Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Casey Anthony & The Airlines

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Most likely, if she walked into a private eatery, she would be refused service. But can Red Lobster or Dennys, a mass public chain do that?

What about airlines? Can she be refused service on a flight, or not even allowed to board even though she's not a convicted felon?

I'm curious if OJ ever had problems with airlines after............ummmmm......you know......

Also heard that Exxon capatain Joseph Hazelwood was not treated kindly on a AS flight soon after......um.....you know.......

read this:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...sey-anthony-facebook-twitter_n.htm

See, there's a whole lot of people that want to do her harm. So can she be banned from an airline as a security risk? Remember Salmon Rushdie? Is he still banned from BA?

What do you think will likely happen as far as her flying?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

mayor

RE: Casey Anthony & The Airlines

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
See, there's a whole lot of people that want to do her harm. So can she be banned from an airline as a security risk?

No need to do her harm......she's enough of a screwup that bad kharma will come back, someday and bite her.

There's also no use in giving her a reason to sue anyone.......of course, any money she takes in will just go to those people that are suing her.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

ajd1992

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Why is it any of the airline's business? She's been convicted and has served her time. You can't still consider her guilty of murder if the court aquitted her of it. She probably did have something to do with the death of her child but legally she did not do it.

Regarding if she actually wanted to fly - that is a different matter.

jfk777

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Once Frank Lorenzo was trying to take a Delta flight from Salt Lake City, the plane suddenly had a "mechanical" issue. The pilot would not fly him. Given the antimosity between unions and Frank is udestandable.

Whatever Casey Anthony is "guilty" of, she has not taken money away from airline employees. Her actions have NOT been anti-airline.

rlwynn

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Who is Casey Anthony?
I can drive faster than you

cygnuschicago

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:19 pm

More pertinent to the matter, would any airline allow an unaccompanied minor to be seated next to her?

For that matter, would her lawyer or any of the jurors allow her to babysit their kids?
If you cannot do the math, your opinion means squat!

notaxonrotax

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 4):
Who is Casey Anthony?

Google, or read the (international) news!!
It´s all over!!!!

No Tax On Rotax

[Edited 2011-07-13 13:42:59]
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

sulley

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 pm

As someone who lives in Orlando, please... close this thread.

For the love of all that is good... no more!!!
In thrust we trust!

flymia

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Anyway seems as thought she will go into some type of witness protection type program. So I would imagine this means her name changes legally etc.. Which means her ID will not say Caey Anthony and things like that. No one will even know. Even if there is no protection program for her I am sure she will change her name. So the airlines wont even know. Not like they would care much.

Quoting cygnuschicago (Reply 5):
For that matter, would her lawyer or any of the jurors allow her to babysit their kids?

Most likely not.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

strandedinbgm

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 8):
Anyway seems as thought she will go into some type of witness protection type program

Not a program per se, more of a change of of name, appearance and place of residence. Once that happens, I don't see any problem with her living as normal of a life considering her circumstances, this includes flying commercially - provided she stays out of the public eye and not attempt to capitalize on it.
It's 737s, 747s and 380s. Not 737's, 747's and 380's. Learn to use the apostrophe for crying out loud.

OA412

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Honestly, why should the airlines or any other private business deny her service? It's not society's place to punish her for her actions.

But can Red Lobster or Dennys, a mass public chain do that?

Yes they can. As private entitities, they are fully within their rights to refuse to serve her.

What about airlines? Can she be refused service on a flight, or not even allowed to board even though she's not a convicted felon?

I suppose the flight attendants on board could refuse to serve her.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

richierich

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Most likely, if she walked into a private eatery, she would be refused service. But can Red Lobster or Dennys, a mass public chain do that?

Most likely??
I think, most likely, she would be served the same as anybody else. Maybe people feel she got away with murdering her toddler but the court system found her not guilty, denying her service because you feel differently would be foolish. I wouldn't let her babysit my kids, but I wouldn't give a rats behind if she was on my flight or sitting next to me. If she committed the crime most of us, and Nancy Grace, feel she did, she'll get her punishment one day, in this I do believe.

I'd rather sit next to her on an aircraft than somebody who had recently visited a "terror camp" in Afghanistan.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 10):
Honestly, why should the airlines or any other private business deny her service? It's not society's place to punish her for her actions.

