Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

The Toothpaste Thread

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am

Well, I am so proud to be taking care of me choppers again...after a 14-year depression-induced oral hygiene...um, let's say "lull"...which culminated in a giant chunk of tooth just plain falling out one night, scaring me enough to finally go see a dentist who took some X-rays and told me, to my surprise, that I get to keep all my teeth.

(I just needed one root canal, three huge fillings (ow), four itty bitty fillings, one ultrasonic water-pulse cleaning (ow....yes ow, the dental industry found a way to make WATER hurt...), and a $450 crown.)

Everything is done now except the crown...need to wait a bit till I have the dough for it.

I have become so excited about keeping these teeth of mine that I have been making my presence well-known within the toothpaste market. Tubes of Colgate, Aquafresh, and Arm & Hammer Dental Care adorn my bathroom sinktop. I wonder which toothpaste brand I will end up being most loyal to? Perhaps one of those three, perhaps another one...   

Tonight, I bought my first tube of Pepsodent. I went on Wikipedia to see what I could find about all the different toothpaste brands out there and Pepsodent stands out as one that actually has a "heritage," if a toothpaste can be said to have such. It's been around since the 1920's!! It's made appearances in popular culture in the "Bloody Mary" song from South Pacific and in "You're the Top" from Anything Goes!!! It was long advertised as containing irium!! It was later discovered that irium doesn't exist!! And most of all, the packaging on the tube I bought tonight says it is an All-American brand. We are still enough within range of Fourth of July for that to have weight.

I was heartened for half a second to learn that Gleem is still available...I have the greatest memories of finding it in my grandparents' house in Chicago as a wee tot in the 1970's and being fascinated by the green sparkles, but I've never seen the stuff on store shelves in my adult life. Turns out it's made by Procter & Gamble, whom I boycott, so there's no hope there...sigh. I get to keep my teeth though, that's what matters.

Dentists and hygienists alike have told me it doesn't matter which toothpaste you use, as long as it's got fluoride in it, in the form of sodium fluoride or sodium monofluorophosphate. Some pastes in the past used to contain calcium fluoride, but that was bad news because the bond twixt the calcium and the fluoride wouldn't break down so the fluoride wouldn't be freed to do whatever it's technically supposed to be doing in there.

My hygienist said she doesn't like the "tartar control" pastes because they contain abrasives that actually are rough on your teeth and make them more sensitive....nice going.

So, what brand do you use?   
Pancakes are delicious.

jwenting

RE: The Toothpaste Thread

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:44 am

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
My hygienist said she doesn't like the "tartar control" pastes because they contain abrasives that actually are rough on your teeth and make them more sensitive....nice going.

yup. Same with all those "whitening" toothpastes. They literally scour your teeth.
I wish I were flying

Braniff747SP

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 am

This has to be one of the stupidest questions I've seen on A.net, but, oh well.

Aquafresh, usually.... Why? because it's what my mum likes, so when she buys it, she buys for me. Do I care? No, not a t
all. Crest, Colgate, et al... all the same to me.

By the way, why do you boycott Procter & Gamble?
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Dazed767

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 am

Aquafresh Iso Active is pretty awesome. It turns from a gel to foam in your mouth, almost like shaving cream.

sw733

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 am

I buy whatever is on sale usually, so it's always different. Right now I have like 3 tubes of Crest sitting under my sink...after that, who knows.

Springbok747

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:45 am

Colgate mint something..its usually on sale..so I buy that. Used to use Listerine toothpaste (this one was actually made in the USA), but I haven't been able to find it anywhere lately.
אני תומך בישראל

nws2002

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 4):
I buy whatever is on sale usually, so it's always different. Right now I have like 3 tubes of Crest sitting under my sink...after that, who knows.

I'm the same way. Whatever is on sale, I have a coupon for, or seems like the best deal when I need it.

OA260

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 pm

I use this , love it and really keeps my teeth clean and white :

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/6eebd938.jpg

poz2brs

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Wow, we're plumbing the depths now.

OK,

Toothpaste - Colgate something or other.
Soap - Dove, I'm a sensitive sort.
Toilet Paper - Andrex (I love the thought of wiping my ass on puppies).

Anything else? I've always wanted to share my tips on haemorrhoid cream...
I'm finding it hard to believe, I'm in Devon.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:38 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 5):
Used to use Listerine toothpaste (this one was actually made in the USA), but I haven't been able to find it anywhere lately.

