

That's a good question, but I highly doubt it's "liberals."

I doubt its conservatives. What is the make up of these teacher's unions and school boards? Especially in school with the most decrepit facilities?

That's ok. It's alright.
Bring back the Concorde

san747

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:15 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 82):
Especially in car dependant suburbs of SoCal. When I and his father were 16, we wanted to drive because it was so much easier to get girls if you had a car.
Girls just weren’t interested in guys on Huffys or waiting on the bus stop.

Hey, I'm not saying I agree with the kid. Pollution or not, he is gonna have a hard time living in SoCal with a car! I definitely wanted to drive when I was 16, though my parents wouldn't let me get a license until I was 18. Getting chicks was definitely a big motivation for me though! 
Quoting Superfly (Reply 82):

That's ok. It's alright.

Are you referring to schools being sued over health/injury/sickness issues?
Scotty doesn't know...

Superfly

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:53 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 83):
Hey, I'm not saying I agree with the kid. Pollution or not, he is gonna have a hard time living in SoCal with a car! I definitely wanted to drive when I was 16, though my parents wouldn't let me get a license until I was 18. Getting chicks was definitely a big motivation for me though!

Haha! 
I didn't get in to a discussion with him about it. I didn't feel it was my place. My friend's concerns about his son's schools mirrors what AGM100 says as well as my oldest sister and her husband and a few other people I know that have children in the K-12 public education schools in the US. None of these people are conservative either like AGM100. It's just an observation that many parents have and it concerns them. Many just can't afford private school and can't afford to live in a posh suburb with good public schools.

Quoting san747 (Reply 83):
Are you referring to schools being sued over health/injury/sickness issues?

Yes.
Bring back the Concorde

Braniff747SP

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:28 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 33):
d love to send my kids to private school but they are few and far between in Norway, plus because they are seen as elitist which is a no no here the govt does it's best to make life hard for them. Makes it tough if you want to give your kids the best possible start to life.

Well, how are the public schools in Norway? I'm sure they are better than our American schools....
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!