Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

Android Phones And ITunes

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 pm

So I know that there is no iTunes for Android. Apple made that choice knowing that the iTunes syncability between the iPhone and iTunes would make the iPhone an attractive product.

I've broken my iPhone. I just ordered a new one for $750 but I'm how having some second thoughts. The new phone has arrived but I haven't broken the plastic (so I can still return it).

I have a HUGE amount of audio on iTunes. Much of it was bought through iTunes but even more of it is older stuff (electronic music from the Napster era). Is there an iTunes equivalent for the Android that I could transfer my files to? I've heard of DoubleTwist. Any others?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

signol

RE: Android Phones And ITunes

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm not aware of any software other than Itunes that can read the Apple proprietry file format. If that is indeed the case, you'd have to burn CDs of all your music and re-rip them to standard mp3 format.

One of the advantages of Android phones is that you can connect to a PC and it appears as a drive, so you can easily transfer files at the OS level. There are plenty of music players, as well as Media Player, that can play and organise your music, like Winamp.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

NIKV69

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
I just ordered a new one for $750

It is covered in gold?   
I am the Googlizer!!!

Tugger

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 1):
I'm not aware of any software other than Itunes that can read the Apple proprietry file format. If that is indeed the case, you'd have to burn CDs of all your music and re-rip them to standard mp3 format.

There are actually quite a few programs out there, both free and paid, that will convert AAC to MP3. No burning an re-ripping required. Just google "AAC to MP3".

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Springbok747

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):
It is covered in gold?

Nah. Don't you know...it has the Apple logo on it. That's what makes it so expensive   
אני תומך בישראל

NIKV69

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 4):
Nah. Don't you know...it has the Apple logo on it. That's what makes it so expensive

Yep why I will never buy one.   
I am the Googlizer!!!

racko

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 pm

The problem is not AAC itself, but Apple's DRM. There are easy ways to remove the DRM, but that would of course be illegal... 

As Android connects as a harddrive, it is compatible with just about every software out there (except iTunes of course). My personal favorite as a music player/sync program is Musicbee (http://getmusicbee.com/). Has all the stuff one needs and it actually is fast and not bloated like iTunes and many other music players.

BN747

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:00 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):
There are actually quite a few programs out there, both free and paid, that will convert AAC to MP3. No burning an re-ripping required. Just google "AAC to MP3".

Why go thru all that?

iTunes itself, allows you to convert all music files to MP3 format on the spot.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Delboy

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 pm

I got some Apple stickers when I got my IPad.

I'll sell them for £25, that way you can buy a cheap phone and put on the stickers and everyone will think you are really cool!!

It's all about brand.

bj87

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 pm

I actually just switched from an Iphone to an Android phone and transferring your music is a non issue really.

Quoting signol (Reply 1):
I'm not aware of any software other than Itunes that can read the Apple proprietry file format. If that
is indeed the case, you'd have to burn CDs of all your music and re-rip them to standard mp3 format.

There is no need to do any of that.

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):

Indeed there are.

You basically have two options
1) Open iTunes and connect your Android phone. Then select all the songs you wish to transfer to your phone and right click. Select "copy" go to the Phone folder (in explorer not iTunes) and paste it. Your music program on the phone will automatically find it and be able to play it. (I have only done this on a windows pc though. I put doubletwist on my mac before I tried so don't know if it works the same on a mac. My mac now automatically fires up doubletwist when I connect)

2) Install a program like doubletwist. (you can get it for free if you wish to sinc via a wire but will have to buy it for 3 bucks or so if you wish to use your wifi system.) and use it to sync. The program allows you to navigate to your iTunes library and select the play lists you wish to transfer.

I use the doubletwist music player on my phone as well and find it very user friendly and it has a great Widget.

I would also like to point out that there is an iTunes equivalent available for Android (my Samsung Galaxy came with one pre installed)

Hope this helped.

[Edited 2011-07-14 10:11:37]

Klaus

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 am

Quite a few misconceptions above.

Converting AAC to MP3 should never be done except when using an obsolete device which absolutely cannot deal with AAC, since this would substantially degrade sound quality.

AAC is simply the official, improved successor standard format of MP3 which provides substantially better sound quality and/or smaller files and which is supported by all up-to-date devices.

Apple has long stopped selling DRM-encrypted AAC; For quite a while already all files bought through iTunes can be copied freely and can be used on non-Apple devices as well (as far as covered by the respective laws applicable in your country). Older DRM files can be upgraded to being DRM-free and higher bitrate at the same time. (Bought files are signed with your account name. This doesn't affect interoperability but a freely P2P-circulating file could be traced back to you nevertheless, so don't do that.)

When you're ripping CDs yourself, AAC would be a good choice for high compression still at good sound quality (Lossless would be even better, but at the price of substantially higher data volume). Of course these self-ripped AAC files are also free from DRM restrictions.

Apple has developed iTunes primarily for use on a computer and as the officially supported computer interface to iPods and iOS devices. It has open and documented interfaces, however, so other manufacturers could provide extensions interacting with iTunes on one side and with their devices on the other. It's just that few of them bother to actually do that. This is not due to a restriction by Apple.