Well, I did a little scraping, and this was the best I could do...   

BTW, I doubt that a toothpaste's Americanity was what mattered to you, but if you will use an American brand, apparently it shall have to be Pepsodent. (That's the all-American brand; see above.)
Pancakes are delicious.

desertjets

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I feel your pain about the dentist. After a similar period of neglect I finally went to the dentist. Bad news is that the worst tooth needed a root canal and a crown (go back in a few more weeks to get the permanent crown fitted for the 2nd time) and the other really bad tooth will likely need a large filling. Other than one other tooth needing a small filing everything was in good shape and all I'll need is a cleaning. I was very happy to hear that as I was convinced that my mouth was in much worse shape.

But to answer the question I use Colgate Total paste. I don't like the gel toothpastes very much.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Since I had braces, I switched from Close Up and Aquafresh to Colgate Total. It's the brand my orthodontist recommended and now, nearly 10 years later, it's the only toothpaste I've used so far.

I wonder why people are so afraid to go to the dentist. I've had nearly 10 forced extractions (8 baby teeth and 2 permanent teeth) as well as 4 wisdom teeth removed and I still go to the dentist. Granted, I get scared sometimes during check-up, hoping I don't get a cavity. But other than that, there's nothing to be afraid of.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 2):
This has to be one of the stupidest questions I've seen on A.net, but, oh well.

Well, you don't HAVE to answer it.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHeLRJAE3I&feature=related
That was what came to mind when I saw this.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

desertjets

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 11):
I wonder why people are so afraid to go to the dentist.

For me personally I have a fear of needles that is pretty bad at times. i was a bit of a basket case a few years ago when I had a tetanus shot for grad school. And generally being poked and proded isn't exactly my thing.

And before my dentist appointment I watched some clips of dental procedures on YouTube.... which did nothing to ease my anxiety. But i get there, have my bite wing and pano x-rays done, the dentist does his exam and gives me the news. I ask if he can use nitrous b/c I am nervous. Turns out they don't have any in the office but he was really comforting and helped ease my fears. To be honest the novocaine injection wasn't the worst thing in the world but once I was numb my entire procedure was rather uneventful. in fact it is a rather curious sensation as they use the files to clean out your root canals. The worse part was the pressure of the clamp that was used to hold the dental dam around my tooth and then the impressions they had to do for my crown (which took three attempts). That and a few hours later when the novocaine wore off.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

andz

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I have used Aquafresh for as long as I can remember.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 2):
Aquafresh, usually.... Why? because it's what my mum likes

In this country the adverts used to say "Aquafresh does it all in one..... mum!"
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

einsteinboricua

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 12):
For me personally I have a fear of needles that is pretty bad at times. i was a bit of a basket case a few years ago when I had a tetanus shot for grad school. And generally being poked and proded isn't exactly my thing.

what people don't know is that the needles barely hurt at all. When I get a dose of Novocaine, I feel perhaps a little sting, but sometimes the dentist uses like a numbing paste before inserting the injection so I don't even feel anything.

Another thing: the explorer doesn't even hurt. It just looks for crevices in the enamel. Unless you have a big cavity, you won't even feel it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

WESTERN737800

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:55 pm

I took about a 6 year break from going to the dentist. I've always used Colgate whitning paste. It works good for me. The dentist was surprised by how good my teeth looked after not going for 6 years.
Bring back Western Airlines!

comorin

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 pm

For a unique taste, you should try Kolynos. It's not available in the USA, methinks. But somewhere on this planet, I'm sure it is.

Dare to be different..

Phen

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 16):
For a unique taste, you should try Kolynos

You should try Corsodyl toothpaste for a unique taste!   

comorin

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Quoting Phen (Reply 17):
Quoting comorin (Reply 16):
For a unique taste, you should try Kolynos

You should try Corsodyl toothpaste for a unique taste!

I will keep it in mind - is it vile?

so Airstud, real men in India chew twigs from the Neem tree - non of this sissy toothpaste stuff.

richm

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:56 pm

I use Sensodyne because I have sensitive teeth and without it, I would be in agony. Not quite sure why I have sensitive teeth though, I usually get good feedback from the dentist.

mal787

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:49 am

It easy for me , after loosing most of my teeth in an accodent I just put them in a glass os sterodent daily. I do brush my gums lightly with colgate daily but it is so much quicker .