Exactly.
None shall pass!!!!

nws2002

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Legally, each individual airline could refuse her service. Realistically they have no reason to.

ltbewr

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 am

I don't think the airline could keep off Casey Anthony if she had a paid ticket, the TSA passes her through security and otherwise behaves legally. The real problem may be, as happened with OJ Simpson for a few years due to similar emotions after he was acquitted on the murder charges as to his wife and Mr. Goldman, like Ms. Anthony was. OJ Simpson had to face other face other pax openly vocal about him on the same flight or sitting near them, demanding he be removed from the flight, up to making threats of violence and otherwise making a nasty situation on a plane. Some of the obnoxous pax had to be booted off the flight, causing delays, etc. .

In 2007 there was this thread (which I made a post to) as to OJ Simpson on a LAS-MIA flight shortly after being bailed out on the charges of armed robbery and other related ones, where a 'reporter' tried to buy for $10,000 for a seat behind OJ for that flight:
OJ Simpson Flies US (by TOLtommy Sep 20 2007 in Civil Aviation)?threadid=3618775&searchid=3618775&s=Simpson#ID3618775
There could be a similar problem with any flight Ms. Anthony may choose to take in the foreseeable future, of reporters trying to get on the flight with it's problems.

[Edited 2011-07-13 19:13:16]

bond007

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:11 am

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 12):
Legally, each individual airline could refuse her service.

On what grounds???

Have you seen what happens when airlines refuse service to a fat person, or somebody dressed inappropriately .. now someone they "don't like" !!

If they are worried about other pax reactions, then they should refuse boarding to those pax.

Whether you think she killed her daughter or not, she was found not guilty in one of the finest justice systems in the world. The worse outcome would be to be prosecute on no evidence.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

lasbagman

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:13 am

If any airlines refuse to transport her or flight attendants refuse to service her, she can sue and win. She is not a felon and was aquitted of murder. I personally believe she is guilty, but as the jury said, not guilty does not mean not innocent.

crownvic

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:33 am

I live in Orlando too...Im picking her up Sunday from the Orange County Correctional Facility when she is released, were gonna head over to Tradeport drive and watch the action at MCO....

flymia

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 am

Quoting crownvic (Reply 16):
I live in Orlando too...Im picking her up Sunday from the Orange County Correctional Facility when she is released, were gonna head over to Tradeport drive and watch the action at MCO....

Sounds like a good time!
Quoting lasbagman (Reply 15):
I personally believe she is guilty, but as the jury said, not guilty does not mean not innocent.

"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

bond007

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 am

Quoting lasbagman (Reply 15):
I personally believe she is guilty, but as the jury said, not guilty does not mean not innocent.

Yes, but it means not guilty, so you obviously know something the prosecution doesn't! Perhaps you should have told the police about your evidence  

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 am

I'm not sure what this has to do with GenAv.

Would suggest moving to non-Av or Polls/Prefs.

Let's keep this forum civil and stuff like this out of it...
What gets measured gets done.

GSPFlyer

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 am

Am I the only person in the country that wouldn't recognize her if she walked in my front door and smacked me in the face?

And to answer the question, no, a major airline can't refuse to seat/serve her, or they would face a huge lawsuit. Now would a flight attendant who felt strongly about it give her a warm drink, cold coffee, crushed pretzels? Yeah, that could happen. Flying, or going out in public at all for that matter, probably isn't very high on her "to do" list. Unless, of course, she is leaving the country, which isn't a bad idea when a whole country hates you.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:11 am

Quoting bond007 (Reply 14):

Did Salmon Rushdie win any legal battle against BA?

Quoting crownvic (Reply 16):

I can see it now:

Sir you are under arrest!

Why, because Im with Casey Anthony???????

No, because you re spotting at MCO............and THAT is illegal !
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

bond007

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 21):
Did Salmon Rushdie win any legal battle against BA?

They refused to carry him because of fear of terrorism .... hardly a comparable example!

... and it's Salman .. he's not a fish.

Jimbo

[Edited 2011-07-13 20:18:55]

goblin211

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 am

I heard OJ was denied service at a restaurant in SLC. I'm sure it may/will happen to Casey one day but airlines have more money on the line by faking an issue or risking a lawsuit than a person's restaurant.
From the airport with love

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:31 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 19):

Ummmm........excuse me.......did you happen to see the title of the thread?? It has the word AIRLINES in it. I just had two simple questions related to her air travel in the near future. It's not my fault people want to debate the trial again.