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

aaway

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:57 am

Toms Of Maine Propolis and Myrrh (Fennel flavor)
"Propolis and myrrh are herbal resins we've found promote a naturally clean, healthy-mouth feeling. Propolis and Myrrh toothpaste helps fight plaque with regular brushing, and we've added xylitol for great taste! Fluoride-free formula: Some people do not want fluoride in their toothpaste."
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

Phen

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting aaway (Reply 21):
Some people do not want fluoride in their toothpaste

Not a good idea   

Quoting comorin (Reply 18):
I will keep it in mind - is it vile?

Absolutely!   

PSA53

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 pm

I use Crest regular tooth paste as long as i can remember.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Geezer

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

[quote=Airstud,reply=0]

Turns out it's made by Procter & Gamble, whom I boycott,

What a coincidence ! I'm boycotting "Push & Grunt" also !

I'm surprised no one has mentioned my "favorite brand".........Aim ! Why ? Three or four reasons really.......
!. it's usually the cheapest brand at Krogers, ( where I usually buy it )
2. I like its taste
3. It works just as well as all the rest
4. It has become a "habit' !

Even though I am a very strong believer in frequent "brushing", there is a lot more you can do to avoid tooth decay; the dentists will all tell you to "floss all the teeth you want to keep"; I used to floss a lot more than I do anymore; ( there's a "quicker, easier" way! Spend 20 bucks or so and get yourself a "Water Pic".........the thing amounts to a small "pressure washer" for your teeth; it gets EVERYTHING that's lodged between your teeth, OUT ! And that's really where good oral hygiene starts........getting the food and other "gunk" out; Plus.........it just "feels good" when your teeth are all nice and clean, and your tongue doesn't "feel" "stuff" between your teeth.

Flossing is great too, but it's very time consuming, it can be very hard on the gums..........and I just tend to be "lazy" !

As for the "mighty" Proctor & Gamble..............maybe I'll start a "thread" on them sometime........................

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

aaway

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Quoting Phen (Reply 22):
Quoting aaway (Reply 21):
Some people do not want fluoride in their toothpaste

Not a good idea

I'm assuming the flag shown next to your handle accurately reflects your residency outside of the U.S. In the U.S., it's typical for municipal water systems (individual cities, counties, or co-ops of the previous classes) to flouridate the drinking water. Some areas, due to certain geophysical and/or subterrean features, actually have a higher than FDA recommended level of naturally occurring flouide, which results in periodic deflouridation efforts.

The accidental introduction of excess flouride, accumulating in the body, can have some detrimental affects.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:32 am

Quoting aaway (Reply 25):

I wouldn't say fluoridated drinking water is quite "typical" in the U.S. Some communities have it, some don't.

In any event, the amount of fluoride in a toothpaste is usually no higher than 0.76% sodium monofluorophosphate. Assuming people are brushing their teeth 2x or 3x daily with a toothbrush's worth of paste (letting alone the fact that most folks spit most of the consumed toothpaste out) and not swallowing entire tubes' worth on a daily basis - there is less than nothing to worry about with regard to the amount of fluoride in toothpaste.

There is significantly more to worry about with regard to tooth decay and cavities, both of which fluoride deftly prevents.
Pancakes are delicious.

Springbok747

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:09 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 9):
Well, I did a little scraping, and this was the best I could do...

Cool. The toothpaste that we used to get here was a bit different, it was very nice though..and part of the reason why I used to buy it was because it was made in the US. Most of the toothpaste we get here is made in China..yup..even toothpaste is made in China now, and I don't really trust food (or anything I put in my mouth) made in China (also why I stopped buying Oreo cookies..they are made in China now).
אני תומך בישראל

aaway

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 26):
I wouldn't say fluoridated drinking water is quite "typical" in the U.S. Some communities have it, some don't

From the CDC website:
"The fluoridation data indicate an increase in access to optimally fluoridated water from 184 million people or 69.2 percent of the U.S. population in 2006 to 195.5 million or 72.4 percent in 2008, the CDC said. The 2008 statistics were prepared using water system data reported by states to CDC’s Water Fluoridation Reporting System as of Dec. 31, 2008, and U.S. Census Bureau estimates from 2008."

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 am

Ya know what I don't think they've done yet, is pancakes-flavored toothpaste.
Pancakes are delicious.