Quoting bond007 (Reply 22):

Sorry, I dont rin into many Salmans.....he he

ThirtyEcho

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:24 am

This is the stupidest thread in the history of Anet. Lock it!

johnclipper

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:18 am

All we have to do is look at O.J. SImpson to see how this would work out...
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

wn700driver

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:34 am

Lol, this is so funny.

I'm not seeing the controversy here. She was found not guilty; that's the end of it. I'm amazed that it hasn't yet occurred to the american public that that could have happened because the prosecution was wrong about whatever transpired that summer. Certainly wouldn't be the first time a glorified lynch mob was wrong about something. I'm certainly not saying she's innocent either, just that there's no way of knowing now.

Anyway, that's not the point. No airline or restaurant chain has any reason to deny her service unless of course they just haven't been sued recently and miss the feeling. So this just won't happen.

As an aside, we hear about people who are truly evil, depraved, etc, etc... But I wonder just how many of us here actually knew it when seated next to such an individual. This is also something there's no way of knowing. But I'll bet if statistics were available for that sort of thing, it would be often enough that something like this or OJ would hardly register...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Maverick623

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:39 am

Red Lobster and Denny's are private establishments. The law sees no difference between them and a mom-and-pop outfit.

In short, no. Airlines fall under a category called "common carrier". They do not have the same "right of refusal of service" as a restaurant does.

The only way she could be denied boarding is if she popped up on the Do Not Fly list, which is unlikely to say the least.

So can she be banned from an airline as a security risk?

Nope.

Quoting strandedinbgm (Reply 9):
provided she stays out of the public eye and not attempt to capitalize on it.

Like that's gonna happen.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 10):

I suppose the flight attendants on board could refuse to serve her.

And they would quickly find themselves without jobs.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:00 am

Men sitting anomynously behind a computer in their underwear........you are so brave!!!!!!

With all the hatred being hurled at me, dare I ask another question???????????

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 27):

To your point, which I agree with.........remember the guy that attacked the CO employee at EWR? A jury found him NOT GUILTY, yet that didn't stop CO from banning him for life. So now, was that action by CO illegal?

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 24):

Ummmm........excuse me.......did you happen to see the title of the thread?? It has the word AIRLINES in it. I just had two simple questions related to her air travel in the near future. It's not my fault people want to debate the trial again.

You could tie anything to airlines, does that mean it belongs in Civil Aviation? Just take a loot at all the topics moved to Polls/Pres and Non-Aviation DAILY.

This will follow close behind, I can only hope..
What gets measured gets done.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:17 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 30):

Polls and prefs fine, I get stuff moved there all the time, but non av???? Its about air travel, legality of airlines, airline safety.

But whats really irking me is that you seem to be downright OFFENDED by this thread.

Unless I'm misreading you.

wn700driver

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:30 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 28):

Red Lobster and Denny's are private establishments. The law sees no difference between them and a mom-and-pop outfit.
Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 28):

In short, no. Airlines fall under a category called "common carrier". They do not have the same "right of refusal of service" as a restaurant does.

You may have a point in the most abstract & theoretical sense. But I happen to have about three years of operational mgmt experience with one of those companies. I can say without fear of contradiction, at least in the case of the chain owned by Darden Restaurants, that she or anyone in her "situation" would not be refused service on that basis alone.

As a practical matter, it takes an awful damned lot to be refused service at just about any major chain restaurant. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's quite a bit more seldom than this thread realizes.

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 29):

To your point, which I agree with.........remember the guy that attacked the CO employee at EWR? A jury found him NOT GUILTY, yet that didn't stop CO from banning him for life. So now, was that action by CO illegal?

Hmmm... To my eyes, that looks like quite a bit more of a clear-cut case of safety being put to risk. I think CO is clear in that instance, and a court would likely uphold that call, if it came to that. But then, it may be expensive for CO to make their case if the need arose. Do you know, btw, if that ban carries over to UA now? If so, lol, that guy is even more screwed...

Anyway, I was just thinking (in my original point) of something more latent. Not necessarily dangerous while you're there, but the kind of thing that would give you some major league chills if you knew the full story. I had an experience on the end half of a trip like that once. It was casual enough that I never felt the need to be immediately concerned, but I sure am glad to have nothing to do with that particular young lady beyond that... I'll bet that happens more than we realize. Anyway, enough of my rambling...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

iflykpdx

Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Anyone else think the thread title would be a good name for a band?
Airport Management - UND